Shingles in ear
Can you get shingles in your ear?
I think shingles follow the nerves outward from the spine.  Given that, it would take a long time for them to reach your ear, and probably you would  have seen them elsewhere first.  It might just be a skin infection that looks like shingles.
In regards to getting shingles in your ear, judging by my current symptoms, yes.  I have quite a few "rashes" on one side of my head and neck, and that ear is in a lot of pain.  It all showed up at the same time.  I thought it was an ear infection with unrelated chemical burns from work, until my diagnosis.  I see the ENT on Monday.  It'll be a long wait.  
it's in "regard" to...(NO S!)  but yeah shingles can start in the ear and attack the facial nerve.. the other poster Angie is wrong.
oops  sorry Angie I meant to say AnnieBrooke is WRONG

totally wrong about shingles and the ear .. and having to see it elsewhere first.. WRONG WRONG WRONG..

It can start on the facial nerve which is right next to the ear... it won't take long to spread from there.. she is wrong to say  "shingles follow the nerves outward from the spine.  Given that, it would take a long time for them to reach your ear, and probably you would  have seen them elsewhere first.  It might just be a skin infection that looks like shingles."

if you think you have shingles get to a DR right away and get on medication to minimize the damage.. you could lose your hearing in that ear...

Angie is WRONG! and   iron_hampster put an S at the end of in regard  .. WRONG TOO!
Angie so sorry ha ha .. I keep getting you confused with Annie..

it's ANNIE that is WRONG not Angie
I wish I could edit my comments!
has anyone ever heard of shingles on one side of the face with extreme ear pain. no rash has ever appeared. i have been prescribed to take neurontin 300mg 3 times a day since june of this year. very little improvement so far. my doctor says it probably will be at least a year to get any better. is this the norm with facial shingles?