Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sour taste in mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sour taste in mouth

I have had this bad taste (morning taste) in my mouth for so long (4 months now), is anyone else there ever experience the same problem? What did you do. This also makes my lips dry and feel like wetting it now and then. Can anyone out there please tell me what could be wrong with me? Six months ago I kissed a hookers  breast and tasted some salty fluid which i swallowed. I stopped immeadiately when i realised i could have exposed myself to hiv infection. I have test for hiv and thank God all turned negative. Please help with so advice
Tags: worry
Do you drink a lot of beverages with aspartame in them, such as diet soda, or Crystal Light at all?  I was having this same problem, and decided to stop drinking fluids with aspartame in them.  I stopped for about 3-4 weeks and the taste went away completely.  I know drink them very sparingly, and drink mainly water instead.  Also, do you have stomach problems?  Bad taste in the mouth can becoming from the stomach.  It sounds like you are worrying a lot, maybe this is upsetting your stomach which in turn is causing the sour taste in your mouth?  Another thing may be flossing your teeth.  Do you floss your teeth before or after you brush them.  You should floss them and then brush them.  If you do brush then floss, the blood and debris that is pulled up from between your teeth has had all night to sit around in your mouth and (for lack of a better word) rot......
Thanks for your advice. Well, you know I dont take alchohol at all and not even a lot of soda for that matter. Yes of late I have been drinking lots and lots of water. In fact I wake up at night with a horrible taste that I have to go and swish water in my mouth. I wake up about three time a night feeling that way and with a bit of dry throat. I agree with you that I worry alot as I wake up to go to the loo and hadly have any pee but still have the urge.

This sourish taste is really bothering me. Tomorrow will be the sixth month since my encounter with the hooker and I intend to test for HIV again just to clear my mind. That is what is really makeing me worry.
Try not to worry.  I seriously don't think you need to worry about AIDS.  That salty fluid you tasted was probably sweat and I read this on-line at http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/brochure/atrisk.htm:
You cannot get HIV:

By working with or being around someone who has HIV.
From sweat, spit, tears, clothes, drinking fountains, phones, toilet seats, or through everyday things like sharing a meal.
From insect bites or stings.
From donating blood.
From a closed-mouth kiss (but there is a very small chance of getting it from open-mouthed or "French" kissing with an infected person because of possible blood contact).

Have you talked to your Dr about the bad taste in your mouth at all?  Or maybe the dentist?
I still have this funny sourish/bitter taste in my mouth that has really persissted. Just wanted to let you know that last month was 6th month after an exposure to hiv and thank God I tested negative. So what is this taste disorder? Sometimes I get stressed and get this hot flushes and this freaks me out. I still wake up at night with a yuk taste that really bad that I have to swish my mouth with water before going to sleep. This happens 3 times a night and i pee at the same time. My throat is much better but still have excessive saliva. My throat still appears reddish. Please let me know what I can do. I appreaciate all your efforts/assistance
i have been experiencing the same, over the passed 3 weeks.  I thought it was due to the antibiotics i was taking.  I have now finished them...it has been 1 week and the taste still persists.  I do also wake up with a very dry throat and bitter taste in my mouth.  it seems to be situated around my palate, at the back ( the soft palate).  I have also been drinking "copper" water for the passed 3 months and I am trying to find out if this is perhaps a side efect of to much copper in my system.  If and when i have more to add, I'll let you know.

ali
Many things come to mind, tonsil stones, and as others have mentioned medications.
it was the copper water.  too much copper in my system.  when i stopped drinking the copper water, within 2 days, the symptoms were gone.  I realize that "some" copper is fine but your body surely informs you when you have a high level.
I've experienced nighttime dryness in my mouth.  I live in a old house.  The environment is very dry.  I assume I sleep with my mouth open.  If weather permits, it helps to sleep with a window open.  When inclimate weather is present, try a humidifier.
Do you eat pine nuts?  Google Pine mouth, I have had the same for the last 2 days and found it started after eating pine nuts, seems a lot of other people have had the same. particularly with pine nut from China!
well, theres a few things. Me and my dad have the same problem, its like a sour taste down the back of my mouth but only avtivates when i eat something which is REALLY annoying cos i enjot food so much. He thinks its the dodgy porrige we have in the kitchen, i think its the mushrooms on the pizza where i work..and an old women seems to think its the devil..? riiight. i just want to know is it food related of body related. Thanks a mill...i want to taste again..
Within 30 seconds of eating anything with sugar in it (refined or natural) I have a sour taste in my mouth.  I have had it for MANY years.  Doctors laugh at me.  Any suggestions?
did you swim after you found out the sour taste in your mouth? i had swam in public swimming pool on the day before I realize i had a sour taste in mouth. I researched....Swimming pool sanitation may causes sour taste in mouth because of copper ion system level in body. dont know is this true...
did you swim after you found out the sour taste in your mouth? coz i had swam in public swimming pool, next day I realize i had a sour taste in mouth. i research....Swimming pool sanitation may causes sour taste in mouth because of copper ion system level in body. dont know is this true...