Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Small Food particles stuck in back of Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I have had a problem for years.. I get mall particles of food that gets stuck in the back of my throat somewhere around the nasal passage area.  These are small particle of hard food like a part of a peanut shards after being chewed up.. or really small pills like 10mg lipitor (I don't know how many of the liptors have literally dissolved back there instead of my stomach)  Almost every night I have something stuck there it causes my sinus to swell in the during sleep and can sometimes get painful if it does not get dislodge.

Sometimes I can dislodge it by rattle my sinus on that side. (“snuffing in” which  drive my wife crazy)

I have seen a ENT and they find nothing. They did a Barium Swallow and gave be a "horse" pill.  It showed nothing…. But the problem is the small stuff.

This seems to be out of the ordinary and the Doctors don't have a clue. I even asked a pharmacist and he said he had never heard of people having problems with little pills only big pills..

Help.. if you have a similar problem and found someone that could help you I would appreciate the details..
Tags: throat
if you crush these small particles in bettween your fingers and then smell it.If it smells really bad they are tonsile stones. that all i can offer as it sounds like what i have. hope it helps  
i think the only cure is tonsile removel (removal) but i dont think they will do it for just tonsile stones, have a look on the web for the stones some web sites provide picture mabey you can match them up have fun. :D

Hi Mary,
I don't think it is tonsile stone.. I never do get the particle back into my mouth.. They eventually go down after several hours or maybe even a day or so.
The things that get stuck are really  small food particles or small pills just ingested.

If I had to guess I would say somehow when I swallow I am pushing the particles up into the soft tisssue as a part of the swallowing process and bits stay there.  The area that seems to be affected is the same tissue that may be causing "brain Freeze" when eating icecream.. It is around there.  But thanks for your thoughts.
Hi Mary,

Hi Marv,

Hi Mary,

These exercises may help your problem.Do it for at least 3 months.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times
Thanks.. Sounds interesting.. I will give it a try.
I had something stuck in my throat for the second time tonight. The first time it was Pizza and I thought maybe I scratched my throat and was mistaken but tonight it happened again with rice. It was so uncomfortable I was considering going to the urgent care center. I gulped water, ate bread, made myself puke and I finally came to the conclusion that it was trapped somewhere between behind my tonsils and my nasal cavity. I got the flashlight out but I couldn't find a good object to stick back there to poke around. I was hoping to find some chopsticks but the best I could find was the end of a spoon, a paper clip and a Q-tip with the cotton pulled off. I didn't even try the paper clip but the other two objects just made me gag. I even tried treading a thin rubber strand of elastic thread that is intended for bead projects and about the size of a spagetti noodle through my nose but I still couldn't reach it and it was too wierd. After a few hours of spazzing out I started dripping water through my nose every few minutes and swallowing continuously and the food slowly disolved. I am going to see my doctor about this. I have always had oversized tonsils so I think that may have something to do with it. Every time I see a new doctor he/she is surprised I never needed them removed. I hope this helps someone and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's had this problem.
Hi Dennis,

I have the same problem - rice, bits of corn or peanuts although not with pills. So let me know what the doctor recommended you.

In the meantime this might help - I do it every morning and every evening since I also have sinus problem sometimes. Nasal Irrigation - look this up online, passing saline solution from one nostril to the other or even better to the mouth. Helps unclog the sinuses and if there is any food particles they are also moving.
Hi Dennis,

I couldn't be happier the moment I found your post!!

I have been troubled by the same problem for almost a year now and had failed every single time when trying to explain it to other people. No one has EVER heard of such thing and I was given an impression that this is far too insignificant to consult a doctor. To tell you the truth, I couldn't bring myself to explain my situation to another person if s/he is going to think that I’m really strange!

Just last night I had such pain in the back of throat+nasal passage I didn't even sleep! I knew what was causing the pain - little rotten food bits that were stuck there! I've tried everything to prevent it get up there in the first place - swallow food slowly and cautiously, washed food down with loads of water....nothing really work.

The worse thing is that when something got stuck and I fail to remove it, then the amount would accumulated and than my breath would become totally unbearable -- because it is rotting away!!! (Sorry, it is a bit disgusting!)

So this morning I spent almost one and a half hour to 'snuffing in' then 'cough' it out - out it came bright orange phlegm with blood and 6 little food particles. All the rotten bits are tiny like half or quarter of a rice and some pieces have already turned dark reddish in colour!

I'm deeply troubled by this and would like to know if anything could prevent it or to help remove them.

I have just 'normal' size tonsils.

C
Do the exercises I suggested on Mar 04, 2008, and this will help with your problem.
Come back to report your progress.
I can't believe there is actually someone else with my problem. Appx 4 years ago I started having trouble eating and swallowing. I went to the ER several times and finally wound up at an ENT office. I tried to explain the symptoms as food going up my nose when I ate, because to me that's how it felt. The ENT thought I was crazy. I went for a barium swallow which showed nothing unusual. I also have trouble swallowing my birth control pills (which I have to take daily) and they are just tiny things. They too feel like they are going up my nose and staying there. Sometimes it takes hours to get it down. Sorry I don't have and explaination or cure. I have just learned to live with it. I do tend to get chocked on food easily. I had an endoscopy, but my esophogus didn't need stretching. I wish I could find a Dr to help. I have so many throat problems, it gets depressing at times.
Still no relief.  It has just become a constant daily problem I am living with.  Hopefully someone having the same problem will find the answer.
;-)

DennisO
You sound like you have the same problem as I do.  About 2 (maybe 3 now) years ago, I swallowed some hot salsa that ended up going my nose (it was the most horrible,burning feeling ever).  It seems like ever since then everytime I eat (anything) I have to be careful to swallow carefully and even then food will "push" it's way up into my nose.  I've been to an ENT (twice) who scoped it (twice) and said there was thick mucus in the back of my nasal cavity and that it was irritated.  I always feel like I have pressure in the back of my throat and actually have to "snort" (I know that sounds disgusting) very aggressively to finally dislodge some thick mucus so that the back of my upper throat/nasal passage feels better--sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  When the pressure caused by the mucus is there (or the food) it makes it so I feel like I can't even swallow saliva and my throat always feels sore.  It happens almost daily (where food goes into my nose).  I have GERD too but that doesn't seem to be the issue here, it happens on swallowing and not that the food comes back up.  The other symptom that happened after the salsa incident was that I lost my sense of smell (about 6 months or so after that).......does all that sound like your problem and is there anyone out there that has any answers?  I'm not a complainer, I hate going to the doctor and after going to the ENT twice I feel like he just didn't help (just the scope--twice--and said don't eat at night--but never could tell me why food refluxes into my nose immediately when I swallow). 
I actually had 3 ‘end of spaghetti’ like tiny pieces came out yesterday and I took a photo of it. I’m determine to show the photo to my GP.
Again it has been ‘resting’ in the back of my nasal/throat passage for days and inflamed the area. It came out with bright orangey phlegm.

Only if I can get it dislodge sooner I wouldn’t have any problem with it. The slowly-rotten food particles cause throat inflammation and bad breath. I’ve tried the Nasal Irrigation - it eased the inflamed area but it didn’t wash the particles out. I’ve tried to pass the saline solution from nostril to nostril and nostril to back of throat but none prevail. L

And yes, sdlidstone, it is a daily problem to me too. I’m not good at rattling my sinus and my fingers are too short!!!

My appointment is on coming Thursday, I’ll let you know what my GP is going to say.

C.
I am not an ENT, but I found a solution that might work for you sufferers.

This involves you being able to ignore your gag reflex a bit.

1. Pour some minty fresh Listermint into a small cup, just enough that you can dip your right index finger (if you are right handed) into it. This disinfects (somewhat, assuming you also washed your hands first) and lubricates your finger.

2. Where you feel the rice/food is stuck, put your finger there at the very back and top of your throat (it should be a soft palate, not the hard palate of your mouth... so this is WAY in the back). You should be able to feel the stuck food there with your finger. Press fingertip on soft palate in back of throat, where the food is felt underneath, and then move fingertip (with some pressure) along the roof of mouth to try to manouevre the stuck food bit(s) TOWARDS the closest tonsil so that it can exit back out and be visible.

3. It's best not to do this just after your meal as you may throw back up some of your meal. It's better to wait a little bit after your meal so that you don't end up barfing your dinner up. You'll have to try to ignore your gag reflex in order for this to be successful.

I can actually feel the stuck food bits through the soft palate of my throat/nose area at the very back. And this seems to work some of the time to force the bits to get dislodged back out, with less pain than "snuffing" or "coughing" it out.

Does this make sense to anyone? I hope this helps you folks. It's a very mechanical way, and really, hopefully the most obvious way, to get those stuck food bits out of that area. It's so obvious, that no ENT or medical doctor seems to think of this. I'm an engineer turned nursing student, so go figure.

Olympic Grade Rice-Eater
I have also had the same problems for about three weeks now and it's getting really annoying and depressing. One evening after taking my birth control, it felt as if the pill was stuck in my throat. All night I tried over and over to get it just about all of the ways you guys have explained. Finally after three days of this I went to the ER (because it started to bother me in my sleep) They said to have seen nothing and recommend I see a specialist. The next week as I saw the specialist the symptoms seem to have gone away. The Dr. said it looked at if I had a small cut in my throat because all he saw was redness and irritation. He also mentioned my tonsils were very large and wanted to have me tested for sleep apnia (apnea). He also explained that acid reflux could be the cause. So he said the scratch would heal on it's own. However I also have large tonsils that catch food particles. I can stick a q-tip in their, it's literally a small pouch filled with food. I'm wondering if there are other small pouches down my throat that are holding particles and small pills. (if that's possible) When this condition seems to bother me and start up again it's always after I take my birth control. It feels like the pill is just floating up top and makes me gag. It has made me throw up a few times also. I have also suffered from bad sinus's for the past few weeks as well. I'm wondering if tonsil removal is the answer. Im sure ill be going to the DR again for a second opinion because I am way to young to have to just learn to live with this.
I'm glad I found a site with people that share similar problems. About 2-3 weeks back I was eating a bag of chips, where I burped up a little of what I was eating and it felt like some of the chips got stuck in between where my sinus cavity meets the back of my throat. At the time there was a lot of pressure back there, and I kept swallowing in hopes to alleviate the problem. It worked until now.

Now it feels like I have something stuck back there for the past 2-3 days. No pain really, just a very uncomfortable feeling. I'm going to attempt a sinus irrigation in hopes that this may help fix my problem. But as Pamen described, it is very annoying and starting to be depressing. It doesn't feel all that uncomfortable when I just wake up, but as the day gradually progresses I start to feel it more and more.

I suffer from a slight case of anxiety and this issue has become the bane of my existence. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

DGCA
As a side note, just like Dennis, I don't believe it is tonsile stones. Its pretty much the exact same problem he has.

DGCA
I had a simular problem but not as often as you. I use a spray bottle filled with water and turned it to the fine point spray setting and it would knock them off after a few direct hits.
I developed tonsil stones inside my tonsils in my early 30's, and had my tonsils removed after discovering that my tonsils were simply gorged with them. Several years passed with no problems regarding tonsil stones or bad breath.

I am now in my late 30's and have discovered the same bad breath reminiscent of tonsil stones even though I no longer have my tonsils. After some searching, I realized that small food particles have been somehow getting stuck somewhere in the back of my throat after I swallow. I did some throat-tensing exercises and began to push the food particles back up, and lo and behold I discovered what was basically a tonsil stone....same consistency and horrible smell resulting from small food particles and bacteria.

So, yes...you can develop what is technically a tonsil stone even without your tonsils....all it takes are small food particles stuck somewhere in your mouth and a little time.

My concern now is to figure out where exactly these food particles are getting caught on the way down after I swallow....I can feel them, and it feels as though the food particles are getting lodged in my throat just below the back of my tongue somewhere. Brushing, rinsing and gargling several times a day has not helped to dislodge them and remove them. It is vexing me how they can remain lodged in my throat even when swallowing other food or drink instead of getting dislodged and swallowed with the rest of the food.

