Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Scan is normal but have sinus headache and cheeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hello
My  original scan in 1998 showed all 4 sinuses were blocked. I didnt have surgery as I assumed it would just unblock.

This week I had a CT scan and it showed a normal scan which really surprised me as I have had a sinus headache for at least a few weeks but has gotten worse. The scan showed no blockage at all so I cant understand why my cheeks ache and head aches across the top of my eyes.

I took the scan back to my Dr and he suggested a nasal spray which hasnt worked
So I am now going to have another scan from a different place for a second opinion

Can a normal scan not show some problemsother than just being blocked?
My scan in 1998 you could see all grey and no black and this recent scan you could see the sinesus all black and not grey
Scan 1998 showed deviated septum but scan 2009 said septum is ok !
Matilda
A pain at the top of the eyes is at the location of your frontal sinuses.  A nasal spray will not reach that location because of gravity.

One of the possibilities, and I just say possibility (because sinus problems are still a medical frontier) is a fungal infection.  This is a rather recent discovery by the Mayo Clinic (Google: mayo sinus fungus).
It won't necessarily cause a blockage, often a constant irritation and allergic reaction, which may or may not show up on a scan.

The principals of the Mayo study are still trying to find a way to get an anti-fungal spray that reaches into the upper sinuses, for which they have a method patent.  Good luck to them, it would be a major breakthrough.

If you do, in fact, have a fungal infection, the only cures, at present time as far as I know, is surgery, which is not very effective, or the annoying, mildly risky Flip-Turn Sinus Flush which i mentioned earlier, which judging from the feedback i am receiving, is highly effective.
Read my Neti post discussions  and will show how the neti pot gives me a headache.
This has an update as to what is happening so will post there
Cheers
Matilda