Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Removing Adenoids(adenoids) in kids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Removing Adenoids(adenoids) in kids

Hi. My son is 34 months old. He has a problem breathing while sleeping. We did a sleep study, the result came back with obstructive sleep apnea. He saw an ENT, who did all kinds of tests a n checked  everything, finaly it was his adenoids (adenoids), very larg, blocking his airway in his nose.
The ENT said the only chois is removing it. Did any of you have any idea or inf. that could help me to feel more comfotable. Thank you
Hi.  We're going throught the same thing.  My son is almost 6, had the sleep study, found apnea.  Saw the ENT and said his adenoids (adenoids) were enlarged and advised removal. We went for a 2nd opinion and the doc only viewed an xray and said adenoids (adenoids) weren't that large but also recommended removal.  Needless to say that wasn't very helpful.  We have the surgery sched. for May19th and I am a wreck...mostly b/c I don't think that's going to cure it...he doesn't even snore.  I hate to put him through this if it's not even going to help him but I don't know what else to do...he would NEVER wear the CPAP mask so we have to start somewhere....he is exhausted and his behaviour is horrible which I feel is mostly related to his poor sleep.  Feel free to compare notes!  Good luck!
My daughter had her tonsils and adnoids taken out last month (shes 22mos) It really helped alot! She breathes better, eats and drinks better and gets more oxygen as she sleeps (also has apnea) and no more runny nose! shes going for more sleep study/echocardiogram within this coming month. Then we'll see the real effects this sugery had on her. I highly recommend it. I posted another comment that didnt go through, maybe I did somthing wrong??? Good luck.  KK.
Well I guess I should tell you, our doctor(ENT) also didnt think she had overly large tonsils or adnoids either, but when he actually got in thier to remove them, there was more than he'd thought. (the whole surgery only took 30 minutes)Also as far as cpap mask goes, my baby never would wear anything on her face either so I devised a "oxygen tent" with the  oxygen tube ductaped to a funnel which I tied to her crib and hung over her head and then draped a sheet over the whole crib. She was monitored with this setup and did in fact get enough oxygen that way. It was with the use of an oxygen consentrator (plugs into the wall and regenerates oxygen) so no tanks to deal with. I hope this helps you all. Just have the pain meds they need, to minimize they're suffering afterwards. Also if its only adnoids being taken out, I understand they only take 3 days for recovery, whereas tonsils take closer to 2 weeks. Just dont let them blow they're nose and give them lots of ice cream to minimize bleeding (cold things do this) I dont think it matters but my baby also has downs syndrome, in case this applies to anyone.
I could let you know how her other test come out and you let us know how your surgery goes. Just make sure you like your doctor is all I can say. They even have classes at the hospital for 6year olds to explain the whole ordeal before hand. Recovery isnt very bad on kids compared to adults, so Iv heard. TTYL...KK