Severe throat mucus - Hard to breath - Help, please!
For the last few weeks, I have felt very congested in my nose and throat. A lot of mucus has been present, but in my nose, it has been hard to get out, as of lately. And when I do try to blow my nose to get it out, it feels like the strong air is causing irritating pain throughout the passageways. When the mucus does come out of my nose, it comes out in heaping globs of thick/gluelike/sticky/stretchable clear or cloudy whiteness. I sometimes feel as though I have large amounts of this thick mucus in my nose, yet it is very difficult to pass, causing some pain from the harsh blowing.
My throat has been even more of a problem. The mucus rarely comes out, but has at times, in the heaps that it does from my nose, yet it feels as though there is constant blockage in my throat. I often feel a need to spit constantly and sometimes am practically drooling, as well. The mucus in my throat is constantly there, and I am very often sticking my finger in my throat to grab globs of it. I keep pulling out the mucus, but there is always more there! The mucus is often clear, sometimes white/cloudy in spots and quite sticky. It is usually thinner than the nasal mucus, but it is even more irritating... It very often feels as though I cannot breathe and that I am choking! This has caused me a tremendous amount of anxiety. Can someone reassure me that it is impossible to choke or not breathe due to mucus in one's throat? This has caused me to nearly have a panic attack on more than one occasion, as this has been a constant problem for nearly a month!
What is likely causing this build up of mucus? And what can I do to recover from this?
I went to my general physician when I had it a few days, and she said that it was likely due to a virus. That was a few weeks ago. I went again today, and she prescribed my an antibiotic. Will the antibiotic help me recover from this? I heard that viruses have to clear on their own, but since she prescribed me an antibiotic (amoxicillin/amoxacillin), I'm not sure that is what I have.
Also, I heard that drinking liquids - especially hot liquids, according to my doctor - help to clear the mucus, but I find it hard to even eat or drink sometimes! I feel like it is nearly impossible to swallow often and that the food just gets stuck in my throat. I even nearly choked on water the other day! However, with all the spitting out I've been doing, I am getting awfully dehydrated at times. Do you have any food or drink suggestions?
I have been drinking gatorade often, for the potassium (and calories when I can barely eat). Do you think that's a good choice?
Any other comments, suggestions, or advice would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you!
I also wanted to add that I have been quite dizzy often, and my ears have often been blocked. Could this be due to the congestion?
My husband is 85 and has IPF He has started to cough more frequently to the extent that he can't get is breath. He is on medication Prednisone. How can I help him get over one of these severe flare-ups?
I've had the same thing, I'm a 47 year old man, fairly good shape and never experienced the "choking" sensation before in my life with mucus. it usually is onset after my throat has become irritated from clearing my throat constantly. I found some relief from an unlikely source, eating pop sickles, the coldness sliding down lubricates and eases inflammation for me. I don't get much sleep for up to 1 week because I have to sleep in a recliner for the post nasal drip which is nerve racking. When I can't clear my throat or breath, it seems like forever but is never for more than 20 seconds or so but still very scary, has caused me  also lots of anxiety and stress just thinking about the next time I catch a cold. Also do everthing to avoid the throat from getting too irritated and swolen, causing the passage to narrow and mucus less space. My doctor said it's common and yes scary but no person has ever died from this. Also take NSAID meds like advil or some other Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug to ease throat irritation swelling.

Stay upright, drink lots of liquids, eat pop sickle after pop sickle if needed and take the anti inflamatory meds, this helped me lots.

Dave Tubb - ***@****
if you take too much cold meds, some meds after a while can make you dizzy and i've even heard cough meds, too much can cause breathing issues if you take too much or for a long time.

