Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Small Food particles stuck in back of Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Viewing 201-208 comments:
Yeah, I have the same problem with small particles stuck in my throat that I could feel it and much mucus will secreted. But I just couldn't get them (it) out until much later time like a day or two. Then I crushed it (actually it was still like a food particle) and it smelled very bad. What is the solution or cure to not have food stuck in there. Thanks.
I have the same issues as previous posts. Started years back had tonsils removed also scans, went to ent specialist etc. I was wondering if anyone has a specific or general area of where in the throat to try and work at? Does anyone have any pics or drawings where I can look to find them in my throat? I have used flash light and probed and cant seem to remove them at all. Please help.
Crush the tablets mix it with some juice and drink it that my hel to solve the issue or ask doctor to give you medicine to drink rather than take the tablets, tonsit stones are ususally at the back of the throat and you can see them like imle I h this thing and the only way to get them out was the  cough hard and if they were matiured enough it would come out like a white head or I had toush them out with my fingers yuck, the ENT and my doctor said they were food articles I know if it was food articles I could rinse them out and I dont have to suzze them out like imle, thats when I did the reasearch and came u with tonsil stones, but if you think it is the small tablets lease cursh then u mix it with some juice and swallow them.
Good Luck
heather
Nasonex works for me too. Reduces the swelling and irritation caused by me trying to cough and hack them out and allows the natural flow of mucus to move the particles out and down the throat. I sympathize with everyone who has this problem it is a miserable thing to deal with.
Hey man,

Try neilmed sinus rinse. You can purchase this at Walmart or Walgreens.
I've had a similar problem and the sinus rinse really works.  
I too suffer from this condition, I've traditionally had some sinus issues, but it only become evident about a year or so ago that some of it can affirmatively be attributed to these particles of food getting "stuck" somewhere behind my soft palate or the lower part of my sinus cavity.  I discovered at a relatively early age that I could coax out the tonsil stones with my tongue and relieve myself of those foul things, but this isn't stones, or at least not stones in the way I've had stones for decades.   My first experience with this was eating spicy pork rinds that basically explode into tiny shards of fried fat.  I had the worst sinus pain and eventual infection.  
I've tried the netti pot, gargling with salt water, H2O2, and even swabbing.  No relief other than the constant focus of removing the ultra-dense stringy mucus that forms once I get "stuck"  Eventually it seems that the mucus does its job and captures the offending particle(s) and when I clear a wad of it that has the particle in it, I experience nearly instant relief.  I would really like to find some treatment or effective measure to prevent or at least speed up the process for clearing these things.  I'm over 40, so I don't know if it's an age thing or why this only started later in life.  It's very frustrating.
Great Post.  I tried the breathing exercises and managed to clear the sinus pretty good!  

What I have found that seems to help quite a bit is taking a mouthful of clean water and then swishing it around between my teeth and in the back of my mouth/throat area while hanging my head UPSIDE DOWN!  (In a chair or touch your toes)This seems to rinse out the pocket that catches the food and my sinus and eustachen tube as well.  Gravity helps get the water where it needs to go.  You can use a saline rinse - 1 teaspoon to 1 cup clean water or just clean water.  Spit out the goo.
I have the same problem - I think it's in part caused by mild acid reflux and maybe in part by allergies, and the one way that I've found to help is (because the food stuck in my mucus is worst overnight) #1 - not eating too late and #2 - drinking a lot of water in the hours before bed. The water REALLY helps, but it needs to be at least 2 glasses for me. It washes everything down, and I get a better sleep.

I have allergies and sinus issues, so I'm not sure this will go away.

I am glad that I'm not the only one who has it! The food particles hasn't been happening more than a few months I think, but I always tend to have a lot of mucus.
Hi Everyone,

-This is an old thread, but a lot of us seem to be suffering.