I looked at the anatomy of the throat, and can't figure out where these food particles are getting caught and forming into tonsil stones....unless a pocket has formed back there somehow to catch the food particles. Does anyone have an idea where these food particles can possibly be getting trapped back there?
Like you, I always like to question things and try to find the answer. This problem has been bothering me for a long long time. It not only affects my swallowing, but also produces excessive think mucus in my back throat, which in return affects my breathing act. I guess there are a few things that can cause this problem. Firstly, we may not chew the food well enough to be swallowed. I tried a couple of times to chew food until it became paste like. I didn't have particles stuck back there. Secondly, while swallowing food, our muscle doesn't work orchestrally and is not able to push down all particle like food. Lastly we may have thick mucus accumulated in back throat and food particles easily get stuck on thick mucus. Maybe there is a pocket in back throat, but unless doctor can diagnose it, I can't tell. I suggest we do some swallow exercises to strengthen swallowing muscle to swallow thick mucus and/or food particles, but I don't know how.
Thanks for the response. When I am doing the throat-tensing exercises and am pushing the particles back up, I notice the majority of the time, the only thing being pushed up is thick mucous that lines the back of my throat, possibly resulting from post nasal drip. But I also assume the mucous lining the throat is natural in order to aid swallowing and prevent food from actually getting stuck and choking you. So it's possible the food particles are becoming lodged in the thick mucous lining my throat, but I am really concerned that some type of pocket may have formed in my throat just below my tongue that is catching the food particles and along with mucous, saliva and bacteria is now forming tonsil stones, since I have discovered pin-head sized tonsil stones in the mucous before when I pushed it up out my throat. Only occasionally will I feel actually food particles though, the majority of the time there are no food particles or tonsil stones in the mucous, but my saliva will have the same smell and taste as a tonsil stone, so I have to assume that a tonsil stone is in there somewhere and I can't locate it, and nothing I do dislodges it. I use Therabreath and Biotene products several times a day, as well as a water oral irrigator pik, and nothing has helped the tonsil stones in my throat. I am at wits end.
After reading some of the other posts, I think that along with using Therabreath and Biotene products several times a day, as well as a water oral irrigator pik, that a nasal/sinus irrigation may be in order to clear out my sinus cavity in the chance that food particles have somehow become lodged in the mucous in the lower end of my sinus cavity and are forming the tonsil stones and creating the smell/taste in my saliva. I have noticed what I consider to be an excessive amount of mucous/post nasal drip when I swallow, so this may be part of the current problem I have. I will have fresh breath after using the water pik to floss with, and using Therabreath and Biotene....but within 30 minutes after using them my saliva will almost immediately smell/taste like a tonsil stones, so there has to be a collection point for food and bacteria somewhere in my throat area that is creating the taste and smell in my saliva.
Hi, I swallowed a large pill about 14 hours ago.  It still feels like it is lodged in my throat by my esoughagous.  I've tried drinking lots of water, eating bread, I ate a banna, soup, soda pop, and apple sauce.  I still feel like it's in there.  How long can a large pill stay in your throat?  Should it have disolved by now, I'm still feeling pressure there.  I'm wondering if I need to see the docter soon.
Well, if it's a pill it's size should reduce itself normally over time to allow it to slide down your throat with help from the natural mucous lubrication in your throat. If it was a capsule, the outer coating would have probably dissolved and the contents would have went down your throat. If something is already stuck in your throat, I wouldn't suggest trying to force it down by swallowing other solids that could just get stuck behind it and create more of a problem. The most logical solution would be to drink hot fluids such as broth to dissolve it enough to where it dislodges itself. As you take a sip of broth, swallow naturally and eventually the pill should go down. Even after the pill goes down, you may feel some discomfort in your throat for a while because the pill could have irritated the tissue it was pushing against, but this should only be temporary.

Pharmacists advise to simply cut large pills in half in the future and swallow the halves one at a time. There are pill cutters you can get at a pharmacy, or you can do it with a normal kitchen knife....but the pill cutter is safer for people prone to kitchen cuts.
Thank you for your detailed description of your problem. That sounds like the sympton I have. Is your problem only the smell and taste of your saliva? My problem is the feeling of stuck particles everytime I am trying to swallow my saliva. If I don't feel it when I swallow my saliva, the problem would have been gone. I often can cough or expel the particles after a lot of trials. My thinking is that once I have small particles stuck in my throat, my mucus scecretion increases because my body treats it as a foreign objects. I still have tonsils in my mouth and not sure if I get them removed, the problem would be resolved. I do cough out gel like mucus in the morning. what is the real problem I have? Mucus or pocket or tonsils or swallow muscule? I feel I am so hopeless in fighting this problem.
I specifically had my tonsils removed years ago because they were infected with tonsil stones, so I no longer get actual tonsil stones. When I had my tonsils, the tonsil stones were large enough by the time they erupted from my tonsils that that alone was a major annoyance for me, in addition to how they made my breath smell and my saliva taste. After I had my tonsils removed, I never experienced bad breath or bad tasting saliva for years.

What I am experiencing now is simply small food particles becoming stuck either in the back of my throat behind my tongue or perhaps in the lower portion of my nasal passage/sinus cavity. I haven't experienced any physical discomfort, as these particles are very small, and when I noticed bad breath and bad-tasting saliva, I tensed my throat and started swallowing and dislodged what appeared to be a very small tonsil stone. It was just a very small food particle that had become stuck and then started to decay from the natural bacteria in the mouth, which is actually all a tonsil stone is, but tonsil stones just form easier in the tonsils where the food and bacteria can become conveniently trapped. But even if you have your tonsils removed like I did, food debris can definitely combine with bacteria and your natural mucous secretion to form decayed food particles that look and smell just like tonsil stones and will indeed affect the way your breath and saliva smells.

The food particles getting stuck don't actually bother me, as they are so small that they I don't actually feel them, but because of the bad breath and bad-smelling saliva I know they must be there, and I confirmed it when I pushed the small tonsil stone out.

I think you're right that your mucous secretion increases when the food particles become stuck, because since I started getting food particles stuck, I have definitely noticed increased mucous secretion. But my major concern is why these food particles suddenly started getting stuck in the first place, as they never did before and I am now in my late 30's.

But rest assured that removal of your tonsils would solve a large part of your problem if your tonsils are collecting food debris that are decaying into tonsil stones. But as in my case, very small food particles can still randomly become trapped in your throat somewhere. But this is no where near a big of a problem as when I actually had my tonsils and they were erupted with tonsil stones. So getting my tonsils removed was a huge benefit for me, and would be for anyone with tonsil stones.

Removing your tonsils just removes a large pocket for food debris to collect in and decay, but that doesn't mean that the same process cannot occur somewhere else, as in my case in my throat.

I use Therabreath and Biotene products, and they will visibly remove bacteria from your mouth and help restore the natural balance in your mouth and freshen your breath much longer than other products, but (and this is a big but) within an hour or so, my saliva interacting with the decaying food debris that are stuck in my throat causes my breath and saliva to smell bad all over again. So without being able to keep my throat/nasal passage/sinus passage clear of food debris, I simply cannot keep my breath and saliva fresh.

Once I definitively locate exactly where the food debris are collecting (because right now I can't tell for sure), I will probably be able to develop a strategy for regularly flushing that area out to prevent the food debris from collecting. I definitely believe my mucous secretion has increased because my body is trying to flush these stuck food debris out naturally, but because the debris are collecting in a spot that the mucous cannot easily flush out, the increased mucous production just continues indefinitely.

I'll figure something out as I do more research, as this is a problem that I am committed to resolving, as I want to be confident I can interact with people with having to worry about questionable breath. At some point I may have to consult an ENT specialist, but that will only be after I have exhausted all other options, because I have lost a lot of faith in the medical profession over the years due to general incidents of incompetence that I have observed.
To specifically address your concerns, based on my personal experience with the same symptoms and problems, you having your tonsils will provide a place for small food particles to combine with bacteria, saliva and mucous to form tonsil stones, which will cause horrible breath and bad-tasting saliva even if you yourself can't smell it. And the longer you keep your tonsils, the tonsil stones will begin to slowly expand your tonsil pockets, will will in turn allow larger tonsil stones to form. So this becomes a bad cycle, where the tonsil stones make the tonsil pockets bigger over time, which lets larger tonsil stones form. It's a bad pattern. The only true fix for this is the removal of the tonsils.

Your mucous secretion probably is increasing in a natural response to food particles stuck in your throat. But even if you didn't actually feel the particles in your mouth when you tried to swallow, I doubt the problem would be gone, because I can very rarely feel the particles when they get stuck in my throat, but I know they are there because I coughed one up and notice the definite difference in my breath and saliva. So be wary that even though you can't feel the particles that they can still be there. Use your breath and smell/taste of your saliva as a general indication of whether you have decaying food debris lodged somewhere in your throat.

Personally, the bad breath and bad-tasting saliva is much more a concern for me than whether or not I can feel the debris stuck in my throat. If I could actually feel them I could remove them, but mine are so small that I very rarely feel them until they are large enough that they dislodge themselves naturally when I swallow, but I always know they are there because of how my saliva tastes and smells. Your saliva will naturally circulate around and over the decaying food debris and will pick up the smell and taste of the decaying food debris, so if your saliva tastes and smell bad, chances are that you have a significant amount of decaying food debris stuck somewhere.

Just check your adenoids (adenoids). Debris can also form in the adenoids (adenoids) and contribute to bad breath just like the tonsils. See your ENT about the adenoids (adenoids).
Drastic brought up a good point. I forgot to mention, that when I got my tonsils removed, the surgeon removed the adenoid as well as a "package deal". So as Drastic said, you may want to consult your ENT about that if you consider getting the tonsils removed. Better to have everything done at once and be done with it.
we ate some noodles and now they are stuck in the nose throat. we need to get it out because noodles dont dissolve. should we snort some chicken broth?
Gargle with warm salt water daily & also the saline warm water solution for your sinuses as an irrigation.
Also a good natural solution is to est tiny bits of fresh parsley.

***NEVER *** place anything in the throat area to try to dislodge particles that you could accidentally drop & aspirate into the airway or  swallow into the esophagus ! then you will have a medical emergency !

deafsinger
Hi there,
I'm writing from Turkey/Asia. I read all the thread and I feel better (unfotunately) to see other people having the same problem with me. I'm suffering this terrible situation more than 8 years (I'm 31 now). Besides the general definitions (like stucking of small food particles and bad smell of breath) I will try to explain some more observations I had for me. In the first place, my food stucking is happening only through the right side of my throat. I guess in my case they stuck through the adenoid. I'm almost sure that this is due to a physiological or muscle disorder. I mean somehow my swallowing process cannot get all the food down so some small particles are leaking into an unwanted place through the eustachian tube opening (adenoids (adenoids) area). Second, It is no matter what I have eaten, every kind of food stucks almost during every meal. The important thing is that, the removal time and the degree of discomfort is higher with the kind of food you mentioned: peanuts, rice, mince meat etc. Such food cannot dissolve easily and I feel them strongly during the day. Soften type food is dissolved and dissappeared or easily removed from the throat in a few hours when i drink water etc.

Another interesting symptom about my case is the dysfunctioning of right eustachian tube if so much food is stuck in my throat. I couldn't figure out exact relation between them but when i struggle and remove the food somehow (usually i'm not able to) my eustachian tube becomes normal. My complaint about the e tube is that i feel my breath in my ear. I think that my right e tube becomes steadily open state. This is very very frustrating experience and concentration to anything is almost impossible when it happens.

I went to ENT Dr e few times but none of them could analyze the symptoms and give any treatment or advise.

Some more observations and advices:
As far as I could be able to remove the food throughout the day I don't suffer any pain from these situations. But if a strictly stucking case happens and if I have several meals after and after it. A few days later I start to feel some pain (and sometimes the e tube problems).

Two good practices that I have discovered are: (I don't know how to explain easily :) Try to remove the food with a powerful -cough like- action very early in the morning (before the first swallow when you wake up) It realy works. Because while you are sleeping foods become in a different position especially if you snore etc. Every swallow during the day results a bit more stucking. The second practice is that; swallow carefully (during the meal especialy). Put your head down (as looking down your foot) while swallowing.

Other practices: Do not gobble much. Eat only your regular meals and between them only do drink.

And please try to find a Doc or a group of researcher who is making research on this subject. I'm very wellcome any other opinions or advices.

Thank you..

Some interesting explanation exist here:
http://www.*****************/cardiology/forums/backup/topic-15044.html

The censorred address above is:
doctorslounge  com
I am so glad to know that I am not the ONLY one with this issue!!! I have 4 "pouches" in the back of my throat behind my tonsils. It's almost a daily routine now to either use my finger to "milk" the food out or use a dental scraper for the really tough stuff. Everything I get out of there smells aweful so I can only imagine the bacteria it horbours. I thought I was the only one till I decided to Google it and found this page.

To those who only have this issue with ONE "food catch" as my Doctor called it, try having 4!

BTW, these did not show up until I had my 4 severely impacted wisdom teeth removed, but the pouches are not anywhere NEAR where the teeth were. Oddness.

Tip: Peanut Butter on Wonderbread will pack those suckers so tight they are painful!  
Much of the same here.  I thought I had a sinus infection, then a polyp.  The left side of my sinuses where it meets my throat feels swollen and painful.  I also began to notice that it felt as if I still had particles of food stuck in my throat.  I never put both together until now.  Perhaps rotting particles are causing my discomfort.  I have had some relief with nasonex.  It seems to open up passages and break down blockage.  Some of you may want to try that until we find a real solution.  I'll continue to post as I hope most of you will.
I also thought I was alone after having this problem since I was a kid.  Same story with the doctor... he never heard of such a thing and could find nothing.  I had a barium swallow with no result and stopped short of being scoped.  My personal feeling after all these years is that it's not a pocket (an idea that I held for some time) but excess sticky or thick mucous coming from the sinuses and accumulating at the back of the throat.  I'll someday get the nerve to try those saline nasal rinses but not yet
Last night I tried some Benadryl and although I woke up feeling groggy, I felt much better and experienced no food/throat issues for the first time in a while.  I assume there is some swelling in my throat or esophagus and the bendaryl has eased it.  I also took some pepcid as some claim this is caused by reflux.  I will continue to post any progress.  I have found the neti pot does very little.  
Those "saline rinses" are no big deal at all.  You can buy them at Target or Rite Aid and after a few uses, it won't feel uncomfortable at all.  As I previously posted it didn't do much for me but it's worth a shot.
http://www.google.com/search?q=pollen-food+syndrome&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Something to think about.  I've been eating tons of veggies recently.
Having this prob for first time now....due to vomiting, some been salad got into the space above the soft palate (naso-sophagus?). Hurt when I swallow and can't get it out. However, I just tried humming like a bee as described above for the Bhramri Pranayam excercise and after about 30 seconds at least some of it fell down my throat! It's working, but there is still some there so will continue with the excercise.  Thanks!
I am also glad to know I'm not the only one out there.  I have these pouches on both sides of my throat which trap food which then rots in there.  One of them is actually a huge area hidden behind two flaps of skin, and its nearly impossible to get in there to clean out the area.  I find I can get most of the gunk out after it has built up for a while, because it seems to all get melded together into a bigger bunch.  I dig around with q-tips until I start getting blood, and then I have to stop for a few days.  

