Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sore throat while on Flagyl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sore throat while on Flagyl

I had an endometrial biopsy two weeks ago, and came down with fever and chills 3 days later.  The doctor had me on two antibiotics, Augmentin and Flagyl.  My fever went away and so did the mild abdominal pain I was having, but the last day of my antibiotics, I got a very sore throat with some pits/pockets in my throat.  I have been exposed to strep, but assumed I shouldn't have picked it up while on antibiotics.  The medical information with the Flagyl said that sore throat and white spots could be a side effect.  What does it mean if it *is* a side effect from the Flagyl?  How serious is this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If it is a side effect from flagyl therapy, it should resolve once the course is finished. If it persists it could indicate an infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.