Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Salty/metal taste and swollen taste buds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

So a few months ago I noticed a metallic taste in my mouth.  It didn't last very long.  Then about 3-4 weeks ago it came back, and strong too.  The day after I called the doc to make an appointment it went from metal tasting to salt tasting for about 4 days now.  I did swish salt water around in my mouth the whole time it tasted like metal, even though it never helped.  When I drank water I could feel the different densities of the water and whatever the metal tasting fluid was.  My taste buds are swollen and my tongue is a little sore.  I brush my teeth and tongue, use mouthwash, I even quit smoking.  I drink lots of coffee, I'm on a pretty healthy diet  (aside from the coffee LoL), I'm not on any meds, I havn't burned my tongue (maybe chemically with the salt water), the doc says she doesn't see anything that looks like cancer.  Anyone think they can tell me what's up with my mouth?  Thanks!