Someone mentioned using a spray bottle, and I think that's what I'm trying next.

K
From: Joe

I am on a regular vitamin regimen. Among them I take Omega 3 as well as Evening Primrose Oil capsules which are both the same size. I am not absolutely certain whether one of those or a smaller capsule is what has stuck in the back of my throat. I am unable to reach that far with my finger. I have tried several times swallowing a small lump of bread and drank water with it and also copious amounts of water afterwards but I can still feel the obstruction in the back of my throat. Has anyone got any ideas to take care of this problem. I would certainly appreciate any worthwhile suggestions.
In addition to the exercises I described on March 4th, 2008, do the following as well, which will help with the throat problems.Drink warm water.

Ujjayi pranayam
First exhale fully.
During inhalation your glottis should remain partially closed. Glottis is the opening between the vocal chords.While inhaling, produce a sound as if you are sobbing, by partially closing the glottis.(This is reverse of clearing your throat, where your are exhaling).
The face muscles should not be contracted during inhalation. Abdominal muscles should be well controlled. Inhale smoothly and uniformly.
After deep inhalation, retain your breath as long as possible. While retaining breath do Jalandhara bandh (lock your chin, touch your chin with your chest).Initially, try to retain breath for 8 to 10 seconds. Gradually increase the time of retention of breath.
After retaining breath, first open the Jalandhar bandh(chin up) and then, close right nostril and exhale slowly through left nostril. The glottis should all along remain partially closed.This is one set of ujjayi.
Do this for 5 to 20 times everyday.
Ive dealt with this problem for seemingly several years now. I have particularly large tonsils, and when i did have med insurance, the ENTs i talked to did not recommend removal of my tonsils and/or adenoids (adenoids). Yet i cant help but think that since my tonsils are so large, small food particles are being shoved up above my soft palate as i swallow normally while eating.  Im very sure this happens, because recently, after waking in the morning, i will have a horrible taste in the back of my throat(upper).  I dislodged some small "pus-balls", that were very similar to the "tonsil-stones" that many have mentioned.  
In my case, Ive found that my nasal cavity becomes fairly dry after eating a meal, and at times, i will feel stuffed up. Ive found that nasal irrigation (neti pot) seems to help with any congested feeling I may develop. I use my neti pot every morning, usually immediately after gargling with listerine (ive been meaning to try Therabreath, but I'm on a student's budget, so I'll have to wait). I suppose a hydrogen peroxide solution would probably have similar effects. Again, I rinse often as others do, yet bad taste/smell seems to return after about 30 mins to an hour.
So Ive been thinking about going the campus health center for help with this issue. I thought that maybe some anti-bios might make a difference. Has anyone tried this?
I suppose this may be overkill, as I feel pretty healthy, my appetite is still ungodly large, and I dont even experience a runny nose from this(quite the opposite).  
I think I may try to flush my soft palate down the back of my throat with a squeeze bottle that will give me a bit more pressure than just gravity/neti pot combo.
Keep posting!  :)
I have the same condition and something that's kindof surprising has really been the only thing to work.  I tried the nose breathing exercises and they really helped, but I've also found spending a lot of time inverted (with head down) breathing through my nose will circulate saliva in places it doesn't normally make it because my tonsils are so large.  Also, gravity pulls the tonsil up into the little pocket forcing out any food particles.  So I do this exercise, wherein I start standing up, breathing through my nose deeply in my throat (like darth vader).  Then I bend over to touch my toes.  Then I come back up, and repeat that a few times.  Then after about five times I stay down but step my arms forward and feet back, breathing the whole time.  Repeat the three steps for about o10 minutes. The continual upside down, then right side up circulates the saliva around and my tonsils actually appear shrunken after I do about an 1/2 hour of this.  I try to do it at least once a week, but lately I've started doing it every morning for 10 minutes and it had tended to shrink my tonsils down so I'm less suseptible to getting the food caught during the day.  Also, I avoid eating popcorn and rice, which really seems to make it worse.  Also I observe myself very carefully when eating--how am I breathing, am I chewing, am I holding my neck and head in alignment with my body when I swallow?  I think that spending some time inverted each day really is the key.  When you think about how humans have not always walked upright, but rather on all fours (babies crawl, of course), it's probably quite logical that some areas of the body are still "tuned" to that orientation.  Anyway, works for me, when I remember to do it. I've started marking on a calendar when I do it.  It's amazing to have no more horrible rot breath, so I really should do this more religiously.
Thank you so much....what a relief, I found a forum with considerate and helpful information.  I will be purchasing an irrigation kit, and start the breathing exercises.  I started suffering from this about 1 year ago.  I agree, it's very "depressing"
I have the same thing. The bad breath is the worst. I have tried many things. I have been to the doctor3 different times and I always mention it when I go in for something different. They never have any help. They act like it is my imagination or something. I have also asked the dentist for help. No luck. No explanation from anyone. I had a tooth extracted, thought that might be it.-NOT. Had sinus surgury for deviated septum , thought that would do it. -NOT. I was glad to find this sight to learn that I am not the only one. Good to know. I think I will copy this to take with me for the next visit. I am going to go back to the doctor,because I hardly can eat anything now that does not get partially stuck. I have a pill stuck there right now, and I get my allergy pill stuck there every morning before work. I can taste the pill dissolving and bits going down the back of my throat. It will probably take 4 hours or so to get finished-if I'm lucky. Ive had things stuck for days. GROSS! Oh the smell of my breath! All the oral hygiene and listerine does not work. Ive tried everything I know. Please Please Please if anyone has any help post it. I will let you know what the doc says.
I've had this problem for the last two months. It is depressing. I'm getting nasal aches and headaches.

I get little food particles caught somewhere between my throat and nasal passage. 1/2 to one inch above back of my throat. I feel the particles after I eat almost every time. It started with nuts, chips and cookies. Hard crumbly stuff.

I recently started to bite on a tennis ball and put a vacuum in my mouth in an effort to suck out the stuff. It seems to work but unsure as this is still causing nasal pressure and headaches.

Gil
I've had this problem for about 1/2 year.. Last week I mentioned it  to my dentist. He examined my throat. He said that as you get older the esophagus usually narrows.  He also mentioned that he has a golfing friend who has this problem. His ENT has a ring device which is temporarily installed which enlarges the esophagus.  This procedure must usually be repeated in about another 3 years.  He mentioned a potential complication ( which I forget what he called it), and that in my case he probably wouldn't advise me to do it yet.
This is all so fascinating. I have been suffering from this for years and I just didn't know what it was (I guess I still don't). However, last night I nearly choked - full gagging - until a large pill finally came up. However, it feels like a small piece is still lodged in my right tonsil area. I really haven't noticed bad breath over the years, but I have had this happen to me a number of times just not quite as serious as last night. My husband was on the verge of dialing 911 for assistance. The prohibitory logic was that I could still talk; I was just afraid that at any moment it would lodge in my windpipe and literally choke me. Today, I am in a terrible amount of pain from the incident. Is it just irritation? Typically it only happens with smaller pills, like birth control or sometimes apple pieces (and other similar foods).  I had the barium swallow test a few years back and it came back normal. I was given strengthening exercises, which I did for quite some time. I don't think it significantly helped, but may have a little. After last night's incident, I was ready to contact an ENT for help this morning, but it sounds like very few people have had success with ENTs. I plan to continue checking back to see if anyone has a cure. I think I will try the Neti pot and the exercises mentioned earlier (2008) in the chain. Heck - I may even try turning upside down like someone else mentioned! Can't hurt, right?

-In good company
So how is it that all of us, me included, suffer from what the Doctors all say doesnt exist?

I'm waiting for someone to find a Doctor who can come up with something better than "I dont see anything wrong, you probably just need to chew more carefully".

Looking forward to your updates...
Has anyone had their thyroid checked?   I have hypothyroid/hasimoto's, occasionally have tonsil stones, a swollen feeeling in my neck and have trouble swallowing quite a bit.  Just a thought.
I like everyone on this forum, have had this problem for over 20 years.
I stay away from cottage cheese and dairy as that tends to give me a flare up-this means that gradually over a day, my throat starts to kill when I swallow and my ear starts to feel like it is burning inside(the part that is connected to the throat)
I have been to an ENT and he said that YES, it is food particles. He wanted me to gargle with an equal amount of Hydrogren peroxide and water- to CLOSE up the pockets. (i also pick the buggers out and really once I can get them out, my throat is better within the hour usually!!!!!!) and yes, there is some blood.
I have picked out what I thought was massive only to get MORE....
How can something so big and disgusting be in our mouths... The only way to get relief is to get them OUT. I usually get it on my left side.I usual tape two Qtips together and dig it out, gagging and retching and making a noise that my husband now knows is the - Oh you have those things in your throat) I happen to have it Right now on the right side and I cannot dislodge!!. When I swallow my throat kills. I cannot get this massive thing out. I have a feeling this one is the size of a small country. And when I was reading above, I saw POPCORN- guess what I ate the other night and its not somethig eat very often-popcorn!!
My ENT said that I should NOT pick it out and gargling with the HP and water will Seal it up.... However, I feel that you have to REMOVE the darn bits first.
I was trying the breathing thing that a few people said worked... I need further clairification... please!!!
I think we all need to have those pockets sewn up!
The first time I went online to find out what the heck this was, I googled disgusting puss balls in my throat... and I found a similar forum to this!! imagine that..
Someone needs to go to medical school quick and specialize in this!!!!!!    (sorry for any spelling errors, I am too worked up to spell check!)
Well it just so happens that I did go to medical school and specialized in this!

You are describing tonsilloliths (I'm guessing you probably already figured this out).  There is no data (that I am aware of) that these crypts in the tonsils that collect the debris can be "sealed up" by using any kind of gargle.  Certainly the rinse may help to clean them out (doubtful though), but that's about it.  They cannot be sewed closed either.

You basically have 2 options with this problem:  #1 get yourself a handy-dandy tool (you have to be creative) and remove them as you are able or #2 have your tonsils removed.

Hope that helps!
I have had this problem for a few years now. With me, it's only nuts. I used to be able to enjoy different kinds of nuts, but started noticing unbearable bad breath about a week later. Eventually, I can cough the little offending piece out, but usually only after suffering the bad breath and foul tasting saliva for about a week. Snicker bars are the worse because the caramel acts like glue. My only recourse was to avoid eating any food with nuts, but sometimes the nuts are mixed into the food and is unavoidable or unnoticed.

That inverting suggestion sounds interesting. I might give that a try since I'm currently suffering the condition from eating a bear claw that had some walnuts on top.
Try swallowing pills with yogurt or applesauce.  It makes them go down; I haven't had a pill stick since I have been doing this.  When food gets stuck, it is uncomfortable, and distressing, but it tends to dislodge withing 24 to 48 hrs.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith
check it out!
Funny you should mention the thyroid. Earlier today I had the sensation that a pill I took (capsule) got lodged somewhere in the back of the throat. After about 20 minutes it slid out. This is the first time that's happened and it just so happens that my neck feels swollen. It didn't feel like it went into my nasal passage. It felt like it was behind that somewhere. I took another pill a while ago and I have the same feeling, but hasn't come out. I think the swelling of the thyroid narrowed my esophagus and the swallowing pushed the pill up maybe through the Eustachian tube (connects to the ear). Is that even possible?
It's 2 am and I can't sleep because of the feeling that I have a pill stuck somewhere in my throat. Do you think that something can get lodged in the Eustachian tube?  It doesn't feel like it's my tonsils or the nasal passage. Is that possible?
I know a lady who blows it out, where do you live?
I have the same problem with food in my soft palat. I am wondering what links us together. I have hypothyroidism. I also have crowded teeth and an overbite. Anyone else?
Same problem here. Food gets stuck above my soft palate/behind my nose (usually things like rice, sunflower seed shells, popcorn...). I have horrible allergies and often suffer from post-nasal drip. I had this type of thing happen a few times a year when I was a child, and now that I am almost 30, it happens at least once a month. In fact, I have had something lodged for at least 2 days, and today it is KILLING me. I have been drinking lots of water, warm coffee, tried "pushing" it out (has worked before) and "snorting" it out (also has worked before by either moving particle down my throat or out my nose), to no avail. I have complained to doctors, who say they don't know what is wrong. I tell friends/family, and they look at me like I am crazy.

