Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Soad tastes flat but it's NOT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Soad tastes flat but it's NOT

I've been going through a world of medical issues over the past 8 months. I'm currently taking Topamax 50mg 1x daily at bedtime, Lexapro 20 mg 1x daily also at bedtime, Maxalt MLT 10 mg when needed (not often).

For the past month soda has been tasting flat to me.  I've stopped drinking it all together and switched to Gatorage and Lipton Green Tea.  My throat always seems dry and my tongue seems dry even though to touch, it is not.  

I also have noticed that my ears seem to be bothering me a bit more than what I would consider normal.  

By that I mean it's as if they are plugged up but it takes a lot of work to get them to pop (pressure0.  Don't know if that has anything to do with that above.

Additionally, I only seem to have this problem with carbonated drinks.  I tried drinking a beer at a wedding over this past weekend and the same this occured, at first taste it tastes flat, then after a few seconds my taste buds kick in and it feels a bit like pins and needles on my tongue and then I finally taste the flavor of the beer (same with soda),  My palatte is perfect with anything else as far as beverages and food goes.

Is there something going on with my tastebuds or perhaps an infection?  

Both Topamax and Lexparo can cause dry mouth which may casue you to taste things differently.