Sore scab in nose wont go away...been a rough ride...
Here is the story,

I have had a sore in my left nostril for years now towards the cartilage.  No, its not from coke or anything as I have never done anything like that.  I get a scab, I blow it out of my nose, and it comes back 12hrs to 24hrs later. I tried to explain that it blows out on a regular basis.  Sometimes I pick it out and it bleeds.  I use saline spray and saline gel on a regular basis and have used vasaline, bacitracin, and antifungal steroid creme.    

I have gone to 2 ENT specialists.  1st one told me not to pick my scab and it will heal.  Well that’s pretty much impossible because I blow my nose and it comes out (if I keep it lubricated).  Also, the scab covers my airway and is unbearable.  2nd doc cauterized my nose to “shock it” and stimulate cell growth.  It didn’t work.  Was painful as heck and then I found out I was allergic to basitracin.  I then had Nose surgery for a biopsy, and it came back negative, so no cancer (yay!).  He said that is seems like the cells aren’t normal in my nose so it isn’t healing right.

Here is the problem though, from the biopsy, he cut up my nose, and now that area he cut out will not heal either.  So he took a small area that wouldn’t heal, and made it much larger.  As disgusting as this sounds, it forms a scab and oddly resembles a craisin in size and color.  It is like a blood clot and the scab gets so large it blocks my airway, but now it is so far back from the surgery that I cant even see the sore in the mirror.  

I went to the ENT for a follow up, but I ended up seeing another doctor and they told me to just keep it moist.  It was typical but useless advice because it just keeps scabbing up!  Anyways, I am seeing the ENT that did my surgery on Friday, and I hope he has some sort of solution.  It just doesn’t make sense, some weeks I try to leave it alone for a couple days, and it feels like it might scab up and never come back, then I blow the scab out and it feels completely gone!  But then it comes back within a day.  

I am mentally and physically exhausted from this nose issue   I feel like I have done everything in my power, and it is even worse than when I started.  Any advice or related stories are welcomed.  
I have had the same problem for almost 4 years now. I feel your pain.  I hope someone can provide us some help with this issue.
I have had this problem with a scab and blowing it out for about 15 years.  I never thought anything of it until recently started to have extreme nosebleeds.  The other day I was washing my face and nose started to bleed.  Called the nurse line on my insurance and she told me to call 911.  I felt dumb calling 911 for a nosebleed but it was pretty severe and was going on 8 hours.  I was coughing up clots from the blood in my throat.  Anyway in ER they told me to keep it moist.  I had been keeping it moist with vaseline.  I am seeing my pcp on Monday  3/23 and hopefully she can shed some light into this situation because I am afraid of blowing my nose or touching my face.  As always, the scab is back and all the doc could tell me was it was a dry spot in my nose.  If you are interested in what my pcp has to say let me know and I will tell you.
I have had the same problem for about 2 years now =(  My ENT just keeps putting me on antibiotics to help get rid of the infection. After about 10 different antibiotics, its still the same. I refuse to keep taking them and now all he has for me is an ointment. It helps for a period of time, but then it comes back. My dr. said it was an ulcer in the nose and that it only takes time. Ive been looking into surgery, but after reading your clip, I dont know if that is such a good idea!
I have the exact same problem. It started about 3 weeks ago when i had a flu. I just assumed my nose was sore from the constant blowing. My nose is quite tender and starting to swell and go a bit red on the outside. The scab on the inside keeps bleeding when it peels off or when i blow my nose. Some people have suggested it may be coldsores but after reading many stories on the net I've realised it must be a more severe case. Please update on any information you receive. I will be visiting a Dr. soon however, i believe i will receive the same outcome as everyone else....antibiotics or an ointment.
I have had this problem for over 25 years now. I saw a dr for it about 15 years ago. He said nothing really works but to cauterize the nose.

Cauterize
To use heat or chemicals to stop bleeding, prevent the spread of infection, or destroy tissue.

That sounded bad so I skipped it. The dryer it gets the worse it is. It is just very annoying. I often wonder if it causes issues with my sleep.
I also had a sore in my nose that made the inside of my nose crusty and dry (scab and snot?) and wouldn't heal, it was so irritating.  Someone recommended Lansinoh, a pure form of lanolin, used by nursing mothers.  It works!  First, it moistened my nostril so it felt natural (I used it 2x a day to start) and then my nose just steadily improved till 10 days later its healed.
Its over the counter and not that expensive.  I recommend it!
why didnt a dr. respond?? my experience is similar! ive been on a topical antibiotics now  for 2 weeks. it doesnt scab up while on it, but stays soft and i can take a flash light and see it in my nose. it is a white scabby looking area. it doesnt look any better, just not hard. the biggest thing the antibiotic seemed to help was a stinging feeling on the top of may head. (hopefully nerve related) and i had a slight ear ache.
I've had a large scan on the inside of my nose for a week and a half now, it feels likes its on the cartilage, it's pretty much impossible to heal because when i wake up in the morning my left nostril is almost blocked solid.  I have to pick out a bit of crusties and then try to get rid of the scab blocking my airway... Its like there's no more skin or something, and whenever it tries to heal my nose just gets blocked... Waking up with a nostril full of dry blood and mucus/snot is driving me insane. Plz help
So, I don't know if we are talking about the same thing but I get those nose scabs in the inside cartilage of my nostril. I have gotten them on and off for years! Seems like one day I will just realize it's gone... but it always comes back! The worst is when I wake up in the morning, it feels all "caked" and is hard to breath (I'm a total picker too) I pick the nasty and always loose the scab.

