Recurring strep throat
I am 25 years old and have had strep three times in the last two months. The first case was horrible. I ran a high fever, fatigue, extremely sore throat, my whole body ached, neck hurt the worst... I was prescribed Penicillin for ten days. Three weeks later, I started running a fever, sore throat, the whole nine yards again. I was given a Penicillin shot. Two weeks later I started feelin like I was catching a cold, congested, cold, slight sore throat. I noticed my tonsils were swollen much like they were both times before. Once again I was swabbed and tested for strep, along with mono. The strep test was positive again, and I was given Clindamycin four times a day for ten days. I've got three more days left of taking it. I work in Surgery, no one at work has gotten sick, my family, my friends, including my roommate have yet to catch strep. A doctor I scrub with told me to rinse with listerine every two to four hours and to start takin vitamin A and or E. I threw away my tooth brush after the second time I had strep, and cleaned my house with lysol. Why do I keep gettin sick and no one else? The only other time I've ever had strep was when I was about 9 years old, I got a shot and started feelin better the next day. I'm curious if my immune system is low, and I'm continuously getting strep from somewhere, or if I am a carrier, do I really need to be returning to work in Surgery with patients that are sick themselves? How do I get cured and is it possible that I have something other than strep?
Has your doctor considered a tonsillectomy?
The doctor who swabbed my throat all three times has not mentioned a tonsillectomy, and the doctor I work in surgery with said if he was me he would not have my tonsils taken out. I'm goin to get a third opinion from an ENT soon. But I also know several people who have had strep and did not have tonsils.