Strange Throat Noises/Inability to burp
I've put this under throat disorders but I honestly have no idea what this is. I have never burped, at least never in my adolescent and adult life. I've asked my parents about when I was a baby but they couldn't give me a definite answer. Anyway, instead of burping, I get these gurgling, growling noises in my chest and throat. I can't stop them, quiet them, or avoid them (by not eating certain foods, etc...). I have searched for similar cases but have not found any.

I am hoping someone can help me or at the very least, someone is somewhat familiar with this situation. Thank you for your time.

Btw, I am 20 years old, female, caucasian. No known illnesses or allergies.
the gurgle noise you are talking about does it happen after eating or drinking? anyway my nan had something similar to you but when we investigated it we were told that she had a pocket in her throat, were food or drink would pocket for abit and the gurgle noise was the gas. she had surgery and it was removed and she was grand. my cousin also had a pocket. as far as i am aware it is not life threatning but i am no doctor. you could find that this is no relevance to your problem but it sounded similar. hope i helped.
Have you seen this thread?
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/357550
I have the exact same problem. Ive been in and out of doctors and all of them just kinda brush it off. I know that i was born with nerve damage in my throat so i just kinda figured it was because of that. But  every time i ask a doctor about it they act like they don't care. One doctor prescribed prilosect (omeprazole) but all it did was made it worse. I use to think it was just the gas coming back up and i just never knew how to burp so thats just what happened. But I don't feel thats the case anymore. And i recently found out that if i lay down on my left side i will start making the "gurgle/growling" noises.

btw. im also 20 years old, male, caucasian. and my only illness, if its even considered that is severe anxiety.

if you find out anything please let me know.
I was looking for answers on the internet about what this is, as also me and my mother have it and are sick of not knowing what it is, she says she had it since she was at school, we also have the inability to burp and make these strange noises!! my mother thought it might be due to tension,as when she's totally relaxed it doesnt seem to happen. I also find this at times. Has anyone found anything yet??

by the way, I am also 20, female, causcasian!
i have this same problem! i havent been able to burp since i was two years old. i also get the gurgling sound and discomfort, i always thought it was just a burp trying to come out but not being able to. ive asked doctors before and they just brush it off and tell me they dont know. i have no idea what this is or what it means! i hope someone has answers!

by the way, i am 17, female, caucasian.
My husband was unable to burp for many years.  He was actually jealous of my ability to burp loud and long.  He underwent treatment for an ulcer and amazing gained the ability to burp.  My son now has similar symptoms and we will be asking the doctor if an ulcer could be to blame.
im the same.. i can't burp what so ever! it really annoys me, when im nervous i make this noise in my froat :/ but i do it all the time when im bloated. everyones says im weird lol all my family can burp and i can't
:( also i find it hard to swallow things. please help anyone, its embarrassing!
I have the same problem! Ive never been able to burp and when I'm on my left side it gets really loud. I can't control it. It happens all the time for me and I'm very aware of it when I'm sitting close to someone in a quiet room. I assume if heard people would think that it's a stomach growl. My husband said it was dyspepsia buy I googled that and it said indigestion. It doesn't hurt it's just rather annoying especially   in quiet situations. I never thought about anyone else having it. But it's oviously something. I'll look further into it.
My best friend in college actually dubbed it 'the little man in my throat'. She still refers to it as that anytime she hears it. :P

btw I'm a 30 year old caucasian female  
I was just sitting at the computer, the record just ended so it's quiet and I noticed those gurgles from my tummy I have become accustomed to and decided randomly to Google this issue.  A little glad to know I'm not alone.  I will say, no matter what this is, I am not upset I cannot belch the alphabet.  On another note, during my 27 years I have noticed things that make the gurgling worse such as doing things that make you swallow air such as chewing gum for prolonged periods of time or gulping down liquids.  Also, not eating makes the noises more frequent for me as well.  So, no replacing meals with gum, you're regret it!    
I have the same problem!! My mother told me that even as a baby it was VERY VERY hard to make me burp. However, I have learned that every now and then I CAN burp but.... if I do, WATCH OUT!!! Everything in my stomach will be immediately behind it!!  I am also VERY underweight and have been since I was 2 or 3. Wondering if these two things might be related    ???  and I have also noticed, as "randomly" said, the noises are much worse when I go a while with out eating.

oh, and I'm 27, caucasian, female
I, too, have always had these extrmely strange noises coming from my throat. I've never been ablle to make myself burp, but i never thought the two were connected until now. It's always been very annoying to me. It frustrates me in quiet situations. And, like 'the little man in your throat', mine was 'the monster in my throat.' lol. I've asked my doctors about it, and they never really have anything helpful to tell me.

And I'm and 18 year old, female caucasian.
I have the exact same problem!! as I'm writing this, its happening, but it happens after I eat and because I'm still in school, have lunch there and its so loud it can be heard in the lesson!! I want to stop it please help!!

p.s. I'm female aged 16
I have the same problem.  Gurgling/growling noises from my lower throat and/or right around my sternum.  I also have never been able to make myself burp.  Sometimes I do burp...like maybe once a year?  But it is random, no control over it, and usually accompanies a hiccup.  Speaking of which...I hiccup ALL THE TIME.  Everyday.  Several times per day.  Sometimes the hiccups are extremely painful, other times, not painful at all, but ALWAYS present, it seems.  The whole situation is so very annoying, especially specific times when you are in quiet situations, interviews, etc. :(   Wish I could make it stop.  Been doing it since elementary school and it has only gotten worse.  I am 31, female, caucasian.  Only health conditions are a thyroid disorder (hypothyroidism).
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have the same issue of weird throat noises and sometimes it sounds like a burp, but isn't. Other times it's almost creaky. It's unbelievably embarrassing, especially on dates. I can't figure out how to make it stop, but I have noticed that it's worse when my nerves are at all on edge.
I have the same problem!! but in addition to the gurgling noises, and inability to burp i get hiccups several times a week

-Female Caucasian 29
It's amazing how many people on here have the same problem! I thought I was the only one! Just like everyone else, I can't burp at all. I have had the growling noises since elementary school and I am now in college. It is incredibly embarassing in quiet situations because it's hard to explain to other people. I'm sorry I can't help (yet) as I am looking for a solution as well, but I can advise laying on your right side because it stops the noises.
i have the same thing, and i wish i could cure it too! it happens weather i eat or not, weather i drink or not! its so frustrating and embarrassing!

im 16, female, asian/hispanic (i seem to be the first non caucasian to have this problem lol)

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your issue, as I can burp--but I also get the "throat growling." It used to be a fairly persistent issue and pretty embarrassing--it'd often happen to me more than once in class, and it's been an issue for me as long as I can remember. Turns out my problem with it was more related to acid reflux. My doctor put me on Nexium recently, which pretty much fixed it. I almost never get the "throat growls" anymore. I don't know if acid reflux could be your issue, but it might be worth asking your doctor about.
Also: I am 19, female, and caucasian.
I too like all of you get these strange sounding noises. Mine however sound and feel like it's working it's way up but never comes out. The feeling starts at about the breast bone. I never need to open my mouth to expel like you would with a burp. When I lay down it's worse and after drinking water. And there is no way to control them. Very embarrassing when you are with a man. All I can say is "Sorry but I'm not burping".
Do we have any solution yet to this problem?
I have yet to find a good solution to this problem other than to vomit the air out. Sometimes I feel sick enough to bend over and it happens. Otherwise put your fingers to the back of your throat and you will do a massive burp (and then stop before you properly vomit and the problems goes away, only soon to return... I'm a doctor so I know other doctors wouldn't understand this symptom or have a medical solution. Essentially you would want something to remove the air in the stomach that you could take, but sadly such a thing does not exist!

And the idea this is acid reflux is a load of rubbish (evidenced by the fact that the problem goes away once you remove air from your stomach - but that will be what any generalist doctor will try and tell you.. or anxiety. I guess its quite rare and not serious enough for people to have investigated and written in a book.
yep I have this too. inability to burp since I can remember. happens sometimes randomly but I think usually after I eat / drink. I don't know about you guys but it also happens when I am turned on.
I have this too. I'm 36 and have never met anyone with it.

Was always embarrassing when I was dating cause it gets worse when I am anxious or nervous. Bit of a cycle cause I would be anxious about the noise happening at the wrong time and that made it happened!

Friends and my husband have tried to teach me to burp. No luck.

It is worse if I lay on my left side.

It is worse if I have been out at night dancing and talking loudly(regardless of drinking, although drinks do make it worse)

It is not painful. It is not acid reflux which I have had. Completely different.

It is air that wants to be released and the only way is by initiating a vomit-which is mentally exhausting as the release of air is so loud and being in a public washroom is stressful.

I would consider surgery if it was not very invasive or risky.

Commenter 14488 said 'a pocket in the throat' fixed by surgery... How can we find out more?

Please help
I too have problems with noise. I'm taking omeprazole and and even sucralfate and its not solving anything. Rather I think its making it worse. The person who had surgery done, please let us know what kind of surgery and more details.
That's such a relief, me and my sister have the same thing and i know how annoying it is when everyone is silent and then there is your oesophagus making freaky noises. Also it makes it really difficult to breath properly as if i take a deep breath my throat will reply with a growl! So relieved i'm not the only one.
I have the same problem, i can't burp, i don't know how to and i get a gurgling noise from my throat after eating a meal or drinking too much. It's not painful bt makes my chest ache sometimes like after you have had hiccups, that kind of ache. Want it to stop, please help:(
i'm female, 16
Both I and my mother have had this inability to burp and gas buildup with throat gurgling; however, she reported to me that she had an epidural during childbirth (with me) and she let out and extremely large burp in the delivery room and has been "cured" ever since. Obviously, we haven't pinpointed a cure, but if that information helps anyone else discover anything that can be done...this is AWFUL to live with! I've never attempted to initiate an air-vomit, mostly because I have what borders on a fear of vomiting and I could never do such a thing to myself. Please keep posting here -- maybe collectively we can find something to help us!!!

Btw, 32 y/o f here; have "accidentally" burped maybe a dozen times as long as I can remember! My mother had this problem until she was about 30.
My throat also tends to gurgle. I too, cannot ever remember burping. Sometimes I wish I could just so this problem could go away. I think, if whoever's theory above is correct about the Inability to burp being tied to the gurgling noise,  then I think I am also thankful for it. Burping is considered rude in my opinion, Although I'd hope for the gas in my throat to be released rather than it just sitting there or coming up the esophagus or trachea and back down. It has its pro's and con's. I, for one have never had it checked out but plan to in the future. Unlike most comments above, Mine USUALLY only happens within an hour after eating, and if only i put my head down on a desk at school as I'm in my Senior year of Highschool and graduating in a few weeks.
I'm almost 18, Caucasian and female.
It gets worse with pregnancy...
Hi katie457, I have had this exact problem since I was 12. Sadly it took me 34 years to figure it out and conquer it. The culprit was carbohydrates, which in turn could be gluten. Still not sure. But try a low carb diet and see if it works for you. Beer, pasta dinners and bread would cause the "growlies" to take over and I was miserable.
A dinner of steak, salad, cheese etc for me = no growlies and a good nights sleep on my side. Hope this helps!
Ive had this forever and never thought about googleing it until now! im 26 yr old white male.  I mostly noticed also when i was nervous or after i ate. ( i remembe rkissing girls and making the noise sometimes lol) i just drank all night and ate taco bell and now im doing it worse then ever.... I never burp unless one random one twice a year haoppens.  I swear it has something to do with not beiung able to burp to release the gases.
Also i never vomit either, i think i did when i was a young child and the only other time i did was when i was really drunk and was underage.  Id mostly just dry heave if i was about to though.
Just thought everyone would like to know that there is a technical name for the gurgling sound/feeling in our throats that we experience. It is called Boyce's Sign. Boyce's Sign usually comes from a condition called esophageal diverticulum which is a pocket in our esophagus. Fortunately, it is nothing serious but it does cause annoying symptoms: acid reflux, trouble swallowing, trouble burping, neck pain, bad breath and rarely in more severe cases phenomena. If your symptoms are bothersome enough you can have surgery to remove the pocket, but usually surgery is not needed. I too suffer from Boyce's Sign, acid reflux, inability to burp and trouble swallowing. I will be finding out in a week if esophageal diverticulum is the cause for me. Good luck to you all! Hope I helped ease your minds.
I am also going through the same problem its very annoying ..but i have noticed that these weird growling sounds mostly start after having a meal usually after an hour or so i dont know the exact reason for this and have searched alot ...most people say it is due to gas and indigestion ...or after eating carbohydrates ...but these strange noises start and stop at their own and i have no control over them ....btw i have tried Mucaine suspension it has really helped alot ...and these embarassing noises usually stop after 5 to 10 mins of taking this syrup :) hope this helps some of u
First of all - I am glad to know I am not the only one suffering from this. Most people and doctors either have no idea what I'm talking about or think I'm crazy when I try to explain it.

However, I think it's funny that everyone is posting that they are 'Caucasian.' lol  I'm not sure why it matters if you're white, brown or what ethnicity or background you are? If someone posts but says they are something other than "Caucasian" are you less likely to believe or trust what they are saying?

I'm almost 40 and I've been suffering from this for as long as I can remember. I can't burp (unless I'm really sick and about to vomit) and I know the noises are so loud they can be heard by other people (because I work in a spa where it's very quiet). I have tried altering my diet, but that didn't work or help. It does seem that at times the noises get worse if I'm hungry and especially if I'm hungry and decide to chew gum. And as someone in another post mentioned, laying on my left side also makes it worse, but switching to my right does make it stop.

I have not been to see an ENT about it. So I am curious about the "pocket in throat" surgery - another poster left. I have asked many of my other general doctors over the years and during my routine visits and check-ups my concerns have been dismissed. All that being said - I am NOT Caucasian. I am a well educated, working mother of 2, born to 2 parents that can burp just fine. Both of my children have no problem burping. Hopefully before I need a facelift, I can find an answer for this gurgling problem. :)
I have this exact same problem, have had it ever since i was little. unfortunately, nothing helps. i have tried just not eating at all, and that helps, but yeah it's super embarrassing :/ if anyone knows anything, it would be much appreciated!!
~Female, Caucasian, 16
I, too, have suffered with strange throat gurgling noises my whole life, as has my brother, so its definitely genetic.  My mom says that both of us were very difficult to burp when we were babies, and now that we're older neither of us can burp voluntarily - I burp maybe a few times a year, completely unexpectedly.  I also don't throw up - haven't since I was young (though my brother seems to throw up just fine), and I have difficulty swallowing things whole (like pills).  Although I used to become really embarrassed by the throat gurgles (especially when they would happen in quiet places, like while taking exams in college), it seems to have gotten better in recent years.  I've never found any correlation between diet and throat gurgles, nor found any other correlation or any remedy that really stops it, other than breathing out deeply - it just stops on its own, when its ready, usually after a few minutes.

I do have an interesting note to add though - I recently became pregnant (18 weeks along now), and it has definitely affected it.  I'd read that when you become pregnant you often burp a lot more, and I wondered how that would affect me, since I can't burp.  It turns out that I do get the "gurgly throat" more (since the burps aren't being released), and if it gets really bad then I'll actually start dry heaving burps.  No food actually comes up (like I said, I don't vomit), but I dry heave nasty burps - I think it's the only way my body knows how to release the pent up air.

Female, 26 yo, Caucasian (Just an aside in relation to another commenter's post - I don't think posting ethnicity has any bearing on the validity of people's comments, but I do think it is interesting to hear what ethnicities seem to be affected by this.  The vast majority (at least the ones commenting here) are Caucasian).
I know the solution!

I had the same problem for many years. Recently i started to take a medicine called Omeprazol which is for heartburn. You can buy it from a pharmacy whitout prescription. Since I've started to take this medicine my throat has stopped making these annoying noises.
And it has completely changed my life!

Really recommend it !
I've had this problems since middle school! The worst is when the class was silent and all you could hear was my stomach, classmates would laugh and I would try to hold my breath to make it stop but that made it worse.

It happens if I eat with somebody, and talk at the same time. I think it's because if you eat and speak, you ingest more air, therefore you need to burp more. I CAN burp but I'm terribly embarrassed to burp if someone's around so the air gets stuck and then, if I go to the restroom to try and burp, I can't anymore.

