Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Repost : Pls pls help, uncontrolled excess mucus in my throat - how to ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Repost : Pls pls help, uncontrolled excess mucus in my throat - how to cure??

Hi everybody, just got repost if anyone can help..
Last year I had an accident that caused nasal deviation. Later when I see doctor, he told me to have a contrast CT sinus and the result everything was fine, only my nasal would be sensitive for the rest of my life - no sinusitis is mentioned.
Then 2 months after the accident, I started to have a extra mucus around back of my throat. The mucus is draining down the back of my throat, thick whitish in color also sticky like a gel. I keep hawking and spitting to clear my throat. If I open my mouth, there is a saliva patching around uvula, anterior pillar and tongue, creating a layer.
One month after, I had a fever and went to another internist. He suggested to have CT sinus again and from the result, I had a slight sinusitis. I've been given some antibiotics and nasal spray but the mucus still draining and I feel it closed my throat. Afterward I had many times of sore throat and pressure pain in my head so I went to see some ENT doctors. They said sinus was clear, but they suggest me looking for gastroenterology to have further check. So I went to doctor and do the gastroscopy. Results is no bacteria found and he said it was stress that trigger GERD (acid reflux). I also check to neurological doctor  and he said the pressure pain over head is because a tension. He only gave me relaxing medicine. Now almost 6 months I under GERD medication, the gastric pain is better but mucus keep coming, pressure pain still develop around my forehead, and my nose is blocked alternately. When I lying in bed, i feel that my nose inside is sort of congested and stuffy. But no mucus is draining from my nostrils. My tongue also whitish in color and sour/bitter in the morning when I wake up and it last during whole day. At first I thought the whitish tongue is due to GERD. Moreover my eyes having a discomfort pain, my under eyes also get swelling - bluish/ purplish in color. I keep having a pressure pain all over my forehead.

Bottom line is, the extra mucus makes me miserable, breathless and affect my personal life. Whenever I talking, the more is mucus so I need to spitting frequently. Worst is when I cry, the mucus coming out a lot, thick and clear through nostrils, and crying definitely increase the mucus production.

I found information that maybe the nasal deviation causing sinusitis and non allergic rhinitis. So the inflammation of sinusitis creates nasal drip 24/7 and spreads to mucus glands, also throat.
Doctor had given me anti-histamin to ease the drip but as you can summarize from my story, nothing is work.
Until now, my throat still dry and burning, I have slight coughing so I keep back and forth to ENT doctor to cure it. In additional, my tongue papils look swelling in several area and I have dry mouth. Have no idea is it because of acid reflux from GERD, sinusitis inflammation or combination of them?

Based on my story, I really hope there is a solution that could fix my problem and bring back my normal life, instead of some reliever symptoms. I almost gave up now because every doctor I met never really listen and understand my problem. They just keep telling it is no big deal and I need to get used to it. Thank you for everybody who leaves any comment or advise, really appreciate it !  
Tags: sinusitis, post nasal drip, pressure pain in head, super mucus, deviated septum, sore throat, dry mouth
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Check with your doctor to see if it has recurred.

Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate. An allergy specialist may be able to help you detect allergic reactions.

In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi Dr. Anitha, first of all thank you for replying and for your observation. Anyway, I went to many doctor (for many times) to find the solution but nobody really aware and put attention about the post nasal drip, that seems very important for me as the patient. I am worry because right now I feel the coordination between my tongue and teeth is disturbed due to sticky saliva. Sometimes when I eat or sleep, I bite my tongue and several area of my papil tongue become injured. It makes me afraid of eating and sleeping.
For information, three years ago I had a heart surgery for endocarditis and I have done chest X-ray, dental X-ray, ECHO and EKG for many times which I totally forgot. So my heart doctor told me (in fact he emphasizing) that I should not do any X-ray nor other things that involved radiation unless really necessary. But because the accident, I had to do sinus CT scan 2 times and cranial X-ray 1 time. So do you think it is still safe for me to have another scan based on my historical? My last CT scan was last October.
And as for the GERD, I was given motillium 2x10 mg, pariet 20 mg (different dose for several phase), ranitidine and other medicine since November last year. Until now, I still have heartburn around my throat, mouth and stomach. I also given anti histamine and nasonex for PND but it didn't help me much. Actually I don't have runny nose, however my nostrils is clogged one side especially at night (since the accident my nostrils become like that). Also when I crying the mucus increasing and blocked my nostrils but not dripping out. And when I sleep (sorry if gross) I sort of slobber maybe because I breathe through mouth :(. Right now my periods become irreguler (I am 29 years old) and I have constipation, maybe it's the side effect I have no idea. I feel breathless like asthma coz the mucus close my throat and my mouth become dry.
My questions is :
- is that possible to do the MRI instead of CT scan?
- is my deviated septum caused the sinusitis? Or perhaps there is a chance of other problems in my head caused by the accident?
- is aching eyes and bluish color under eyes because of sinus inflamation (inflammation)?
- did the sinusitis trigger the GERD or the opposite?
- could sinusitis saline or nasal irrigation help clearing the extra-mucus?
- does my tongue become very sensitive/aching due to acid reflux?

I really looking forward for your reply and sorry for very long questions since I kind of feel lost right now. Thank you Dr Anitha ! :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello Julia no problem. Hope you are good.

Agree with your doctor, too much of radiation is not good. CT scan helps to study bony structures better and it is the gold standard for diagnosing sinusitis. A markedly deviated septum can cause problems with drainage of the sinuses and can result in sinusitis. Yes the discoloration of the eyes could be due to sinusitis. Allergic shiners are darkness and swelling underneath the eyes caused by sinus congestion. Sinusitis and GERD are two separate entities and are not related. Nasal saline irrigations over the counter like NeilMed or Neti pot are very effective and are used to treat sinusitis. And acid reflux can cause a sensitive tongue.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.