Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sharp shooting sporadic right ear pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sharp shooting sporadic right ear pain

For three days now I have had sporadic sharp shooting pain in my right ear and the right side of my head. Sometimes the pain shoots only in the ear or only in the head or both at the same time. It lasts only a second. I have no other symptoms and don't have allergies. Also the right side of my throat is very slightly sore or irritated occasionally since this started. There doesn't seem to be any method to it. I may have it happen twice in a minute then go 20 minutes without it. Today is day three and it hasn't gotten any better or worse since the first day. Any suggestions?
I have exactly the same thing and am getting towards the end of day three, i am thinking of calling my gp tomorrow, does anyone have any advice on this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are tubes called 'Eustachian  tubes' which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get  blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears. This can also result in infection of the ears causing pain. The blocked ears can be opened up by the valsalva maneuver, where air is blown into the cheeks against a closed nostrils, this sometimes helps to open up the tubes. Steam inhalations can help clear the tube. Please consult your family physician.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.