Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sinus Pain After Drinking Alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sinus Pain After Drinking Alcohol

Hey, Every-time when I drink, I wake up the next morning with sinus pain. Does this have any correlation or answer to why this is happening?

Do you have eye pains as well? If I drink alcohol I have sinus and eyes pains and my face is swollen at the same time.
What about your face and eyes?

Bobbie

na face is fine, just sinus around bridge of my nose
Avatar n tn
I am having exactly the same problem too, and thought it was just me that suffered this as nobody that I know of does. It's really dibilitating at times, and it's got worse as I've got older. It's taken a while for me to connect the two. Even if I have just a couple of glasses of wine I suffer for the next few days.
It's all in the middle of my forehead and down both sides of my nose.

From Sue
Avatar n tn
I have the same problem, Burning red eyes, sinus pressure, pressure in temples, and drippy nose. Have any of you  had Gastric Bypass? I had it 3 yrs ago. Does this have any relation? I admit that I over drink sometimes when this happens, but is it realted to the drinking, or my regular sinus issues? Maybe I am in denial? And if it is related to the drinking, why does it cause this? Does anyone know?

IDK

Princez
Avatar n tn
Try taking a non drowsy antihistamine tablet (eg Telfast) before you drink - I find this relieves it greatly...I still am unsure why it occurs in the first place though...
Avatar n tn
"A person susceptible to sinus disorders, particularly one who also is allergic, should avoid cigarette smoke and other air pollutants. Inflammation in the nose caused by allergies predisposes a patient to a strong reaction to all irritants. Drinking alcohol also causes the nasal-sinus membranes to swell. "
Avatar n tn
Immediately after I drink either a glass of dewars or have a couple glasses of wine i feel pain in my forehead, my eye, temple, and lower jaw all on left side face only. I work in a collision shop and breathe a lot of dust, and on top of that Ive smoked ciggerettes since im very young. Can anyone else give me some insight on why its only the left side of my face, and why its immediate after I drink? Any other medication ideas too would be helpful. Thanks!
i get a dull ache behind my right eye then increases into very bad pain about half a hour after drinking alcohol of any disrciption, i now take sudofed or other sinus reliving drugs which seem to help but i have to take increasing amounts of them, when i go to a doctor they dont seem to take this very seriously,
Hi:  I just read that the cause is of alcohol intolerance (which causes this swelling in the nasal passages) is due to histamine.  There is a natural product called Histane you can take that should relieve it.

Laura
good tip, i was told years back by my gp when sinus plays up it's often the grasses/grains in the air, and to have a antihistimine--- and some wines have grains in.
Yep -
Drink one glass of wine or beer and I risk having a serious sinus issue the next day.  Always behind my right eye where if feel like it is being pushed out of my head or squeezed.  Pressure and pain in my right ear, and pain radiating to the area of my head behind my right ear.  The only relief is cold compress and sleep.  Aleve Cold and Sinus is a miracle drug but unfortunately not 100 percent effective for me as I age.  I CANNOT drink any beer or wine, or really any alcohol anymore.  It *****.

I have a problem. Whenever I take alcohol 45ml my eyes becomes red.I feel sleepy. But If I take 30mins to drink 45ml of well diluted alcohol, I am fine. That too, If I smoke immedietly i get red eye. what could be my problem. I have taken master health and consulted a doctor, everything seems good.
Can you help
I just recently started having pain behind the right eye right after drinking even one beer......(within the last year all of this has started)   .the pain comes later on though and not immediately...For example,   I had two beers last night with a friend.......I live about 60 mi from her and by the time I got home......it had started to hurt just alittle.......by the time it was bedtime....approx.  3 hrs later,    it really hurt... I had to sleep with my finger on my temple to block the pain so I could sleep...I have also had the pain only behind the right eye without any consumption......I am not a big drinker at all but I do enjoy at least one or two friday and saturday nights.....Im reading where this is a possible sinus issue???    Ive been wracking my brain trying to figure out the whats and whys of what it could be and what I could take to alleviate it........I dont have a high tolerance to meds like benadryl or those that might make me sleepy...........I have no swelling in my eyelids.......only the pain behind the right eye like someone is pushing it out of my head.......and sometimes some pain down the side of my head and to the back of my ear........any ideas or suggestions??
i get an ordinary discomfort behind my right eye then improves into very bad discomfort about 50 percent a time after liquor consumption of any disrciption, i now take sudofed or other nasal reliving medication which seem to help but i have to take improving levels of them, when i go to a physician they don't seem to take this very seriously,
I have been having the same issue..please let me know if you were ever able to fix it