So, this one that I have had for months now, I think I figured them out!

What I do...
* Anytime it feels dry, take a little Mentholatum (grandmas cure for everything) and put it on a q-tip, wipe it genitally on the sore, I usually do both sides to make it even.
* This will keep it moist, the longer you use that, the less you have to apply... I am down to once a day....
*** I think I also figured out why I get them! So I noticed that I always have a runny nose, just a little runny though. I also always wipe my nose with the back of my hand or my sleeve (sorry, gross but true) I bought a ton of Kleenex and put them in every room, including my car and desk at work. I made myself conscious of my runny nose and now I grab a soft Kleenex and DAB, don't rub!

Mine is getting better, almost gone! Just a little sore, but not even scabby! I hope this helps you all! If you are going to the doctor, and have had this forever, mention that it my be impetigo... seems like it can be created from dirty boogies~
Good luck everyone! Please let me know if this works for you! Hey, It's worth a try right?
It's kind of comforting that I'm not the only one with this annoying problem. I'm kind of freaking out though because you had it checked for cancer, (glad that came back as good news for you). I've had my scab for a few years and I'm sick and tired of coming out of my bathroom every morning with a wad of tissue stuffed up my nose to stop the bleeding. I'm going to try a few things (preferably all natural) and I'll let you know how it works.
I've had that, it gets worse in the spring and fall when my allergies are really bad.

A small swab of cortison cream over the sore (when the scab is freshly off) and slather in diaper cream...works practically overnight, sore gone.  If that doesn't work try neosporin and put smear of diaper cream over it (with zinc)
hi, all the comments are exactly what i have been going through for years - went to a ENT specialist 4 months ago - tried Kenatome - sort of helped but my ENT said only solution is a plug either side of the septum as it had gone right through.   I had this done last week (June 2012) and it seems fine - only took 10 mins in his rooms, no pain - cost just a regular dr visit and he said he has done this for hundreds of patients and they stay in forever.   I must say so so nice not to wake up to a stuffed nose / blow or pick so i can breathe then a blood bath and kleenex stuffed up my nose.

Look into it -- it works and no more problems.    hope this helps.

Great info guys!  I have had my nose cauterized...It's where they stick acid on the end of a wooden applicator and the chemical burns the bleeding blood vessel, it helped on one side, but the other side is just as dry as can be.  I am a Student Nurse and during Micro-Biology we swabbed and cultured the inside of our noses.  I tested positive for MRSA.  For about 2-3 weeks I showered with Hibiclens (OTC & Walgreens has their own less expensive brand) **(let the soap sit on your skin for at least a minute, pay close attention to arm pit and pubic regions (warm and moist) as this is where the germs love to hide).  I also used Mupirocen ointment in my nose.  Well, tested again and no CA-MRSA.  But the scab is still there!  
Any updates from anyone? I have had this excact issue for over 7 years now. It was on both sides originally but it went away on the right side and got worse on the left. It causes constant pain in my head and teeth (effects my trigeminal nerve which was irritated after my wisdom teeth came out). I have headaches all the time which are worse after blowing/picking. I cannot believe there are so many people with this issue and no cure. I hope to find a natural solution as well but I can't even get a good diagnosis. The ENT I saw told me it was a staph infection and there is nothing that I can do about it except use Bacitran (an ointment intended for dry skin) which might lesson it a little.
I have had the same problem for years and I have finally found the root cause for myself.  It turned out to be dairy causing the problem.  I would never go a day without one nostril being fully clogged and by accident I discovered what was causing the problem.  I started exercising and as a result started to cut out fat in my diet.  Most importantly dairy products.  I switched from drinking milk to vanilla almond milk (gross at first, but love it now), cheese (cut down on the pizza) and took out the cream and started going black with my coffee's.  Well, within week or two I noticed that when I laid down at night or got up in the morning my nose never gets plugged and doesn't run nearly as much as it use to run.  The scab is still comes back, BUT it is really small and takes a long time before I need to pick at it or it interferes with my breathing.  It definitely doesn't build up as quickly as it use to and I am assuming this is because with the lack of dairy my nose doesn't run as often as it use to run.  I haven't taken myself 100% off dairy  as that has been really hard, but with the reduction I have made it has definitely made a HUGE difference to this problem that had been driving me nuts for years. Give it a shot and report back in a couple of weeks to let others know whether or not  dairy was your problem as well.  Would be nice if this was the problem for several of you as well.  Good luck
oh man I just read my biography! I'm going to try cortison, diaper cream (eww), mentholatum-ya for grandmas!, and lansinoh! Hopefully, one of these works! I'll post back with results! Just yesterday I was told by another doctor do not use Neosporin when it has been recommended by my pcp and a pharmacist! geez who to believe but I do still have this on going pita!

Thanks all!
i agree with the dairy products.  I am 60 years old -  about 10 years ago I started having problems of dry skin, including inside of my nose, and eczema on my hands and back.  I changed to goats milk, which has helped a lot but not totally cured it.  I think the answer lies here with foods, especially dairy products and, instead of finding a cure, try to find the cause by changing and introducing  alternative products
I had this as well... I had two areas in my left nostril. One was really high up in my nose, the other near the entrance. Now I've had these for probably over a decade or more. I saw one ENT and they said it was a wart (they said they were guessing, they were going to burn it out). I said, nah, I'm good and left. I actually got one of those dry ice wart applicators to cauterize it... it worked. 4-5 years later it came back. Then a few years later one higher up came into existence. I went to a new ENT, and he cauterized with this stuff (forgot name) but it was put on a very small q-tip. It healed completely, it's been over 2 years. I'm going to have him do the one near my nostril entrance.

