Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sore scab in nose wont go away...been a rough ride...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Here is the story,

I have had a sore in my left nostril for years now towards the cartilage.  No, its not from coke or anything as I have never done anything like that.  I get a scab, I blow it out of my nose, and it comes back 12hrs to 24hrs later. I tried to explain that it blows out on a regular basis.  Sometimes I pick it out and it bleeds.  I use saline spray and saline gel on a regular basis and have used vasaline, bacitracin, and antifungal steroid creme.    

I have gone to 2 ENT specialists.  1st one told me not to pick my scab and it will heal.  Well that’s pretty much impossible because I blow my nose and it comes out (if I keep it lubricated).  Also, the scab covers my airway and is unbearable.  2nd doc cauterized my nose to “shock it” and stimulate cell growth.  It didn’t work.  Was painful as heck and then I found out I was allergic to basitracin.  I then had Nose surgery for a biopsy, and it came back negative, so no cancer (yay!).  He said that is seems like the cells aren’t normal in my nose so it isn’t healing right.

Here is the problem though, from the biopsy, he cut up my nose, and now that area he cut out will not heal either.  So he took a small area that wouldn’t heal, and made it much larger.  As disgusting as this sounds, it forms a scab and oddly resembles a craisin in size and color.  It is like a blood clot and the scab gets so large it blocks my airway, but now it is so far back from the surgery that I cant even see the sore in the mirror.  

I went to the ENT for a follow up, but I ended up seeing another doctor and they told me to just keep it moist.  It was typical but useless advice because it just keeps scabbing up!  Anyways, I am seeing the ENT that did my surgery on Friday, and I hope he has some sort of solution.  It just doesn’t make sense, some weeks I try to leave it alone for a couple days, and it feels like it might scab up and never come back, then I blow the scab out and it feels completely gone!  But then it comes back within a day.  

I am mentally and physically exhausted from this nose issue   I feel like I have done everything in my power, and it is even worse than when I started.  Any advice or related stories are welcomed.  
Tags: scab, sore, wont, heal, nose
I have had the same problem for almost 4 years now. I feel your pain.  I hope someone can provide us some help with this issue.
I have had this problem with a scab and blowing it out for about 15 years.  I never thought anything of it until recently started to have extreme nosebleeds.  The other day I was washing my face and nose started to bleed.  Called the nurse line on my insurance and she told me to call 911.  I felt dumb calling 911 for a nosebleed but it was pretty severe and was going on 8 hours.  I was coughing up clots from the blood in my throat.  Anyway in ER they told me to keep it moist.  I had been keeping it moist with vaseline.  I am seeing my pcp on Monday  3/23 and hopefully she can shed some light into this situation because I am afraid of blowing my nose or touching my face.  As always, the scab is back and all the doc could tell me was it was a dry spot in my nose.  If you are interested in what my pcp has to say let me know and I will tell you.
I have had the same problem for about 2 years now =(  My ENT just keeps putting me on antibiotics to help get rid of the infection. After about 10 different antibiotics, its still the same. I refuse to keep taking them and now all he has for me is an ointment. It helps for a period of time, but then it comes back. My dr. said it was an ulcer in the nose and that it only takes time. Ive been looking into surgery, but after reading your clip, I dont know if that is such a good idea!
I have the exact same problem. It started about 3 weeks ago when i had a flu. I just assumed my nose was sore from the constant blowing. My nose is quite tender and starting to swell and go a bit red on the outside. The scab on the inside keeps bleeding when it peels off or when i blow my nose. Some people have suggested it may be coldsores but after reading many stories on the net I've realised it must be a more severe case. Please update on any information you receive. I will be visiting a Dr. soon however, i believe i will receive the same outcome as everyone else....antibiotics or an ointment.
I have had this problem for over 25 years now. I saw a dr for it about 15 years ago. He said nothing really works but to cauterize the nose.

