Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Someone please help, Ears, Nose & Throat trouble

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Almost 2 years ago,  my throat felt very dried out and became hard to swallow. I had to carry water with me constantly. About 1 week into that i lost my voice for about 1 week. That turned into a tickle in my throat that would make me cough when laying down. I went to the Dr.'s and he said, my ears were filled with fluid and about to rupture. That it was viral in nature and would clear up after my ears ruptured. My ears did rupture repeatedly. Every time they would heal they would fill right back up again.  And more and more problems kept showing up.I started getting  a severe pain deep in my ear with an ungoddly itch that felt like it was in my throat and deep in my skull. A severe pain in the back of my head more towards the right side but in the middle. Some numbness below my jawline on both sides of face. A feeling that my face was about to cave in, Vertigo that would keep me in bed for days. ringing in my ear. inner and outer ear infections. blood taste in my mouth. And very hard crystal looking discharging from my ear. Im sure there is more but anyways 7 Dr.s all said, there was nothing wrong. I demanded a cat scan, nothing wrong.  Months later my 17 year old son son was reading the cat scan and said, go back and tell them to due another   cat scan but check  sinuses not a brain scan. And have them prescribe you prednisone because your auditory tubes are blocked.  So they gave me the prednisone and it felt like it was clearing up. But not completely. The cat scan revealed cysts in the sphlenoid sinuses. I was sent to another specialist. he put me on an 8 week course of antibiotics and during this time my ears filled completely back up again.  He told me he was baffled and didn't know what else to do.  And that the cysts were no big deal.The only thing that helps is the prednisone but it doesn't clear up completely. I feel that the blockage is in my throat. I do spit up a lot of blood. and  hard mucus and hard black  things. These things also come out of my nose and ears.It seems like no one is interested in helping me. and i am about to loose my mind. They just keep running the same test. 2 cat scans 4 hearing tests. I have tried to read up on all of this but upper respiratory and sinuses seem very complicated. I believe that the blockage is in the nasal pharynx or maybe a fungus but i am not a Dr. and can't seem to get anyone to listen to my symptoms.. I specialists told me that all that  was happening was  impossible. and there was nothing wrong. Not 1 Dr. has done a swab and tested any of the discharge from ears. nose or throat. What do i do???? I can't take much more of this !!! What other tests could be done. Some one please help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, your symptoms could be due to chronic otitis media, which can cause repeated discharge from the ear. And yes, you may need a culture and sensitivity test done on the discharge. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear infection. Sometimes there could be a Eustachian tube dysfunction, which can cause repeated blockage to the ears and further build of fluid in the ears and infection. So, please consult your primary care physician first, from there you can proceed with referrals. Good luck with your therapy. Regards.