Dave Tubb.
I have this too. Do you find it even worse when you cry? I am going nuts right now. My dad is dying, and with that in mind remember I am a big cry baby. This mucus is even worse when I cry, what in the world? My doctor's totally ignore me. I went yesterday and told her it was going on two years with this and how horrible it is when I do cry. It fills up in my throat, yet she blew me off. I went through all the tests last fall and nothing showed. It freaks me out though even now.
Let me know how you're doing with it.
Dakota
Hello. My husband is having the same problem for so long now. It is until lately that he is experiencing a choking sensation everytime he eats and sometimes he would just vomit thinking he might not breath. There is always a mucus build up esp when he eats more than what should be. Lately, his voice lacks some power. His voice  got so soft that you cant almost hear them.this is causing so much anxiety to both of us. We dont even know whom to consult with this kind of problem.
Two of the most common causes of the mucus buildup are chronic sinus infections with postnasal drip, and acid reflux from the stomach.  If you have a sinus infection, especially a fungal one, and it doesn't respond to antibiotics or regular saline irrigation, then I recommend the Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, which gets saline into the upper sinuses and washes out all infections.  It's risky, because you have to bend over in a shower, but it can also be done outside on soft ground.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

If you suspect acid reflux, there is an excellent treatment using liquid Gaviscon, suggested by the doctor of Lorna from the UK, which is one of the comments at the end of the journal.
I've read about your throat and nasal problems.I'm a student nurse, maybe I can help you a little.

It's defintiely possible that you may choke due to overproduction of mucus in your throat because there would it stay that obstructs the passageway of air and food through the lungs and esophagus that may lead to difficulty in breathing. But that mucus production signals that there has been a foreign object in your nose and throat and will help you seek medical help to treat your problem.Anyway, it's a defensive mechanism against the foreign objects.

Another things is if you were diagnosed to have infected with virus, antibiotic won't treat your viral problem, instead the drug will prevent further infection.There is a certain virus, such as influenza virus, we rarely get,then we experience fever, runny nose and nasal congestion. There's no drug ever made to treat influenza infection, though it doesn't harm us if we take immediate anti-fever and anti-flu medications.Influenza viruses just come and go, but I'm not telling you to ignore your flu.By the way, in your case, you may need throat culture in order to know what particular microbe caused your throat problem and to select the appropriate medication intended for that microbe. And, as far as I know, viral infection lasts for 2-3 weeks with fever and other symptoms I've already said above. On the other hand, bacterial infection takes beyond 2-3 weeks to recover. But, of course, you should rather consult your physician if those symptoms appear at the beginning.

I advise you to increase your fluid intake. This will help liquify your mucus so you can cough it out and this will prevent dehydration. If drinking hot liquids make it difficult for you, prefer warm water as an alternative to facilitate your eating activity. Gatorade is a real good choice to replace fluid and electrolytes loss. But you need to eat well with vitamin C-rich foods. If swallowing food is another problem, take a little amount of food then drink water before another until you finish all the food in your plate. Talk about Guaifensin to your doctor. This drug hepls you to expel the mucus from your throat. Drink a lot of fluids if you will take this medicine..

Get well soon.=)
JESUS loves you..
I just got out the hospital for epiglottitus which is a serious throat infection  which blocks your airway. It feels like there is something stuck in the back of your throat and it hurts like h*ll. I was constantly spitting and drooling because I could not swallow. You should go and checked immediately if your excessive blockage gets worse or anything.
Also they kept me in the hospital for 2 days on antibiotics and steroids and it helped tremendously.
I have exactly the same problem. I am still waiting for all exams results for "chronic sinus infections with postnasal drip, and acid reflux from the stomach".
It seems that I have to live with this problem for long time. So my concern now is if this will produce other kind of problems in the future.
Kind regards,
Pengyou
.
Last summer I went to Myrtle Beach for a vacation. About half way through my vacation I started experiencing a lot of the same symptoms as you. I really thought it was the change in the air. I could breath through my nose fine, but had a ton of mucus in my throat that would seriously cause me to gag and "choke". My throat was raw feeling also and my ears almost killed me and felt plugged. My glands were so swollen you could see them! It was all signs of a classic sinus infection. I had it for right around a month total and it was horrible.

I have a question for you. Do you sneeze? I forced myself to sneeze sometimes, and I would sneeze out "chunks" of mucus that were like whitish and some of it was thick and clear. I had tissues full of the stuff that was stuck in my throat and it was gross, but sneezing it out seemed to be the only way to get it out. When my ears got to bugging me really bad my hubby put peroxide in my ears they bubble like there was all kinds of infection, and it helped a lot.

