Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sinus Congestion becomes ear infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sinus Congestion becomes ear infection

Hi, I had the influenza virus (or its symptoms) 3 weeks ago, but I had temporarily been better. A week after that the influenza virus that I thought was gone allowed bacterial flu to come in, and I had sinus congestion symptoms. After that flu went away, I started coughing up white mucus, my nose was full of mucus, and there's mucus stuffed behind my eardrum, which is out of reach of a Q-tip and can't be drained out. My ears have been in pain since it was stuffed up, and only is in pain when I talk. As a result, I've missed so much school from this already.
Is this a question or a statement?

Either way, I doubt seriously a Q tip is going to be of any help regarding your hearing.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/anatomy/ear/

If you look at the link the ear is comprised of 3 major areas, outer, middle and inner.

If you do have any fluid hindering your hearing it would be located in the middle ear cavity, which is a chamber. Theoritically you could shove a Q tip through the ear drum, (tearing through the ear drum)
thus allowing the middle ear cavity to drain...   But I would advise that!

You need to see a physicain and resolve this health matter.
I forgot to add "What should I do?" to the first post, but thanks!
I advise my patients not to shove anything in their ears, for fear of puncturing their eardrums

The fluid in your inner ear is there because of the post-nasal drip from your flu, which clogged up the eustachian tubes that otherwise drain your ear.

I agree with Wear/a/Jimmy that a doc can help, specifically, in prescribing nasal steroids (and other sprays) and decongestants

Wear/a/Jimmy has a good way to rinse them:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/665
Sorry, that should have read "But I would NOT advise that."

Secondly, that link posted by Dr. Choi is actually provided by Friggy.
I did see a doctor, and I was prescribed a nasal spray and told to take Motrin. Well, I yawned this morning and my right ear started cracking and very much in pain (for about 6 seconds). I became partly deaf in two ears now. Is this normal?
Ear cracking sounds with pain can occur with otitis media with effusion (serous otitis media) which can be helped by steroid nasal sprays and rinsing with saline.  What nasal spray were you prescribed?
Hippocrates777, you may get more responses if you copied your wordpress blog entry and pasted it into a new MedHelp forum post here.
These symptoms are not easily attributable to a viral illness.  Even without bacterial culture results, it may be more of an autoimmune or issue with depression or anxiety.

I would get another opinion from an infectious disease specialist at a university medical center
Hi, Hip ...

This is Kevin from Saskatoon.
I'll be commenting on your blog soon.  I have the extreme version of the symptoms that you list (little over a year).  I think that a group of us needs to form.  There is a serious pandemic here and no one (but us) seems to recognize it.
Hope to chat soon.
Take care,
Kevin
two years ago I suffered i will call it an alergy (allergy) attack,  i was out in the park and all of a sudden my nose,  sinuses and ears were stuff with fluid , i was advice to take benadril , i was deaf for a week and later a could hear from my left ear bu lost hearing from my right i went like this for 4 months when i went back to the doctor i found out i had an ear infection the strange thing is that i never experience pain or fever i took antibiotics and the infection went away buy i lost hearing on that ear i still haven found out what went on and why i lost hearing can any one explain me or tell me if there is a chance that i get my hearing back?
Hi Dr. Choi

I have been experiencing pain in my right ear for 7 days now; sharp pain when I cough, drink hot or cold fluids, burp, etc. Only relieved is by taking Motrin every 10 hours or so.  It feels like it is directly connected to when I swallow as well.  I have sensitivity from my right jaw all the way to the top of my head on my right side; "pressure" dull ache sensation like a sore muscle; no headache though.  I was experiencing some mild stuffy nose (sinus) symptoms just before the ear pain and other symptoms. Recently went in to have it checked and was told that my eardrum appeared normal but there was some inflamation (inflammation) in the canal near the eardrum.  I was given Neomycin & Polymyxin B Sulfates & Hydrocortisone for the inflamation (inflammation) in the canal but after 2 days of taking it I have had no relief.  I am now thinking  this is more of an infection in the tube that connects to the inner ear vs. the sore spot in the ear canal itself.  What do you think? Suggestions?

Thank you for your expertise!

