Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sore throat and cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sore throat and cough

Hi , today when I woke up my throat started hurting and it was like tickling my throat or something because it was making me cough. and it's kind of hard to swallow. do you know what I could possibly have ?

~ thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms described could be due to a throat infection, most probably streptococcal or a viral infection. Strep sore throat needs to be treated with an antibiotic as strep is a bacteria. Viral sore throat is best treated with rest, warm oral fluids and  (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain. If you develop a fever, or if there is enlargement of the tonsils with pain or if there is white coating on the tonsils, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.