Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Red Throat for a month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Red Throat for a month

My throat has been red for a month and over the last two weeks a breathing problem has developed (heartbeat, tight throat/chest, can't get a full breath of air). I'm fairly healthy and usually run about 5 miles every other day and get to the gym for an hour/day 3-5 times a week. I have been struggling with both of these activities and it's starting to get to me mentally.

I've been tested for a whole bunch of STD's and all results came back negative, standard blood test and that came back normal, I've done throat swaps, no strep no bacterial according to those. GP didn't know so I went to an ENT and he prescribed me Augmentin in spite of this information. Just got back from my run and again I'm struggling to breathe, it's day 4 of the anti biotics and my throat is still as red as ever.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I could ask the ENT to do if (when) I have to go back in 10 days. Any help would be appreciated it, I want my lungs back
also, occasionally the air that I'm breathing in and out feels like fire
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There is an entity called exercise induced Asthma, here as the person starts exercise, the changes in the environmental air breathed in trigger an attack of asthma, causing cough and breathlessness. Have yourself evaluated for the same. This can be detected by a spirometry test. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Most likely due to acid reflux, throat is still red but has lost a lot of color since I started taking Zantac and dieting about 2 weeks ago.