Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Reoccurring sore throat and tonsillectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

For the past ten years I have had reoccurring sore throats, about 1-2 weeks a month.  They get very sore to the point I am in constant pain.  They do seem to coincide with "allergies"- I say it like that because I have had the scratch test and injections and did not show to have any seasonal allergies.  However, with my sore throat I have a lot of post nasal drip (possible cause of sore throat?). I take a combo of ibuphrophen, tylenol, and musinex to manage the pain.  About 7 years ago I had reoccurring tonsillitis, saw an ENT and he put me on a strong antibiotic for 3 weeks.  That seem to kick the tonsillitis, but I still get the sore throat  with my tonsils turing bright red and my right tonsil still gets slightly inflamed.  I have tried allergy meds- currently given nasonex for it and I find it only masks symptoms (I.e dries me out) and doesn't make the pain go away 100%.  I have had a hard time trying to get a referral to an ENT again- have had different PCMs the last 2 years so no consistency.  My first question- will removal the tonsil help the sore throat? 2) should i push to see an ENT
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, yes you should push to see an ENT specialist. Tonsillectomy is advised if there is recurrent streptococcal tonsillitis, recurrent peritonsillar abscess and chronic tonsillitis. Recurrent tonsillitis is an indication for tonsillectomy, as the tonsils may harbor the infection which keeps flaring up, or they may develop new infections. So, discuss this with your doctor it may prevent the repeated episodes. And the procedure is actually easier to do for an adult as the diameter of the oral cavity is larger. The post-operative care and diet can be similar to that of a child, keep painkillers handy after the surgery. Take care.
Thank you for the respone! I will talk with my dr. again.