I purchased a neti pot while on my lunch break today, hoping it will dislodge whatever is in there (and, in the meantime, help my allergies too!). *crosses fingers*
i have the same issues being discussed here. i have the tonsilloliths and i also get food (small particles) stuck above my throat, in the sinus area. If i cant get the food out, it usually causes a month-long sinus infection, sore throat episode that drives me crazy. i have been to a few doctors and they all say i am allergic to something. sorry, they are wrong. I say that because i have cleared out rice, broccoli, carrot, cake, you name it. i eat those all the time and sometimes it doesnt get stuck or cause problems.
  i have found that if i get the tonsilloliths that i can use a dental pic and remove a few of them. i have found many more lodged in my throat by applying pressure to the swollen areas with my finger and pushing the tonsilloliths out. after removing a large amount of them, i had no tonsillolith issues for about a year. they are starting to creep back out recently. I have no ideas other than that, but it seems that pushing them out once a year works for me.
  As for the food getting lodged in my sinus, i have had really good luck with flushing the particles out with a neti pot. i believe the key to to get to it ASAP! I warm one cup of water, add a 1/2 teaspoon of table salt, 1/4 tsp of baking soda and a teaspoon of "alkalol". i found the alkalol at walmart in the phamacy area. My problem is usually in my left sinus and flushing that a few times while blowing out of that nostril usually dislodges the particle. Sometimes snorting air into that nostril dislodges it too. sometimes it doesn't and the suffering is about 2-4 days away.
  I have had this problem since getting a nasty sinus infection that i feel that i caught on an airline flight. My theory is that when i got the infection, it caused a pocket or fold to form in my sinus/throat area. Another idea is that my soft tissue in the back of my throat has slackened and allows food to get past there when it didnt before. the slackening may be due to me trying to push my tongue up into the upper areas of my throat/sinus to dislodge food.
dont let the doctors push you around and waste your money. they dont know about this and they cant do anything for you. Let me guess, they said " you should take claratin"?
  If anyone has any ideas, please post it here. so far good information that i have read.
wow, i've been having the same prob. for like 2 months now -- irritated throat, cough, sinuses--it thought it might be just sore throat.  I was getting the cheezy bits/stones coming up too.  now if i eat anything like oats/granola or peanuts, i get this horrible feeling like something is stuck in the back of my throat.  I finally put my finger in there and pulled out an oat bit today--but deeper down i still have the feeling something is stuck --like between my wind pipe and throat--how to get that out?
I, too, have this problem.  It was just once or twice a year at first, and now, it is almost daily.  I have been able to get the particles out by running my finger along the inside of my cheek and they have come out so far.  But, now, I am noticing they are getting down in my throat behind my tongue and behind where I can actually see them.  I can feel pockets in my throat when I can get my finger to go that far.  I am concerned that it might be cancer or some other throat disease.  I plan to seek a doctor, but hope I can find one that knows something about this.  I also noticed that over the last few months, I hear liquid in my ears - almost sounds like my heartbeat, but I guess it is like adugan.  This is very depressing to think I might have to learn to live with this.  I have fibromyalgia and have had to learn to live with that, but at least there is medication I can take to help ease the pain from that.  Anyway, it is good to know there are others out there and I hope to find some answers.  If i do, I will certainly share them.
Ive had this problem since i was little, I HATED eating rice because of this but I didn't realise i personally was having something strange happen.

Generally it happens from eating smaller food, or things like carrots that are still solid little chunks when you swallow them. often times when it happens though i have no idea what caused it. This past sat i woke up with swollen glands, a sore neck, and pressure as well as a dry scratchy feeling in the back of my nasal cavity.

I occasinally use a thing called a netti pot (looks almost like the genies lamp in alladin) filled with a solution of natural sea salt**other salt can have chemicals that might do harm (a little salt in the water stops that painful sensation you get in the pool, its really not all that uncomfortable but the first time it was a bit strange) and luke warm water to rinse out my sinuses, Ive been rinsing each morning and every night with this thing and around tuesday i started to get a sore throat as well.

Today my throat was feeling worse so i decided to take some oil of oregano (great for colds) and two seconds later i blow my nose and low and behold what i can only describe as a "blob" of greeny-orange mucus about the size if a dime came out. now i can breath far more easily through my right nostril. still feels like i have something stuck up there though so ill continue to rinse.

for me i think this is somehow related to a dairy allergy, when i drink milk i get alot more mucus and im thinking maybe this is causing food to get stuck.

personally ive never seen an ent for this but from what ive read and ppl ive talked to i dont think they like to do much thinking. everyone ive heard about tries one or two things and gives up acting like they dont believe you have a real problem.

I think conscious eating is the only way to avoid this, make sure you chew everything very well (at least 20 times per bite) and ive heard of people who chew each bite 100 times. for me thats a little much though. and be aware while you eat (dont stuff your face in front of the tv)

also i think i have a deviated septum maybe this is part of the problem?
Having same problem. I am so happy to find out I am not the only one dealing with this crap. I have been suffering from this for over 6 months now. It started out as a cold who would not go away and a lot of post nasal drip. I have been going to the ENT and spent like $500 in between visits and CAT scan and he can't find anything that's wrong with me and it is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!! I think what's going on is that my throat and nose got so irritated by the prolongued "cold" that I had, that the mucus created further infection and now I have little cavities in the fold of the throat. Now everytime I eat I can feel little pieces getting stuck in there and I have that feeling constantly. At one point I "coughed up" a huge piece of thick and hard mucous (mixed with a little blood) after eating a lot of cheese (which I guesss created even more mucous). I instantly felt better afterwards but still feeling that some of it is still there. Now I am afraid to eat anything that could get stuck again. This morning I "coughed up" nasty old pieces of food (I think tonsil stones) but still have the feeling in there. I could live with that sensation of food stuck in the throat if at least it would not give me bad breath!!!! Now I think the only solution would be to convince my ENT to "clean up" my throat and eat only LIQUIDS for like a month until the throat heals up and closes up on the little cavities. That's my theory but I don't think I can survive with only liquids for that long.... Well, until I see my ENT again, I'll keep you posted (I don't really want to go back though because I feel like he doesn't really care or believe me.... and I am losing $$ in the process) Until then, chew your food as much as you can, that's my advice!
Small particles of food have become lodged in various cavities in my throat and tonsils for about a year now, driving me crazy. I Googled "throat irrigation" and found a product that works with a WaterPik -- ordered it, got the WaterPik today, used it in the back of my throat, and voila! 8 or 10 lodged food particles were dislodged, and I feel like a new person! Haven't even received the throat irrigation attachment, but let me tell you, I think I've found the answer to this problem. Has anyone else tried this?
I have this too! Sometimes the food particles make their way up into my sinuses, and I have to blow my nose really hard to try and get them out...But they pop out of my nose eventually. As for the ones that are down in my throat, those stay for days. I have never dug one out before, but after reading this I am going to go try no with some q-tips. Every time I swallow they seem to get more lodged in there!
I have had this issue as well for some time. I also have seasonal alleriges, and so my tonsils are already enlarged from those. Just recently,  I had a food particle somewhere between my tongue and my left tonsil, the size of my fingernail. I tried for many days to sweep it out with a toothbrush, and have had no success, having gagged myself many times. I was getting very depressed, because earlier I had tried a squirt bottle, and even gargling. Finally, today I used a small soft headed GUM toothbrush to pull back the tissue covering my left tonsil doing my best to control my gag reflex, and the food particle came lose.
Its nice to know that there are others who struggle with this. I feel the same way about not getting my tonsils removed, and glad to know that from some others that it can still happen even if you don't have tonsils. I will definitely try chewing my food up better, and eaing slower, and hopefully this will help. THanks for everyone posts!
I am soo glad I found this post! I have had this same problem for years! A few times a week I feel like I get food lodged above my soft palette. In 2001 it was my now nemesis "The Dorito". I thought I was literally choking, so my mother called the EMS and they said they couldnt see anything and that I was fine. Days later I was still feeling like it was stuck somewhere up there. So I went to the ER and told them of my problem. They did Xrays and found nothing. After a couple more days, the feeling went away, but it wasnt long before it happened again. Again I went to the ER and they did a barium swallow, which again showed nothing. The feeling of food being stuck somewhere in my throat became a daily occurence, so I just stopped eating all together. Within a few months I dropped soo much weight I was skin and bones. I was finally sent to a ENT who swore up and down that my problem eating was due to enlarges tonsils. So I had them removed. The problem was not solved! That surgery was done in 2002 and I continue to have the same problem. I never found another person who had this issue as I do, so it was great to find you all. I looked over the posts, even the older ones, and am going to try some of the suggesions.
I have been struggling with tonsil stones since I was a child. I thought I was the only one at the time as no one ever confirmed my problem. In recent times I have tried everything. The only thing that seems to help is the following. I definitely recommend you try these steps.
1) Nasal rinse both nostrils with warm water, a tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda. Rinse each nostril until fluid runs out the other nostril and you can feel a bit in the back of your throat. I usually use a tea cup and do it over the sink pressing one nostril shut and while pouring the fluid, kind of sipping it with the other nostril until it I barely feel it reach the other side, then I let go of the other nostril. Do this procedure several times.
2) Gargle: Mix 1/3 cup warm water, 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide. Gargle with this mixture, sticking your tongue out as far as possible while you gargle so it reaches far back into your throat and spit out thoroughly. Be sure not to throw your head back too far as to cause strain to your neck. Sometimes I stand up against the bathroom wall while doing this. Gargle until the mixture is finished. You will find a great deal of phlegm is removed by doing this procedure.
3) Blow your nose very well. You will find in the next fifteen to twenty minutes, a great deal of mucus will be expelled from your nasal passages.

Most of the time, tonsil stones will be removed with phlegm.
Hope this helps!
UrnotAlown
I have this exact same thing happening! Started with birth control pills and got more annoying as Advil and other drugs got stuck, now food! My Eustachian tube seems blocked with the object (I believe chicken) at times. I saw an ENT and he said if it bothers you we will take out the tonsils. Ugh I am 30 this is gonna suck. I am wondering if anyone else has fibromyalgia? I was also thinking this could be related to a bad back?
I get this all the time its was my singing teacher that knew what it was, I got diagnosed with acid reflux which is a lump in your thought. Also you can get tension in your throat without realising and it causes your muscles to go into spasam therefor which make you feel like you have a lump.

Hope this helps xx
I had similar symptom, feeling of getting small particles of food stuck in the throat, ear pain sometime, teary eyes and sneezing.  I consulted a gastroenterologist and he found out I have hiatal hernia, a condition wherein a small portion of the stomach protrudes through an opening out to the chest, when it happens along with it comes hydrochloric acid which irritates the lining of the esophagus up to the throat,  as a body's defense it increases mucous production to coat the lining and protect it from ulceration - when this happens symptoms similar to allergic reaction occurs, as a result  the thick mucous in the throat traps small particles of food in it.  The solution was to eliminate or reduce the production of HCL by prescribing me Prevacid and reinforcement of the lining coating by giving me Sucralfate.  Also, some lifestyle change was recommended such as reducing oily and spicy food in my diet, avoid lying down immediately  after a meal, small frequent meal instead of a large one and raising the head of bed.  Hope this helps
I believe it is hereditary too.  My grandma had this for years...dad has to excuse himself from the table at "least" once a month to gag up whatever is stuck in his throat & choking him.  Corn is the biggest culprit for me, but tonight I got choked on roast beef (arby's...thinly sliced), probably 1/4" square...ended up coming thru my nose to get rid of it.  

Grandma complained about it for years...they pretty much gave the explanation that everyone here had...a pocked that food gets stuck in.  Dad was set to have an upper GI to investigate it...they gave him phlebitis in his arm when they tried to give him an IV & he told them where they could stick the IV & never had the GI done.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

For me, it is definitely related to allergies, and only happens if I'm in an allergy phase, with runny/blocked nose etc. Think this is also linked to others' suggestion that the food gets caught in mucus at the back of the throat.

Interesting that so many posters have also had tonsil stones. Again, this is an allergy thing for me, which I only get if I eat certain dairy products. I used it get this often, but now hardly ever, as I avoid dairy products such as cream cheese, sour cream etc.

