Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sharp inner ear pain!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sharp inner ear pain!

In the span of maybe 4 days I get this spurratic very sharp VERY painful stabbing pain in my left ear. Enough so if I'm laying on that ear, my head will pop up...it's like a shock its so painful. They'll be like 2-4 stabs and it stops. The only thing(s) different I've been doing lately are using kleenex rolled up to use as ear plugs so I don't hear other people when I'm sleeping; I also went to a concert 2 weeks ago, but I used ear plugs (same kind); I use kleenex b/c they don't block out quite as much noise.
I've used kleenex in my ears before, but I suppose never so for so many consecutive days (about 7).
Tags: sharp, inner, Pain, Ear
Wouldn't be caused by Kleenex in the ears. It could have many causes--TMJ (temporomandibular joint), trigeminal neuralgia, etc., I don't know what all.

If it continues or gets unbearable, see your doctor. If you have any signs of infection (continuous pain, trouble hearing, drainage, fever, etc.) see your doctor right away.

Nancy T.
I did go to the doctor and he *thinks* its eustatian tube dysfunction; he saw a little bit of red on my eardrum. He also doesn't see anything wrong in the actual ear canal, just the redness on the drum. And he says my left nostril looks clogged. He gave me some clarinex samples and Flonase generic ($57!!). So far it hasn't helped. I keep having 'episodes'...the pain is almost unbearable. Is there some tests I could have done if this doesn't work?
If it doesn't go away eventually, see an ENT.

If the ENT cannot help you and the problem continues, see a neurologist.
I'm going to see an ENT Mon. Once I ran out of the Clarinex it seemed to get worse.
I went to an ENT and they checked my ear canals (normal; no fluid) and my pressure (normal). So he thinks its TMJ (I was diagnosed w/that many many years ago; never had ear pain from it) inflammation; and he mentioned nerves in there somewhere. But my question is, if that's what it is, why is a medication like Clarinex (or Allegra) helping? Makes no sense. I asked a pharmacist and she says to get another opinion.

The ENT gave me an anti-inflammatory to take for 8 days and then call. But if I'm on the Allegra and this new med, of course it will be fine in 8 days b/c we already know the Allegra helps, duh!! I was in that office for 3 minutes, tops. Then an audiologist checked my pressures in 45 seconds.
I don't know... it could be coincidental that you got better while taking Clarinex (or Allegra). I would try what the ENT suggests and go from there. If you've had TMJ before, even if you have different symptoms with it now, it could still be from TMJ. I do think that TMJ can indeed cause sharp ear pains (I've heard).

If you don't get better in 8 days, be sure to let your ENT know and see what he suggests as a next step. Sorry you are having this pain--nerve pain can be unbelievably sharp!

Good luck,

Nancy T.
TM joint is most often confused with ear pain because of its close proximity. It may be TMJ disorder(when pain is involved). Inflammation would make the area sensitive and lying on the joint increase the pain that you experienced when you did so. Nortriptyline in a low dose which is not to sedative can be an alternative if you find no immediate relief. Unresolved TMJ problems can cause a lot more than inflammation and pain. If it doesn't go away don't wait too long to get it looked at again. Take care.

