Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Staph Infection In Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Staph Infection In Throat

Dear Doctor
My 18 year old son is away at college and he has been ill for the past 2 weeks with a fever and v.sore throat.  

A week ago he had a throat culture taken and he has just been diagnosed with Staph Infection in the throat. In spite of being given a general antibiotic, his fever and sore throat has continued.  I am concerned that this comes on top of a bad bout of hives (3 weeks ago)that covered his body. The hives seemed to go away after a few days of taking an antihistimine.  

Questions:
1. Could the hives be related to the staph infection?
2. If the symptoms have persevered for 8 days after starting an antibiotic, is this proof that it is not working?
3. He is terribly run down and unable to sleep due to the fever and sore throat - could something else more serious be wrong?