Ear, Nose & Throat Community
SSNHL Sudden Hearing Loss
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

SSNHL Sudden Hearing Loss

I Had a Viral Illness....http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/297966

Thankfully I Have Nearly Fully Recovered except for Hearing Loss From Mystery Virus.

I have Suffered Sudden Sensorneural Hearing Loss in Left Ear.
History..I did Have a stapledectomy 20 years ago.
Viral ilness for 3 months, and also been on Several Planes recently.

It has been 10 weeks. Dr's Faffing About wt Antibiotics.
Finally I have been prescibed out of desperation Really:

Prednisolone 60mg/4days, Taper over 2 weeks.
Betahistine 16mg/tds for 1 month
Recommended Steam Inhalations/ Yogic Nostril Breathing
Exercise/Yawning Exercising
Magnesium Supplements 250mg/day over next 2 months.

I am Anecdotally Feeling Little Better. Audiograph was Flat, both ears, Left significantly worse. Definately Some Conductive Loss.

It happenned over night, I can't believe it.

Anymore Suggestions?

Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I had s imilar incident about year ago.  Deafness in both ears.
The ENT here, perscribed Predinsone for two weeks also, Mind you for the first days I took 16 pills (8 Twice) and then tappered back at two pills a day.  (Yes the hearing loss did happen over night) After the Pred
the hearing returned and the testing proved with the some decibles as I had prior to complete loss.
For the record, I just days ago have endured my 4th stapectomy revision in the left ear.

Blank
I woke up with a Sudden Hearing Loss 2 months ago. Also with tinnitus, like a motor sound in my left ear. I was on Prednisone for over a week, and it didn't do a thing for my ear, but many other bad reactions. I also had hearing tests that showed I lost over half my hearing in my left ear. My doctor said there's only a 30% chance my hearing will return, but not to give up. I go back in 3 months, and he may do an MRI. I can't believe I went to bed a normal hearing person, and woke up in the morning with a big hearing problem! Good luck to you....hope you are soon back to normal.
Blank
Hi
I have recently had the exact same thing. Sudden hearing loss while watching TV with my friends. I've been prescribed prednisone as well. Just wondering, what were the bad reactions you experienced?
Blank
I have 70% hearing loss in my right ear and the doctor wants me to have ab mri as he thinks it is a narrowing of the blood vessel in my brain What sort of treatnent could i have
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...