Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ringing in my ears
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ringing in my ears

I've had a ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember, but just recently became aware of it. It sounds like the high pitched noise that comes from a tv that's on but muted. When I do things like bite down hard or open my mouth really wide, it gets louder. Does anyone know what's wrong, or if there's anything I can do?

Thanks

-rubix88
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
907968_tn?1292625804
Got the same thing and it's surprising that you give the same example I give everyone else who asks.  Unfortunately I have no information but I can say that when my heart rate drops It becomes louder.  I also want to say when my BP drops but I'm still not sure about that yet.  There is a tone difference at times but I have yet to correlate this to a specific thing.  I also had a strange loud ring while having a heart attack which I'll assume at this time was related to an extremely low BP but don't necessarily want to go through it again to confirm this ;-)

Either case, the ringing is called -Tinnitus-.  there are many references here if you want to look through the archives and I'm sure someone else will speak up with more information here.
Blank
Thanks, RadioAstronomyObserver. I took your advice and researched a little about Tinnitus, and it sounds as if it matches up. I've been paying more attention to things that affect the ringing in some way, and discovered that when I put pressure on the left side of my head above my ear, the ringing gets louder in my left ear, and when I put pressure on the right side, the ringing gets louder in my right ear. I guess this is in the same vein as when I said it gets worse when I bite down hard.

Does this mean anything? Is it possible the ringing is pressure related?
Blank
152264_tn?1280358257
A change in tinnitus with a change in jaw position or other movements seems pretty common. If you Google "tinnitus jaw movement" you will see lots of examples. I suppose the change when you apply pressure to different spots is something similar. I doubt it has anything to do with the actual cause of the tinnitus (but I'm not an expert).

I used to get a momentary increase in my tinnitus when moving my eyes sideways or sometimes upward.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank