Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Recurring sore throat and swollen glands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I've been sick for the past two months. I've had four bouts of illnesses. With the first I has flu-like symptoms, followed by a post nasal drip sore throat. After that I got a sudden severe sore throat, but it was only on the left side. It felt like someone was ripping out my tonsil! I had very swollen glands and a fever but no cough.  I tested negative for strep twice, and got a culture done that came back negative. I went on antibiotics until I was better.

A week later the sore throat came back in full force, but this time only on the right side. I went on antibiotics again and tested negative for mono twice. For a week and a half I had a mild sore throat that felt like you're regular sore throat. Day by day my right tonsil hurt more and more, and it's getting so I have that "throaty" voice again, and swallowing is painful. This isn't your "scratchy sore throat." It's more of a dull pain that intensifies when I swallow.

I did take antibiotics for two years, which I stopped about four months before I got sick the first time. I've read that they can really lower your immunity and cause you to get sick often. I have also found myself feeling spacey a lot lately. Not sure if that's a symptom associated with my illnesses, or if I'm just low on energy.

Any ideas? This is getting really annoying.
May I ask why were you taking ATB for "two years."  

Was the Mono testing a rapid test or an actual culture?