Thanks greywolf007
ahhhhhhhh this season is bringing more n more sickness.... i had sinus congestion and then had ear ache too right ear... few days ago it felt blocked with sharp pain using motrin worked..also right side throat was sore n neck was swollen...  but i've seen a doc n have ear fluid n infection ...i am on amoxicillin, nasal spray n also sudafed to clear congestion...feel much better now...gud luck greywolf007 n dont delay to see a doc...
hmmm... u've seen a doc... ya cud b a ET related ... sometimes lymph nodes, jaw related issues can trigger ear pain...did u get a chance to visit a dentist....i had a prob with my wisdom tooth all yr round i had dull ache in my ear n every time i visited doc she said ear is ok...it was from tooth... gud luck once again...
Thanks for your input biloo.  It's somewhat soothing to know that others have experienced similar issues.  I have put in another email to my primary md for follow-up.
Hello;
I have had a slight cold for over a week, runny nose and coughing up yellow mucus.
That is mostly gone now, but i have a pain in my ear i have never felt before.
It is as if i am going through an altitude change, or as if there is fluid inside there.
Actually, when i turn my head sideways it gets better.
I am worried about an infection since I am in a foriegn country, i.e. France.
If some over the counter drugs would work, than that would be far preferable than seeing a doctor if not really needed.
Any advice on what is wrong?
my ear has been stuffed for weeks now and its irritating nothing seems to help.i feel my nasal drip is not draining or dripping properly what should i do,its gotten to were i hear a constant ring in my ear now,,please help
I am a student and have only seen the clinic on campus. But first I had the swine flu, followed by an ear inefection, then a sinus infection, and then the strep throat. This was over the course of two months, without a rest between any illness. I was prescribed antibiotics for each issue, but now I have a recurring sore throat. I was blaming my stress from school on my illness, but I am now on vacay and I am still getting sick. I am good for a day, then I crash. Low grade fever, my whole body is sore, and my throat looks just as bad as it did when I had strep. Could this be complication from the flu?
Hi, I started in October with terrible headache, upper body sweats,and achey (achy) ears. It lasted about 1O days severely, then seemed to go away. Came back at the end of the month, I went to urgent care, they said it was sinusitis,gave me z-pack. It "seemed" to get better, two weeks later, back into urgent care, another z-pack. I rested,and felt better,then it hit again. This time went to my primary, he said it was a virus,it has to run it's coarse. My body is worn out from letting it run it's coarse. My next step will be amoxicillin to see if that works. I am also using a nedi pot/saline solution, mucinex, and nose spray. I am never sick except during flu season. This is the worst.What else can be done?
Like everyone else, I have started out with what the doctor thought was an sinus infection, took antibotics for 10-days, but they did not work. Very bad ear ache that I can not sleep because of humming and blockage in left ear, they said it was an ear infection and prescribed pencilian, still no improvement. I went to an ENT, yes lots of fluid in ear, prescribed more antibotics for 7-days, plus Sudafed and/or Benadryl to help me sleep - I have not had a good sleep now in 4 weeks, still no improvement.  Since then I have had verigo, loss my balance and sprang my ankle; more antibotics - still in pain, Advil not effective. Seems like I am immune to any meds. I want to request blood work to find out what is wrong with me, but don't know what to ask for? Help!
The last time I had a middle ear infection, I had mild hearing loss as well, and antibiotics did not help me at all.  Instead, I used an old home remedy: I tilted my head sideways, put a capful of hydrogen peroxide in my infected, "stuffed-up" ear for a minute at a time, then tilted my head to the other side to let it drain.  I did this twice a day for about four or five days before the fluid sac popped and drained.
my ears hurts really bad. it feels like there is someone shoving a Q-tip in my ears really far.  i have not gone swimming, but i have been having sinus problems. are there any home remedies i can try besides vinegar to soothe the pain in the ear?
I have have a bad sinus infection for weeks and now I have yellow stuff drianing out of my ears. I got tiered of the infections. So went to an old rementy giger honey tea with a 1/2 of a cup of wisky added to the tea. with cooking one teaspoon of ginger in with the tea bags. Now after being on that for only two days so far the swolling of my sinuses has gone down so much that I can findly see my check bones. It is also drying out my sinuses. I have been drinking one coffee cup at bed time and one in the morning. I am getting better by the day. Just make sure to cover the bottom of the tea picher with the honey. If you buy the small teddy bear honey use half of it. per picher of tea made.
I suffered for 8 weeks with ear drops for otitis media but had a recurrent episode of ear infection. I discovered that a qtip covered in manouka honey (UMP 15+) and then rubbing the honey gently inside my outer ear - bingo 2 days and my muffed hearing has restored. I will continue this for a week to ensure all bacteria/virus are distroyed so there is no chance of recurrent episode.  Manouka honey has unique proerty of destroying bacteria and virus so whichever is the cause this could help - it certainly helped my suffering.
I see you are a doctor. I have had 4 sets of tubes in my ears since I was about 5yrsto old and I am 28his now. I have lots of scaring on my ear drums and when I get any kind of sinuses or allergies my ears always get all the drainage in them and they start hurting. What do you think I should take for this? What kind of nasal spray should I use? Or what can even ve done?
sir....same problem as stated above,puss is formed behind the eardrum,,so using endoscope docter has cleaned it two days over .but no pain is coming and  unable to hear properly,,,as before hoe much time it takes to recover ....plz repply me
not a doctorl. i want the pain to go away,afraid of stroke because of this