-Some of us seem to have the particles stuck "above" our mouths, in the sinuses. While some seem to have it stuck "lower" in the throat. I am one of the latter. It almost feels like I should be able to get to it, but it seems to be just out of reach. I can't see anything and I tried to feel around with my finger, gagging the whole time, but can't find anything. I improvised a homemade water pick by punching a small hole in the top of a water bottle. Again, it doesn't seem to do anything and gags me as I spray water forcefully in the back of my throat.

-In the scheme of things I know it's a small thing, but all I can do is focus on this and it even gets in the way of my sleep. It is so depressing that I have even had suicidal thoughts. So, while I acknowledge this is a small thing compared to someone in real pain, imagine having sand in your eye or a pebble in your shoe that you could never get out. Small things like this can compound upon themselves and turn into something big.

--I am 37 years old and this really was never a problem with me. Of course, on occasion things like this would happen, but now it's been happening for the past few days and its really terrible. I have been sick with a strep throat for about a week, so I am sure my throat is inflamed and that is causing this. I have no medical coverage, but even if I did it seems like doctors are pretty useless here. Unless the can somehow scrape your throat clean I don't see anything they can do and that is depressing as well.

I have tried various things posted here but nothing seems to do anything.

Sorry for the rambling, I am just very upset and have no one to talk to. :(
Hello there,

I am glad you've found the Forum and now you know you are not alone and together we can find a solution or cure or something that makes it better.

I've had issues with my throat for about 4 years and knows how frustrating it is to have to live with this lump in the throat and food getting stuck!  You really described it well:  pebble in your shoe!  I'll remember that and tell my ENT when I see him next.

It seems as if Doctors are not worried to find a solutions and make a diagnoses, unless it is life-threatening or cancerous!

Just never give up!  I know it is depressing but giving up is not an option.

The object in your throat that you feel at the back is your Epiglottis and for some reason it becomes irritated and feels lumpy.  You won't achieve anything by poking or spraying water forcefully.  To fiddle with it irritates it even more and makes it worse.

Acid reflux is normally the culprit and an easy and inexpensive way to figure this out:  get yourself some OTC Gaviscon and take that in the mornings, afternoons and before bedtime and keep a food diary and see if you can identify food that aggravates or soothes it.  IF the Gaviscon helps (it can take about 2 weeks to fully kick in) then you have a diagnoses of acid reflux.

But keep on talking to us :)  all the best,
I've been suffering through something similar to what many of you have been describing and in my case, thanks to my Mom, I found that the culprit is a pharyngitis.

This has been happening to me for almost 3 weeks now, waking up with an extremely sore throat. About 4 days ago I was using some nose drops when something fell out of my mouth and half of my throat suddenly went back to normal. After I talked to my mom she immediately said it was pharyngitis.

I initially couldn't see anything in my throat but then I took a flashlight and really had to look deep in there and I found a small white dot.

So I just wanted to let people know that the symptoms for food trapped and pharyngitis are almost the same. For the last few days I really thought I had something stuck in my throat...turned out I'm sick without a fever
I think if you're careful and a pretty sure shot... you could knock it out by firing a bullet at it. Let us know how it turns out.
I have this problem too!  It just started a few months, but it is really bothersome.  It happens almost all the time when I eat, spaghetti is really bad...but I haven't noticed pills not going down.  I do have to tell you that my maternal grandfather also had this problem.  I can remember many times while we were eating he would get up and go to the bathroom and 'throw up' or hack and cough to try to get it up.  I always felt so sorry for him and now I have this same issue!  So I have to think it is hereditary to some degree.  I do still have my tonsils, but I have no idea if they are enlarged or not.  I haven't talked to my doctor, but I'm beginning to think I should.  Oh and I have a hiatal hernia, could this be a culprit?  
Hope that this is an addition to your comment on someone's post about particles of food getting stuck in back if through by nasal cavity.... What you posted/commented seems to be what I am experiencing (the tonsil stones thing), and when comes dislodged (after much strategic maneuvers to loosen it) and crushed between fingers it does have a particular unpleasant odor. This has been a problem for a while (years). Have you had it checked, and confirmed it to be tonsil stones? And you can see the white build up on the area...