So I'm betting my bottom dollar that most of you out there, like me, also have allergies that cause excess mucus/blocked nose etc....?
I have had this problem for many years.  I even had to have sinus surgery because all the ploblem it caused.  I found what works the best is to gargle with a mix of saline water and about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon if apple cider viniger to dislodge both food and mucus.  You can also put a very small amount of vinigar in your saline rinse too.  It really helps!
my daughter has had this problem for a few years.   The ent couldn't figure it out,  but she does have some acid reflux problems.   She recently started using a Q tip to get food out of the "pockets".  Works for her.   I will tell her of some of your solutions and le you guys know if it works for her (18 yrs old)   Thanks you for this,  like so many of you,  it is helpful to know that it is really a problem that can be addressed, at least for a little while.  
Have had this problem 2 times in 2 years. It was yeast in the throat with the same symptoms. It's caused by antibiotics and steroid inhalers for lung or asthma problems.
Treatment is 5 days on Diflucan RX, one a day.
Probiotics are great to take to replace the good bacteria that is removed by these meds.
Good Luck.
Nellie
Nellie40 is exactly right.  I'm a 43 year old who has been regularly using inhaled corticosteroids for asthma.  I started to take notice of this distraction about a year and a half after I started using Advair 500 in 2005.  I've switched to Simbacort 160/4.5 about 6 months ago, and although I find it more effective in treating my asthma than the former, I've been experiencing more frequent aspirating, as well as getting the pesky bit of food stuck just on that flap separating the back of the throat from the nasal cavity proper.  I've only found this thread whilst checking on-line for any solutions for getting the tiny piece of ground turkey presently there.  I feel that the best immediate remedy, honestly...is to just chew your food slower and more thoroughly whilst NOT inhaling!  I do the opposite of all three.  I won't go as far as to say that I eat like a pig, But as an elite level Masters class road cyclist, after a hard ride or a race, I'm so ravenous that I'll eat anything that won't eat me first. So pacing oneself during a meal is our best option since to those of us on an inhaled steroid routine aren't really afforded the option to stop them.  
I have what is refered to as a tongue thrust - your tongue gets forced forward when swallowing.  to determine of you have it, relax close your mouth and slowly swallow.  If you tongous is involunterily forced forward to the roof of your mouth ands the back or the upper front teeth then you likely have toung thrust.  The reason I mention tongue thrust is because when I swallow food I also frequently get small particulates of food forced up onto my soft palete.  I am convinced that the tongue thrust during the swallowing of the food promotes the inappropriate wayward placement of the partcicles.

Anyone else expeeince both tongue thrust and food particles in the nasal cavity?
I was drinking some fresh squeezed grapefruit juice two days ago and didn't realize there was a seed it it. Well, about 3 minutes after I took the last sip, I felt the seed in my "throat" (I use this term loosely because it's hard to describe exactly where it was). Every time I would try to swallow it, it seemed to be going the opposite direction. Now it's lodged somewhere near the top of my throat / in my sinuses / in my windpipe. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is. I've had this once before from eating carrots. But I was able to kinda snort through my nose and it dislodged it. It came through some weird passageway and ended up in my mouth. I've looked at tons of pictures of the anatomy of the throat / trachea and I can't figure out the path it would have taken. Anyway, so I went to an ENT yesterday. He got his scope out, went in through my nose, down the back of my sinuses and basically into my mouth. He said he didn't see it! And now, a day later, it's definitely still there. It seems absurd that doctors don't know exactly where to look when a patient comes in with these symptoms. I mean, it's obviously a problem. Anyway, I'm going to give it a couple days, try a few things on my own to get it out. But if I'm unsuccessful after that, I'm gonna go back to the doctor and tell him to explore every possible corner to GET THE DAMN THING OUT.
To create some activity around the nose and throat, do this pranayam for 20 minutes, twice a day. The extra air movement around the area will help.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
January 20 ,2011
I too have had this problem for years. The worst symptoms are bad breath and the feeling that something is stuck in the back of the throat. I saw the very tail end of embarassing bodies last night, that showed someone with a similar problem, but with huge tonsils, they had them removed.
To deal with my problem, i poke them out with a cotton bud. I don't actually think there is any permanent long term solution. :(
I just skimmed most of the postings and thought I'd build a list (please add/clarify if you can) on all suggestions to try (I just had my first episode today--I have a cold, don't have tonsils and had just taken a small vitamin A & D combo. Here is a list that I have going so far--for options to try/possible remedies:
-Nasonex
-Spray bottle-to dislodge using the power of spray in back of throat
-Irrigation Kit
-Therabreath: to help with bad breath (I think)
-Netipot: to create a flow of nasal fluid that might dislodge food particles (please clarify if anyone know a good place to buy and how to use)
-Gargle: equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water
-Gargle: mix of saline water with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
-WaterPik: to force water under flap where food gets caught
-Difican RX- 1 a day with probiotics
-Ujjayi pranayam First exhale fully. During inhalation your glottis should remain partially closed. Glottis is the opening between the vocal chords.While inhaling, produce a sound as if you are sobbing, by partially closing the glottis.(This is reverse of clearing your throat, where your are exhaling). The face muscles should not be contracted during inhalation. Abdominal muscles should be well controlled. Inhale smoothly and uniformly. After deep inhalation, retain your breath as long as possible. While retaining breath do Jalandhara bandh (lock your chin, touch your chin with your chest).Initially, try to retain breath for 8 to 10 seconds. Gradually increase the time of retention of breath. After retaining breath, first open the Jalandhar bandh(chin up) and then, close right nostril and exhale slowly through left nostril. The glottis should all along remain partially closed.This is one set of ujjayi. Do this for 5 to 20 times everyday.
-1) Nasal rinse both nostrils with warm water, a tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda. Rinse each nostril until fluid runs out the other nostril and you can feel a bit in the back of your throat. I usually use a tea cup and do it over the sink pressing one nostril shut and while pouring the fluid, kind of sipping it with the other nostril until it I barely feel it reach the other side, then I let go of the other nostril. Do this procedure several times. 2) Gargle: Mix 1/3 cup warm water, 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide. Gargle with this mixture, sticking your tongue out as far as possible while you gargle so it reaches far back into your throat and spit out thoroughly. Be sure not to throw your head back too far as to cause strain to your neck. Sometimes I stand up against the bathroom wall while doing this. Gargle until the mixture is finished. You will find a great deal of phlegm is removed by doing this procedure. 3) Blow your nose very well. You will find in the next fifteen to twenty minutes, a great deal of mucus will be expelled from your nasal passages. Most of the time, tonsil stones will be removed with phlegm. Hope this helps! UrnotAlown
-To create some activity around the nose and throat, do this pranayam for 20 minutes, twice a day. The extra air movement around the area will help. Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute. Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently. J

Think that is most of what I read--please feel free to add to this list as a sort of one-stop read.

Good luck--I'll be trying most of the above starting tomorrow!
I have tonsile stone problem too. very embarrassing problem as it affects the breath. Some colleagues have to cover their noses when I talk :(

I bought the spray bottle for plant, change the spray head into the "one fine line" spray mode.
With the help of a mirror, point the "line" of water onto the back of the throat near the tonsil area.

After a few attempt of jet spray, there should be a small reservoir of water in the "inner throat", quickly spit out the water (careful, do not get chocked) and the tonsile stones may be dislodged with the spit.

Most effective to attempt in the morning, 1st thing to do after waking up, before brushing, when the tonsile stone is relatively drier, not so stickily stubborn to dislodge.

Btw, I have switched to vegetarian diet, seems to help on the breath.
i have same problem, small particles of food get stuck on the back of my throat and after some days it starts smelling like hell.

every one runs away from me, even my girlfriend.
it smells horribly disgusting, no matter how many times i brush my teeth per day, but the smell of the rotten stuck food just comes out from my nose while exhaling.

i am not sure why it happens but i have found i get this problem when i do these:

1. once in the gym i was tired and laid down on bench and ate my protein bar, after that i got that problem.

2. while i smoke too much i get the same problem.
3. while i do not wash my teeth after dinner at night and just go to bed,
and snore in sleeping time, the chunks get stuck there and i get the problem.

4. gargling my throat while small chunks of food still around my teeth,
they get stuck on the back my throat.

these things are not tonsil stones, they are different.

fortunately sniffing and coughing hard gets them out.
hope this helps.

samimy
I have the same problem! I thought I was dying or had some sort of bacterial infection but one day I sneezed really hard and a huge chunk of gross white tonsil stones came out.

This is also an improbable solution for most, but when I jump on a trampoline for a few minutes, the tonsil stones also come flying out.
And I might be using wrong terminology...by tonsil stones I meant congealed pieces of food that get stuck in the back of my throat next to my uvula.
I am a 22 year old female who has had this problem for about 6 months straight.  It all started when I ate a turkey and cheese sandwich. It felt like something got caught in my nasal cavity/throat. I started freaking out at first, continued to keep gagging, and tried even throwing up, but nothing helped. I calmed down and eventually the feeling went away. I didn't experience this problem again until about 2 weeks later. I was eating lunch with my mom and had the same feeling. From this point on, it has been non-stop. I went to the doctor and he thought it was originally acid reflux. I tried prevacid, etc, and nothing improved. By this point, I was losing weight daily because I was afraid to eat. I then got a scope down on my esophagus and they took a few biopsies. I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis. I started flovent and singulair daily, but am not cured. I still feel like food is getting caught in my lower sinus passage and it's hard to swallow. The doctor has scheduled me for a CT scan, but looking at the previous comments, it will show nothing. My husband insists I get it done, just to be sure. I am also avoiding dairy, as this seems to make it worse. I hope someone finds an answer for us soon! It has become extremely depressing and I find myself skipping out on dinners/lunches with people to avoid this problem. I am going to try some of these remedies and pray for some relief.
I usually get rice or carrots stuck in my soft pallete. Usually it takes a lot of horking and snorting to get it out.
However, the last 2 days I feel like i have an infection there. I have been able to "clear" it a few times; receiving chunks of blood & hardened mucus. I can't blow my nose because it is stuffed up to far 'inside' or too far back for anything to come out of my nose! my lymphnodes are swollen up & I look like a bullfrog.
I don't have my tonsils or adnoids (they were removed 21 yrs ago; so it's not a tonsil or tonsil stone issue).
I think I have cavities in my sinus cavities and they fill up & harden with mucus.
Thanks to all who have posted; it's a little comforting to know we don't suffer alone.
I have the same problem and sometimes the nasal cavity itches because of the particles trapped inside. I wake often during the night struggling to breathe and I hate those soft, foul-smelling bits of food that occasionally fall back into my throat. I am considering nasal irrigation but I will also check with my doctor to hear his opinion on the matter. I think these trapped food particles may be a source of infecton for my sinuses.
I too have had small particles that I could feel with my tongue getting lodged in the back of my throat.  As many of you have experienced, bad breath is imminent when you have small particles of food rotting away in your throat.  

At first I found out the particles were getting stuck behind a flap of skin to left of the back of my tongue.  

After many tries with a q-tip or the end of a pen I would be able to dislodge what I saw as a white particle of food barely sticking out of this pocket to the left of the back of my tongue.  

i noticed that if I turned my tongue to the right my throat would be positioned to see the actual particle of food.  

Tonight, I had a revelation on how to get these particles dislodged from my throat without a q-tip.  This flap on the left side of my throat is very tough to access, so tonight I reached back and turned the left side of my throat as inside out as I could.  By hooking the back of me throat and pushing in a downward motion against my throat, I was able to expel like 9 chunks of food!  Disgusting I know.  Now I checked the right side to see if their was any food lodged in, but it seems that my left side near the back of my tongue is the only area the seems to catch the food.  It is obviously an anatomical deal and we are all different, but if it's to the left or right of your throat where food is getting stuck, please try and hook the left or right side to where you turn it inside out (you will be able to see the particles) and push back.  I did it and it nudged the food out of the pocket it was in.

Hope this helps, very long read I know!
thanks be for this forum. thought i was losing my mind until i found you guys.

re. hard mass in eustachian tube

i have wierd reflux with lumpy foods eg. porridge and pills for as long as can remember but it only became serious a few months back. was diag with hashimotos and meds are gel capsules with powder, which i take 5x weekly and on other 2 days 2 small white pills. i take them at bedtime because it gets the best result. BUT i'd be lying in bed feeling the pills inch back up my throat however many glasses of water i drank. always assumed nothing could go wrong so would go to sleep imagining they would eventually find their way into my stomach doh. then one morn i woke with a horrible feeling like my ear was blocked and as the weeks passed it got worse. i used to get some relief by massaging my neck - ear would drain. as a mouth breather at night  who has post op tinnitus even sleep became almost impossible last week when 2 more little pills 'crawled' up the back of my throat. too late it dawned on me that this was unsustainable, this time was much worse, excruciating pain etc etc, neck muscles contracting and no relief. was avoiding specialist because knew from this posting and prev exp with ringing ears i was prob going to walk away upset - all these months had assumed it would go away eventually. after finding this post did some gargling, more massaging and last night used finger tips to really get into neck and rub / push etc (osteo showed me this a while back).  when i got into bed shortly thereafter i slightly elevated my head and as the blockage was to the right i began to roll my lower jaw in a half circle to the left. it hurt a bit as i have a slighly bum jaw on left side but not as bad as blockage - wouldnt do this every day mind. lay on left side, pulled right shoulder back as far as i could to open up neck and chest and fell asleep briefly. woke to the sensation of small bits going down the back of my throat then woohoo a sudden sensation mid chest (didnt feel it till then) of having swallowed a musket ball. horrible. that was follwed by a few more of what i figure were remnants of small pills and then what was prob backlog of mucus. the relief was immediate.  am ecstatic altho will say that as the block has been there for several months am having minor numbness which i expect will go away within a day or 2 as everything settles back to norm. tried some of above ideas but couldnt subvert gag reflex and was desperate, couldnt use waterpik because water might solidify mass further. the moral of this story is, as the hands on osteo guy would say, work with your body!!! and take pills at least half and hour before bed (: and in my case i will now 'chase' them with a plain rice cracker (not supposed to eat). hope this helps someone, thanks everyone, all best
I used to struggle with this problem daily but now, I find relief with a few simple process.  What helped reduced the amount of food lodged in the pockets of my tonsils and behind the tissue, that partially covers my tonsils, are three simple things.

