Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Spasmodic Dysphonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Spasmodic Dysphonia

Has anyone cured their Spasmodic Dysphonia without Botox or surgery? Has anyone tried breathing techniques, voice rehab, alexander technique or anything else for Spasmodic Dysphonia?
Google: Spasmodic Dysphonia Scott Adams and read everything the creator of the Dilbert cartoon has to say on the subject.  It's extensive and interesting.
Thank you so much for that!  There is a lot of information there.  It is really nice for me to read Scott Adams' blog.  I have had Spasmodic Dysphonia for 20 years and have never met anyone else with it nor have I read anything from anyone else who has it. I have decided that I am going to cure it and I like to see results (or lack of) from the others who are trying to do the same.  You don't have it do you?
Again, thank you very much!!

You are welcome.  No, i don't have SD, just a weak voice that few people can hear, so i empathize.  He wrote a lot about it in his highly entertaining non-fiction book which i read last year , Stick to Drawing Comics Monkey Brain, which i recommend to any with or without SD.
I will get that book - thank you again.  I am reading a book, not entertaining but you might find it helpful.  The book is called Winning with your Voice by Dr Morton Cooper.  Have you read any of Dr Coopers books?  Have you tried any methods to strengthen your voice?
Go figure.  I just got that book.  Looks like I have to change my voice to a higher pitch, which bothers me, but maybe it'll work.  Thanks for the advice.
I'd love to know if the exercises work for you. I am also learning the Alexander Technique and so far that is helping me more than the book.
There are members on my website, http://www.VoiceMatters.net, who have had some success from the surgery that Scott Adams had (by the same doctor).  Also, a couple have had results from less-invasive, ongoing vocal therapies and treatments.
If you go to the NPR website, and search for "functional dysphonia" it shows how some people can get results from massage.
Hi cmts! It's good to find this post. I have SD, too Abductor Type. I've had 1 botox shot and I didn't have any improvement. I'm checking out Connie Pike's Free to Speak Voice Therapy.

What Alexander Technique are you using?
I can't speak now for 2 yrs.  I've been to lots f Doc, and now they say there is nothing they can do. Go figure :--(