Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Stabbing pain in throat and chest when I swallow...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

On Monday, I was sampling a piece of pasta that ended up being very hot.  Flustered, I swallowed it and felt it burn me all the way down.  Now (Thursday) and ever since, I have had very painful swallowing.  My esophagus seems to burn and I get a stabbing/tightness feeling in my chest.  Also, every so often, I feel a sort of reflux and get the urge to burp even though I haven't eaten anything.  Is this related to the hot food?  Could I really have burned my insides, and if so, what can I do?

Or is this something else entirely and just coincidental that I burned myself on Monday?  The pain is bearable, but it does make eating quite unpleasant.