EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
Sinus Pain After Drinking Alcohol
by dell111, Mar 17, 2008
Hey, Every-time when I drink, I wake up the next morning with sinus pain. Does this have any correlation or answer to why this is happening?
Member Comments (11)
by Bobbie33, Mar 17, 2008

Do you have eye pains as well? If I drink alcohol I have sinus and eyes pains and my face is swollen at the same time.
What about your face and eyes?

Bobbie

by dell111, Mar 17, 2008
na face is fine, just sinus around bridge of my nose
by Sue2157, Aug 30, 2008
I am having exactly the same problem too, and thought it was just me that suffered this as nobody that I know of does. It's really dibilitating at times, and it's got worse as I've got older. It's taken a while for me to connect the two. Even if I have just a couple of glasses of wine I suffer for the next few days.
It's all in the middle of my forehead and down both sides of my nose.

From Sue
by Princez76, Sep 16, 2008
I have the same problem, Burning red eyes, sinus pressure, pressure in temples, and drippy nose. Have any of you  had Gastric Bypass? I had it 3 yrs ago. Does this have any relation? I admit that I over drink sometimes when this happens, but is it realted to the drinking, or my regular sinus issues? Maybe I am in denial? And if it is related to the drinking, why does it cause this? Does anyone know?

IDK

Princez
by SparkySparkler, Nov 23, 2008
Try taking a non drowsy antihistamine tablet (eg Telfast) before you drink - I find this relieves it greatly...I still am unsure why it occurs in the first place though...
by ecap881, Feb 07, 2009
"A person susceptible to sinus disorders, particularly one who also is allergic, should avoid cigarette smoke and other air pollutants. Inflammation in the nose caused by allergies predisposes a patient to a strong reaction to all irritants. Drinking alcohol also causes the nasal-sinus membranes to swell. "
by joeharley, Aug 22, 2010
Immediately after I drink either a glass of dewars or have a couple glasses of wine i feel pain in my forehead, my eye, temple, and lower jaw all on left side face only. I work in a collision shop and breathe a lot of dust, and on top of that Ive smoked ciggerettes since im very young. Can anyone else give me some insight on why its only the left side of my face, and why its immediate after I drink? Any other medication ideas too would be helpful. Thanks!
by mattaby, Sep 28, 2010
i get a dull ache behind my right eye then increases into very bad pain about half a hour after drinking alcohol of any disrciption, i now take sudofed or other sinus reliving drugs which seem to help but i have to take increasing amounts of them, when i go to a doctor they dont seem to take this very seriously,
by bluemuse881, Jan 11, 2012
Hi:  I just read that the cause is of alcohol intolerance (which causes this swelling in the nasal passages) is due to histamine.  There is a natural product called Histane you can take that should relieve it.

Laura