Cauterize
To use heat or chemicals to stop bleeding, prevent the spread of infection, or destroy tissue.

That sounded bad so I skipped it. The dryer it gets the worse it is. It is just very annoying. I often wonder if it causes issues with my sleep.
I also had a sore in my nose that made the inside of my nose crusty and dry (scab and snot?) and wouldn't heal, it was so irritating.  Someone recommended Lansinoh, a pure form of lanolin, used by nursing mothers.  It works!  First, it moistened my nostril so it felt natural (I used it 2x a day to start) and then my nose just steadily improved till 10 days later its healed.
Its over the counter and not that expensive.  I recommend it!
why didnt a dr. respond?? my experience is similar! ive been on a topical antibiotics now  for 2 weeks. it doesnt scab up while on it, but stays soft and i can take a flash light and see it in my nose. it is a white scabby looking area. it doesnt look any better, just not hard. the biggest thing the antibiotic seemed to help was a stinging feeling on the top of may head. (hopefully nerve related) and i had a slight ear ache.
I've had a large scan on the inside of my nose for a week and a half now, it feels likes its on the cartilage, it's pretty much impossible to heal because when i wake up in the morning my left nostril is almost blocked solid.  I have to pick out a bit of crusties and then try to get rid of the scab blocking my airway... Its like there's no more skin or something, and whenever it tries to heal my nose just gets blocked... Waking up with a nostril full of dry blood and mucus/snot is driving me insane. Plz help
So, I don't know if we are talking about the same thing but I get those nose scabs in the inside cartilage of my nostril. I have gotten them on and off for years! Seems like one day I will just realize it's gone... but it always comes back! The worst is when I wake up in the morning, it feels all "caked" and is hard to breath (I'm a total picker too) I pick the nasty and always loose the scab.

So, this one that I have had for months now, I think I figured them out!

What I do...
* Anytime it feels dry, take a little Mentholatum (grandmas cure for everything) and put it on a q-tip, wipe it genitally on the sore, I usually do both sides to make it even.
* This will keep it moist, the longer you use that, the less you have to apply... I am down to once a day....
*** I think I also figured out why I get them! So I noticed that I always have a runny nose, just a little runny though. I also always wipe my nose with the back of my hand or my sleeve (sorry, gross but true) I bought a ton of Kleenex and put them in every room, including my car and desk at work. I made myself conscious of my runny nose and now I grab a soft Kleenex and DAB, don't rub!

Mine is getting better, almost gone! Just a little sore, but not even scabby! I hope this helps you all! If you are going to the doctor, and have had this forever, mention that it my be impetigo... seems like it can be created from dirty boogies~
Good luck everyone! Please let me know if this works for you! Hey, It's worth a try right?
It's kind of comforting that I'm not the only one with this annoying problem. I'm kind of freaking out though because you had it checked for cancer, (glad that came back as good news for you). I've had my scab for a few years and I'm sick and tired of coming out of my bathroom every morning with a wad of tissue stuffed up my nose to stop the bleeding. I'm going to try a few things (preferably all natural) and I'll let you know how it works.
I've had that, it gets worse in the spring and fall when my allergies are really bad.

A small swab of cortison cream over the sore (when the scab is freshly off) and slather in diaper cream...works practically overnight, sore gone.  If that doesn't work try neosporin and put smear of diaper cream over it (with zinc)
hi, all the comments are exactly what i have been going through for years - went to a ENT specialist 4 months ago - tried Kenatome - sort of helped but my ENT said only solution is a plug either side of the septum as it had gone right through.   I had this done last week (June 2012) and it seems fine - only took 10 mins in his rooms, no pain - cost just a regular dr visit and he said he has done this for hundreds of patients and they stay in forever.   I must say so so nice not to wake up to a stuffed nose / blow or pick so i can breathe then a blood bath and kleenex stuffed up my nose.

Look into it -- it works and no more problems.    hope this helps.