Because of these problems, as the original persons' symptoms with small food and grounds nuts/seeds getting stuck sometimes when consumed I also have that problem with them getting stuck and moving into the nasal cavity. Until of course I have to try and strategically dislodge that as well.  Any advise would definitely be appreciated.
This is actually for @Marv126 for the comment from back in 2008 (comment he posted at the top of the page);
   Hope that this is an addition to your comment on DennisO's post about particles of food getting stuck in back if through by nasal cavity.... What you posted/commented seems to be what I am experiencing (the tonsil stones thing), and when comes dislodged (after much strategic maneuvers to loosen it) and crushed between fingers it does have a particular unpleasant odor. This has been a problem for a while (years). Have you had it checked, and confirmed it to be tonsil stones? And you can see the white build up on the area...

Because of these problems, as the original persons' symptoms with small food and grounds nuts/seeds getting stuck sometimes when consumed I also have that problem with them getting stuck and moving into the nasal cavity. Until of course I have to try and strategically dislodge that as well.  Any advise would definitely be appreciated. My email btw: ***@****
Hi Dennis,
Quite amazing how your original post has had so many comments over the last years...
I have a similar problem but it is located in my tonsilar area (I had my tonsils removed as a child).
I've been having throat infections for years together with bad breath, not being able to have cold drinks because of instant inflammation. I just have found out that I have some grooves and cavities in the back of my throat that get filled with food. It is amazing the amount of rotten debris that I have pulled out pressing hard with my fingers or with a plastic rod.
This morning I explained this situation to my general practitioner (who has given me antibiotics at least once a year for the last 10 years...). He told me that he never saw something similar but he has arranged me an appointment with an ENT this week. Let's see what he says...
Greetings, Daniel
If you have had nasal drip for years it deforms your soft palate making it slightly shorter causing items when you swallow to go above the palate. I had a double ear infection in 06 which permanently caused me eustation tube dysfunction and an unexplained allergy or idiopathic immune response in my sinuses. I have had nasal drip since 06 and now have a shortened palate. I cannot take any pills without chewing them. Unfortunately for me I just got a uti and went to the er last night and got some time release pills with a ton of air in them...tried to explain my situation to them and they never can understand in their thick heads. They literally think im talking about a pill swallowing anxiety...well I had to take them 4 of them and I know at least two got stuck in my sinuses. I have to take 2 every 12 hours and I just took 2 a while ago and yep they are up there to. I don't taste any foul antibiotic so im guessing they haven't dissolved. Unfortunately the only article online I have found about this issue was from a university back east years ago and all they said is yes it happens to people and if you use your finger to get up there and scoop it out that many times you can find a whole bunch of crap. Yuck. This happens to me with food as well but its usually a come and go type thing . Thank God! I have just given up to the fact that I have to chew my pills for the rest of my life. (Caused by short palate)
I had the same problem over years and recently found the cause and a solution. First I thought it was the soft palate, nasal cavity or Eustachian tube like anyone else. In my case, however, it was the ligament being so tight which is located around the neck below the ears, below the jaw bones.I think it associates with the muscle movement of the soft palate. It took me almost 2 years to find this cause. One day I found this ligament (tendon) is very tight as steel wire. In my case the tightness was on my right side tendon. First I pushed and rubbed the surface of the tendon but had no effect. I had to find a spot just besides the tendon (upper side) and push deep there until I felt the tendon was softened. It requires a certain feeling of shiatsu massage or acupressure. Also I train myself to keep my jaw open and relaxed always. I noticed I clench my teeth tight while sleeping. It seems to have caused the tight tendon. After massaging around the tendon for weeks, the food stuck problem gradually improved. I still gargle with citric acid (or it can be apple cider vinegar) every night which helps ridding some tiny particles out from my throat. Hope this applies to many who suffers the same.
did u got your ans i also have same prblm
Out of all the posts I've read today this is exactly me. I have this problem for 1 year 1/2 and today I got my finger back there and could feel all the lumps where you describe (right before I came across your post). I put mouth wash on my finger. Up until today I have been using my toothbrush and brushing back there way past the gag reflexes, this is very uncomfortable and hard to maintain.
The taste and possibly smell builds up every day if I don't do this and it makes me so paranoid. It is just so disgusting and vile. I have been to ENT and docs and they think I am crazy and that it's phantom. This makes me so mad because I pay these people to help me.
Today is the first day I really got my finger back there and felt the lumps of the intricate anatomy where food debris and bacteria must be accumulating. I still haven't come across any lumps of actual rotted food but they may be miniscule.
