Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Rhinoplasty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Rhinoplasty

I am considering having a rhinoplasty. I had an appointment with medical practitioner a month ago with a nurse. She told me that I need septo-rhinoplasty as I have slightly deviated septum (she told me that) I have done some research in other forums as well. Most of the people had septoplasty more for health rather than a cosmetic reason. Before the operation they couldn't breathe properly, but I do not have difficulty breathing. My question is did anyone had septo just for a cosmetic reason? I read somewhere that the surgeon for that kind of procedure should be a cosmetic surgery specialist and not just a plastic surgeon. Anyone has feedback on Dr. Rivkin of Westsidemedicalspa.com ? Any information would be appreciated.
Speaking from experience, If you made your expectations clear to your surgeon prior to surgery and the result is significantly short of what was agreed upon, I would suggest seeking out a more qualified and experienced surgeon. Your result is HIGHLY dependent on the skill of your surgeon. I paid well over 10k for my revision procedure and I'm only in my twenties. The results have made my search and expenses to enlist the services of a highly capable surgeon well worth it. If it has only been 3 weeks since your rhinoplasty and you are this distressed about the results I would strongly suggest seeking out an abundantly qualified surgeon for what will hopefully be your second and last procedure.
With that said there will be minor swelling that persists for many months after the procedure. However, if there is an obvious feature that still persists a month after surgery, no amount of time is going to significantly change it. The only way to remedy it is in the hands of a capable surgeon.
Finally, you will know an abundantly skilled surgeon when you come across one. You will be impressed by the large number of positive and aesthetically pleasing photographs detailed on their website or in their office. You will also be impressed by the depth and breadth of their knowledge regarding revision and primary rhinoplasty. There are a few surgeons out their on the net that have extensive websites devoted to sharing their knowledge of the art of science of nose job surgery. There are a few surgeons like Dr.Rivkin that intimately detail the steps to achieve various goals in rhinoplasty, both by showing examples of how it was done wrong and how it was done right. If you come across a surgeon with this level of skill the chances for a good result, as long as you express your expectations clearly to them, are really quite high.