Reason as to why this happens. Deviated septum perhaps? When you breath in the air sometimes hits the internal area of the nose, where it's tender and is just blood vessels so it dries out. So basically have your septum fixed, or learn to love ointment and blowing out scabs. Maybe you're lucky like me and it was just a scab that couldn't heal without cauterizing. A broken blood vessel that won't heal.
This may be long, but I tell you what i know. I was in the Navy in early 90's, I was assigned fire watch for two weeks, in the bottom of a aircraft carrier in 1992. Every night when I went back to the barracks, I would wash my nose out. My nose was filled with black smut from the arc-gouging they were doing. At the end of the two weeks, both of my nostrils developed sores in the center wall, both sides.

Days, months, then years went by. Around 2005 or so, my left nostril healed...yeah! However my right nostril still today has scar tissue. The scar tissue bothers me, so I peel it out, this is not easy to do. Sometimes it bleeds profusely if I catch it wrong. Sometimes it doesn't bleed. At any rate, it's sore to touch and the nerves are connected to my teeth on that side.

I'm going to try Ayr again. Maybe I should just leave it alone. It's amazing how fast the scar tissue grows, in two days there was another new layer. One reason I keep pulling it out, is hoping it won't come back. That's how I remember the left side becoming scar free, one day it was just a small piece then, and I didn't mess with it too much after that and it slowly went away.

I worry about infections, now that I'm 42, gotta stay healthy! Hope yours got better!
Have had this for about 2 years now, off and on... don't know what it's from. My boyfriend gets it too but doesn't seem as bad or as often as I get it. It's like a paper cut at the end of my nose but goes inside the nostril as well where it forms a larger scab. It can be one spot or a few at one time. OUCH! It will seem to heal but keeps coming back...???
This is amazing to me that people replied to my original post!  I totally didnt see this for 6 yrs, its crazy to me that 6 years have past!! unfortunately I have no progress to report :(  It is still a huge problem for me daily.  I have not been back to the ENT in years, but my wife is now a nurse, so as soon as medical kicks in I will start to go back, i really want a solution! I have sent her this thread and will try many of your solutions mentioned!!  I am truely thankful i made this post years ago, to know other suffer the same way as I do make me feel at home (oddly enough!) and I hope we can find a common solution!  Cheers to all of you!
And it's still going....I can't believe so many with the same condition, including me, unfortunately. I am on oxygen and unfortunately I have to be super careful not to use anything that may be petroleum based products.  Very dangerous for me. A known carcinogen that I don't need blasted into my lungs. I know of one water based gel that's safe for people on oxygen and it's not cheap. I will look into the lanolin, and be tested for mersa and impetigo.  A big Thank you for all the suggestions
I am going crazy with my nose problems.  I too have the sores and tenderness described here in detail, but the worst park is the constant urge to pick.. It makes me crazy and I can't even get a full nights sleep.Seeing my ENT tomorrow and going to beg her for some relief beyond the oily sprays and creams. I wish somebody a had an answer for me.
I have been convinced all day that I have nose cancer. After reading all of these posts, I will sleep better!!  It's so annoying!
I have had this problem on and off, scab never seems to heal. I use betnovate crème (which I use on and off for eczema). This works pretty quickly and the problem goes away - - till it returns a month or so later - then another dab of crème  works again. It appears to be a  Staphylococcus infection the bacteria of which lives in the nose  and there does not appear to be much you can do about it other than crème.
I have this problem as well.   The sore in my nose has been there for about one year.  I just went to a ENT and he did a biopsy. He cauterized the sore while I was there.  Three days later I got the results, no cancer.  A friend of mine is an ER doctor and he said nose cancers are very rare.   ENT gave me a lubricant called "NasoGel"  for  my sore nose.  He also prescribed Loratab for the pain.  My nose really hurts sometimes.  He didn't have any further suggestions.  My doctor friend told me to stop using "Flonase"  for a couple of weeks.  He said that could be making it worse.  Will see.  
Same problem for over 5 years. The cure is to keep your fingers out of your nose! Sleep with a cool mist vaporizer with distiled water. This is a cure!
I am also surprised so many individuals have this same problem.  I didn't realize how long I have had this until my sister pointed it out- it is well over 5 years.  It is starting to be a little bit of a crater. I went to an ENT who said this is very common and is caused by the way the air goes into your nose. If I keep it moisturized (lotion, antibiotic oint, Vaseline etc) it almost looks healed but if I miss a day or two without moisturizer it is back in full force. However I am wondering about some type of infection complicating things.  Hmmm... Hibiclens in the nose that could be a possibility.  has anyone tried that?