I will try to do what you describe with your jaw. Is there anything that can be done to the area back there to make it less curly and intricate? Surgery, laser etc? This is really getting to me. I am in my mid 30's , I had my tonsils removed 14 years ago and this problem only started 1 1/2 years ago. Does anyone know why? I had a sore throat that winter that never developed in to a cold or flu but that is all I can think of. Thanks
It started two months while normally swallowing my multi-vitamins...It felt like they went to the back of my throat and stayed there. No gagging, coughing, etc. Went to ER and they put gel into my nose cavity it went down both pipes and no more blockage. A week later same thing happened with plastic coated capsules, but fell on left side of throat or pocket. Seemed to move left to middle. I could gargle water to move them. Took days and they dissolved, but believe they were by windpipe somehow and taste crappy medication taste and lungs hurt during them dissolving. Had a endoscopic and that showed nothing. Started getting certain foods back there, such as lettuce, slices of onion sheeves, plum skin the other day (thats what it felt like because it was the last thing I ate) were it landed on left to middle.. gargled some water with head back it swallowed and its gone. This last Tuesday had a swallow test. She laced everything with barium powder and mixed it in pudding, liquid, etc. At the end she gave me (2) round hard coated pills. I told her that they might get stuck. I took the first one and it went to that location on left side and got stuck, but she said I saw it go down. The second one did go down to stomach. So doctor called after test and said everything showed normal. I told him about what happened and brushed it off. Mostly Tuesday into Wednesday I gargled soda (citric acid) to shrink the pill (bobbling from left to middle all night long), and then Wednesday afternoon, must of shrunk too much, cause it got stuck in left hole and now my hole is plugged on the left. I can feel it left-side under chin neck/throat area plugged. Started to have weird sensation on left middle and upper chest after that. Went to ER. Blood pressure was around 160 and oxygen level around 92%. They ask if that was normal. I said no. Told them about compression in chest on left middle-upper side only. They took blood numerous times, gave me IV, and then CT scan on chest (they blew-out my IV). Nurse had to put another IV in other arm and failed twice. Her boss had to do it and succeeded on first try. They sent me to ICU (old hospital, not like on TV). I could drink fluids, eat, walk, talk, just damn pill stuck on left side air pipe. I believe somehow my tongue pushes back my food or pills into the roof of my mouth and then plops around to my two airway ducts? I know I sound like a crazy person for telling you all this, and I did go to ER (different hospital) on Thursday. Told ER nurse and Doctor this story. They looked at my charts and said you had all these tests and they didn't find anything. I felt like a wacko. I said I dunno why. He ordered a CT scan of my throat and it showed nothing! I tried massaging, rubbing the left side to see if I could get it out...but there must be muscle and tissue surrounding this area cause I've tried last night and today and it hasn't moved from that spot. I did get  numbness in left outside left...came and went...same with left forearm and hand....came and went. Thingy is plugged since Wednesday....compression weird feeling middle-upper left chest..unknown...Unsure if anyone in the world has had this problem. Google has not been my friend.......I don't know what to do...... I just don't want to have a heart attack or stroke cause of this. A few hours my vision has gotten blurry in both eyes and I feel like my eyes are dilating....My stomach feels Nauseated...Getting a little pain on my left middle chest. 08-26-2014 – Seems like pills are on the left side jaw to throat. Feels like windpipe because I can feel it bobble. I don’t want it to block my other windpipe.
You know what? You may be on to something. I developed this same problem about 4 months ago. I've been to an ENT who said it was acid reflux. I've NEVER had heart burn or acid coming up. Nothing I've googled has shown anything similar to my issue until I found this post. I swear my issue started randomly after a visit to the chiropractor. He adjusted my neck because I suffer from post-car-accident neck problems, and I did not have the swallowing problem before, but after my appointment, I suddenly feel small bits of food stuck in the back of my throat! No amount of water helps. I can cough them back up, but can't get them down. First it was a grain of rice. Next, a fruit snack. No problem swallowing huge chunks of steak or other big food. Just small pieces of bread or crackers...tiny things. I have no tonsils, so it's not that. I do have post nasal drip issues, which has been mentioned in other comments, but you are the first to say anything about neck issues/tendons. The mechanisms involved in the swallowing process have to be in perfect synch...so precise and have to work in perfect combination, if anything is off  the slightest bit with them, they don't work right and we can't swallow. I'm glad to know it's not my imagination!
Wow!  I thought I was going crazy with this!  It started months ago and the initial problem seemed to be with pills.  This evening, after having a salad for dinner, I have been gargling, swallowing, drinking water, coughing, sniffing, everything to try to get this speck of food out of my throat.