1.) Prevention, never take a bite without water.  I never used to be a water drinker, or any type of liquids for that matter, until I noticed that rice, bread, pills, and grains would often get stuck because my throat was dry, making it easier for small and dry foods to get lodged and buried in these annoying holes.  Drinking water first help lubricate my throat and fills in these holes with water, making it easier for food to pass through.

I try to stick to wet, moist foods like soup, or saucy foods (which always help), but I love bread, still, I am always reluctant to eat anything dry without first taking a good gulp of water.  I tilt my head back to swallow my first gulp of water, so as to lubricate my tonsils, and that helps moisten my throat before each meal.  Then I just sip my water normally before each bite.  This practice has reduced my problem by 80%.

I've always been one to eat slowly and to chew my food carefully, but breaking down my foods tend to be more of a problem for me because the holes on my tonsils are small and food bits, the size of sesame seeds or bits of peanuts, find there homes in theses holes.  Water before each bite really helps prevent this agonizing incident from occurring.

2.) Gargle like you've never gargled before.  I'm not talking about frequency but rather methods. Gargle with your head tilting back and on your sides, repeat several times with your tongue in various direction/positions. Food gets stuck behind tissues in the back of our mouths and gargling backward and sideways, and with various tongue directions, help expose and dislodge the food particle tat might be blanketed by the various skin tissues in your mouth.

3.) Invest in a WaterPik. I make a warm saline solution and I blast those stubborn suckers out. That's right, if I see them lodged in one of those holes in the back of my throat, I take my WaterPik and I aim right at it.  The warm water helps with the gagging reflex but you can't avoid it because some of those food bits are really stubborn and you just have to get in there.  It's messy but you do what you have to do.

If I'm traveling and am without my WaterPik, I just use my finger, the skin and not nail side.  The pad of my finger is easier on the throat then my nails.  I sometimes have to push down on the holes to squeeze out whatever is stuck inside.  I usually see part of the food, but sometimes I can't and can only suspect there's food trapped inside because that area is swollen from buildup and bacteria.  So, like popping a pimple, I squeeze from the edge inward towards the hole.

I hate bothering with the whole thing, but it's better than bad breath or getting an infection, which used to happen to me often.  I used to want to get my tonsils removed, until I was told by someone who did it as an adult and said that it was unbearably painful. So until someone tells me that removing your tonsils is a breeze, I will just stick to this.

Good luck, everyone.  I feel your pain.
same here.  Never knew there were so many of us.  This has been a problem for years.  Now that my breath is becoming unbearable...I even asked my husband if the dog pooped in our room only to realize it's in my sinus.  There is food stuck in there right now.  My daughter begs me to see a doctor, but from these posts I have less faith anything will be done.  I will try some of the suggestions from the last 100 posts.  I hope we all learn something to get relief.

Feel your pain
I had the exact problem of food ( so I think ) particles stuck at the back of throat. I tried to free it up by scratching the surface slowly, but to no avail. It was a small white spot which looked like a boil, but I could feel that something was stuck. Next morning, I accidently did what "aoiobi" is suggesting, pressed the surface next to the white spot ( closer to front ) and voila, 2 big particles dropped down. I spit them out and crushed them with my fingers, they felt like boiled boiled cashew pieces and smelled rotten.

I know what to do for next time, but are these really tonsil stones ? This has just started happening since last few months
Wow... I thought I was all alone on this one. I had a procedure done, and I was given some hardcore BIG antibiotic pills to take afterwards. Well one of them got stuck!  I immediately went back to my Dr. He jammed a tongue depressor into my throat, and told me that I had an ulcer where my throat meets my sinus. Also that He thought I had a post nasal drip, and acid reflux. He gave me a steroid nose spray (which I don't think helped at all, and when I doubled up on it, it seriously made me ANGRY without reason) and put me on Prevacid.  I don't think he really believed me, or didn't understand what I was saying.

I am now SUPER paranoid to take pills (even tylenol or anything). I can taste the garlicy taste of a pill capsul when I sneeze!  It's seriously stuck!  I'm going to go home and try all of these things that are listed. I've used a bulb and tried to flood it out to no avail (and a big mess).

Glad I'm not the only one.
hi seeC
you and i have a 100% same problem i do what you do but i do it everyday in the morning,my husband couldnt believe it what it was the funny was he  pick it up and break with his fingers and smell it, the smell is disgusting its really hard to explain.
so please if you have a solution on this please let me know thank you so much.
I found this thread b/c i have some of the same problems discussed here, but had my tonsils removed when i about 5-7 years old, and glad i did.  Just wanted to note that i've been on a low acid, low fat diet, with no eating 2-3 hours before bed, and it's helped TREMENDOUSLY.  I can immediately tell in the mornings if i've had a bad day prior b/c i'll have *stuff* inside my nose the next morning w/out fail. This diet caused me to lose about 13 pounds approx in one month, i have a fast metabolism. As a 46 year old male i wasn't crazy about the weight loss but feel a lot better.  On mornings that i ate too late the night before (trains were down and it took 4 hours to get home!) i feel worse and congested. What prompted me to write was everyone talking about the nasty smell and taste from their sinuses. I had this from this past March up until i started this diet. The dr's name is Jamie Koufman and her book is "Dropping Acid" and you can find it on Amazon. She's a scientist as well as a doctor, and you have nothing to lose by trying this diet. I already knew i had acid reflux prior to this, but you can also have "silent reflux" which affects the throat and sinuses more than your upper chest.  Hope this helps.
to all whom share this problem. I had my uvula removed 9 years ago and last year just started gettig food caught in the back of my nose. Ive been to several ENT's even done the speech therapy. on my last visit i found out they cut way to much out of the back of my throat and now small food particles are able to travel up into my sinuses. GO TO THIS WEB SITE! http://www.maxillofacialprosth.org/Patients/PatientEd_SPP.html     it is an option to be able to eat again its like wearing a retainer after having braces. If not there is a painful surgery that lifts the back of the throat sewing it to your soft palate for 3 weeks then cutting it off to rebuild some tissue.
Water while eating is essential. Swish if anything feels funny.
Pay attention to how you swallow. My ENT mentioned asymmetric swallowing as a possible cause for my problems and sure enough I do send my food down one side of my throat. It helps when I try to swallow evenly, especially water. I think tongue thrust is also a problem.
I dissolve a blob of Biotene Oral Balance in my mouth before going to bed to help with the pain.
Also, i've found that the side piece (the templar?) on a pair of glasses works well for me when probing the back of my throat. The part that wraps around the ear is padded and bent just right.
Thank you everybody! I have had the same swallowing issue for years and I believe it was after I was choked on a piece of food.  My theory that it lodged somewhere and the force casued a pocket or else damaged muscle or nerve or some such.  Someone in the forum said it was asymetrical swallowing and I think that is the cause or else weakened swallowing muscles (which I read can also happen with age). So I'm trying a combo of smaller bites, chewing well, and some of these exercises which are also for stroke recovery/therapy.  I think I am onto something here:

http://stroke.about.com/od/caregiverresources/qt/swallowxrcs.htm
I am having this problem & wasn't sure what it was!  My husband thought I was crazy when I said I thought I had a pill stuck in my throat.  Went to my family doctor, who looked down my throat.  Sent me to an ENT who immediatley said it was acid reflux.  I have been taking double dose of prilosec for two weeks and it hasn't helped one bit.  It's not getting better or worse... just the same constant feeling of something stuck in my throat.  It seems to move around!  I coughed up a hard white blob and the feeling went away for a few hours, but then the feeling came back & felt sharper than before.  I am moving out of state in two weeks & don't have health insurance yet, so I am really hoping that the doctor will be able to do something.  It is very "depressing" because I feel like something is wrong all day, every day.  I am going to print this discussion & bring to the doctor.  I am on a tight budget, but am going to try the apple cider vinegar gargling when I get home from work.  Any other ideas would be much appreciated.  
Follow these breathing techniques- pranayam, daily, twice a day. The throat will be exercised and help the food fall out.

Duration : 5 to 21  times.
October 11 ,2011
hey my name is angel martinez im 19 i think i have the same problem also except for me it only happens if i drink orange juice or eat and take a nose breath in at the wrong time once i take a breath its like its just stuck there and hurts i often snuff and everyone in my fam always ask why i make that noise but they dont understand how it feels it doesnt happpen to me all the time but when it does its usually in the winter times. at the end of its course yes small particles will come out idk it just drives me crazy im constantly spitting sorta hurts to swallow its not exactly my throat though it is like others have said in the nasal and throat? entering ? however i have taken tea hot tea with honey and i guzzle some sore throat meds its soothes the pain and eases me for a while but throughout it is so annoying if i helped or anyone has suggestions please email me ***@****
I have the same problem, and as a matter of fact I'm having it right now!  It is so irritating, my boyfriend just looks at me like I'm crazy, because I'm snorting in hopes of dis-lodging the food matter.  I have even used my neti pot, it just wont come out. This has happened several times within the last few months, I wonder if something is blocking the food from going down, or am I not chewing well enough. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with this issue, I don't feel so weird when I say i have food stuck in my nasal cavity.
So far, I seem to be the only one who has these pus balls AND difficulty clearing my ears.  I read in an old medical journal that mucous can get stuck in the eustation tube after a cold (they called it catarrah).  The recommendation was for the physician to put a finger in the ear and press while masaging the soft palette to clear the fosse (crypts).  I have tried to do this myself and haven't had much luck. I have been using a hose and hand held shower on the strongest setting to move the lymph fluid which in turn helps clear the mucous/puss balls - I havn't been consistent with it though so can't say that it works 100% - I think a homepopathic anti inflammatory (the food/pus is infected & creates inflammation) and I also think the smell is infection as well as rotten food - so glad to see this forum and I want to try the inversion techniques as well as the water pik with some tea tree oil & peppermint  in it - I think lymph drainage is the main issue.

http://www.pacificcollege.edu/acupuncture-massage-news/articles/670-lymphatic-drainage-and-facial-massage-can-help-sinus-infections-and-allergies.html

"Your lymphatic system can be compared to a freeway. When congested, nothing moves. The same thing can happen in your body. Your lymphatic system affects every organ and cell in your body. When your lymphatic system's drainage becomes blocked, you cannot eliminate toxic material.

When the lymph fails to function properly, it becomes sluggish or even stagnant. The clear lymph fluid becomes cloudy and thick, changing from a condition like water to milk to yogurt to cottage cheese. Thickened, gel like stagnant lymph overloaded with toxic waste is the ideal environment for the onset of numerous illnesses, including cancer.

Your lymphatic system includes a vast network of capillaries that transport the lymph a series of nodes throughout the body (primarily in the neck, groin, and armpits) that collect the lymph and 3 organs, namely the tonsils, spleen, and thynius gland, which produce white blood cells (called lymphocytes), vital to the immune system.

The space between cells occupies about 18% of the body. Fluid containing plasma proteins, foreign particles, and bacteria that accumulate in these spaces between cells, is called lymph. The primary purpose of the lymphatic system is to collect the lymph and to return its contents to the bloodstream. More specifically, the lymph system collects waste products and cellular debris from the tissues to eliminate toxins from the body.

The lymph flows upward through the body up to the chest (at the rate of 3 quarts per 24 hours) where it drains into the bloodstream through two large ducts. Lymph also flows down from the head and neck into these drainage sites. Unlike the blood supply, the lymphatic system does not have a pump (the heart) to move it along. Rather, its movement depends on such factors as muscle contraction or manual manipulation (why inactivity can lead to increased illness).

The lymph circulation is also a one way circulation it only returns fluid to the bloodstream. The lymph system becomes particularly active during times of illness (such as the flu), when the nodes (particularly at the neck) visibly swell with collected waste products.

When the collecting terminals become blocked, it's like a bottleneck; lymph starts backing up in the system creating a toxic oxygen deprived environment conducive to degeneration and disorder. Toxic lymph can be stored for a long time in the system. This is not a healthy condition".

http://www.essentialprofiles.com/html/JadeLymphaticDrainage.htm
Here's some exciting information!

http://www.internettradebureau.com/articles/tonsilstones.htm
I used to have this problem severely when i was younger about 5 years ago...it sort of went away by itself for the most part

I never told anyone about it because i thought it was emphysema or lung cancer from smoking, and i was too afraid/embarresed to tell anyone

the little yucky squishy STINKY bits used to dislodge themselves into my mouth by themselves, I would be just sitting there, and next thing you know there was little solid bits in my mouth..very strange feeling!

It happened to me again today , and so i googled it and LO AND BEHOLD, im not the only one!

BUT , i am not seeing any clear answers here...

IS IT or IS IT NOT tonsil stones?

DOES removing your tonsils help or not?

I also suffer from acid reflux and have had excessive amounts of mucous since a child, which I was told was due to unknown allergies

I dont seem to have bad breathe that often, but im scared of it returning...