I have a sore in my nose that has seemed to spread superficially into the sinus cavity (where the hole is), and it bleeds when touched. I am worried about nasal cancer. My nose issue has been constant for 18 years now (picked at it for first time in 1995). The bleeding of the sore started in 2005. I am currently using ointment to try & clear it up, but it is such a crusty mess when i touch it with a q-tip it comes out with fresh blood on it. I am scared ********! Cancer is what i'm thinking...praying I am wrong. Go back to Dr. In 2 weeks, if not healed, on to a dermatologist. Whatever you believe in, please say a little prayer for me. Thanks & much luck to you all!
So I just googled "nose bleed won't heal" and found this community and I appreciate all the knowledge shared.  My problem started with a huge nose bleed--large blood clots the size of my fingers kept coming out for several minutes--very scary!  That was about 5 years ago and I get nose bleeds about once a month from the same sore inside same nostril in a location that sounds very similar to many of your sores.  I sometimes feel the large blood clots going down the back of my throat and almost choke.  GROSS.  So I think I will try the lansinoh, the betnovate, and some your other advice above.  And the next time I have a physical I'm going to ask about it, hope it isn't staph.  Thanks for everyone's feedback.  
I just had surgery due to chronic sinus infection and developed these non-healing scabs that everyone is complaining about.  The first thing in the morning, I would have huge crusty scabs inside my nose.  At first I tried removing them so I could breath through my nose.  When they came back the next night, I tried leaving them, thinking they would heal.  I tried Bactroban Ointment, Vaseline, ect., but as soon as the scabs got moist they would come out anyway.  Then, to keep them from coming out and still be able to breath, I tried one of those breathing strips on the outside of my nose.  The next morning there was a huge difference in the healing.  The scab-plugs didn't form overnight.  I had a thin skin over the wounds instead.  I'm going to try it again tonight and hopefully it will heal completely.  I think when your nasal passages are narrow due to swelling (allergies, trama, etc.) your body thinks you have a gaping wound that needs to be filled, unfortunately, its your nose.  Then, I think the type of scab that forms is designed to fill in and heal the hole, which would probably be great if you had a hole in your leg or arm.  The next morning, the natural nasal secretions won't let the scab stay on and it's mostly just held by your nose hair anyway, so it comes right off and you start all over again.  I'm going to tell my ENT as soon as I go to my next appointment.  Nothing came out of my nose this morning and I feel so much better not having those nerves in my nose open to the air and making my face and teeth hurt.  I don't usually post to these things, but it seems like so many suffer from the same thing.  I hope this helps others.  Good luck to everyone.  
dear all it's seem that you are on the same platform as me so i am also suffering from nasal congestion  and there is sore inside my nose which we called polyp it's just like ball made of blood which swell and block your nose .I had previously suffering from this sore the easy way is to used Neil Med products which is the beneficial now a days my suggestion is that not use the steroids and try to push your gp towards nasal endoscopy or balloon surgery I know that some doctors especially GP your said this is useless but when i got my operation i get 70% benefit from  surgery so try neil med it's clear your cavities and repair your sore don't scab it. I know it's irritate you it's like itchy skin more you scab more it worst  and balloon surgery is the latest surgery if you are in uk the best i refer is Dr Michael Wareng  in London halley street he has the facility for ballon surgery and nose endoscopy but privately it  is costly consult fees 250 gbp otherwise if you get any better solution kindly tell me as well an always consult your doctor to do any step thanks a lot GOD bless you all and cure your problems
Same problem here. Had it for 3 weeks. Scab and blood. I have no cure but will try some that the others have tried.
Usually in the winter time I have itchy legs. Hot water helps for a couple hours. I just figured my nose was something like my itching legs.
wow, this is a big issue, well last week I found out that staff lives in all our noses but the bad MRSA is the one that causes the sores that once you pick it off, or blow your nose and it comes off, your body sends the healing liquid that has your own antibiotic in it.  It creates a large light yellow scab, then it is hard to breath, hurts and you start all over picking it off the next day, I was tired of driving down the street, trying to get the scab out for the last time. Or when I put makeup on, it shows cracks in my lower nostril.....always uncomfortable, wondering if it is cancer, very embarrassing, anyway, back to MRSA, I just dabbed a small amount of mupirocin 2% ointment prescribed by PCP, and it is gone!!!!!  not sure for how long, but I am so happy I'm not the nose picker anymore, hopefully they do not come back, but if they do, I will use the ointment.......mine come and go, not always in the same spot, but so glad it healed so quick
So glad I am not the only one with this! I thought it could be a herpes lesion but Valcyclovir is not doing anything for it. I hope it is not a re occurrence of shingles. Have a lesion bump on my rt ear lobe that is sore. I will try ti ideas mentioned above. My nose thingy is the same as nearly all of your described. White circle on the cartilage, cut near the edge of my nostril, large very hard scabby thing which interferes with breathing. All came after a winter cold.
I took out the huge scab last night and it has not come back but my nose is sore. Ick!
Eileen
**PLEASE READ - I GOT RELIEF!!!**