Daniel
I went to a different ENT that actually gave a **** about me and she said to stay on Allegra (which seems to be helping the pain; thing is, now I'm scared to go off it b/c the pain comes back).
However, I feel like the pressure inside my ears is more. I can hear the same (you know when you're in a plane, and your ear pressures change, plus your hearing goes out until you 'pop' your ears? Its a bit like that, without the hearing change).
I've read they can put tubes in your ear or a hole in the eardrum, but that introduces infection and I REALLY don't want to do either of those. Any of you guys that have had similar symptoms...what has helped you? I guess since they cannot get inside my head into the eustatian part, it would have to be with medication yes?
Sorry...forgot to add that chewing gum, yawning, holding my nose and swallowing (which HURTS and just makes me deaf for a second) doesn't help.
Ok, tonight the pain came back. I've been taking the meds too. So I don't know what to do now. I'm scared this won't go away. If there's anyone here that's had the same thing, what have you done that's helped.
i have been suffering from severe inner ear pain for almost two years now... it took forever for me to finally see a dr. bc the pain would be off and on.  Eventually I went to a dr. and she told me it was a sinus problem or a dysfunctional eustatian tube... she gave me nose spray which kind of helped but not really, just made me feel weird.  I just went to a specialist who said there could be something wrong with the lymph nodes or even the bone... I have to go and have a CT scan this monday.  Maybe what I have is different than you, but I would definately ask if they think a CT scan or MRI would help in determining the problem.  
I haven't had the pain in a while. My doc said it could be the Eustachian tube. And I did have scans on my head and there's something on one of my lymph nodes but they say its nothing to worry about...
I am having the same problem! Sharp pain in my ear, I put some drops in my ear thinking maybe built up wax and it made it worse! Now my head is sore as well! Going to the doctor next week, will keep you posted on my results!
Hey- I am having the SAME inner ear pain and have an appointment with a neurologist.  I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia.  I have had it for 9 year but would go several years with no episodes.  Usually it lasts a day and then done - none for six months - this one I am on day three.  Feels like someone is stabbing me in the ear with a screw driver.  anyway...will let you know what neurologist says. I went to accupuncture today.  Said needed to get inflamation (inflammation) down in my body systemically to help (no sugar, dairy, wheat).
God that sounds awful! My neuro never mentioned that as something I have. I looked it up and it says it's facial pain...maybe that extends into the ear? I'm gonna ask my  neuro about it...and he'll probably say I'm worrying too much, when in fact I'm just trying to find an answer. So if I'm active in my health, i worry too much? What a crock of ****. No, i'm trying to make up for the **** they miss. It's damn frustrating when no one takes you seriously.
Yes, anyone who has posted here, let me know what happens with you.
OMG I was diagnosed with 5 yrs ago.  It has always involved the pain starting on my face and the pain shooting under my eye then out my ear.  The last couple of months I have only had the stabbing pain in my ear and I am wondering if it is the trigeminal neuralgia or is it something else.  I didn't know if anyone knew if the trigeminal neuralgia could just cause the shooting pain in the ear only without involving the facial pain.
I have inner ear pain left ear only really. (sharp pains) the pain is unbearable but what can i do tho ? it some time isn't to bad but has never truly gone away. I dont watch tv any more no music, anything out of speaker really hurts and pisses me off and i have tinnitus also but that is nothing compared to the pain. its been over two years like this now. There is no doubt in my mind this has been cause by noise exposure. ( i am a X dj) I have seen 3 ears specialist over the 2 years and none can help me let along tell me what i have done to my ears. When the pain first started i just kept listening to music then the ringing came i was very stupid but unaware of the what you can do to your ears. This year i have led a very quiet life style no tv no going out unless i have to. I tryed to rest them nothing helps other than muching pain killers witch is waste of time too. If u have some thing like this please let me know. I hope to wake up from this night mare one day.
I started to get sharp pain in my right ear a couple of years ago.  The pain would last for a few seconds; under 10, but really sharp. The last one almost made me cry.  I have seen any doctor yet but there are 2 possibilities.  One, I crank up the music whenever I'm in the car.  For the past 10 years, there were spans of 2-3 years where my drive to work is 45-60 min long.  For the last 3 years, the daily drive has been about 15 min long.  Two, how I clean my ears.  Ever since I was a kid, I had always used cotton swab deep in my ear.  I have watery earwax so if I don't do it, it'd feel like water dripping in my ears.  But then the question is why just the right ear?  
Also, twice in the past few months, my hearing felt like what someone else described above; it felt like the I'm on the airplane and the cabin pressure changed.
i had an accident at work 7 yrs ago & burned a hole thru my eardrum, burned the middle ear & the eustcahion tube... 3000 degree steam water accident, left ear... sharp ear pain ***** i agree, when it comes to nerve pain, & this is for everyone, Gabapentin is the best thing. i still have some spikes of course & nothing takes all the pain away but i can manage my life much better now that i can focus on something other than pain... or muddleing thru pain pills, it's a non-opiate pain reliver. i would be living day to day in almost 24hr sharp ear pain, the kind that makes you want to fashion a 50's car bummper into a hat!! Gabapentin can be taken in low to high doses so talk to your dr & see what she/he says. accupuncture works wonders on nerve pain too, just keep going!! I hope it heals or at least gets less frequent for you...
  I don't know if any of you have found relief yet (I REALLY hope so!), but I started having a similar problem last week (stabbing ear pain, plus a sore throat & scalp pain) - the doc said that I have "swimmer's ear".  After discussing a few things, she said she believed that my ear-cleaning habit may be to blame (I use cotton swabs to get water out of my ears after showers & tend to do exactly what they tell you NOT to do, sticking the swab inside my ear - water inside my ears drives me NUTS!)

