Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sinus Plug or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sinus Plug or something else?

Been having post nasal drip something awful past several weeks to the point when choking sensation wakes me up at night.  Couple days ago, I woke up with a serious head cold; throat feels swollen, head stuffed up, head and body ache, ears plugged, you name it.  After two days of taking an decongestant, I started being able to spit up some phlem.  But the last thing I spit up was something else.  I felt it when it tore loose from some spot beneath my ear.  It was covered in blood, but it was white compared to the dark thick phlegm I had been spitting up.  It was was like cartiledge and had little tendrils I guess from where it was lodged in my sinus cavity.  My ear canal feels like it was washed: kinda sore, a little wet, but really clear.

What did I dislodge?  
Tags: plugs
I flushed the same sort of thing out of my sinuses about the 4th time I did a sinus flush.  From the research I did, it seemed to be a structure that could have been formed by a mold or fungus.  Of course, I didn't have it analyzed in a lab, so it's just speculation.

At any rate, it was the beginning of the end of my sinus problems, but if your symptoms persist, a trip to an ENT may be a good course of action.