Smell in Nose
e08
For about a year I have had an intermitent smell in my nose.
It is sort of a smoky/burnt dusty smell. Sometimes it makes my eyes fell stinging from the smell.
We do not smoke or hang around with smokers.
It happens inside or outside.  
I asked my husband if he cold smell anything near my nose area when it is happening and he said no.

Any ideas?
e08
I have heard of this, but am not sure what could cause it. Maybe go to an ENT doctor.
Becky
I was looking in the Gastroenterology Community for answers for a similar problem.  I smell a smoky, burning smell, not sure where it is coming from, seems to come from upper torso area, but sometimes can smell it on my skin, too.  I thought maybe it was inside, in my nose, but others at work sometimes ask "what is that smell" or say they smell something burning.  I've consulted with my Doctor, who is an internist, and he never heard of it.  He sent me to Gastroenterologist, and I've had EGD and colonoscopy, with no results, nothing found, and that Dr. said he'd never heard of it either.  He offered to send me to a neurologist when I asked if it could be an olfactory hallucination, but I never went to the neurologist, as the smell is noticed by others, not just by me.
  It subsided for a while, and is back this week.
  I did find a website re: trimethylaminuria, and wondered if it was the source of this smell...   Kathy
my smoky smell is very and last for days at a time my Dr sent my to a neurologist and ent specialist only discover i have a tumor on my brain however they are not sure the smell is coming form the tumor the smell is very bothersom it burns my eyes makes my mouth tast bad give me a headace and i become malfunction please i am seeking medical help my neurologist put me on carbatrol it does not help at all
I have had this a couple of years now. I think I found out what it is. It may be a dehydration issue. When this occurs, I can drink 32oz of Gatorade and then a liter of bottled water and continue to drink as much water as I can for the day and it goes away and stays gone as long as I stay hydrated. If I wait too long to hydrate the burn smell becomes so intense that I get a headache. If I tackle this at the slightest hint of smoke smell with lots of water I can eliminate it rather quickly.