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to the person who recommended the cream nursing mothers use for cracked nipples! Not sure which forum I read it on or which site even but It worked, almost immediately, I'm talking overnight! The active ingredient needed is Lanolin which I purchased for $4.49 and mixed with a non-petroleum based jelly (vegetable based but you could use vaseline). The drug store product for cracked nipples cost $12.99 but the U.S.P. Lanolin was much cheaper and did the trick! It was in the baby care section of the store, near the diapers etc. I dabbed the mixture on the sore inside my nose and I swear it was better in a few hours and almost completely healed overnight. Worth a try as I had this sore on and off for almost a year. GOOD LUCK!
Please read my comment below!
I don't know where these scabs came from or what caused them.   I have them in both nostrils.   The right is bigger.    I pick at them because they are driving me crazy!    But then they start to hurt.     I will try the baby diaper cream and lanolin and Vaseline, I hope these things work.  
Everyone should look into Manuka honey. It has amazing anti-bacterial properties as has worked like a charm for me.
How did you use the honey?? I tried using it with no success. It just ran out my nose and down my sinuses... I am assuming you put it in your nose?
I have had a similar issue which started as a small sore inside the opening of my nose that seemed to sting and came and went with no real rhyme or reason.  Then it started happening in the other nostril, and it would cycle back and forth between the two for several months.  It felt like cracked skin, kind of stinging and annoying, but that's about it.  The M.D. had nothing to say, almost didn't seem to believe me as it was very hard to see at that time.  Fast forward two years, with the problem coming and going over that time.  Recently, I began having scabbing that is very painful and will not go away. It was more crusty feeling, and my nasal passages felt very dry.  I tried picking them out, they'd come right back.  I tried lubricating the areas, using coconut oil, neosporin, aquaphor, non-petroleum based jelly, I even slept with a humidifier on, nothing worked beyond temporary relief.  Finally, I stumbled across some info online that I hadn't found before.  At a visit with my kid's pediatrician, I asked him to take a look and he confirmed that it could be "Nasal Impetigo," which is basically caused by Staph or combo Staph and Strep bacterium.  He prescribed me an antibiotic ointment called Mupirocin, that is applied topically three times a day for two weeks.  I'm on my 6th day now and I can say I have finally found relief!  I can't believe it took me two years to get to this point, and that I had to diagnose myself!  
So if any of this sounds familiar to you, do a google search for "Nasal Impetigo," and if it still sounds like you, call your doc and ask if that's what could be causing your problem too.  I hope you find relief too.
S
So glad I found this thread. I had a sore in my nostril that just would not heal. Horrible nose bleeds including an especially nasty one in the middle night. I started putting lanolin (Lanosoe brand) in my nostril in the morning and again at bedtime. Within a week it was noticeably better. The nose bleeds stopped and within three weeks it was completely healed. Can't thank everyone on here enough or recommend lanolin strongly enough!  
Yes me too Paul. Yesterday I went straight to the Chemist/Pharmicist and bought some 'Lansinoh' -for Breast feeding mothers' and applied it to the affected areas in my nostrils. Overnight, gone!
I woke up a new man!
I will buy that now too!
Thank you!
going to buy lanolin now, will report back, had this issue for almost a year!
worked like a charm!!! thank god!
After having a bad cold for the entire month of April I also developed this exact same condition in my right nostril. I kept thinking it would go away and here it is nearly 7 months later and I still have it. Last Friday I saw my ENT and he seemed very familiar with the condition. He explained that it is most likely a staff infection that got a foothold when I had the cold. He said we all have staff germs in our noses, but if there isn't an open sore they are usually not a problem. Anyway, he gave me a prescription for MUPIROCIN 2% which is an antibiotic ointment. It is commonly used to treat impetigo. I have to use a q-tip and coat the inside of my nostril twice a day. It isn't necessary to go way up inside where the sore is, just do it around the inside base of the nostril. I've been doing it for 4 days now and I already see a vast improvement. Hopefully this information will be able to help others as well.
I have had this very thing for about three years. I don't know what to do. The doctor gave me some antbiotic ointment called mupirocin. It kind of helps. But when i look in my nose its red and with a white jagged  patch with tiny blisters on the side of my cartilidge.Then i get nose bleeds if the scab falls off. I had two yesterday.  Ug do the doctors even know what this is?
The guy was right Lansinoh WORKS within hours my nose felt better, after 3 months of bleeding scabby nose! YEAH !
Hi I've had a problem with nosebleeds my whole life from being Salicylate Intolerant.
Anyway i have been having nosebleeds everyday for the last few months.And I always have scabs forming and sloughing off. I never thought it could be a sinus infection cause I dont have a lot of green mucous or anything like that. I get  a little clear runny nose from allergies
So 2 days ago I put about 2 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide in about a quarter cup of water and put it up to my nose and swooshed it up my nostrils by leaning back and forth a few times. Then I leaned forward so it would go up my sinuses. A minute later I gently blew my nose. 2 days later my nosebleeds stopped and the scabs are gone.   I'm going to continue this ritual for a few more days. Good luck , Joan