Great info guys!  I have had my nose cauterized...It's where they stick acid on the end of a wooden applicator and the chemical burns the bleeding blood vessel, it helped on one side, but the other side is just as dry as can be.  I am a Student Nurse and during Micro-Biology we swabbed and cultured the inside of our noses.  I tested positive for MRSA.  For about 2-3 weeks I showered with Hibiclens (OTC & Walgreens has their own less expensive brand) **(let the soap sit on your skin for at least a minute, pay close attention to arm pit and pubic regions (warm and moist) as this is where the germs love to hide).  I also used Mupirocen ointment in my nose.  Well, tested again and no CA-MRSA.  But the scab is still there!  
Any updates from anyone? I have had this excact issue for over 7 years now. It was on both sides originally but it went away on the right side and got worse on the left. It causes constant pain in my head and teeth (effects my trigeminal nerve which was irritated after my wisdom teeth came out). I have headaches all the time which are worse after blowing/picking. I cannot believe there are so many people with this issue and no cure. I hope to find a natural solution as well but I can't even get a good diagnosis. The ENT I saw told me it was a staph infection and there is nothing that I can do about it except use Bacitran (an ointment intended for dry skin) which might lesson it a little.
I have had the same problem for years and I have finally found the root cause for myself.  It turned out to be dairy causing the problem.  I would never go a day without one nostril being fully clogged and by accident I discovered what was causing the problem.  I started exercising and as a result started to cut out fat in my diet.  Most importantly dairy products.  I switched from drinking milk to vanilla almond milk (gross at first, but love it now), cheese (cut down on the pizza) and took out the cream and started going black with my coffee's.  Well, within week or two I noticed that when I laid down at night or got up in the morning my nose never gets plugged and doesn't run nearly as much as it use to run.  The scab is still comes back, BUT it is really small and takes a long time before I need to pick at it or it interferes with my breathing.  It definitely doesn't build up as quickly as it use to and I am assuming this is because with the lack of dairy my nose doesn't run as often as it use to run.  I haven't taken myself 100% off dairy  as that has been really hard, but with the reduction I have made it has definitely made a HUGE difference to this problem that had been driving me nuts for years. Give it a shot and report back in a couple of weeks to let others know whether or not  dairy was your problem as well.  Would be nice if this was the problem for several of you as well.  Good luck
oh man I just read my biography! I'm going to try cortison, diaper cream (eww), mentholatum-ya for grandmas!, and lansinoh! Hopefully, one of these works! I'll post back with results! Just yesterday I was told by another doctor do not use Neosporin when it has been recommended by my pcp and a pharmacist! geez who to believe but I do still have this on going pita!

Thanks all!
i agree with the dairy products.  I am 60 years old -  about 10 years ago I started having problems of dry skin, including inside of my nose, and eczema on my hands and back.  I changed to goats milk, which has helped a lot but not totally cured it.  I think the answer lies here with foods, especially dairy products and, instead of finding a cure, try to find the cause by changing and introducing  alternative products
I had this as well... I had two areas in my left nostril. One was really high up in my nose, the other near the entrance. Now I've had these for probably over a decade or more. I saw one ENT and they said it was a wart (they said they were guessing, they were going to burn it out). I said, nah, I'm good and left. I actually got one of those dry ice wart applicators to cauterize it... it worked. 4-5 years later it came back. Then a few years later one higher up came into existence. I went to a new ENT, and he cauterized with this stuff (forgot name) but it was put on a very small q-tip. It healed completely, it's been over 2 years. I'm going to have him do the one near my nostril entrance.

Reason as to why this happens. Deviated septum perhaps? When you breath in the air sometimes hits the internal area of the nose, where it's tender and is just blood vessels so it dries out. So basically have your septum fixed, or learn to love ointment and blowing out scabs. Maybe you're lucky like me and it was just a scab that couldn't heal without cauterizing. A broken blood vessel that won't heal.
This may be long, but I tell you what i know. I was in the Navy in early 90's, I was assigned fire watch for two weeks, in the bottom of a aircraft carrier in 1992. Every night when I went back to the barracks, I would wash my nose out. My nose was filled with black smut from the arc-gouging they were doing. At the end of the two weeks, both of my nostrils developed sores in the center wall, both sides.

