Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Shingles in my ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Shingles in my ear

I was diagnosed with shingles in my right ear two months ago. I was perscribed steroids and acyclovir which, initially, worked well to relieve the pain. About 3 weeks ago both my eyes, and the areas around them such as the lids and the areas that makeup my eye socket , started itching severely. Today the same aweful pain I had in my ear in a few months ago has come back. I can't see a doctor for 3 days......and the pain is getting worse. I have no rash as of yet, what may be happening at this point?
You need to go to the emergency ward if your eyes are affected. If not treated promptly it can lead to blindness.

Go to the emergency ward and tell them that you have shingles. Tell them you can't see your doctor for a few days yet, and they should give you some medication.
I took your suggestion and went to the emergency room, After sitting for 2 hours waiting for an ENT doctor to see me (he never came) the ER doctor said all they could do is give me a Vicodine. I would need blood tests and an MRI, so my regular physician would have to request this. They also said the issue with my eyes has nothing to do with my shingles outbreak in my ear. I left very upset.