Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sinus Pain After Drinking Alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sinus Pain After Drinking Alcohol

Hey, Every-time when I drink, I wake up the next morning with sinus pain. Does this have any correlation or answer to why this is happening?

Do you have eye pains as well? If I drink alcohol I have sinus and eyes pains and my face is swollen at the same time.
What about your face and eyes?

Bobbie

na face is fine, just sinus around bridge of my nose
I am having exactly the same problem too, and thought it was just me that suffered this as nobody that I know of does. It's really dibilitating at times, and it's got worse as I've got older. It's taken a while for me to connect the two. Even if I have just a couple of glasses of wine I suffer for the next few days.
It's all in the middle of my forehead and down both sides of my nose.

From Sue
I have the same problem, Burning red eyes, sinus pressure, pressure in temples, and drippy nose. Have any of you  had Gastric Bypass? I had it 3 yrs ago. Does this have any relation? I admit that I over drink sometimes when this happens, but is it realted to the drinking, or my regular sinus issues? Maybe I am in denial? And if it is related to the drinking, why does it cause this? Does anyone know?

IDK

Princez
Try taking a non drowsy antihistamine tablet (eg Telfast) before you drink - I find this relieves it greatly...I still am unsure why it occurs in the first place though...
"A person susceptible to sinus disorders, particularly one who also is allergic, should avoid cigarette smoke and other air pollutants. Inflammation in the nose caused by allergies predisposes a patient to a strong reaction to all irritants. Drinking alcohol also causes the nasal-sinus membranes to swell. "
Immediately after I drink either a glass of dewars or have a couple glasses of wine i feel pain in my forehead, my eye, temple, and lower jaw all on left side face only. I work in a collision shop and breathe a lot of dust, and on top of that Ive smoked ciggerettes since im very young. Can anyone else give me some insight on why its only the left side of my face, and why its immediate after I drink? Any other medication ideas too would be helpful. Thanks!
i get a dull ache behind my right eye then increases into very bad pain about half a hour after drinking alcohol of any disrciption, i now take sudofed or other sinus reliving drugs which seem to help but i have to take increasing amounts of them, when i go to a doctor they dont seem to take this very seriously,
Hi:  I just read that the cause is of alcohol intolerance (which causes this swelling in the nasal passages) is due to histamine.  There is a natural product called Histane you can take that should relieve it.

Laura
good tip, i was told years back by my gp when sinus plays up it's often the grasses/grains in the air, and to have a antihistimine--- and some wines have grains in.
Yep -
Drink one glass of wine or beer and I risk having a serious sinus issue the next day.  Always behind my right eye where if feel like it is being pushed out of my head or squeezed.  Pressure and pain in my right ear, and pain radiating to the area of my head behind my right ear.  The only relief is cold compress and sleep.  Aleve Cold and Sinus is a miracle drug but unfortunately not 100 percent effective for me as I age.  I CANNOT drink any beer or wine, or really any alcohol anymore.  It *****.