Days, months, then years went by. Around 2005 or so, my left nostril healed...yeah! However my right nostril still today has scar tissue. The scar tissue bothers me, so I peel it out, this is not easy to do. Sometimes it bleeds profusely if I catch it wrong. Sometimes it doesn't bleed. At any rate, it's sore to touch and the nerves are connected to my teeth on that side.

I'm going to try Ayr again. Maybe I should just leave it alone. It's amazing how fast the scar tissue grows, in two days there was another new layer. One reason I keep pulling it out, is hoping it won't come back. That's how I remember the left side becoming scar free, one day it was just a small piece then, and I didn't mess with it too much after that and it slowly went away.

I worry about infections, now that I'm 42, gotta stay healthy! Hope yours got better!
Have had this for about 2 years now, off and on... don't know what it's from. My boyfriend gets it too but doesn't seem as bad or as often as I get it. It's like a paper cut at the end of my nose but goes inside the nostril as well where it forms a larger scab. It can be one spot or a few at one time. OUCH! It will seem to heal but keeps coming back...???
This is amazing to me that people replied to my original post!  I totally didnt see this for 6 yrs, its crazy to me that 6 years have past!! unfortunately I have no progress to report :(  It is still a huge problem for me daily.  I have not been back to the ENT in years, but my wife is now a nurse, so as soon as medical kicks in I will start to go back, i really want a solution! I have sent her this thread and will try many of your solutions mentioned!!  I am truely thankful i made this post years ago, to know other suffer the same way as I do make me feel at home (oddly enough!) and I hope we can find a common solution!  Cheers to all of you!
I am going crazy with my nose problems.  I too have the sores and tenderness described here in detail, but the worst park is the constant urge to pick.. It makes me crazy and I can't even get a full nights sleep.Seeing my ENT tomorrow and going to beg her for some relief beyond the oily sprays and creams. I wish somebody a had an answer for me.
I have been convinced all day that I have nose cancer. After reading all of these posts, I will sleep better!!  It's so annoying!
I have had this problem on and off, scab never seems to heal. I use betnovate crème (which I use on and off for eczema). This works pretty quickly and the problem goes away - - till it returns a month or so later - then another dab of crème  works again. It appears to be a  Staphylococcus infection the bacteria of which lives in the nose  and there does not appear to be much you can do about it other than crème.
I have this problem as well.   The sore in my nose has been there for about one year.  I just went to a ENT and he did a biopsy. He cauterized the sore while I was there.  Three days later I got the results, no cancer.  A friend of mine is an ER doctor and he said nose cancers are very rare.   ENT gave me a lubricant called "NasoGel"  for  my sore nose.  He also prescribed Loratab for the pain.  My nose really hurts sometimes.  He didn't have any further suggestions.  My doctor friend told me to stop using "Flonase"  for a couple of weeks.  He said that could be making it worse.  Will see.  
Same problem for over 5 years. The cure is to keep your fingers out of your nose! Sleep with a cool mist vaporizer with distiled water. This is a cure!
I am also surprised so many individuals have this same problem.  I didn't realize how long I have had this until my sister pointed it out- it is well over 5 years.  It is starting to be a little bit of a crater. I went to an ENT who said this is very common and is caused by the way the air goes into your nose. If I keep it moisturized (lotion, antibiotic oint, Vaseline etc) it almost looks healed but if I miss a day or two without moisturizer it is back in full force. However I am wondering about some type of infection complicating things.  Hmmm... Hibiclens in the nose that could be a possibility.  has anyone tried that?
I have a sore in my nose that has seemed to spread superficially into the sinus cavity (where the hole is), and it bleeds when touched. I am worried about nasal cancer. My nose issue has been constant for 18 years now (picked at it for first time in 1995). The bleeding of the sore started in 2005. I am currently using ointment to try & clear it up, but it is such a crusty mess when i touch it with a q-tip it comes out with fresh blood on it. I am scared ********! Cancer is what i'm thinking...praying I am wrong. Go back to Dr. In 2 weeks, if not healed, on to a dermatologist. Whatever you believe in, please say a little prayer for me. Thanks & much luck to you all!