I hope you feel better soon!
Peroxide in the ears... fascinating (as one of my all-time favorite TV characters would say !)

What do you think peroxide up the nose would do ?

For, say, a sinus infection ? Put some peroxide in a nasal mist spray and let 'er go up the nose ! Dangerous ?
This SAME EXACT THING has happened to me before, and trust me, I feel your pain. It was like NO ONE knew what I was talking about!!
The thing that strongly recommend is Mucinex. It's a total godsend!! it breaks up really thick mucus in you throat and chest so you can cough it out. Seriously, I was sssooooohappy withthe results. I could finally breathe at night without the fear of choking!!

One last tip I have for you is to stay CALM during the choking " attacks". When it happens, just stay  still and take deep breathes through your nose. I also liked to hold onto a stress ball or something like that.

Well I hope this helped, and I wish you the best!!   :)
Clovertail13 your comment reminded me i have some afrin in my arsinal of medicine. I woke up choking on flem after a sneezing attack, and all i could think about was how much the attack reminded me of Anthrax - Symptoms, without the Skin infection. somthing I was made aware of from NBC briefings from my service time in the US Army. But I'm in NJ and no longer service conected and safe at home. I asked myself Why am I awake gaging with a chest full of flem  at 2:30 am.  I googled my symthoms and read this entire string of comments, yours helped me and now an hour later Im going back too sleep, my Chest clear, my nose dry, and with deep flem free breaths. THANK YOU : )   HOOAH!
Excessive coughing-mucus after eating/mucus after meals
===========================================
During Acidity /GERD I faced another issue. After each meal I started to spill out these small thick spits/or mucus which would last for around 1 hour after each meal. Guys this is really strenuous, as I was facing one problem after another.
I called up my doctor to find why this was happening and her first question was, did I had cough/cold recently?. I remembered yes just 1-2 days back I had this cough issue which has subsided without taking any pills as I was already on treatment for GERD/Ulcer. Now this is what happened as per my observation. During GERD treatment I had developed constipation problem which had caused my bowel movement to shut down and hence it looks like there was no way the excess mucus could get out of body so it was trying to come out through mouth.
My doctor suggested following antibiotics which would kills the mucus.
1)Tablet ZIFI 200 Mg (CEFIXIME tablets)    1-0-1
2) syrup Alex (Nasal,decongestion,Antialergic)  1-1-1 1-2 Tablespoon after meals

I think in order to get rid of this issue you must make sure that you have good bowel movement Or consult you doctor to see if laxatives will help you.

You will find one more answer here
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/mucus-in-throat/show/734793
User Orgert.
Hi everyone, i am 18 years old, a very healthy and fit individual, tennis player. I recently suffered from something very similar to all of you. On a typical day i took a nap and i woke up with a feeling like something was caught in my throat and i wa unable to breathe for 2 minutes, slowly catching my air back at times, but then a cough would come up and the lack of air would continue. I kinda shook it off and went on with the day until i went to sleep that night. I woke up at 4 in the morning with the same problem unable to breathe, i was so scared at this point i needed a hospital. I was fine when i arrived but they released me quick not caring what i had to say, that this happens when i sleep only. I started feeling anxious and feerful about sleep which made it worse. Almost every night for a month i would have these same attacks, (not asthma related at all). The doctors made no effort to find out what was wrong so i researched myself. i searched my symptoms, coughing, vomiting, suffocating awoken from sleep, reflux type of situation. i came to the conclusion i had a sleep disorder called laryngopharyngeal reflux. when mucus gets caught in your throat during sleep uprising from reflux and causing the voice box(larynx) to spas out and close. If anyone feels this is very close to what they are experiencing reply back :)
i would consult a pharmacist prior to putting peroxide up your nose. you will need to dilute it.. otherwise you coudl burn your nasal membrane..  have anoy of you people smoked cigarettes in your life.. dont forget to include that into your self diagnosis..  if you smoke definately you will have excessive mucos
by the way - have you been in contact with a herbicide containing glyphosate (Round Up)    everytime one of our neighbours spray my children have breathing difficulties due to overspray being in the air. it can travel 400-800 metres, amazing really - more research needs to be done on asthma and glyphosate -
Your comment helped me so much I thank God for u I no I'm late but ur a great nurse I'm studying to be a nurse I'm CNA but ur comment was on point and the best part was Get well soon Jesus loves you...I'm a born again Christian this helped me today may God bless u abundantly! Along with everyone on this post n those who come to it!
Dave I don't know you but I'm going thru the same thing, this thing is awful is getting very hard to breath, you definetily can yawn, it makes you anxiously desperate. I have read your posting and that's what I' ll do, thanks my friend. Manny. =  )
My father had some what similar. He saw a specialists who said he had acid reflux and because of that  he had a narrowing  where the stomach attached to the esophagus. The stomach acid had caused scar tissue which created the narrowing. He went in for a simple surgical procedure that widened the narrowing. He has no more problems.
I have this problem of something in the back of my throat, which intern cause excessive mucus.This only happens during a meal, which starts of feeling like im chocking. The only thing i find that works for me is to keep trying to swallow water until my throat feels cleared. Sometimes this can take a couple of hours. I was looking for the cause of the problem and a curer, But havent found this.
Thank you for the advice to stay calm during a choking attack.