Then I found a video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNDPbODWBwg

IT WORKED FOR ME!  I had to do it a few times, but it did the trick.  I am amazed.

In case the link does not work, it is called "SIMPLE FIX REMEDY - CAN'T SWALLOW FOOD STUCK IN THROAT ESOPHAGUS DYSPHAGIA NO HEALTH INSURANCE"  
I have the same problem, and the small food particle was stuck in my nasal for 1-2 week. And your method really works. Thank you very much.
Thank you for your feedback. This will help others. The Ujjayi pranayam is described in my post of November 11, 2011.
Lately for about 5 days maybe week it feels like when I eat residue or food is stuck in throat way bottom I can breathe eat drink talk just fine just it bothers slightly when I swallow .
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much for all the suggestions! I decided to try the shower waterfloss and it helped. The food particle came out after 3 days of trying to gargle with saline solution, coughing it out, massaging my throat, etc. etc. It was somewhat cumbersome as our waterfloss is connected to the shower head and, of course, water sprays all over and runs down your elbow. I pulled the curtain closed so only my head was in the shower area and directed the showerfloss water jet down my throat. It was uncomfortable, ticklish, and almost seemed painful as the water flow is pretty strong, but in a matter of under a minute of directing the jet on and off, the particle came out. I hope it will work every time. I will try purchasing a stand alone shower floss unit so that it's less cumbersome. Not sure if those will be as powerful and as helpful as this one was. Hope this helps. This issue came out of the blue for me in my 52nd year of life - never heard of it or experienced it before, and now it seems to be a regular occurrence. I am now peeling apples as little bits of apple skin makes the issue ever so much more painful. What a bizzare thing that appears to have come out of nowhere!
My question is, how can we prevent this from happening altogether?
Thank you so much for sharing. THIS is MY story too! I have huge tonsils and am 48 yrs old! I never needed them removed. This happens along with the occasional rice going up my nasal cavity as well, but I usually end up "SHOOTING" that out after a few tries of exhaling through my nose, or sucking in it goes back into my mouth, but usually exits my nose(both gross , I know, sorry).