Is there anyone who can give me any clear answers about this?
You do not need to remove the tonsils.You can do something to help the throat and mucous problem.
Do kapalbhati for 20 minutes, twice a day.
Do ujjayi for 11 times daily.
This will work on your internal systems and you will the benefit in weeks. Let me know when you notice the benefit, so others can follow.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating)
Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.

Ujjayi pranayam
Procedure: While breathing in, tighten throat(contract glotis) and there will be sound from back of throat, then drop chin(rest chin on chest), hold breath as long as possible.Then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril.
Duration: 5 – 21 times

How to do Ujjayi
When you clear your throat, you tighten your throat and breath out, twice, with a pause in between. . Now if you reverse this, that is, tighten the throat and breath in continuously for abour 8 to 12 seconds, then hold your breath for 4 seconds with the chin down, then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril, you have just done Ujjayi pranayam.You will feel like coughing initially.
November 11 ,2011
30 minutes a day= 3.5 hours a week, i could have a part time job that takes up less time than your funky breathing plan...

Sorry that is just not the TYPE of solution im looking for.

Does anyone else have any advice other than weird yoga breathing ?

Thx in advance
I do not think these breathing exercises are related to the problems expressed in this forum..
I have a similar problem and I have to have my nasopharynx starched about ever 5 years, by going down my throat with a scope the Dr puts me to sleep in only takes about ½ hour,  they can not tell me why it happens but it works
I've had the problem it seems like forever.  The doctor just looked at me like I was a waste of his time and space when I asked for a referral to get it checked out so ... DIY.  I assume it's either a deviation or maybe  irritation/thickening of the soft pallet caused by chronic catarrah from allergies.  Tiny pills and food particles.  I've recently started taking chia seeds and every time I get a seed stuck.  If it's not flushed/coughed/snorked out/removed fairly quickly, an infection sets up.  The best way I've found to dislodge stuff stuck up there with the least irritation is to gargle with "voice" to open up the soft pallet and just keep at it until it frees. You may still feel like it's there for a little while though, even if it's gone, because of the irritation.  Then gargle and maybe flush nostrils (neti pot or "Flo" bottle) with colloidal silver to kill any infection. It's annoying but life goes on.  If you have a problem with catarrah, look into flushing the nasal passages on a regular basis and using a candiasis diet.
I guess I am glad to hear that I am not alone - but I am having this problem right now for the first time and I feel like I am crazy!  My husband basically told me to stop trying to dislodge it becuase I was distracting him - seriously !?! you have this thing stuch in your throat.  Went to an ENT today and he looked at me like I had six heads then told me to take a xanax...so frustrated...but I guess I am glad it isn't just me...going to try some of everyone's remedies and hope something helps :-)
Does anyone feel like their debris moves from one side to the other?
Yes Bigsigh123. A few days ago the right side of my throat was SO sore it was incredibly painful to swallow. The next day it felt fine, but the left side was now causing severe pain to swallow. It has now been 3 days of left side pain. I have had tonsil stones before so I've been keeping that in mind. I have never experienced this kind of pain swallowing before. It's like strep throat but I'm not sick and it only hurts on the left side. It feels like something is stuck in my throat. When I've had tonsil stones before I'd be able to see the peeking out and I could dislodge them myself. This time all I see is red and swollen. I'm thinking I might need my tonsils out? SO FRUSTRATED and losing sleep! Mother of 3....I can't afford to lose sleep!!! Someone HELP!!!
I had no problem getting the tonsils removed.  My ENT said he regularly had patients wanting them removed due to the stones.  While in his office looking at his charts of the throat I noticed smaller pouches or cavities where stones can gather deeper in the throat. I did ask if any stones could get lodged in that area  and he stated in some cases they do, however; not to often. Needless to say, I had mine removed (this past summer) and was really excited to start living again without the embarrassment of bad breath. Much to my surprise it didn't work. The odor returned and I am at my wits end.  It seems that my problem worsens after a meal.  I have tried the neti pots, nasal irrigation, I scrape my tongue, brush and floss after meals and gargle, I'm up to try almost anything now.

I read online about "strings" or "chains" of food particles (tonsil stones) growing down the throat, will try to get my GP to recommend an x-ray to see if they can be seen that way.  Will return for another doctor visit to see about another step to end this nightmare.

I read where one woman in South America had a tonsil stone the size of a golf ball removed. OUCH!!!! Talk about pain.  

I have described some natural methods to clear the particles stuck in the throat. Look at my post dated November 11, 2011. This works gradually, so allow some weeks, but give it a try. Your will feel a vibration in the throat.
Thanks for all of the info. Some of this has been really helpful. I don't really think I am dealing with tonsil stones but am having swallowing issues and small particles of food stuck in throat. Recently diagnosed with Asthma then I started having espohagael issues with difficultly swallowing and the feeling of food stuck in my throat deep in the chest area. Also cold food comes back up. Even my tiny thyroid (I'm hypo/ Hashi's) pill feels stuck deep at times. Endoscopy revealed nothing other than some constriction. The doctor did a dialation which has done little to help. Now I am waiting to see a specialist in about a month to check for a motility disorder. In the mean time, this is getting worse. Popcorn is really bad. But yesterday I ate almonds (a favorite snack) and all day long I was coughing up very very small bits of what appear to be almond and the skin with the feeling the some was stuck in the back of my upper throat and tonsil area. Coughed, gargled water, flushed with syring. Went to bed and felt fine this morning until I ate oatmeal (thought soft food would be good). Now I have that horrible feeling again. I tried the salt, vingar, peroxide garged and it seemed to offer some temporary relief and over all the feeling is not as bad. I am getting over a cold and after reading I think that maybe the small particles are getting caught in the mucos. I cannot see anything stuck although my right tonsil is a but inflamed. Poked around and behind with a q-tip but no success. Tried breathing excercises and kids think it's hilarious but not helping yet. Upside down help me cough up a little but bothered my reflux. It feels like the little pieces are creeping up from deeper in the esophagus so I don't really think it is tonsil stones although I might. Anyone dealing with something like this? I'm just trying to make through the next month or so until I can see specialist and get motility study done. I wonder if I need to go on low fiber smooth food diet until it figured out. I been tested for tons of allergy stuff and that does not appear to be the issue here.
I honestly thought that I was the only one that suffered from this....i have tried to explain it to my doctor but he seems baffled. It started about 6 months ago out of the blue and happens when i swallow tablets. it doesnt matter what size of tablet. I once swallowed a very bitter, large tablet which got stuck somewhere at the back of my throat, yet near my nasal passage.When i tried to swallow i could feel it move downwards but not very far and then i feel it slowly moving back up. Im not sure where its trying to come out from but it makes me gag constantly. ive tried turning upside down and shaking it out but it reaches only so far and then my gagging reflex kicks in  which then pushes it back down where ever that is and then starts to move upwards again repeating the process. ive also tried sticking my finger right to the back of my throat and have felt it stuck around the soft pallet area. I have tried eating, drinking, coughing, vomitting, you name it. I am now petrified of taking any tablets. its happened around 5 times now and ive had to wait hours and hours for it to dissolve on its own. As it affects my sleep ive also taken a sleeping tablet knowing that too will get stuck but at least it knocks me out and hopefully when i wake its dissolved. My doctor is sending me for a barium meal which i know is pointless as i feel they need to have a look with a camera or take an xray after i have taken a pill to see where it is lodged. It seems that more and more people are suffering with this and being left to just deal with it. The doctors need to take this seriously and look into how to treat this problem. Im sure if i was a private paitent and could afford to do this privatley, they'd find a solution.
hi as youve specialised in this subject can you please explain how come i can feel the tablet that ive swallowed under the soft pallet area and feel it moving around in there..It also feels like its right at the back of my nasel passage. if i turn upside down i feel it trying to come out from under the soft area right at the back of my throat near my nose. Just as it feels like its coming out, my gagging reflex kicks in putting it back to where it started.....alot of people are saying the exact same thing as me. Any ideas??

many thanx
wow i am now suffering from what i thought was a sinus infection brought on by a cold.No wonder i thought why do i have a sore throat and no fever? Sure enough it happened after a bad heartburn that went up my throat. After that that it all started that night and never knew if food came down or not but yesterday i ate peanuts and back to the same problem ..Thank you now i know what it is!
I, too, seem to have something stuck in my throat.  It started off as a foul taste in my mouth randomly throughout the day and night, so I called my allergy doctor with no luck for an anwer - the nurse actually said, "Please call me if you figure it out."  Tonight I discovered in my spin class (while gasping for air) that something dislodged in my throat.  Being in a class full of people, I couldn't exactly take care of the issue, and now that I'm home (and breathing is normal) gargling, qtips, my finger, a tooth brush, etc. etc., don't seem to work.  I still don't think I can get to it.  

I'm pretty sure I don't have tonsil stones, as I have asked my dentist before.  I do, however, have allergies, and trying to get off medication, I quit taking the things that reduced drainage in my throat.  I believe this is what caused whatever is in there to stick.  I have a horrible gag reflex, so tonight was quite unpleasant.  It also makes it very hard to "hauk a lugie" or otherwise work my throat.  Needless to say, I am going to do some intense exercise in the morning and am quite confident I can expel the object (privately) when my breathing is very heavy. One other time I've had this feeling, and I was able to rid it this way.  I am not sure that this will help, but it is worth a try if you have symptoms like mine and a super sensitive gag reflex.  If you are not acclimated to high intensity cardio, I wouldn't recommend this.  Any tips on how to relax your throat to see back into the flaps?  Thanks everyone for the great tips!

.I have suffered from the same thing for 12 years now too. I think that these are tonsiliths or tonsil stones. My concern is that these are coming from bacteria, and to get rid of them obviously we need to get rid of the bacteria. It's one thing to do a tonsilectomy, but we have tonsils the whole way down our throats and I've heard that if you have a tonsilectomy you can still get these further down your throat. The solution is to get rid of the bacteria. Does anyone know why they have the bacteria in their throats in the first place? There are some very harmful bacterias out there ... we should really be trying to find a solution to that! I sometimes sleep and wake up with something stuck in my throat or it simply drops into my mouth. It's terrible. There is thick mucous in my throat too. The job of the muscous membranes is to secrete mucous to traps particlies so that they don't end up in our airways ... my mucous membranes are working overtime and I find this situation pretty depressing as I've not found a solution for it yet!
.
So I can help you guys just a little with my story.

In my case I had spent years searching for issues with my head and sinus's, wondering why I had sinusitis or the like.  I had been to neurologists, ENTs, GPs.  I had MRIs, all to no avail.  Went on for years, no one could figure it out.

Then I had a totally unrelated problem.  Broke my jaw years ago, had bone issues as well and ended up having surgery.  Well when the dentist did the x-rays, he noticed that one of my teeth had been pushed up into my nasal passage (I was in martial arts and was at times wild in my youth.).  

This tooth pushing up had created a direct line from my mouth to my nose.  Turns out, some of the food I was eating would travel back and forth.  Stuff in my nose would try to fall the whole as well.  

However, I think there is an in-between case where the stuff gets lodge in the tissue of my soft palate and irritates me for a time.  I normally just have to find a way to pull it through.  It's irritating and can cause headaches from time to time but I think the little there is just dissolves over time and/or I get it dislodged.  

That might help some of you out.  I'd recommend suggesting this to a dentist or a doctor that can check on this for you as well.

Good luck all and thanks to everyone who took the time to write in this.  It was helpful for me to know I wasn't alone.
Clear your throat, then clear your throat in reverse for. Do this 5 times. The particles will gradually dislodge from the throat.
It's a late response, but I have just developed this annoying problem in the last few days. One of the problems is that it's getting stuck  behind my tonsils. One of the things that has helped dislodge it from the side (although it tends to just move, rather than go down) is gurgling for a longer period of time. Be careful not to choke on the liquid you're gurgling of course..haha. There's no need for a lot of liquid. Anyway, this actually dislodges the particle of whatever it is from behind the tonsil area, and can make it go down eventually. Otherwise, it may just stay there which will cause inflammation, and then the problem is ongoing.

I do believe that this is related to sinusitis or an inflammation. The problem is that when these particles become lodged, it's making the problem persistent because of swelling. I'd say take some ibuprofen, this should help with inflammation initially, and maybe allow the problem to go away on its own. The ibuprofen may get lodged too, but that's okay. Just make sure that whatever pill you take is coated so that it will be less irritating. The more you irritate the throat and tonsils, the longer this problem will last..just remember that. So, basically the more we try to dislodge the particle(s), the worse it will get.