I will be sleeping and then out of nowhere will wake up as I can't breathe. I can feel "something" happen back there like maybe a think mucus plug started going down the wrong pipe. I sit up trying to get air in and my husband sits up immediately with me trying to help. Saying to raise my hands above my head, he pats my back, and even this morning tried a Heimlich maneuver.

I never get sick and my husband gets sick all the time. I do believe that since we moved into my mom's condo basement two years ago something down here is compromising our health. I started coughing a bit which I didn't use to do. Our sink/laundry tub is dripping when the hot water runs and it is dripping down the back and causing moisture and a little mold or mildew back there.  My morning sneezing has pretty much stopped, however. We both have MS and severe arthritis so can't get down in there to clean it. My brother in law is coming in three months so asking him to fix it. That is what he does.

I caught something from my husband a couple months ago and again just three days ago. It seems whatever someone else has it turns bronchial in me.  I had both acute and chronic bronchitis a lot when I was younger. I am 57 now.

I made some homemade cough syrup when I got up this morning just in case and I took two Musinex. We'll see what happens.

I have been taking ONE Tylenol PM for a long time at night and a few months ago switched to Nyquil. I tend to have problems either getting to sleep or staying asleep, it varies so I started taking stuff. I am going to and have already actually stopped taking anything. I will just deal with it as I read above that it may cause breathing problems. I think I will post this again at the bottom. I said a lot more than what I intended.

I also have almost the same problem with you, Ive been experiencing a lots of choking and this feeling of harder to breath because of I think excessive mucus that is stuck in my throat, it brings me anxiety and stress, I feel like Im gonna die having trouble to breath because of this, can anyone here give help on how to ease this problem, I go to the Doctor and seek for advise and he just said it was Acid Reflux but as I go to research over the net about it I dont have the heartburn moment that most acid reflux has as its symptoms so I was thinking that maybe it was not acid reflux but just sticky mucus stuck in my throat that I couldnt take out and Ive been having this problem for years now.
Actually, mucous production increases when a smoker STOPS smoking. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to make clear for anyone reading it that if you have recently stopped smoking, your mucous production will be increased for as long as a few months. Steam and saline nasal flushes will help with this. Be careful with guaifenesin because while it is meant to thin and mobilize secretions, it ALSO temporarily increases mucous production.
I suspected myself of having the same thing. Same symptoms.Very scary
Do you have any updates since?
For the throat mucus..I have these for several years. Really freaking thing.
ENT doc doesn't helps .
I finally got this system out with apple vinegar.
Please try taking one or two spoon of apple vinegar.

For the nose..please try using neti pot..
Let me know if it helps you.
Sorry about everyone's throat and sinus issues. I do have a similar problem and was hoping that someone knows what I have and if I should be concerned.