I have been dealing with this for a couple of months and, after reading comments here and on other sites, decided to try and nip this in the bud before it goes on for months or years. First of all, if a person has dry mucosa (like in Sjogren's), things don't tend to heal as quickly. And allergies don't present in the same fashion either. So some of this could actually be an allergic reaction. I have found removing dairy products and coffee (tannins in coffee) has helped. But the immediate kicker was Mucinex (guafensin). That and drinking lots of water. Remove all things that could be potential allergens (dairy, tannins, pets, etc.) and start drinking lots of water (to hydrate cells and mucosa). Take mucinex until sores are gone. Then, stop for a few days and see if they come back. If they don't, slowly add the things you eliminated back into your routine. Waiting a couple of weeks before you reintroduce the next thing. That way you will know if it is an allergic reaction. Add extra hydration to mucosa with some kind of natural bees wax product. And continue drinking lots of water. It's healthy!
have been dealing with this for a couple of months and, after reading comments here and on other sites, decided to try and nip this in the bud before it goes on for months or years. First of all, if a person has dry mucosa (like in Sjogren's), things don't tend to heal as quickly. And allergies don't present in the same fashion either. So some of this could actually be an allergic reaction. I have found removing dairy products and coffee (tannins in coffee) has helped. But the immediate kicker was Mucinex (guafensin). That and drinking lots of water. Remove all things that could be potential allergens (dairy, tannins, pets, etc.) and start drinking lots of water (to hydrate cells and mucosa). Take mucinex until sores are gone. Then, stop for a few days and see if they come back. If they don't, slowly add the things you eliminated back into your routine. Waiting a couple of weeks before you reintroduce the next thing. That way you will know if it is an allergic reaction. Add extra hydration to mucosa with some kind of natural bees wax product. And continue drinking lots of water. It's healthy!
I suffer from small wounds inside my nares (nostrils) intermittently due to chronic allergies and blowing of nose. Honey helps. It is very healing. Try treating the area twice to once a day, u can use a q-tip for application. It has helped me after trying numerous other medicinal things. Honey has actually been used for wound care in many cultures for ages. And is currently being used more mainstream in western cultures now. There is even a product called Medhoney that hospice companies are using as first line treatment for wounds deeper than the epithelial layer due to its efficacy and low cost.  Honey right of the market shelves has been the only thing that has helped the inside my nose.
Goodluck!
I have just read that oil of frankincense helps scar tissue.  I found the information on Essential Oils Pedia .com.  I have a little of this nose problem too, but it is not to the point of scar tissue.  I would buy 100% therapeutic grade oil and then dilute it in olive or coconut oil as recommended on that website.  Hope it helps!  I bought some for some scar tissue my husband has on the OUTSIDE of his nose, but we haven't tried it yet, unfortunately.  It is supposed to be good for a lot of stuff...even baldness!
I believe you could have filed a compensation claim with the Navy...It happened while you were on active duty ...worth a try..
I have had the same issue, but I know why I have it. A few years ago, I had nose surgery to open my airways so I could breathe through my nose, since I was born with a dislocated nose, and they attempted to put it back in place at birth, but it went wrong, and it developed worse and worse as I grown older. I have also had nose bleeds at least twice a week all of my life, I no longer have that problem however. Now I have painful scabs that form in my nose, but saying that, if one of them falls off, I do get a pretty nasty nose bleed. It is as annoying as ****.
I will have to try this. I've had this blood booger for two months now and it's driving me crazy. I have to clean my nose out several times a day or else I can't breathe.
I have had scabs in my nose for almost a year, and will let you know if I can find a remedy. Your article was great, insightful. Im thinking it has to do with vitamin deficiency, due to an incapability to absorb certain vitamins. Probably b vitamins. Also something like fungus or mold contributes to the problem. Keep trying we will find the answer
I've commented before regarding this issue, I myself have suffered with for many years with no help from my ent specialist on resolving it. I truely believe in my heart this has to be a fungus. How do I get my Dr. to test this never ending sore for fungus? I think he thinks I'm crazy. But, I  know none of his recommendations(moisturize with a water base nasal gel.)  have helped.
Hi all, it is indeed very useful article and comments here gave a lot of information. BTW i m 28 and i have been living with this sore or whatever it is on the nose wall in left nostril and since i came to know about things about the world ;). it has been almost 20 years perhaps. the main thing i would like to mention here is that my sore moves here and there in the nose wall :O.. sometimes it comes at the edge of outside skin sometime it goes very deep. and i always have to clean it with finger. though i never went to doctor as it is not a problem for me though sometimes it becomes more swelled and bleeds but when it is cleaned things are easier. SO i want to tell everyone who is facing this situation, dont think much and no need to go to doctor until u have got a serious problem with that.

