Short dose of Prednisone for swollen sinuses/severe allergies ?
I am 62 and have a history of sinus infections, sinus congestion, headaches/pressure and allergy symptoms(sneezing, itchy eyes,et.c). I also have enlarged tonsils and have had tonsilitis over the ears. I often take antibiotics for these infections and they clear. That can average at least 3 or 4 times per year. In 2012 with our strange S CA weather this winter, I have had constant sinus congestion/swelling, post nasal drip, nose bleeds after trying a different prescription antihistamine spray and it seems saline rinses and daily Claritin offer no relief.
I will also add..About 10 months, I got a referral to an ENT who did a very brief exam of my nasal passages and ordered sinus x-rays.They came back normal. He also spent most of the office visit lecturing me about allergies and what to do about getting rid of carpet in my home and making sure I had hard flooring in the bedroom. He also advised to make my cat sleep in another room.
He never even looked at my tonsils after I had mentioned issues with sore throats and tonsil "stones". That visit was no help. He basically said to see an allergist. When I mentioned I had seen an ENT years ago and told I had a nasal pollup.  this ENT, he had no comment. He seemed no longer interested in helping me.
In December, I had to change my PCP as my Dr of a number of years retired. The new PCP seems more interested in helping. She just prescribed a short dose of Prednisone 10 MG to help reduce the nasl swelling. She called this a "steroid pulse". Has anyone tried this?  Also, gave me a sample supply of Singulair to try and said to take this along with the generic Claritin. I am still doing evening saline rinses with a neti pot.
Well, if anyone has any other suggestions, please reply.
Thanks for your time.
High Minus
Hi HighMinus...I like you have had sinus problems all my life.  I took the Prednisone with a steroid spray and it really helped me.  The only thing is your only allowed to take so much of that and they hesitate keep giving it to you.  I use a Netti Bottle with the saline solution everyday and I find that really helps.  I also use a warm air vaporizer at nite and that seems to keep my sinus's clear.  I also take a Reactine everynite.  I find this one helps with sleep and keeps me dry.  Good luck and just be patient with the prednisone...it does work.  Lauren
I've had allergies, sinus problems, & never have been able to breath thru my nose for pretty much all my life.  At age 41, I decided to see an Allergist & her exact words was that I'm pretty "blocked up."  I think she was in disbelief that I have lived w/ this all this years.  Anyways, she gave me 50 mg of Prednisone to take for 7 days.  I was apprehensive, but she reassured me that this would help me breath.  Boy, was she right.  Right after the very 1st dose, I've been able to breath thru mu nose not my mouth.  Amazing!!  I also have to use Nasonex spray, 1x/day and allergy testing.  She indicated that I would need allergy shots for the next 3-5 years.  I live in Hawaii, at this point I'll do what ever it takes.  It sound like you may need a higher dose of Prednisone, and maybe see an Allergist.  Hope this helps.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Short courses of steroids are given in severe cases of allergies and if there is severe inflammation. This will help to relieve the congestion and the symptoms. Singulair is a leukotriene receptor antagonist indicated for relief of  symptoms of  allergic rhinitis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I'd also recommend magnesium supplements, either through a multivitamin or nettle leaf capsules.  There is research that it lessens allergic reaction, and no side effects.  A large number of people have magnesium deficiencies.
yes i totally agree 2012 in s. california has been brutal for me as well.  i have suffered a total of 4 upper respiratory infections this year.  the latest now is a post nasal drip with a hacking cough.  ent prescribed prednisone 10 mg for 4 days just to clear me up.  i have been coughing for close to 4 weeks now.  i am coughing a lot less these days.  ent said i might have had a left over infection that never cleared up so he prescribed augmentin antibiotic.  at night i take phenergan with codeine to help me sleep.  during the day i get bad headaches so i take either tylenol or advil and then i take the prednisone and the augmentin antibiotic.  ah my head is throbbing right now...combination sinus infection and probably allergies...aaaargh i know how you feel...
You need to find an excellent ENT. After 35 years of suffering from sinus infections, I can tell you that not all ENTs are created equal. The best require a ct scan and then use all the tools to get control of the inflammation including nasal flushing (try the dr grossan water pump-about $80 on Amazon), steroids(topical and oral) and antibiotics. Nasal flushing with tobeamyicin is very effective at killing bacteria. If you ate in San Diego, try dr Terrance Davidson at UCSD (very strange guy but a leader in this specialty). In Orange County, try the specialists at UCI, Dr Bhandarker.  Can't recommend any others. Good luck. So Cal has been an allergy nightmare this year.