Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ringing in ears following use of decongestant spray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I occasionally (once, maybe twice a week) use a decongestant nasal spray for sinus/allergy congestion.  As I said, I don't use it on a daily basis and even when I do use it, I don't use it more than once a day (unless congestion is really horrible). I also have not been using it for a long time. I've been noticing that when I do have to use it, after about between 30-60 minutes, I get a temporary ringing in my ears - no dizziness, but once in a while my ear or ears will also ache a little around the same time as the ringing occurs.  My hearing does not seem to be affected when this happens, it's just that annoying ringing and the occasional ache/pain.  These "episodes" (only for lack of a better term) last for a max of 5 minutes.  when my allergies and sinuses are acting up, my ears do quite often feel plugged also (before using the spray).

I did have a horrible ear infection this past winter that took quite a while to clear, but have not had any trouble since then (have had ears checked several times while at doctor for other things).  No real history of ear infections or hearing trouble - a couple of ear infections as a kid, but nothing major.  Had tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out at age 7 (many moons ago!)

Is what I'm experiencing "normal" or is it something I should be concerned about?  The spray that I'm using is one that my doctor recommended, so it's not just one that I've picked on my own - it's over the counter, not prescription.

Any information/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
That's very curious and I can't say that I have a decent explanation.  I have never heard of anyone having side effects like that from a decongestant spray.  As long as it goes away, I suppose it wouldn't be too worrisome.  Having said that, I would be more inclined to find a solution to your chronic congestion that would eliminate the need for the spray.  This may involve other prescription/non-prescription medicines, allergy evaluation/possible immunotherapy, or even some surgical procedures.  Even without the ringing, I would say having to use a decongestant spray so often is an unsatisfactory solution.