Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Slightly enlarged and tender parotid gland on one side?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I noticed last night while in the shower that there was a swollen lump directly behind the curve in my jaw on the right side of my face (in between the back of the jaw and almost below my ear). Initially, I thought it might be a lymphnode until I researched it and determined that it is most likely the parotid.

It is only slightly larger than the left and is tender (mildly) but only it you push on it and then a little while thereafter. You cant really even see it unless you look specifically for it. I am just not sure what is causing it and if I need to go to the doc really bc I do not have insurance.

I really have no other symptoms except that I am tasting a slighly metallic taste on the back of my tongue on that side. I do not have dry mouth and it has not gotten bigger since yesterday when I noticed it. I also have a slight "tingly" feeling in the large jaw muscle in front of the area.

Some other points of note..i do have 2 teeth back ther on the bottom that have broken off at the gumline and decayed and on occaision get abscesses, but do not have my typical abscess symptoms and when I have had large ones back thre this gland never swelled before.

One other incidental note, I recently put back in my earring in my ear on that side after three years and it was a little tight, though no signs of being infected and I have been soaking it. Also, the entire time I had it before, I never had this issue. Not sure if it is related.

Also, when I was a kid, I remember a couple of times that my sublingual glands swelled up and were painful. Went to the doc then and he never really did anything about it. Said to wait to see if it went down and if not they could check for stones. It went down and never happened again.

I am a 33 year old male, no major health issues, slightly out of shape, smoker. (Wow, that is depressing...need to do something about that, lol). I drink about 2-4 liters of water a day. Thanks for the help.

Mike
I had mine removed several years ago.  If it is the same thing, its a salivary gland that goes awry.  I thought it may because I tucked the cordless phone under than ear for hours while doing chores.  I woulldnt have had it removed, but enentually is got bigger and began to make my facial muscles twitch so I had it removed.  You can maybe qualify for free health care at a public hospital.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The swelling could be a salivary gland enlargement, namely the parotid gland or an enlarged lymph node. The duct of the parotid gland can get blocked and this could cause the symptoms with eating. It could further get inflamed causing pain. Please consult a dentist for assessment. He may even ask for blood test and an X ray.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.