Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Strange Yellow Liquid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Strange Yellow Liquid

Hello!
I'm Bella, I am a 19 year old female. I was lying in bed just now when i felt a liquid stream out of my left nostril, i thought it was a nose bleed until i turned on the light and saw that it was a bright yellow color. Not very much came out but it was very watery unlike mucus. I have recently gotten over a viral throat infection that lasted about a week and a half and still am slightly congested from that. What could this liquid be? spinal fluid? or just strange mucus left over from the sickness? should i go to the ER?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s unlikely to be cerebrospinal fluid. It should most probably be due to an infection. This is more so as you have had a recent infection. The consistency of the fluid will depend on the type of infection. Clear discharge can also occur with allergic reaction.  If it persists consult your doctor for an evaluation. You could practice good breathing exercises, humidify your room and do steam inhalations.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi, I'm 15 and suffer from tonsillitus very badly. I get it many times a year, however even when I don't have it I have very thick, bad tasting dark yellow gunky liquid at the back of my throat which I can't get rid of. It coughs out a lot and I don't know what it is. I have very regular dental hygeine and try to take care of my mouth. I have no idea what it is and have never heard of it before. Is there anyway to get rid of it? And would I be eleigible for tonsillectomy? as it is kind of taking over my life

Thankyou,
Andy