Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Small white lumps on ear, on and in nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I noticed a small, white lump on the back of my five-year0old sons left ear about 10weeks ago, since noticing it, it has increased slightly in size.  The pharmacist thought it may be a wart as it is hard but the doctor said it looked like cartilage and they would only remove it if it trebles in size.  He did seem to say it was cartilage rather quickly, which didn't really put me at ease and the reason for it occurring wasn't explained.

Since seeing the doctor, 3 more of these white lumps have appeared, one just outside my sons nose near the bottom of the nostrils and one inside each nostril.

Does you have any idea what these lumps could be or if it is in fact cartilage?  It seems odd to me that cartilage can grow outside of the body as I've not heard of this before ...

What could or should be done about these lumps?
I suggest that you either go back to the doctor, or take your son to an ENT.  
I took him back to the doctor this morning and he gave me the same answer as the last visit, it's a fibroma which is just cartilage and only if there are 6 of them is it classed as significant and they will only remove them if they triple in size.  

I still feel a little confused as to diagnosis really, such as how it occurs and why, and have done a little research on fibromas since leaving the doctor and they are basically benign tumours and then you have neurofibromas and sarcoma, so now I have more unanswered questions as the fibromas can develop to these other ones ... I'm going to keep an eye on the ones that have already appeared and go back if any change occurs.

My son also has a chesty cough which sounds a little asthmatic, whether this is just the usual cough kids get or if it is a result of something else and accompanying these white lumps, I don't know just yet.

Thanks for your suggestion
It is funny how educating ourselves can either calm our fears or add to them.  Try not to worry too much and watch fibromas for growth.  

How long has he had the cough?  If it is a recent development, dont worry and see if it goes away.  If it isn't better in a few weeks he should be seen by a dr for that.  There are many things that can cause an asthmatic sounding cough.  Unless he has a family history of it, I wouldn't worry about that just yet.  

Take care.