Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sphenoid Sinus problem?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sphenoid Sinus problem?

I have been having this pain in my head behind my left eye, around my left eye, the top of my head, the back of my head and the base of my neck (all on the left side) since 2002.  I have had 2 sinus surgeries.  They helped me breathe better, but did NOT solve the problem.  I have had so many doctors ignoring me.  I run a constant low-grade fever and have since 2002.  I have been having issues with my left eye for the last 2 years.  The eye doctor found that I had 2 areas of Visual Field Scatomas in my left eye which correlate with the pain I complain of in my head.  A neurologist has seen me recently and cannot see anything wrong with the MRI that I had done recently and suggests that it's all psychological.  This just really pisses me off.  This has been 8 years...8 YEARS!!!  My daughter is 7...THIS MEANS FOR HER ENTIRE LIFE I HAVEN'T BEEN MYSELF BECAUSE OF THIS PAIN!  Yes, it wasn't as bad as it is now in the beginning.  It's been the worst the past 2 years, correlating with the eye problems.  The other major symptom is a constant feeling of drainage that is stuck somewhere behind my eye and I can't get it to drain down my throat or come out my nose and my neck muscles are killing me from trying.  I blow so hard sometimes that my uvula gets stuck up into my left nostril cavaty!!!  I have done so much internet research and the only thing I can attribute all of this to is Sphenoid Sinus problems.  So, I have scheduled an appt with an ENT on July 8th.  Meanwhile, I am ordering some Eucalyptus oil and using hot steam to see if that will help.  The steam seems to help for a little while, but this is getting to the point of where I am longing for death's sweet release, and I DON'T WANT TO FEEL THAT WAY!!!  I WANT TO BE HERE FOR MY HUSBAND AND MY DAUGHTER!!!  

Even though your symptoms look like that of a chronic sphenoidal sinusitis its always advisable to get a CT scan done to confirm the diagnosis. Meanwhile you can take Mucolytics (like bromhexine/ambroxyl) and do steam inhalations 2-3 times per day.

Regards
OHNS2010

Regards
OHNS2010
Regular use of these neti pots has been found effective in reducing the nasal congestion and pain. In fact, many claim that due to the nasal irrigation through neti pots, their dependency on medicines and inhalers have actually reduced. The nasal irrigation through neti pots has been found to have alleviated symptoms of asthma, hay fever.
You could have sphenoid sinusitis, but it could be something else.  Not much you can do until you go to the ENT and get an ENT's view of your problem. Never ever accept the "psychological" explanation, and never give up.

If it turns out to be sinusitis due to an chronic infection, and you are unable to remove it by conventional means, I have developed a different sort of sinus irrigation:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground.

Neti pots and other sinus irrigations often don't work for sphenoids, because gravity intervenes before saline can get that high in the head.

However, do not bother to try it until you have visited the ENT.  In the meantime, a Vicks machine in your room overnight works pretty well.
Thank you so much for your comment.  I have visited your posting and am very interested in seeing if this would work for me.  I will try it after the ENT appt.  I have an inversion table which helps the pressure while I am inverted.  This is another reason why I think it is the Sphenoid Sinus.  Finally, while I hate to admit it, our home has a very bad black mold issue.  We've lived in this house for 15 years.  We are going to be moving out of it in a year.  I am soooooo looking forward to that.  I know that has to be one of the reasons for my continued health issues.
I almost forgot to add the details on how to do neti pot therapy effectively. Here it is :

1. Make a saline solution using warm water. You need to take care of the fact that the water should not be too cold or too hot.
   2. Tilt your head a bit and pour the warm water into the upper nostril from the spout of the Neti pot.
   3. You will feel the water running through the passage and then pouring out from the other nostril.
   4. Keep the neti pot in the same angle so as to let the water flow into your nose due to gravity.
   5. Finally when the water in the neti pot is exhausted and when all the water has gone out of another nostril, come back to the normal position.
   6. Repeat the above steps for the other nostril now.
   7. After the process is complete, gently exhale so as to release any water inside.

You can find more details here: http://www.netipotter.com/neti-pot-sinusitis
Thank you so much for taking the time to write me and tell me about neti pot therapy.  One of the Physician's Assistants I have seen has told me he does this and it helps him.

My CT scans came out clear, so still do not know what the pain is being caused from.  I am consulting a chiropractor and have gotten some relief as he thinks it may be nerves being pinched in the C1 through C3 vertabrae.