thnks everyone

siraj
OMG I've been googling this forever but finally found the right search words and I can't believe how many people have the SAME thing and feel the same way, like fear of cancer, can't breathe so feel compelled to remove it, then feel like they caused it by being god forbid, 'nose pickers".  The answers given so far seem to  ring most true with the pathogens being either MRSA or impetigo.  This has inspired me to keep my finger out of my nose but before reading this I have a compelling desire to feel it to chart it's progress.  Unable to see it makes one want to touch it, and results in it being infected.  So now I'm willing not to put anything up there but hibiclens,  and then moupacin on a q-tip.    
I too thought it could be herpes 1 related.  It did improve on antibiotics but did not fix it and the drugs were killing my guts.  Sometimes mine bleeds.  Sometimes a thick hard (almost like a fingernail) whitish or light yellow scab is like hanging there and how am I not to remove it in order to breathe?  Often it causes great pain, a toothache a headache a small pimple on the forehead or nose, even a wire like thread protusion in my pallete, what is that??? It's been very scary. It has even changed the shape of my face around that sinus ever so slightly but being vain, it really bothers me.  I worry about cancer, but even more likely a brain infection, as it is so close to the brain and the blood vessels going to it.  Also mine started with a septumplasty and that made this spot more in the path of air flow and dried it out.  Shortly after this same time I had severe dry mouth adding  to this issue from medications.  Then the very first thing that happened (now 6 years ago) was following the above events, I felt an annoying "scab" = the hard part is you can't see these thing and that's what makes you stick your finger in  your nose.  There was a hard raised spot that felt 'dead" and had loosened edges so I just pulled it out....that left a small crater which grew anothre hard spot and left a bigger crater and on and on it went.  It has lately had been waking me up with pain in these places I mentioned and more intense  than ever before  so that is why I googled these new words.  Actually after reading the previous blogs I tried the q tips and maupicin yesterday and today have given my some relief but I am not about to "feel" it with my finger for a long long time. And I am buying hibiclens first chance I get. Thank you so much to everyone. All the doctors had said it was due to me picking my nose which is not even close to what is going on.  It is what all of us have been  experiencing so the doctors made me feel pretty stupid. and bad which did not help things at all.
I wonder if this could potentially be a Zooanotic pathogen? How many of you who posted have pets (dog, cat, birds) that are in regular close proximity to your face? ....sometimes you have to think outside the box when it comes to a mystery.
I agree!!!! And yes, I  have two dogs. I try to turn to avoid their, so glad to see you, tongue lashings, but sometimes they get in a "kiss or two. I feel it's  either pathogen or fungi? It has to be. Anyone ever been exposed to mold that suffer with this
I have this too. I did coke but I stopped when my nose started feeling funny 7 weeks ago. Its driving me nuts...huge bloody scabs and boogers yuck. I even got that weird whitish fingernail looking scab today. I also had the worst headache of my life earlier this week...it was so painful and lasted hours and hours... This *****!!
My otlaryngologist tried everything including surgery to loosen these crusts to no avail. However, the doctor's husband, a ski enthusiast, recommended an OCT product called, "Ponaris" (eucalyptus oil). If used religiously it will loosen the scab so it can be removed without damage or nosebleed. Also, in winter, I add a vaporizer that emits warm steam. The scab never completely goes away, but it won't continue to block the nasal passages so that you can breathe again, and it will prevents nose bleeds. You can ask your pharmacist to order it for you or purchase on line.
Okay peeps...I've got the answer for you!!   I too, have these scabs in my nose!  Sometimes both nostrils at the same time!!  Other times..just one side.  I've seen my doctor and I was tested positive for MRSA.  MRSA is a staph infection in your nose.   MANY people have this.  Also is known as a form of impetigo.  However, many of you noted that you've had these scabs nonstop?   Mine are not all the time.   Sometimes I'll go months without one!  I do find when I am overly stressed or worried...this is when I tend to get them!   My doctor prescribed bacitracin...and this works wonders!  I too was tested for nasal cancer...and do NOT have it!   Cold winter months tend to dry the nasal passages out as well.   Avoid using nasal sprays for they will make it worse!   A&D cream, lanolin and coconut oil will work as well.   This is a form of virus and it STAYS in your system.   Just like the herpes simplex virus 1.   Once you have it...it is in your system for life.   But...simple solutions will reduce the discomfort.   Also...try not to get too stressed about stuff...because that will definitely bring it on sooner!   I wish you all luck ...totally can relate to what you ALL are feeling!!   Just wanted to give you the feedback that I received!   Hope you get relief soon!!   God Bless!!    :)
Been dealing with this for over 10 years as well as many of you.  I have read articles and info on this stuff some time ago and pretty much gave up.  I know it is MRSA in the nose even though I was never diagnosed with it.  I did my internet research like many of you and put two and two together based on the symptoms.  My doctor did mention the possibility of MRSA once years ago but prefered to give me  a referral to ENT to rule out cancer.  Almost had my inside nose cut up for biopsy and burned to possibly stop the scabbing but my ENT was a good guy and leveled with me that he was over 95% sure I did not have cancer but explained that the doing the biopsy was procedural.  He also told me that there is a good chance that the burning will not heal the affected area and advised me to keep putting neosporin in the area or vaseline.  So, many years later I have been living with this and quite used to it.  I buy mupiricin when I visit Mexico on fishing trips so that I do not need a prescription but I only use it when I get a sore in my nose.  I typically use neosporin at night in my nostril for the scabbing issue which effectively takes care of it.  Small amount and neosporin is very cheap.  Bacitracin is one that I am not familiar with although I admit that I haven't looked into this for some time (few years).  I am excited to hear about it and the lanolin.  I will try both.  Thanks for the tip and I keep praying that doctors will develop a cure for MRSA because this is what we all have guys....well most of us.  Take care and good luck.  
I am also concerened that it may be mrsa.  I took care of a relative (hospice care)  and when she was discharged to my home the nursing home failed to tell me that she had mrsa. Now bear with me here, I have 3 cats and cats exposed to mrsa can become carriers (the mrsa resides in their nasal passages). About a month ago I had the flu really bad, my kitty sleeps with me and I suffer from auto-immune issues. I just got prescribed murpiricin today. Hopefully this will clear it up.  Im concerned that everyone seems to mention years of infection. Could there be factors that are "reinfecting people"  for intsance if my cats turn out to be carriers they could reinfect me.  Mrsa is not something to take lightly. Both my mom and brother died due to mrsa related sepsis.  Any thoughts on this?
i have literally been freaking out about this. it randomly started out slow and the past few months its gotten so bad. ive looked stuff up on the internet, freaked out about cancer warning signs and other things as well. i hate to be excited about other people having the same problems, but nice to know im not alone. i cant blow my nose without it hurting and its driving me f$%^&*#$ insane. i cant even breath at night. ive tried to use a cotton swab to put neosporin in my nose at night but it hasnt worked. any tips would be totally awesome
Had the same problem for years. Sometimes I do get nosebleeds after picking my nose,then I realized that it's always from my left nose and on the same spot from the inside. Used a flashlight and examined the insides of my left nostril and saw some kind of a lesion. It seems to heal then form a scab and then when I accidentaly peel that scab, it causes the bleeding. It's really not that bad, but these past few weeks. Whenever i wake up, and spit my sputum, there's always a trace of blood in there. Although not that much, it worries me, so I did a little research and it made me think the blood is coming down from my nose into my mucus, so when I'm laying down it goes at the back of throat.

Anyway, I'll try some of the things you guys stated here. Lanolin and mprucin.

I'll report as soon as I get some progress. God bless you all!
First of all my english is not that good, so sorry :).
So, I read all comments here, and there are a lot of ideas how people manage their conditions but most of the ideas just mask the problem.

So long story short, for ME (and I really mean ME, maybe it will not work for others, but it is a idea), what helped me sounds too simple that i felt a little bit stupid, ashamed after finding it out.