So I just googled "nose bleed won't heal" and found this community and I appreciate all the knowledge shared.  My problem started with a huge nose bleed--large blood clots the size of my fingers kept coming out for several minutes--very scary!  That was about 5 years ago and I get nose bleeds about once a month from the same sore inside same nostril in a location that sounds very similar to many of your sores.  I sometimes feel the large blood clots going down the back of my throat and almost choke.  GROSS.  So I think I will try the lansinoh, the betnovate, and some your other advice above.  And the next time I have a physical I'm going to ask about it, hope it isn't staph.  Thanks for everyone's feedback.  
I just had surgery due to chronic sinus infection and developed these non-healing scabs that everyone is complaining about.  The first thing in the morning, I would have huge crusty scabs inside my nose.  At first I tried removing them so I could breath through my nose.  When they came back the next night, I tried leaving them, thinking they would heal.  I tried Bactroban Ointment, Vaseline, ect., but as soon as the scabs got moist they would come out anyway.  Then, to keep them from coming out and still be able to breath, I tried one of those breathing strips on the outside of my nose.  The next morning there was a huge difference in the healing.  The scab-plugs didn't form overnight.  I had a thin skin over the wounds instead.  I'm going to try it again tonight and hopefully it will heal completely.  I think when your nasal passages are narrow due to swelling (allergies, trama, etc.) your body thinks you have a gaping wound that needs to be filled, unfortunately, its your nose.  Then, I think the type of scab that forms is designed to fill in and heal the hole, which would probably be great if you had a hole in your leg or arm.  The next morning, the natural nasal secretions won't let the scab stay on and it's mostly just held by your nose hair anyway, so it comes right off and you start all over again.  I'm going to tell my ENT as soon as I go to my next appointment.  Nothing came out of my nose this morning and I feel so much better not having those nerves in my nose open to the air and making my face and teeth hurt.  I don't usually post to these things, but it seems like so many suffer from the same thing.  I hope this helps others.  Good luck to everyone.  
dear all it's seem that you are on the same platform as me so i am also suffering from nasal congestion  and there is sore inside my nose which we called polyp it's just like ball made of blood which swell and block your nose .I had previously suffering from this sore the easy way is to used Neil Med products which is the beneficial now a days my suggestion is that not use the steroids and try to push your gp towards nasal endoscopy or balloon surgery I know that some doctors especially GP your said this is useless but when i got my operation i get 70% benefit from  surgery so try neil med it's clear your cavities and repair your sore don't scab it. I know it's irritate you it's like itchy skin more you scab more it worst  and balloon surgery is the latest surgery if you are in uk the best i refer is Dr Michael Wareng  in London halley street he has the facility for ballon surgery and nose endoscopy but privately it  is costly consult fees 250 gbp otherwise if you get any better solution kindly tell me as well an always consult your doctor to do any step thanks a lot GOD bless you all and cure your problems
Same problem here. Had it for 3 weeks. Scab and blood. I have no cure but will try some that the others have tried.
Usually in the winter time I have itchy legs. Hot water helps for a couple hours. I just figured my nose was something like my itching legs.
wow, this is a big issue, well last week I found out that staff lives in all our noses but the bad MRSA is the one that causes the sores that once you pick it off, or blow your nose and it comes off, your body sends the healing liquid that has your own antibiotic in it.  It creates a large light yellow scab, then it is hard to breath, hurts and you start all over picking it off the next day, I was tired of driving down the street, trying to get the scab out for the last time. Or when I put makeup on, it shows cracks in my lower nostril.....always uncomfortable, wondering if it is cancer, very embarrassing, anyway, back to MRSA, I just dabbed a small amount of mupirocin 2% ointment prescribed by PCP, and it is gone!!!!!  not sure for how long, but I am so happy I'm not the nose picker anymore, hopefully they do not come back, but if they do, I will use the ointment.......mine come and go, not always in the same spot, but so glad it healed so quick
So glad I am not the only one with this! I thought it could be a herpes lesion but Valcyclovir is not doing anything for it. I hope it is not a re occurrence of shingles. Have a lesion bump on my rt ear lobe that is sore. I will try ti ideas mentioned above. My nose thingy is the same as nearly all of your described. White circle on the cartilage, cut near the edge of my nostril, large very hard scabby thing which interferes with breathing. All came after a winter cold.
I took out the huge scab last night and it has not come back but my nose is sore. Ick!
Eileen
**PLEASE READ - I GOT RELIEF!!!**