I am currently on an antibiotic (there was some fluid & some redness inside my ear) and using the ear drops prescribed (Ciprodex).  I have noted some improvement: my throat is no longer sore & I am having fewer of the stabbing pains in my ear.  I still have the scalp pain, but since I have fibromyalgia, it may be that the fibro is responsible for that part.

I'm crossing my fingers & saying a prayer that we all find relief... and SOON!!!
I have a sharp pain in my ear and it went away for a little bit but came back worse, I don't know what it is, but it hurts
did your ear pain go away?
i've read every single post above, and they all sound like mine.
Only mine started yesterday morning. I have never experienced ear pain (I guess when i was a baby i had ear infections all the time), but now at 27 this is my first. It is kind of freaking me out since i have no other symptoms of an ear infection (sore throat, fever, hot ear)....it is simply just throbbing pain in my left ear. I really want to go to the doctor, but tomorrow is Saturday!
so I went to the doctor today as well for my ear problem and no answers. she could only blame it on my teeth(its not for sure). its a sudden sharp pain in my left ear, deep inside and then suddenly its gone. My ear feels a cool sensation  but also with increased pressure as well at all times. The pain isn't periodic in the sense that its predictable, but it does happen at least 3-5 x's per hour. i wonder if its related to this?

This is as your doctor correctly said, Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.
I had same the issue due to my Sinus problem. Every time I caught a cold, the Inner Ears became heavy and clogged. No pain though. Pain could mean that fluid build up inside (which isn't flowing out fast enough) has some infection in it.

I have from personal experience known that Anti-Histamines like ALASPAN etc. do not help. Then i researched Homeopathic medicines for this.

Came across a website abchomeopathy.com
Where the following medicines were prescribed:-

1. MERC DULCIS 30, Drops, 3/4 times a day

Take 3-4 drops in half a cup of water on empty stomach. Avoid food 30 minutes before it. And 45 minutes post medicine. The Drops remove all Inner ear Infection, making the membranes come to their normal size, thus enabling mucous/Fluid to flow from Eustachian tube.

2. KALI MUR 6X, pallets, 3 pallets thrice a day
Same precautions as above. These pallets will help thin the mucous/Fluid to allow easy flow out.

Avoid Dairy products, sweet stuff and Garlic (If you take that is), Drink enough water to keep body fluids thin in viscosity. Also Vitamin B12 is also known to reduce Inner ear fluids So you could take BECOSULE after dinner 1 capsule only.

I had recommended same Homeopathic remedies to one Mr. Jim on this website itself. He was suffering from ETD since 2007. When I suggested these in April 2012, He was completely cured almost immediately. Someone who posted daily updates since 2007, was off the website for good 3 months! Eventually he came, and confirmed that all was cured...

Homeopathy works brilliantly in Respiratory issues. Take it.
Please do give a feedback.

Regards,
Akshay Kaul
India

For further details refer:

http://homeopathyplus.com.au/ear-infections-and-earaches-homeopathic-treatment-better-than-antibiotics/

I have been having the same exact pain in the ear for more than 3 months now. Have you found permanent relief to share with me? As you well know this is truly depressing
For SG2121, and all the rest of you folks, I believe I have figured out what has been going on, to at least some of you anyway. I googled all my symptoms today then clicked on this site and began reading everything people were saying about their eerily similar symptoms.

I was experiencing the same, excruciating "screw driver in the left ear" pain that most of you were describing, as well as a weird tingling and rustling noise from what I thought was liquid (or something) moving in my ear canal. Then I would get those sharp, jump out of your seat stabbing pains over and over. It was so bad that I started jumping up and down on my left foot, with my head tilted down to the left (like when you get out of the shower and are trying to get water out of your ear) and at the same time was pressing on my ear with my fingers and wiggling them all around until the pain would stop. I became rather depressed though to find that practically no one had gotten any answers whatsoever from all their "so-called" expert doctors.