PROTEIN. Yes, just simple Protein. Healthy smart People saying it‘s impossible to be Protein Deficient but I was. I always thought that for more Mucus you have to eat Carbs like Paul Jaminet‘s PerfectHealthDiet, but it didn‘t worked for me upping the Carbs.
So, after a little bit of Depression Moment, i just went to the fridge took out the Ham (1 Piece, 100g = P:12g, F:24g) that nobody was eating for 2 Weeks. I ate 5 Pieces through the whole day. Before bed i realized that my throat didn‘t hurt that much, than I pressed on my Nose and it didn‘t hurt that much too, but the Crust was still there but not so inflamed. The next Day, I ate 2 Pieces of the Ham, for Breakfast and Dinner. And then Afternoon it was GONE. Nose was building more Mucus, it didn‘t hurt when I tip of the nose, the Crust in the nose was wet and i just took it out without scratching. And the most beautiful thing - I can breath without inhaling Oxygen like a drug. My Diet was really only Ham and 1 bowl of White Rice, and i chewed the meat really long, till it was creamy and then it went to my stomach.
Again it healed after only 1 1/2 Day and stupid ME didn‘t recognized it for 2-YEARS.
But, now big BUT, just from experience, you have to avoid any kind of Seed Oils, i dont know if Olive Oil, Coconut Oil is ok, but no Seed Oils. Everytime I eat Seed Oils my whole body got dry, like dry squid (by the way i love dry squid).
So I hope this will help someone, it‘s just an IDEA out of all the possibilities to help this condition. Wish ya all, good health for the year of the Monkey :).
Oh my gosh!!!!! Your story is exactly my story!! No help. No answers. Sorry 4 you, I really am. My issue, like yours has been going on for 7 years.....
I HEALED my nasal scab issue (similar to what so many here have described) which has been chronic for the past SIX MONTHS with something called Manuka Honey--Just google it and you'll learn volumes about it, but the bottom line is kills bacteria including MRCA! It works so well that US hospitals are using a medical grade version of it for burn cases. Anyway, I headed to a health store and bought a jar of Manuka honey with an MGO rating of 100 (look for the rating because the rating determines how much antimicrobial compounds are in it). I just dabbed a little on a Qtip and rubbed it up inside one nostril (lol I was afraid it might make my nostrils stick shut, so I only did one!) The next morning, the nasty scabs just all fell off. I applied a little more and went to work. Throughout the day there was a little itching, but no drainage or need to use a tissue. I reapplied that night and the next day (today) everything feels great. I'm going to apply tonight as well so everything can heal completely, but I am blown away impressed. Oh, and I've had two rounds of antibiotics which failed miserably to help me. Head to the nearest health store (I went to Vitamin Cottage for expediency, but it looks like it's much cheaper online) and pick up some Manuka honey with a grade of 100 or higher. (and watch out because there are a lot of UNGRADED Manuka honey bottles sold for cheaper prices. Look for that MGO certification to be sure. My local Wholefoods only had ungraded versions.
I have tried the honey with 400 mgo rating. How did you keep the honey applied to it?? I did't have good results as it kept going down my sinuses and running out my nose
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem and was able to cure it by applying a little Manuka honey into the nostril with a Qtip. I was not tested for MRSA, but I did receive antibiotics to no avail, and Manuka honey has been found to kill MRSA along with a number of other superbugs. If you're still having this problem, or any chronic long-term infection for that matter, Manuka Honey is worth trying.
Trying the Manuka Honey
So far, i havent seen any change and its been 24 hours since my first application of the honey.
Did you have success ?  What worked for you?
Ive had this horrible, painful issue for about 8 months now. I am currently doing the Whole30 'cleanse', which eliminates dairy, sugar, grains, soy, alcohol for 30 days. I am 8 days in, and my nose has healed 100%. I believe its the sugar and/or dairy that is causing it. I know for a fact that allergies can show their faces in bizarre ways, so I would encourage you to try eliminating these from your daily diet! What have you got to lose!
I haven't heard this mentioned but there is a real possibility that you had a root canal done on a upper tooth and this now dead or necrotic object inside your body is causing your problem. I am not talking about excessive mucus that can be treated with a mucus free diet I am referring to the scabbing in the nose that should not be there. My experience that brought me to this conclusion was as follows: I had a root canal done about twenty years ago where the dentist left part of the file to clean out the pulp inside the root. Everything seemed o.k. for about 10 years when suddenly I noticed a nose scabbing on the same side where the root canal was performed. At first the irritation wasn't so bad but over the years it developed into nose bleeds. At that time I still hadn't a clue! Eventually the treated tooth acted up and my dentist sent me to a endodontist to have the root canal redone. During a five hour ordeal he tried to remove the file, which wasn't entirely possible and treated the second canal that never received proper treatment. Interestingly enough my nose bleed stopped and the scapping improved some. However, now three years into the repair it slowly is getting worse again. If you do some research on the danger of root canals you will learn why they can be devastating to your health. I will now have this tooth removed and have an implant placed sometimes this summer. I go entirely on my gut feeling, because nobody, absolutely nobody has the right answer. My recommendation, check if the roots of your upper teeth are healthy and alive.
I have the same issue in my left nostril for going on three years.  ENT finally biopsied it today, saying he wanted to confirm it was benign and we could 'leave it alone to heal'.  This after two cauterizations and many different topical ointments didn't work. Frustrating as heck.  The only thing that has helped me reduce the swelling and sores is a netipot used twice daily.  
Did any of you discover swollen lymp nodes as well? My left nostril is all infected, bleeding and crusty just lime all of you noted. But I also have the left side lymp note enlarged in my left jaw, and sometimes tender.

Got MRI done on it a year ago and it came back normal.

Im supposed to go for a follow up scan soon and was wondering if others had this same issue.
have you found anything that works for you I am a week into a huge one in right side and a mediem size one in left  my ENT coterized them today very painfully today as with you I have severe lung issues so I have to be extra careful of anything I use  but my pain is through the roof  with this