Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Results of an MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Results of an MRI

I've posted here before about the saga I've gone through concerning chronic mouth and throat issues.  Seen many ENT docs and had scopes and other tests done. I have had blood work and two biopsies done for Sjorgens, all negative.  Two ENT docs said there was nothing else they could do for me and said see my primary care physician.  :-(  Went back to another ENT doc because I was now having a feeling of fullness in my left ear.  I always have a feeling of something in my throat, more like mucus from post nasal drip, which is not the case.  I cannot cough it up or swallow it, etc.  This ENT doc was going to order another CT scan but, due to all the x-rays I've been getting, ordered an MRI.  Let me preface this with the fact that I do have thyroid nodules and have had two biopsies which were negative. I go for follow up for that again in May, I believe.  I also had an odd result on an Immunofixation test (wasn't even sure what that was) and was referred to an oncologist who said the reading was low, don't worry about it and will be tested again in a year.  I think that will be in May also.
Got the report from the MRI, done last week, and in part it says "small jugular chair lymph nodes, in keeping with reactive change, without bulky adenopathy."  I have no idea what that means. This is on the left side where I also know I have some plaque in the carotid artery that goes to my face,  Cardiologist didn't seem concerned about it.  I also have lordosis at C4-5 and cervical lordosis of C5-6 and C6-7.  I won't see my doctor until next week to go over these results.  I have never seen mention of jugular lymph nodes in a report and wonder if this is anything to worry about.  Any info would be appreciated.  I really need to stop reading these reports.  
Tags: MRI
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough.

The throat congestion could have caused reactive lymph node enlargement. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Typed a lot then lost it.  Have not seen the ENT doc yet. Having bad days yesterday and today.  Can hardly swallow. Dry and bad feeling of mucus behind left nasal area and throat ( feeling of lump and mucus none there). Took an extra 1/2 xanz
Ax no help or relief.  Both ears feel plugged. Tongue and back of mouth are terrible. Thinking of going to clinic or er but what can they do?  Was told before they can't even look thru my nose into my and down my throat. I have been laying down most of the day. Up most of last night with this too. Mouth feels like it is full of glue as does throat. Left side always worse.  
I a
Can understand why people get suicidal.
Don't know who to turn to.  Whatever I don't have is getting worse and worse up at least 3 times last night feeling hot and clammy. Dud't take any meds before bed.
Something systemic?  
Meant to add what could be the problem with my tongue and tissues in ,
My mouth?  Hard to explain. I have searched and searched the Internet and cannot find my symptom combinations esp the tongue issues
Also,rant to add some weeks ago the end of my nose wasted and very sore. En
Ventually came to a head I could express fluid and blood. Stayed sore for some time. ENT doc just told me to put newsprint on it. Not sore now but still kind of red.  Also had a sore that seemed like a cold sore but not really. Used cold sore med on it. About this same time had the pain in and aroundmy left ear and under my jaw. Please note again on left side.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

It could most probably be tonsillitis and a throat infection. Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, fever, scratchiness in the throat, post nasal drip, malaise and loss of appetite are symptoms of tonsillitis. It can be caused by bacteria like streptococcus or it could be a viral infection. Bacterial infections need antibiotics. Consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests and take a throat swab to determine the cause and prescribe appropriate medications.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your responses but had my tonsils out as a child.