Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sinus- Bacterial or Viral Infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sinus- Bacterial or Viral Infection?

Hi,  5 weeks ago I felt really congested, but I did not have a fever, my mucus was clear, and when the doctor tapped my sinus cavities with her hands they did not hurt.  She told me that I was suffering from allergies, and did not need antibiotics.  I was happy because I do not like to take antibiotics if I don't have to.  She prescribed me pseudophedrine to decongest and told me to take benadryl at night.  I did; I also rested a lot and three days later I felt better.  
I took pseudophedrine and benadryl here and there, but not everyday anymore.  Three weeks after seeing my doctor, I started to cough up yellow mucus and I once again started taking the pseudophedrine and benadryl combo every day.  Then I took three days off work to relax.  I did nothing but sit on the couch and read, but I still felt tired.  Without the pseudophedrine, I would not have been able to think and read because my face would have been so inflamed, so I kept taking one pseudophedrine every morning, and one benadryl at night.  
Upon waking up, I'd cough up old dried out dark yellow mucus (probably left over from all the decongesting).  After 4 days of this I realized that I was only surviving because of pseudophedrine and I didn't want to become dependent on it, so I decided to go to the doctor.  She tapped my sinus cavities with her hands and they hurt.  The doctor didn't seem to know whether it was a bacterial or viral infection, but she said it was probably bacterial.  I was reluctant to take antibiotics if I didn't need them, but all the doctors are closing for the next four days because of Christmas, so I didn't want to take a chance and I asked her to prescribe me azithromycin (the Z-pack).  She said amoxycillon was better for sinus infections, but I don't like that one, which is why I asked for the one that I did.  
I'm just confused as to whether I made the right choice and whether it seems to everyone like I do have a bacterial infection?  I would hate to be on antibiotics if I don't need them.  Now I'm stuck either way, because I already started my Z-pack.  Would still love to hear everyone's input though.  Thank you :)  (This happens to be every year during winter, so once a year I end up taking azithromycin :(
Once you start a z-pack don't quit, or it may come back.  By the end of this decade most antibiotics probably won't work anyway, due to accelerated antibiotic resistance, so you may be interested in the all-natural Sinus Flush

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush

The sinus flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over in a shower, but you can also bend over a tub or do it outside on soft ground.

Good luck