Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sinus issue or something else

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sinus issue or something else

Hello, One morning I woke up with a cold, the common symptoms were present, I took DayQuil and NyQuil for most of the first week didn't do much, then for the first two days of the second week I took robitussin for cough( mostly at night). Then I took sudafed toward the the end of the second week and beginning of the third week for about a total of three days. Didn't do much either, by this point I gave up on over the counter medicine also at this point my symptoms were ears being clogged, runny nose, drowsiness, feeling of fainting especially for like 5 secs after blowing my nose, headache and an unusual feeling pulsating in the back off my head at the base of my skull (right above my neck). This feeling is by far one of the worst feelings it makes my head feel heavy I don't feel like my self and it makes me feel drowsy and it doesn't allow me to concentrate and when I move around and walk or talk even for a short period of time I feel disoriented. I went to the doctor around the 3.5 week mark he told me when a cold does not go after about 2 weeks it's  most likely a sinus infection and gave me antibiotics and a cough syrup to take. I been taking the antibiotic and cough syrup for the last 3 days but it seems to not help I still feel that unusual feeling in the back off my head and everything that I mentioned associated with it. Also When I tilt my head down I feel pain on top of my head and sometimes when I close my eyes and relax I feel I can make that feeling temporarily (for few seconds) move to my sinus area. When I wake up in the morning I feel very weak and I my voice still sounds like I have a cold. I hope that feeling is gone in the morning after a goodnight's sleep but it's not. What is wrong with me? (I am a 27 year old male I don't have depression or anxiety)
Sounds like your doctor made a correct diagnosis, but the treatment doesn't always work.  You may want to give a Neilmed sinus rinse a shot, then go see an ENT for treatment, and if that doesn't work, this usually does

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like you have developed a sinus infection which has  progressed to a throat infection as well. Sinus infections cause headaches. There are tubes called 'Eustachian  tubes' which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get  blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears and the resultant sounds. This can also result in infection of the ears. Consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests and take a throat swab to determine the cause and prescribe appropriate medications. The blocked ears can be opened up by the valsalva maneuver, where air is blown into the cheeks against a closed nostrils, this sometimes helps to open up the tubes. Steam inhalations and salt water gargles can help. Take (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hello, after catching a cold in early January that led to a severe sinus infection, I went to a GP and then to an ENT after the gp's antibiotic and cough syrup didn't work. The ENT gave me clarithromycin 500mg (10 day) and methylprednisolone 4mg (6day) which has helped I believe get rid of the infection. During the treatment I also used a neti pot once in the morning for three days after reading how it helps and also because I was desperate for relief. Now after over a month and finishing all my medications about a week ago, two symptoms still seem to remain. I still have pressure like feeling in the back of my head and in front of my head that give headaches especially when I wake up in the morning and at night, The pressure in front of my head does not allow me to focus and the pressure in the back of my head seems to pulsate. The other symptom that still remained is feeling wobbly, off balance and unsteady when I walk around, talk, chew my food or even sometimes when I sit still I can feel my head rocking back and forth. I am still not myself. How do I get rid of these symptoms? When will these symptoms go away if ever? Thank You.