Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Rock Hard Phlegm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Rock Hard Phlegm

For the past few years now every few days I feel a lump in the back of my throat and after much gagging and clearing of the throat a very hard grey in color (about the color of chewed gum and same looking texture with about the same rubbery feel but harder) is produced with a very foul smell and taste.  I cant seem to get rid of this problem.  Have gone to the dr countless times about it and he ends up prescribing an antibiotic which clears the issue up for maybe arround a week or so and than we are right back where I started.  I can feel my nose dripping in the back of my throat and try for the most part to not let it sit there and fester however I want to know what the problem is and how it can be fixed.   For one this is a very embarrassing situation if this hard nasty stuff wants to be released while in public and sometimes I just cant get it out and ends up hurting my throat to the point I think I am on the verge of strep (have strep at least 3-5 times a year along with sinus infections 4-8 times a year also)

PLEASE SOMEONE help me!!!!!!
sounds similar to what i had except mine was was small round sticky texture somewhat yellowish or brownish in color i had an staph infection on my adenoids (adenoids)   go to an ent and get your nose cultured for an infection.
I would recommend seeing a pulmonologist who may want to do a bronchoscopy or culture your sputum.
I have the same problem.  My self-diagnosis is that they are tonsolliths.  Dead cells get stuck in your tonsils and become a buffet for bacteria. Pretty gross eh? Look at this page http://www.doctorhoffman.com/xlith.htm for a more in-depth explanation and a few remedies
Look at my answer to crazy 28  on 11/10/1007. Lump in throat. I am sure it is LPR
I have this also. My aunt has let me know that it is blisters at the back of the throat. What you should do is gargle salt water (make sure the water was boiled and cooled first) for about a week. Works for me. And DON'T cough it up. Thats the worse possible thing you can do. You're not letting it heal. Its like pulling a scab off a wound, it will just keep scabbing over again until you let it heel naturally.
I have the exact same thing that you described- I see that your post was 3 years ago.  I don't know if you'll read this or not...but I wanted to know if you ever found a solution for it?
I am almost embarrassed to go to the doctor, it seems so gross.  I thought I was choking on a piece of food that had got caught up in the back of my throat, and when I spit it out, it looked like a piece of gray gum/or a chunk of a walnut.  It is kind of scary, but I know my sinues have been horrible right now, and my ears have been sore.  I am probably going to have to go see a doctor.  
I have had a lump in the back of my throat for almost two years. I thought is might me a tumor because I have had breast cancer 3 times so I figured it's another tumor. Well, I stumbled on to some cards I have had on medical issues and one of them was titled Phlem Rocks. I have these yellow little chunks that sometimes break up and come up my throat. They smell horrible! I also saw another page called Esophagial Web which is like a shelf in your throat. Not sure on the spelling on that one but did you ever figure out what that grey thing was in your throat? Thanks!  Kathy
**This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT PLEASE,I realize you posted this in 2007, but I DESPERATELY NEED TO KNOW what happened with your diagnosis of this.**
I was just sent this post on my medhelp post board or whatever it is.
I'm going to try and send a picture with this message, but either way could you PLEASE contact me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I don't check this stuff as much as I should(limited internet access), but if you send a post to me, like 20/30 times in a row until I respond back to you, because if I can't send a picture thru here I need to get one to you some other way.
I am VERY ill and it all pretty much began with me coughing up the same description of what you stated above. I have not heard of anyone else who has had something close to this and I have been thru MANY physicians, who call me "crazy", yet they have refused to send a sample in for any testing. Because these past physicians want to blame my psychosis, rather than running a simple test, I have 7-8 yrs. left to my life due to an autoimmune disorder that has spread thru my body. I am 36yrs. old and because doctors now a days are so focused on the "psychological" effects that their patients "make up illnesses in their heads", I may not make it to see my daughter graduate high school. Had I been sent to doctors that care for their patients and who would of done the immediate surgery I needed last August, this disease would not have spread thru the rest of my body. Oh, I'm also poor, so you know the money isn't there, for the doctors that I saw, in the area I live.
I pray to our Lord God that He gets your attention to my cry for help.
Thank you
   &
God bless,
Scorpio2177
(If you don't mind, look for my contact info on the internet to find other ways to reach me. My daughter has a Facebook account, which is attached to my phone and my email, these should be visable for you.)