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to the person who recommended the cream nursing mothers use for cracked nipples! Not sure which forum I read it on or which site even but It worked, almost immediately, I'm talking overnight! The active ingredient needed is Lanolin which I purchased for $4.49 and mixed with a non-petroleum based jelly (vegetable based but you could use vaseline). The drug store product for cracked nipples cost $12.99 but the U.S.P. Lanolin was much cheaper and did the trick! It was in the baby care section of the store, near the diapers etc. I dabbed the mixture on the sore inside my nose and I swear it was better in a few hours and almost completely healed overnight. Worth a try as I had this sore on and off for almost a year. GOOD LUCK!
Please read my comment below!
I don't know where these scabs came from or what caused them.   I have them in both nostrils.   The right is bigger.    I pick at them because they are driving me crazy!    But then they start to hurt.     I will try the baby diaper cream and lanolin and Vaseline, I hope these things work.  
Everyone should look into Manuka honey. It has amazing anti-bacterial properties as has worked like a charm for me.
I have had a similar issue which started as a small sore inside the opening of my nose that seemed to sting and came and went with no real rhyme or reason.  Then it started happening in the other nostril, and it would cycle back and forth between the two for several months.  It felt like cracked skin, kind of stinging and annoying, but that's about it.  The M.D. had nothing to say, almost didn't seem to believe me as it was very hard to see at that time.  Fast forward two years, with the problem coming and going over that time.  Recently, I began having scabbing that is very painful and will not go away. It was more crusty feeling, and my nasal passages felt very dry.  I tried picking them out, they'd come right back.  I tried lubricating the areas, using coconut oil, neosporin, aquaphor, non-petroleum based jelly, I even slept with a humidifier on, nothing worked beyond temporary relief.  Finally, I stumbled across some info online that I hadn't found before.  At a visit with my kid's pediatrician, I asked him to take a look and he confirmed that it could be "Nasal Impetigo," which is basically caused by Staph or combo Staph and Strep bacterium.  He prescribed me an antibiotic ointment called Mupirocin, that is applied topically three times a day for two weeks.  I'm on my 6th day now and I can say I have finally found relief!  I can't believe it took me two years to get to this point, and that I had to diagnose myself!  
So if any of this sounds familiar to you, do a google search for "Nasal Impetigo," and if it still sounds like you, call your doc and ask if that's what could be causing your problem too.  I hope you find relief too.
S
So glad I found this thread. I had a sore in my nostril that just would not heal. Horrible nose bleeds including an especially nasty one in the middle night. I started putting lanolin (Lanosoe brand) in my nostril in the morning and again at bedtime. Within a week it was noticeably better. The nose bleeds stopped and within three weeks it was completely healed. Can't thank everyone on here enough or recommend lanolin strongly enough!