Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sore throat/yellow tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sore throat/yellow tongue

I'm a healthy 30 year old (except for high blood pressure) About a month ago I went to the dentist to have some fillings done. A few days later one of my molars broke in half. I didn't call the dentist and figured I would wait until my next appointment.  Not much longer my throat became irritated and very red. My tongue has formed a yellow coating and red dots on the end. I eat a lot of very spicy food (everyday) and at first I thought the bumps might be irritated taste buds.
I called my internal medicine doctor and they did a strep culture test and it came back negative but they gave me an antibiotic.
Its been about a week and a half and I still have the same symptoms. There is no other symptoms along with it (no fever, headache, lethargy, etc)
Could it be from the tooth?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be a fungal infection. Thrush is an overgrowth of a fungus that is normally found in the mouth, called Candida albicans.  This generally looks like cheese curds, which when wiped off, leave a raw, bleeding surface.  Thrush could certainly cause all of the symptoms that you have described.  This is treated with Nystatin Oral Suspension or Mycelex. Consult your doctor regarding this. In the meantime you can try warm salt water gargles and betadine mouthwashes.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.