Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sore Throat Continuing After Bad Cold

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sore Throat Continuing After Bad Cold

This question does not pertain to me, but to my mother.

My mother had a bad cold that she caught from me a couple of weeks back and it pretty much cleared up within about five days like usual. She gets bronchitis from it and she was coughing rather badly and consistently the whole duration of the cold. However, its now been almost two weeks and she hasn't been coughing hardly at all any more, but she is complaining of a very sore throat, and she says it is mainly in the back of her throat, but the back and front of her tongue also feels sore, she describes it as the same feeling you get after you burn your tongue after drinking something too hot.

The soreness is persistent throughout the day and lemon and honey seems to help to a degree, but it does not cure the problem.

Any thoughts on this? Possibly any ENT specialists on here?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and opinions!
Tags: constant sore throat, throat soreness, Cold, Bronchitis, bad cough, Coughing
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your mother? What other symptoms are present? Sore throat may be attributed to viral or bacterial infection, allergy, tonsillitis, mouth breathing, smoking, strep throat or even from gastrointestinal issues such as reflux. Treatment usually depends on the cause. Drinking plenty of fluids, medicated lozenges and warm saline gargle may help provide relief. Over-the-counter pain relievers may also help. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination is important. Take care and do keep us posted.