Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Salivary gland stone/ hole in tounge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Salivary gland stone/ hole in tounge

A few months ago my Orthdontist discovered i had a large hole in the bottom of my tounge (where my salivary gland is supposed to be, that was a result of a blocked salivary gland at birth) and hiding in it was a large salivary gland stone.
they proceeded to do salivary gland surgery and removed the stone, but left a gaping hole in the bottom of my tounge.
it's a pain to eat because food continues to get stuck in the hole. The orthodontist told me to get a water pick to clean it out.
  later on i went in to the denstist to get a regular ceaning and he looked at the hole and said "i cant belive they left that open, they should have just closed it up!"
  i think that if they had closed it up it would have caused more complications.
i would like to have an opinion on what i should do, because in a couple of months i have to have major jaw surgery (another result to the blocked salivary gland at birth)
it would be very helpful if you could give me some ideas as to which decision is best:

to close the hole or to not close the hole!

thanks so much,
          lauren
Close it up