EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
Small Food particles stuck in back of Throat
Avatar_m_tn
by DennisO, Mar 04, 2008
I have had a problem for years.. I get mall particles of food that gets stuck in the back of my throat somewhere around the nasal passage area.  These are small particle of hard food like a part of a peanut shards after being chewed up.. or really small pills like 10mg lipitor (I don't know how many of the liptors have literally dissolved back there instead of my stomach)  Almost every night I have something stuck there it causes my sinus to swell in the during sleep and can sometimes get painful if it does not get dislodge.

Sometimes I can dislodge it by rattle my sinus on that side. (“snuffing in” which  drive my wife crazy)

I have seen a ENT and they find nothing. They did a Barium Swallow and gave be a "horse" pill.  It showed nothing…. But the problem is the small stuff.

This seems to be out of the ordinary and the Doctors don't have a clue. I even asked a pharmacist and he said he had never heard of people having problems with little pills only big pills..

Help.. if you have a similar problem and found someone that could help you I would appreciate the details..
Related Discussions
Member Comments (168)
Avatar_m_tn
by marv126, Mar 04, 2008
if you crush these small particles in bettween your fingers and then smell it.If it smells really bad they are tonsile stones. that all i can offer as it sounds like what i have. hope it helps  
Avatar_m_tn
by marv126, Mar 04, 2008
i think the only cure is tonsile removel but i dont think they will do it for just tonsile stones, have a look on the web for the stones some web sites provide picture mabey you can match them up have fun. :D

Avatar_m_tn
by DennisO, Mar 04, 2008
Hi Mary,
I don't think it is tonsile stone.. I never do get the particle back into my mouth.. They eventually go down after several hours or maybe even a day or so.
The things that get stuck are really  small food particles or small pills just ingested.

If I had to guess I would say somehow when I swallow I am pushing the particles up into the soft tisssue as a part of the swallowing process and bits stay there.  The area that seems to be affected is the same tissue that may be causing "brain Freeze" when eating icecream.. It is around there.  But thanks for your thoughts.
Avatar_m_tn
by DennisO, Mar 04, 2008
Hi Mary,
I don't think it is tonsile stone.. I never do get the particle back into my mouth.. They eventually go down after several hours or maybe even a day or so.
The things that get stuck are really  small food particles or small pills just ingested.

If I had to guess I would say somehow when I swallow I am pushing the particles up into the soft tisssue as a part of the swallowing process and bits stay there.  The area that seems to be affected is the same tissue that may be causing "brain Freeze" when eating icecream.. It is around there.  But thanks for your thoughts.
Avatar_m_tn
by DennisO, Mar 04, 2008
Hi Marv,
I don't think it is tonsile stone.. I never do get the particle back into my mouth.. They eventually go down after several hours or maybe even a day or so.
The things that get stuck are really  small food particles or small pills just ingested.

If I had to guess I would say somehow when I swallow I am pushing the particles up into the soft tisssue as a part of the swallowing process and bits stay there.  The area that seems to be affected is the same tissue that may be causing "brain Freeze" when eating icecream.. It is around there.  But thanks for your thoughts.
Avatar_m_tn
by DennisO, Mar 04, 2008
Hi Mary,
I don't think it is tonsile stone.. I never do get the particle back into my mouth.. They eventually go down after several hours or maybe even a day or so.
The things that get stuck are really  small food particles or small pills just ingested.

If I had to guess I would say somehow when I swallow I am pushing the particles up into the soft tisssue as a part of the swallowing process and bits stay there.  The area that seems to be affected is the same tissue that may be causing "brain Freeze" when eating icecream.. It is around there.  But thanks for your thoughts.
Avatar_m_tn
by hava, Mar 04, 2008
These exercises may help your problem.Do it for at least 3 months.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times
Avatar_m_tn
by DennisO, Mar 06, 2008
Thanks.. Sounds interesting.. I will give it a try.
Avatar_n_tn
by saydierose, Jul 21, 2008
I had something stuck in my throat for the second time tonight. The first time it was Pizza and I thought maybe I scratched my throat and was mistaken but tonight it happened again with rice. It was so uncomfortable I was considering going to the urgent care center. I gulped water, ate bread, made myself puke and I finally came to the conclusion that it was trapped somewhere between behind my tonsils and my nasal cavity. I got the flashlight out but I couldn't find a good object to stick back there to poke around. I was hoping to find some chopsticks but the best I could find was the end of a spoon, a paper clip and a Q-tip with the cotton pulled off. I didn't even try the paper clip but the other two objects just made me gag. I even tried treading a thin rubber strand of elastic thread that is intended for bead projects and about the size of a spagetti noodle through my nose but I still couldn't reach it and it was too wierd. After a few hours of spazzing out I started dripping water through my nose every few minutes and swallowing continuously and the food slowly disolved. I am going to see my doctor about this. I have always had oversized tonsils so I think that may have something to do with it. Every time I see a new doctor he/she is surprised I never needed them removed. I hope this helps someone and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's had this problem.