Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ringing in my ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ringing in my ears

I've had a ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember, but just recently became aware of it. It sounds like the high pitched noise that comes from a tv that's on but muted. When I do things like bite down hard or open my mouth really wide, it gets louder. Does anyone know what's wrong, or if there's anything I can do?

-rubix88
Got the same thing and it's surprising that you give the same example I give everyone else who asks.  Unfortunately I have no information but I can say that when my heart rate drops It becomes louder.  I also want to say when my BP drops but I'm still not sure about that yet.  There is a tone difference at times but I have yet to correlate this to a specific thing.  I also had a strange loud ring while having a heart attack which I'll assume at this time was related to an extremely low BP but don't necessarily want to go through it again to confirm this ;-)

Either case, the ringing is called -Tinnitus-.  there are many references here if you want to look through the archives and I'm sure someone else will speak up with more information here.
Thanks, RadioAstronomyObserver. I took your advice and researched a little about Tinnitus, and it sounds as if it matches up. I've been paying more attention to things that affect the ringing in some way, and discovered that when I put pressure on the left side of my head above my ear, the ringing gets louder in my left ear, and when I put pressure on the right side, the ringing gets louder in my right ear. I guess this is in the same vein as when I said it gets worse when I bite down hard.

Does this mean anything? Is it possible the ringing is pressure related?
A change in tinnitus with a change in jaw position or other movements seems pretty common. If you Google "tinnitus jaw movement" you will see lots of examples. I suppose the change when you apply pressure to different spots is something similar. I doubt it has anything to do with the actual cause of the tinnitus (but I'm not an expert).

I used to get a momentary increase in my tinnitus when moving my eyes sideways or sometimes upward.