I even said to my wife that "if I didn't know better, I would swear there was some kind of bug in my ear", trying to bore his way through my eardrum. Because not one person even mentioned such a thing, I thought to myself, NO, it couldn't be that. Just the thought of it creeped me out.

But guess what?? It WAS A BUG!! And how I found out, was when I decided to take a Q-tip and rub some tea tree oil around the outside opening of my ear canal. Immediately after I did that, the rustling noise got louder inside my ear, then this long, thin white bug dropped out onto my shirt, and on to my shoulder. It happened so fast that it freaked me out and I just grabbed the tissue that was laying right there and squished him in it. I really wish now that I hadn't done that, so that I could have been sure of what it was exactly, but I did put it in a baggie so that when I go to the ear doctor next week maybe they will still be able to tell me what it was.

I sure hope this will help someone else out there deal with an extremely traumatic & bizarre situation. I will be 60 years old next week and in all of my years I have never had such a thing happen before. Makes me want to start sleeping with ear plugs every night now.

Well, yesterday I saw a silverfish crawling on the floor and grabbed it on a tissue, gently squishing it this time, then I looked at it under a microscope compairing it to the one that came out of my ear, which was a little more squished but there was no mistaking it was the exact same bug.

I have had to deal with these bugs here in Southern Califonia for years so I do do not believe it is a common experience.

Short of hiring an exterminator I read that using boric acid and even some cinnamon around the baseboards, especially in the bathroom, kitchen and in the dark places behind and under appliances, and of course the bedroom where the little scoundrel got in my ear in the first place while I was sleeping.

So like I said in my last post, though I didn't even know what was going on for sure yet in my ear, I go it out by putting a tiny bit of tea-tree oil around the outside of my ear opening with a Q-tip, and out it came.

For anyone who believes this same thing is happening to them, give this a try. Or go here to find some other things that will help get it out.

http://pohick.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-safely-remove-bug-from-your-ear.html