But thanks for sharing!! I hope I won't have to see a doctor...
If it's food particles, then ACV should work. This happened to me one time that it just freaked me out. I almost took an anxiety pill as I have GERD and they prescribed it to me because I freak out bc I can't swallow or speak, it's like raw at my throat and I have to hold my chin down and breath through my nose. I wish I was dead sometimes because of how uncomfortable it can be to just breath (while having something stuck in the back of my throat). But my instinct was that if it was food, and since I have GERD I learned that ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs with "the mother" in it) is a food enzyme and to take it because it will help break up the food that is sitting in the belly-this is called digesting I beleive. Meaning it will digest the food in the belly right? So I thought I'd try taking slow swallows to digest the food in my throat or wherever it's lodged. It works better than having to stay like that all day or night (If I'm not home to take some-but now I make sure and have some with me at ALL TIMES-and honey as well, for if my throat acts up). It is strong, so rather than take it full strength, I have found that 1 tablespoon to half a cup of water (non-fluoridated) works to swallow and let it "coat" my throat and "pick up" the food particles or vitamins and swoosh it down. But If ANYONE HAS SEEN a doctor, please reply here as well. Please please. It is uncomfortable. I too have large tonsils, and I'm 48yrs old.
Can anyone suggest a Name for this. So we can make it more public.
Ok.. I've just ordered a WaterPik for Rm500. Will update result in 2 days
Roy7376 how is the waterpik useful in this
I have tried the water pik...but it doesn't have enough pressure in the stream and the little water tank doesn't hold enough water...i usually have to swallow the water every few seconds in order not to gag...
Hello everyone

I am a medical doctor myself and have been facing this problem for the past 3-4 years. The food particles getting lodged behind the anterior pillar of my right tonsil and I have to manually remove it myself to get rid of the irritation &  halitosis ( bad breath) associated with it.

I have visited the ENT and likewise he could not diagnose it.

I have looked into the medical literature & could not find anything significant.

What I could find out on self examination is that the anterior pillar of the tonsil on my right side was kind of collapsed and sticking to the tonsillar bed compared to the opposite side, and this served as a facilitated the lodgement of food particles in the tonsillar crypts.

All this started, from what I can remember after my wisdom tooth extraction on the same side.( minor surgical procedure as it had not erupted)

Damage to the nerves in this area and also maybe a small change in the anatomical architecture after the tooth extraction could have predisposed to this condition.

Tonsillectomy could be one option. I cannot think of any other permanent solution at present.

Gargling, Mouth washes and saline irrigation all provide temporary relief.

I haven't tested those breathing exercises yet.

Will update if I come across anything.

Regards to all.
I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.
I've had this happen for a year. I've had tension headaches, dizziness, increased heart rate, etc etc. because of it. I went to the ENT doctor. She offered surgery to expand my nose and all that stuff, saying it couldn't be food going up my nose that was causing the problem. I had a modified barium swallow and they couldn't replicate the food going up. My soft palate was shutting off my nasal passage when I swallowed. So what was it??? I had no medical problems that caused it. When my doctor couldn't figure out a solution, I knew I had to find some way to fix my swallowing by myself somehow. That's when I found out the solution. I needed to dip my chin lower a little bit when I swallow. Before, as I was chewing (mostly on rice), small particles would "fall" back into my throat area and slide into my nose since my chin was raised high. Why was it raised high? Several months ago I thought it would be a good idea not to look at the ground, because I thought others would interpret it as weakness/anxiety (silly, I know). So for all that time I lifted my chin up when I ate. Now to stop food going up my nose when chewing, I keep it level or lower my chin down.