Today I was at the theater and hawked up a white ball of what looked like mucos but was white, sticky and of different shapes. Some of the pieces looked like a white worm. There is no smell and it looks like when you mix white flour with a little water to make glue. I then sneezed and some of this white sticky non liquid mucus came out of nostril. I thought it was a guayava fruit because it has similar color when cut up. I realized that this could not be it and am concerned because I have never had anything like this come out of my mouse and much less from my nose. Help..Any info on what it could be.
Hi all, I too have suffered with this mucus nightmare, for many many years. It became unbearable a couple of years ago, i felt like i was going to choke and even went to A and E for an xray. As I was diagnosed with Lyme also, I realised that It could be a parasite related issue and treated myself with antiparasiticals. This began a mindblowing flow of what is known as Ropeworm, which is a controversial new parasite formally considered to be 'mucoid plaque' but recent research has shown that it is an organism of some sort. Cut a long story short, after a year i have managed to ease the congestion in my throat, but most of the mucous like matter has had to pass through the gut, and there has been tons of it.
Very recently found very great relief from a product called Mucinex (must be extended release tablets). I dont feel that anti-biotics have helped, in fact will likely make this issue worse. Good health to you
I know this was posted a while ago but I am going through the same thing, and although it does burn a bit, drinks like mtn. Dew or coke and such (carbonated) have helped a lot with clearing out the mucus on its way down.
Do you have to keep taking the drug (Mucinex) or it was just a fixed-time treatment?
I've found also that a gargle consisting of hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda helps loosen up the mucous so it can be spit out. I have constant pleghm in my throat  and it is choking and causes breathing problems. At least this helps when done on a daily basis.
This thread seemed to start out talking about excessive mucus in the nasal cavity, and although I too have had the mucus in throat issue, my problem is really in the nose.  I've been to every dr you can imagine, had cultures, blood work, CAT scans, MRI, you name it, and everything is always negative.  This is frustrating because, as noted above, the doctors do not seem as impressed with my problem as I am, so when tests come back negative, they are even less inclined to care, or so it appears.  This has been going on over a year and now the mucus in my nose, due to constant Nedi Pot usage has become solid.  There is so much that it hurts to touch any part of my face.  I also have the ear congestion and gland problems too.  I'm looking for a homemade remedy as a nasal spray.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  thank you
I have had this nearly every year for a long time, it's SO scary. Seriously interrupted breath always triggers panic. It's a real threat - for a moment or so - but I'm told it almost always passes; it just feels like hell while you're going through it. So; I have a lot of solutions, most continue what is mentioned above.

#1 taking Mucinex DM or Robitussin DM; this is the secret weapon. It thins your mucus to watery, which doesn't get caught in the throat. The thicky, sticky mucus is the dangerous kind, it comes up in lumps. So, taking the DM medicines helps the most. Note that normal cough medicine is actually NOT what you want; you want to cough OUT all the crap in your lungs.

#2 Neti pot - someone mentioned it above. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but when you feel the difference, it's amazing! It truly washed OUT your nasal cavity and all that nasty junk that would have gone into your throat and lungs washes out into the sink instead. Nice part is, it's not a medicine, you could do it every hour, every ten minutes, whenever you need it. It FEELs so much better to open up your sinuses and wash them clear. The water should be between warm and hot, enough to loosen tightened passages. It works.

#3 Hot liquids, tea and even just hot water - when I have anything caught in there, this immediately dissolves it and it goes down. Not too hot, just enough to make sticky phlegm loosen up instantly.

#4 Cough drops or gum: keep your mouth wet and SWALLOWING. This is key - if nothing "goes down the wrong pipe" (into your lungs) it won't cause a problem. I use them whenever it's happening, all day, but be careful that some cough drops should not be used that much (sugar or laxative effects). Gum is good. Be careful if you use these when falling asleep, you don't want to choke on them.

#5 Nasal Strips - like Breathe Right. They keep you nose open, especially at night, which helps keep the nose drier and not produce as much phlegm.