I just read your post from June18, 2013, you didn't indicated if you ever went to see an ear Dr, as I imagine your bug would be seen thru an otoscope. let me know, as I am reviewing these sites due to the fact that my son is experiencing sharp or zapping like pain in his left ear.( He has a sensourineural hearing loss diagnosed in 1990 at age 3 and wears hearing aids.) and although we have been to the ENT several times, he sees nothing wrong.
I have these exact symptoms and saw a doctor today.  He diagnosed me with Trigeminal Neuralgia.  What was your outcome?  
I've had the same problem for quite a few years now.  Comes and goes with no warning.  I've been to several doctors and specialists and they all have "ideas", but no one has ever been able to give me a definitive answer.  I'm on day 4 of this episode and the pain is intense, but I'm really tire of throwing money at them to "try this", "try that".  One doctor said it was wax on the ear drum, the next basically said that was nuts and said it was allergies.  Nothing they've ever done has done any good.  I just wait (and hope) for it to go away.  :(
hi,
i have been suffering this pain under my left ear and inner ear for last 3 yrs after i lost my mom. then i abt a yr bck it had completely stopped. now a week bck its started again and however strong painkiller i have they just dont seem to work. and last 4 days i have veen on net just surfing to find a way to stop this pain. or the cause. i stumbbled upon a disease which actually is a suppressed emotion or feelings we dont want to encounter or look at or face it.
http://www.menieres-disease.ca/ear-pain.htm
i tried going through my emotion and making myself face it and my severe screw driver drilling pain slowly slowly eased out on its on. plz check this link, it might help u, those who are ready to face their emotions. and for others who are not ready yet to know u have to face it some day.
I was misdiagnosed by 3 doctors 1.5 years ago with a major ear infection. I finally went to an ENT and they said I never had an infection, but that TMJ was causing my ear pain. A few steroid shots later and a new night guard, I was doing fine...until nearly 4 months ago. I went to an Oral Surgeion and had SURGERY for a misplaced disc in my jaw, due to TMJ in hopes of helping the stabbing ear pain I have had for nearly 4 months now. I had surgery 8/19/14. THE EAR PAIN IS WORSE! I now have an appointment with a ENT that specializes in the nerves of the ear, but can't get in until 9/26/14. I don't know how I am going to function that long. I'm relieved to see other people have had the same debilitating symptoms and would love to hear any advice, your outcomes, etc. Thank you in advanced, I am loosing my mind!
I feel your pain. A few years back i developed this intense pain in my right ear it would only last a few seconds and then start again. Went through all the test and treatments. found nothing wrong. because could not find a reason why my ear hurts said it was probley referred pain. Last night after several yrs. the pain came back. Now I am praying it will leave soon. Very painful. Sorry you are having this problem to. But i can see we r not alone. Just wish there was something that would help other than pain pills.I have tried the Allegra and a round of steroids didn't seem to help.By the way i do have TMJ and was told that has nothing to do with it.go figure, hope you feel better soon. as well as myself.
I can't believe I found this site. These are the same symptoms I am having and for one month now I feel like I am losing my mind. I've been admitted to the hospital for a cardiac workup after the pain in my jaw and ear was so bad I could not open my mouth all the way and the Emergency room staff thought it was jaw pain associated with a heart attack, I've seen an ENT, Internal Medicine specialist, my regular Family MD, follow-ed up with my Cardiologist, and my ENT last week finally said he thought it was Trigeminal Neuralgia and started me on Tegretol. He said we would know for sure if the Tegretol worked. Well...the side effects of trying to increase the dose of Tegretol are just as horrible as the pain I'm suffering intermittently in my Left ear and around my ear. I told my Primary last Wednesday, I'm done guessing what is wrong and can't stand the pain any longer and wanted an MRI. She ordered it with contrast and a MRI of the brain and Auditory system. I'm having it in three days. I feel like no one is taking my situation seriously and because they can't figure it out, are associating it with "stress".  This is not stress...this is real ice-pick in the ear stabbing pain and pain when I open my mouth.  I also went to my dentist and she also referred me to an oral surgeon and they both do not believe this is just TMJ that has come on suddenly with no previous history of any problems. I am very claustrophobic...but I'll gladly endure that for an MRI to rule out a tumor or cyst somewhere causing pain on the nerve areas to get a definitive diagnosis. Will keep you updated on how the MRI goes and what it shows.
I'm on the same boat....  a few weeks ago my ear would pound at night.  Like I could feel my heartbeat right inside my right ear...   So i thought it was weird but that was all.  a few days after that, one night, i got a sharp stabbing pain in the right ear that laster for a second or two.  it happened the following night as well.  i made an appt with primary doctor and went in the next day.  she said it was red and did look like an infection.  she put me on antibiotics and this is my eight day taking them.  but even tonight, i got that sharp stabbing pain too.  it doesn't last long but it is a sharp pain.  but it mostly happens at night.  then it sometimes radiates in a dull way, to my my throat and to my face...  but why are the anibiotics not doing away with the pain?  if it is an infection?   Also, i too, have a my jaw a bit dislocated but it is on the left side... every now and then my jaw locks. but not often... it does pop a bit sometimes but i have not ever had a real problem with it.  and i had not ever had pain in my ear...   but all this pain, itching, etc... has really started about two years ago...  for many nights my ears would itch like crazy, it really felt like something was in there!  a bug or something!  the itching would wake me up in the middle of the night.  sometimes it was in my left ear and sometimes the right one....  i would also feel like dull pressure-like sensations in my head ( i still feel these)  but it was not this stabbing pain in ear.  the stabbing pain just started about two weeks ago.  I also had been to see a neurologist around the time my itching started.  They suggested I might have some pinched nerve...  I even went again to another neurologist and he said nothing seemed to be wrong.  So, since i'm almost up with my antibiotics and i still feel this fast stabbin pain in the right ear (my jaw locks on the left, so is it usually same side? )   I will be making an appointment for this Monday to see if it is something else...   I'm a little concerned not knowing what it could be.  I've even thought it could be bugs...worms...   I hope it is nothing serious, I've been told it isn't, but i sure do pray & hope these pains and itching do stop.