Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Singer with Throat blockage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Singer with Throat blockage

I'm 14 and I had a small cold about 7 or 8 months ago. When you have a cold you usually get mucas and phlem stuck in your throat. Well after I got over my cold I STILL have stuff in my throat! It didnt bother me at first, but now when I try to sing the stuff will come up and make my voice crack and sound terrible and I have to stop to clear in continuosly! I'v tried coughing hard, hacking, and drinking hot things to clear it but nothing works! I really love to sing and I've been trying to upload a YouTube video of me but I can't very well do that when I have to stop even minute to clear my throat! What can I do to get rid of the phlem completely?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.