That's pretty much it. For those who are going crazy and seem to not have any medical problems yet still have food going up, try lowering your chin a bit. That will stop any new food from going in. As for the old food already in your nose, take some boiled water, add salt, then quickly snort it down. You have to do rapid short bursts. You can't snort down the food like you blow your nose. It has to be a short, quick burst. If you have ever eaten snail, you know what to do. Sucking it hard and for a long time won't do anything. The key is short bursts, while limiting the air flow (pinch one nose close and the other partially shut) so that the pressure can increase. Similar to how when you put your finger in a hose it shoots out faster. I wish everyone luck!
I am just going to comment that I posted to this site in 2009 as I was trying to find out what the heck was causing these food particles to get stuck and what I could do about it. I especially hate the bad breath that it causes and I too have gargled with EVERYTHING, been to the doctor several times, had the lovely barium sampler ( they found nothing), a tooth removed that I thought might be the cause and had my deviated septum surgically repaired... NOTHING worked! I have bad breath and I am a teacher.. I always have gum, mints or at least coffee when working with students in close contact.. feel bad for them that they smell my breath.
I am going to the ENT again in 2 weeks as my throat just recently became real sore after something I was eating scraped against the side back there and it hurt. It has not recovered and I  think it is probably infected in there. I will post my results.
I got to say the best thing I have found to get the eustachian tube white stringy thing out is that I use a massage tool and put/shove it onto the front part of my ear canal and it sort of massages the inner ear.. ( feels great!) and works to get the stringy thing and some bonus particles out. I also find that the hanging my head upside down will dislodge some too.
Good luck to you all, and I will keep you posted about my appt.
Im a 22 year old female and I have been getting food particles stuck at the back of my throat (right lower region) for the past week. It all started a week ago when I drank coconut water, and the flesh got sucked to the back of my throat. Ever since, It feels like food residue always gets lodged into a pocket around that area. And from what I've learned from my searches online, the 'pocket' might be pyriform fossa? Sometimes I also get a sensation of fine food residue lingering around my throat upon swallowing. Whatever this is, it has been driving me up the walls. Im afraid to eat now and I have lost weight in just a week. And if it would be of any significance at all, my wisdom tooth had grown out prior to this. Can it be dysphagia (swallowing difficulty)?

Found some swallowing exercises that might help:  https://medicalspeechpathology.wordpress.com/swallowing/dysphagia-exercises/

-Try swallowing a sip of water with your chin down to your chest (Hope this helps!)
Im a 22 year old female and I have been getting food particles stuck at the back of my throat (right lower region) for the past week. It all started a week ago when I drank coconut water, and the flesh got sucked to the back of my throat. Ever since, It feels like food residue always gets lodged into a pocket around that area. And from what I've learned from my searches online, the 'pocket' might be pyriform fossa? Whatever that is, it has been driving me up the walls. Im afraid to eat now and I have lost weight. I really hope those who might have found a permanent cure would shed some light to this problem. And if it would be of any significance at all, my wisdom tooth had grown out prior to this.
Hi Beatrice,

Has it helped you in dislodging the stuck food particle or does it merely expedites the breaking down of the particle through its enzymes? Im about to try this hope it helps.
Hi everyone.I have the same problem.Sometimes little parts of food stuck in the back of my throat and when I touch my throat I can feel it.Even by moving my throat muscles I can hear a little rattling noise there.A couple of years ago when I was living in Iran the same problem happened and a neighbour told me that she knew someone who can remove the stuck food by special method.she would first massage the specific part of the throat and then blow in the nostrils and it would come out of the mouth.I don't live in Iran anymore so I can't use that method anymore.I'm afraid of eating.I can't enjoy eating at all because the fear of chocking is always with me:((
Avatar n tn
I have same problem however I get flashlight and dislodge it with a q tip or I use the water pic  food particles especially when I eat pancakes.  Glad I'mm not the only me with this problem.
I'mm 22 years old female , last year I choke on a small piece of preserved lemon. I saw an ENT and he said my throat is fine. Later on I have developed a choking phobia and it's getting over my life. I only eat soups, yogurt mashed potatoes and ice cream. Recently , I've been feeling that food is not stuck down my throat but somewhere in the left side of my throat . When I ate an ice cream this evening I found in my mucus some small bread pieces and I freaked out. I hear a click sound when I swallow and I'm even afraid of liquids now. I am pretty confused and don't know what to do. BTW I'm suffering from a severe anxiety.
Hello I'm 22 years old and I'm suffering from choking phobia for a year after a choking incident. It's getting over my life and recently I started feeling food stuck behind my palates :(. Have you been treated yet ?
I actually figured this one out I have had the same problem where I was waking up with food particles stuck somewhere in my throat. It would be there every time I woke up and was very annoying. So one day I sat down for half an hour and tried to figure it out and finally did. Just vibrating my uvula really hard seemed to do the trick. I'm a beatboxer so I would do the sometimes cause it makes a cool vibration sound but also apparently removes lodged food particles.
Viewing 201-208 comments: