Sternum pain, cracking, tearing sound
I quit working out so vigorously about a year ago and I am experiencing a consistent popping, painful sternum. Every time i raise my arms over my head or push out my chest it hurts, once it pops, it will pop every time I stand up straight or raise my arms over my head. My doc told me that it could be a dislocated rib. I found that if I don’t try to pop it, my sternum feels better but I like to straighten myself out every now and then so im not so slouched over and that causes pain. Also when I do work out now it pops. When I do sit ups it hurts and feels like it is going to pop, until it finally does, then I feel better. its a vicious cycle. do I need to get a x-ray or do anything about i? my doc said things like this usually work their way back if it is a dislocated rib, but that was like 6 months ago.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For any fracture or dislocation to heal, it needs to be immobilized. If you continue to exercise it may not heal. And investigations like X-rays and CT scans  will help clinch the diagnosis. Take OTC pain medications like Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. Place ice over the painful area every 1-2 hrs for pain relief. Practice breathing exercises. Try sleeping on the injured side to alleviate the pain. But please consult your primary care physician for evaluation of pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.