Good luck. I know it's rather infuriating. But, hopefully this helps.
Wow,  I have been throught the gauntlette for almost 2 years.  2 CT scans, two scopes, every type of doctor imaginable, every perscription under the sun, every concoction for the neti pot. NOTHING.  I don't know for sure that this is what I have because it doesn't go away but the symptoms sound the same., just continually gets worse and I don't have tonsils.  Next they want me to do ANOTHER round of allergy tests and a sleep apnea test.  I am loosing my mind with constant head aches teeth aches blurry vision and the doctors literally asking me if I thought in the beginning I had a tumor or sumething and now I just can't get rid of the idea so it is manifesting the symtoms (symptoms) in my mind.  Yes I am simply nuts, like I really want to spend all this money on co-pays and traveling (1 hour to a doctor for me).  It is a blessing to know that there are other's out there with no answers.  I will DEFINATELY try some of the remedies mentioned on here and check back from time to time.
While it seems that we all have the same symptoms, it seems that there afe different causes for it.  From reading the discussion, I believe this annoying issue is caused either by tonsil stones or mucous ( maybe frm post nasal drip).   I have been dealing with this issue for about a year now, and I thought I just wasn't chewing thouroughly.  However, when I was in the army, I couldn't really chew at all and never had a problem.  So in my case, I have a NeilMed Sinus Rinse so I decided to give it a shot as discusses previously.  Its really annoying and feel weird, but I have to say, I just ate a small bag of peanuts, and did not get ANYTHING stuck.  I feel so relieved.  I think that if there is a problem with mucous, or post nasal drip, that could be the cause of the issue.  Try a sinus rinse and see if it works.  They are a little pricey, but it would be work it if it works.  If it doesn't, maybe the cause is something else.  
Is the NeilMed still helping your problem?

How about Waterpik, TheraBreath or SinuPule Nasal irrigation kits?
i has the same problem :-( after to much efforts sometimes i could remove that small food particle & sometimes no !! and yep it (particle)smells bad :-(
I've been having this problem for some time. I started to take oral hygiene very seriously because this gets a bad breath.
Some advice that I can give you:
- Brush your teeth and tongue after every meal (brush the tongue is really important).
- Use some mouthwash product to clean areas your brush won't go (I use listerine)
(once this helped soften the thing and it got out while I was gargling)
- Try to not talk while eating.
- Eat slowly to chunk the food better.(feel confortable while eating)

I still get food stuck, but this is getting very rare.
Just to let you know I still have my tonsils. I'm thinking about removing them but I'm still worried about my resistances. Can anyone tell me if the removal gets you sick more often?
Hi everybody.
I hope someone could learn my technique because it solved my problem.
Some doctors told me that I, as many other people, have a particularly curly or intrincated anatomy below my tongue, down into the laringe. More intrincated than normal, but it is not considered a problem to health.
However food from time to time gets stucked and within a day or sometimes less, it rottens because of saliva effect, giving bath breath and taste, quite an awful sensation.
It was impossible to remove until I took the decision of getting my finger inside, as deep as I could, and 'massage' of 'rub' that uneven surface (you'll see how uneven it is!!), and after that try to cough or something trying to clean the throat. I spit that rubbish out!!! I was happy!!!. But that wasn't the end.
This method worked fine sometimes but I needed extra cleaning power!. So, one day, after trying hard to remove my stuff, I started using the muscles of the throat, doing strange movements with your tongue and its back, quite uncomfortable, but a few seconds of this movement allowed my throat to expell a couple of huge pieces of old food. I happy again!!
Now it is a common technique which I do regularly and it is incredibly effective. Its hard to explain how I do this movements, but they are like trying to open your mouth big, put your jaw back, really back, then move your tongue also really back and down, and in that condition close your mouth. something like this. But works. Without coughing!.
Hope help somebody.
BYE!!!!!
I´m feeling everityng that you describe.what did you do about it. the doctors dont understand and right now i´m stuck with peaces of one apple that I ate last week.
- once you woke up, the particles are drier and less sticky.
- use water to gargle before you do anything. need to do it "deep", where the water will reach the inner parts of the throat.
- spit the water out and the particles may follow. Gargle a few times before the particles get wet and back to the sticky state.
- carry a small bottle of saltwater with you and rinse the mouth and throat after meals.
- saltwater help mask the smell from the stuck particles, mouth rinses with alcohol content only make the mouth dry and makes the smell worse.

- Lastly, try switching to vegetarian diet, meat particles emit more smell than vege particles.

Take Care.
It seems that we all have very common problems with swallowing food.  I think are best bet is to eat small bites of food and chew excessively.  Try to not eat food that is mostly processed because these are the foods that will not deteriorate over time since most of it consists of preservatives.  One technique in particular I do that seems to work effectively is taking a Q tip with the cotton still on and pushing back each crevasse in the back of my throat to push out or dislodge the food particles one by one.  Another good method Ive learned is to drink tea with honey in it.  It soothes the throat and relaxes the throat muscles so you can reach further in your tonsils or other areas in the back of your throat.  Besides that I think warm salt water is also a huge help.  Anyhow I hope this helps.

Take care and gl to all of us!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Today I had some pop corn and felt a kernel trying to go the wrong way I thought I got it out but now it feels like it just stock somwhere. I'm so scared I'm going to choke when I go to bed it's been 7 hours dealing with this. To realize some of you have been dealing with something like that for years and months. Your so brave. I have major issues with taking pills, being scared of choking so I'll try some of the things all of you mentioned. It makes me feel better I'm not the only dealing with this weird issue too. Thanks,
Did you managed to reach the food particles that are not within the visible range? I have hard time trying to dislodge the food particles that are stuck not within the visible range.

"One technique in particular I do that seems to work effectively is taking a Q tip with the cotton still on and pushing back each crevasse in the back of my throat to push out or dislodge the food particles one by one. "
This might be helpful:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/swallowing_disorders/dd_overview.aspx

Head position and posture... "generally chin to chest is best" and I tried this just now while eating popcorn.  No feeling of popcorn getting stuck behind some odd cranny in my throat, tonsil or wherever.
has anyone ever got their tonsils removed and found that it worked?????
I've had it since i was a kid.  The doc told my mom to have me gargle with salt water.  I asked the doc that I have now.  He told me that is was no big deal and that the pores in my tonsils would shrink with age.  I always worry that they give me bad breath.  They call it porous tonsils.  Food just gets trapped and decays.
Hi there,

I had my tonsils removed when I was 29yrs old.  It was horrible, but once I've recovered from the op, I was glad I did it.  My mum always told me that I used to get Tonsilitis atleast 4 times a year and they can not remove it while it is infected and who wants to take a healthy child for an operation?

As an adult, we lived in a high risk Malaria area and my tonsillitis go so bad that I was tested for Malaria every time!

So one day I just had enough and had my tonsils removed.  Best decision I've ever made!  I am now 37yrs old and don't miss my tonsils at all :)

I am a mum of 2 and when my youngest had tonsillitis 3x times in one season, I had hers removed the moment she was healthy again.  She was 5yrs old.  Best decision I've ever made for her.

If your tonsils becomes a chronic problem, get it removed.
You have cryptic tonsils, and the only way to get rid of the smelly tonsiliths is to have tonsillectomy.
Yeah, I have the same problem with small particles stuck in my throat that I could feel it and much mucus will secreted. But I just couldn't get them (it) out until much later time like a day or two. Then I crushed it (actually it was still like a food particle) and it smelled very bad. What is the solution or cure to not have food stuck in there. Thanks.
I have the same issues as previous posts. Started years back had tonsils removed also scans, went to ent specialist etc. I was wondering if anyone has a specific or general area of where in the throat to try and work at? Does anyone have any pics or drawings where I can look to find them in my throat? I have used flash light and probed and cant seem to remove them at all. Please help.
Crush the tablets mix it with some juice and drink it that my hel to solve the issue or ask doctor to give you medicine to drink rather than take the tablets, tonsit stones are ususally at the back of the throat and you can see them like imle I h this thing and the only way to get them out was the  cough hard and if they were matiured enough it would come out like a white head or I had toush them out with my fingers yuck, the ENT and my doctor said they were food articles I know if it was food articles I could rinse them out and I dont have to suzze them out like imle, thats when I did the reasearch and came u with tonsil stones, but if you think it is the small tablets lease cursh then u mix it with some juice and swallow them.
Good Luck
heather
Nasonex works for me too. Reduces the swelling and irritation caused by me trying to cough and hack them out and allows the natural flow of mucus to move the particles out and down the throat. I sympathize with everyone who has this problem it is a miserable thing to deal with.
Hey man,

Try neilmed sinus rinse. You can purchase this at Walmart or Walgreens.
I've had a similar problem and the sinus rinse really works.  
I too suffer from this condition, I've traditionally had some sinus issues, but it only become evident about a year or so ago that some of it can affirmatively be attributed to these particles of food getting "stuck" somewhere behind my soft palate or the lower part of my sinus cavity.  I discovered at a relatively early age that I could coax out the tonsil stones with my tongue and relieve myself of those foul things, but this isn't stones, or at least not stones in the way I've had stones for decades.   My first experience with this was eating spicy pork rinds that basically explode into tiny shards of fried fat.  I had the worst sinus pain and eventual infection.  
I've tried the netti pot, gargling with salt water, H2O2, and even swabbing.  No relief other than the constant focus of removing the ultra-dense stringy mucus that forms once I get "stuck"  Eventually it seems that the mucus does its job and captures the offending particle(s) and when I clear a wad of it that has the particle in it, I experience nearly instant relief.  I would really like to find some treatment or effective measure to prevent or at least speed up the process for clearing these things.  I'm over 40, so I don't know if it's an age thing or why this only started later in life.  It's very frustrating.
Great Post.  I tried the breathing exercises and managed to clear the sinus pretty good!  

What I have found that seems to help quite a bit is taking a mouthful of clean water and then swishing it around between my teeth and in the back of my mouth/throat area while hanging my head UPSIDE DOWN!  (In a chair or touch your toes)This seems to rinse out the pocket that catches the food and my sinus and eustachen tube as well.  Gravity helps get the water where it needs to go.  You can use a saline rinse - 1 teaspoon to 1 cup clean water or just clean water.  Spit out the goo.
I have the same problem - I think it's in part caused by mild acid reflux and maybe in part by allergies, and the one way that I've found to help is (because the food stuck in my mucus is worst overnight) #1 - not eating too late and #2 - drinking a lot of water in the hours before bed. The water REALLY helps, but it needs to be at least 2 glasses for me. It washes everything down, and I get a better sleep.

I have allergies and sinus issues, so I'm not sure this will go away.

I am glad that I'm not the only one who has it! The food particles hasn't been happening more than a few months I think, but I always tend to have a lot of mucus.
Hi Everyone,

-This is an old thread, but a lot of us seem to be suffering.

-Some of us seem to have the particles stuck "above" our mouths, in the sinuses. While some seem to have it stuck "lower" in the throat. I am one of the latter. It almost feels like I should be able to get to it, but it seems to be just out of reach. I can't see anything and I tried to feel around with my finger, gagging the whole time, but can't find anything. I improvised a homemade water pick by punching a small hole in the top of a water bottle. Again, it doesn't seem to do anything and gags me as I spray water forcefully in the back of my throat.

-In the scheme of things I know it's a small thing, but all I can do is focus on this and it even gets in the way of my sleep. It is so depressing that I have even had suicidal thoughts. So, while I acknowledge this is a small thing compared to someone in real pain, imagine having sand in your eye or a pebble in your shoe that you could never get out. Small things like this can compound upon themselves and turn into something big.

--I am 37 years old and this really was never a problem with me. Of course, on occasion things like this would happen, but now it's been happening for the past few days and its really terrible. I have been sick with a strep throat for about a week, so I am sure my throat is inflamed and that is causing this. I have no medical coverage, but even if I did it seems like doctors are pretty useless here. Unless the can somehow scrape your throat clean I don't see anything they can do and that is depressing as well.

I have tried various things posted here but nothing seems to do anything.

Sorry for the rambling, I am just very upset and have no one to talk to. :(
Hello there,

I am glad you've found the Forum and now you know you are not alone and together we can find a solution or cure or something that makes it better.

I've had issues with my throat for about 4 years and knows how frustrating it is to have to live with this lump in the throat and food getting stuck!  You really described it well:  pebble in your shoe!  I'll remember that and tell my ENT when I see him next.

It seems as if Doctors are not worried to find a solutions and make a diagnoses, unless it is life-threatening or cancerous!

Just never give up!  I know it is depressing but giving up is not an option.

The object in your throat that you feel at the back is your Epiglottis and for some reason it becomes irritated and feels lumpy.  You won't achieve anything by poking or spraying water forcefully.  To fiddle with it irritates it even more and makes it worse.

Acid reflux is normally the culprit and an easy and inexpensive way to figure this out:  get yourself some OTC Gaviscon and take that in the mornings, afternoons and before bedtime and keep a food diary and see if you can identify food that aggravates or soothes it.  IF the Gaviscon helps (it can take about 2 weeks to fully kick in) then you have a diagnoses of acid reflux.

But keep on talking to us :)  all the best,
I've been suffering through something similar to what many of you have been describing and in my case, thanks to my Mom, I found that the culprit is a pharyngitis.

This has been happening to me for almost 3 weeks now, waking up with an extremely sore throat. About 4 days ago I was using some nose drops when something fell out of my mouth and half of my throat suddenly went back to normal. After I talked to my mom she immediately said it was pharyngitis.

I initially couldn't see anything in my throat but then I took a flashlight and really had to look deep in there and I found a small white dot.

So I just wanted to let people know that the symptoms for food trapped and pharyngitis are almost the same. For the last few days I really thought I had something stuck in my throat...turned out I'm sick without a fever