Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Small lump/bump in my throat near my epiglottis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hello!

About two days ago I found a small  lump/bump on the right side of the inside of my throat - very near my epiglottis.  I had some soreness on the right side of my throat behind my right tonsil and - stupidly or not - I followed the soreness down my throat (thoroughly cleaned my hands beforehand) and ultimately felt the small bump.  It feels hard (so I am thinking it's not a cyst) and about half a centimetre in diameter.  

I have had occasional ear pain but not persistent and the soreness I was feeling is almost gone.   I would not have known the lump was there if I had not done what I just described - i.e. no trouble swallowing, no pain when swallowing.  

My understanding is that throat cancer is relatively rare, also I have never smoked and I am not a big drinker (1-2 alcoholic drinks every 6 months) so what are the chances that this lump is malignant?  I am going to my doctor tomorrow to have it checked but I am interesting in understanding what the likelihood of a malignancy are in my case?