Situation 1. If I'm at a party when all of that happens and I have to dance, it gets horribly painful. I start to hiccup, I feel like there's a balloon in my stomach.

To make it stop, I need to be ALONE, in bed, on my left side and it only takes like 15 minutes until I can burp and then it's all ok.

Situadion 2. If I sit down and eat and talk to people, I get the sounds, not too much pain but I get horribly bloated, so bloated that even if I sit on the toilet for 2 hours I can't do anything.

I was first diagnosed with Gastritis, then IBS but I don't have the typical symptoms of either of those, no stomach lesions, no spastic colon, nothing !!

Only God (or whoever you believe in) knows what it is.

My solution is to avoid eating with people, which is sad. If I do eat, I explain my situation and I try not to drink anything, and eat a small portion of food.

If I have to go on a date / party / dinner, I eat at home, then I go and basically pretend to eat.

Wish I had a better plan.

I'm 24, female, caucasian.

This is a very brief article on a problem that maybe behind many of your inabilities to burp and sensations of 'stuck' air in your stomach.

http://www.eldiariony.com/2015/01/20/why-is-my-throat-making-%C2%91frog%C2%92-noises/

If you discuss it with a specialist doctor then they can test you for it and if necessary there is a surgery to fix the issue.
I have it to I'm 70 had it all my life, very embarrassing I'm going to try that OMEPRAZOL over the counter , and see what happens ?
Ive also had this problem for years! Im 27 years old. When I eat a little more in one sitting or drink alcohol it gets pretty bad. Theres a strange as I would call it a "light roar" that comes up through my throat. I also never burp, only about once or twice a year unexpectedly because of a hiccup. Everyone thinks Im nuts and Im not "relaxing" when I try to burp! Lol. IVe had stomach problems all my life too with bloating and such. Had my gallbladder out recently which helped but Im still having these problems! Anyone have an answer? My docs just tell me acid reflux but the meds didnt work..
Thank god I found other people who have this problem. I only started getting this a few years ago, maybe when I was 15 but I've never been able to burp as well. I always played it off as nothing and my friends thought I was so weird for not being able to, I'm now 21 and the gurgling has gotten to an all-time annoying level, so much so that I cant sleep at night and have to just wait for it to go away. I was diagnosed with acid reflux but i rarely, if ever, have symptoms of it, I take all the meds for it and have tried all the home remedies but it's not acid reflux I'm trying to cure, I'm just  misinformed. I now know what it is and am starting the Omeprazole today to try and stop it for good. I did notice that when i cut carbs out, it stopped for a bit, ive since started eating them again and it's come back. Hope this stuff works because it's unbelievably annoying in class or with people. Good luck to everyone.
I have the same problem Im 20 I have never been able to burp neither it also started when I was 15, its so embarrassing because Im a massage therapist and I feel horrible
I've also had this problem for ages. It's super embarrassing as I'm still in school and it always seems to happen when the class goes quiet. I've been turned away many times by doctors and they have absolutely no idea what's wrong and think it's no big deal. However I did a bit of googling and found this article http://www.laopinion.com/2015/01/20/why-is-my-throat-making-%C2%91frog%C2%92-noises/ which is the most promising thing I've read so I might ask my doctor about this. Hopefully this is what we've all got and can be cured because it is really embarrassing and does hold me and I'm sure many of you back from living life to the fullest. - 18, caucasian, female.
I'm 40 and have noticed this very strange empty burp in my esophagus, if you will, when I lay on my left side. This last year I've also noticed major swelling in my hands and a red rash that resembles childhood pimple outbreaks on my face. I'm pretty tired all the time but honestly have thought that was because I'm a full time real estate Broker with a three year old and not a ton of help managing our home life schedule (married to a doctor!)

I'm desperate for a diagnosis. No one can figure me out. I've been seeing an internist for 6 months and have been tested for everything from Lupus to Hemotomocrosis. Nada enchilada. Help!!!

Desperately seeking answers.  Was a former college volleyball player and have always been fit, full of life and happy. This is super depressing.