Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Smelling cigarette smoke when there is none

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I started smelling cigarette smoke very heavily on Sunday April 22,2012. It is as though someone is blowing it right in my face and it completely takes my breath away. I feel very ill from it. It is constant, no matter where I go, it is there....

It is getting harder and harder to breath. My nose, eyes, throat and chest have begun to burn and I am actually beginning to cough up mucus from this.

I have hypothyroidism and have recently been changed from synthroid to Armour thyroid meds. I am also severly anemic and not taking iron.

As far as stress goes....I don't know what could be stressing me.

I have found that I am not the only person with these symptonm. I have started vomiting tonight from the strong smell of cigarette smoke. I have gotten weaker, I'm sure from being sick.

My question is.....What would any of you suggest I do?

Frustrated and needing Fresh Air......
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to olfactory hallucinations. Phantosmia most often occurs as a result of a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by temporal lobe seizures, sinusitis, brain tumors, migraine, Parkinson's disease and stroke. You may need proper evaluation by your GP, please consult him for a neurological assessment. He may then refer you to a neurologist if needed.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your input. I am headed to the dr tomorrow, hopefully they will help me. I am also going to have my new unit checked for refrigerant leaks. I went up this evening and sprayed water with soap in it on the copper connections and it started blowing bubbles for me, so there is a leak. I'm truly hoping that is my problem and my health problems will clear up after the repair.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
good luck...