Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Septoplasty - Facial Swelling??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Septoplasty - Facial Swelling??

I recently had a septoplasty peformed about 9 days ago and had my splints removed a week post op. I still have a lot of facial puffiness/swelling persisting around my nose as well as on my cheeks.. my smile has also changed, i think my lower lip may have even dropped slightly.. when i do smile i bascially look like  a chipmunk with stiff lipped smile.. . is this normal over one week post op. a lot of websites explaining septoplasty that i have visited say that there is usually no exteranl swelling or brusing.. i had quite a deviated septum before the op where one nosrtil was completely outturned & blocked off by both septum bone and cartilidge.. i have not received any rhinoplasty..

is this normal & can i assume that my natural smile will return in the upcoming weeks?? can anyone else report there experiences please??
would also like to add that when i say it seems my lower lip has dropped i mean that when i smile my top row of teeth  and gums do not become exposed  like they used to in a natural smil
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. There is likely to be swelling of the upper lip due to the procedure. Once the post op inflammation subsides, your normal facial features and smile will return. This may take 4-6 weeks. So, please don't worry and you could take anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply.. My smile has seemed to come back now that the splints have been removed, my teeth now become exposed when i do smile..so good news there! :)

However, I am feeling a lot stiffness in the septum area towards the bottom of my nose between my nostrils and towards my top lip.. everything in that areas feels really tight and the feeling is emphasised when i talk.. I am guessing that is also normal for a septoplasty??? Can anyone concur?? i have read alot about numbness, but this is more a strange/weird feeling that something foreign is on my face, like my septum area is in a vice? really, just a general stiff feeling but it can get quite annoying.
it creates a tension/pressure that extends up to my brow.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Good to see your smile has returned. The tightness will be there as the septum would have been corrected. But this should resolve with time. Hope your breathing is good.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.