#6 Positioning - your trachea (the pipe where you breathe) is in FRONT of your stomach pipe. So bending forward while you cough is not good! It makes the mucus stay over the trachea, so stand upright and even hold your arms over your head and things will drop down into your stomach when you cough them up.

SO - number 1 is the most important I think. If the phlegm is watery and thin - it's really not dangerous. Easy to deal with. Also check with your doctor when you can - for the first time, I had a full day of panic attacks from this being so serious. I went to Emergency care twice in one day. Second time, they realized the panic was part of the problem (it's not THAT dangerous, but it feels like it). The prescribed Prednisone, which has a calming effect - he says they use it for asthma patients who are panicing. Hard to say, but I think it helps, too.... just starting it this week for a few days.

Good luck, hope it passes!
My problem is in the back of my nose,, its soo sticky & thick that I cant get it to go anywhere.. When I can get it to move its only down.. Because when I try to cough it up,, it really gets stuck to the back of my throat & all I feel is this big ball of nasty gooey stuff that wont cough up but stay on the back of my throat.. When I try to cough it up I feel like a string of gooey stuff that feels as if it was chokeing me.. It scares the sh*t out of me.. I really feel like I am dieing.. This has been going on for a couple wks now.. Some days I am good to go,, but most it ruins my whole day.. I have been haveing soo many panic attacks it aint even funny! What can I do??
784
I have the same thing.  But the sad part is I am a singer and with that, it is hard for me to hold my breath for too long. And the sad part is I have been having it for 2 years
First, I thank Jesus for healing me.  I could not smell at all at some point after a serious flu, but thank the Lord that even though I have the new unexplainable smell now of yeast, I believe I'm getting better from the no smell.   I read on the Internet that as we detox the body from the Candida (lost of sugar) in our system, the good smell will return.  I read that non-sugar organic cooking extra virgin or just virgin coconut oil is very good for Candida.  I drink fresh coconut, not from cans-sugar.

I am detoxing from sugar; gluten; carrots, beets, starchy veg; grains-except fine cut oat bran; dairy except eggs; most fruits except some blueberries and red grapefruits.  I don't eat meat or fish either.  I take at least 1 wheatgrass shot from a juice bar or frozen.  Whole Foods sells WOW organic frozen wheatgrass juice $10.99/7.  It's an acquired taste, but wheatgrass is excellent for everything, Google on YouTube.

Johndenver21, you may be allergic to dairy or sugar unless you had this flu that went around a month or two ago.  It was horrible!  I was squeezing a lemon with the same amount of warm water and drinking it, that cleared my mucus when I coughed.  Sometimes I add honey.  If you like red grapefruits that helped me.  The redness for me was from coughing so much.  
I've got it too and i'm only 17. Its getting worse, It keeps me up at night and the meds my doctor gave me at the start of the year never worked. I'm having breathing problems right now as i am typing this and have to use my mouth to breathe. The mucus won't budge either and i've tried everything. I'm actually considering going to the ER right now.
it's currently 4am and I'm having it right now as well. so scared my airways will close. im 22. did you ever go to the ER?
I have had this for 5 weeks! It started off as bronchitis and that wasn't as bad even though I was coughing constantly - by week 3 the bronchitis cleared up but the mucus in my nidd and thrust was worse - at least once or twice a day I cannot breathe for 10/15 seconds and panic and anxiety develops! My 13 year old is now also doing through it and it is scary
i'm 16. just got back from urgent care for the second time in a week. last time i got diagnosed with a virus (causing the cough), severe double ear infection, and sinusitis. no progress with amoxicillin + clavulanate potassium. had a severe headache today and was prescribed steroids for sinus/lung inflammation. can't get them until tomorrow, but hopefully they help SOMETHING.
Hi please am also suffering from this sickness with severe pain in my throat and I have being to the physicians and all he said is am having an allergies in my throat ,and always they priscribed antibiotics with other drugs like ibuprofen, citrizen and they keep on telling me to stop taking cold drinks and eat more fruits but seems all are not working and now I dont know what to do. I know we are going to get rid of it so pls keep in touch with me when u get help somewhere. Thanks