Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Strange gas smell ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Strange gas smell ...

Oookay, so, it's a little strange, really, because I've gotten this quite a few times over the last few years, and it usually lasts a week, sometimes less, but it's never been this strong. When I breathe in and ESPECIALLY when I breathe out I can smell gasoline, but it smells a little sweeter... It's weird and it annoys me and is distracting me from my work. Anyways, I've developed a very dry throat, my eyes have been watering constantly, and I seem to be having a harder time concentrating than usual (like my mind has become fuzzy or something), and it's not just because of the smell ... I looked up the other nose smelly things, but it all involves mysterious smoke smells, or some symptoms that I haven't had, luckily.

I've never had asthma, nor any other respiratory problems in my life, and I haven't been doing anything strange, like drugs or a different diet ... so what the heck is this? I don't want to assume the worst, but it won't stop! It happens, oh, let's say, every couple of months, and the smell comes and goes, but now it's constant, every time I breathe in AND out. It's sickening! Any help?
I am experiencing the EXACT thing.  I am really curious to know if there are any suggested remedies for this condition. As you stated, it is really distracting, and I also find it quite annoying. I do not like the smell of gasoline, and it actually interrupts my attempts to sleep; however, once I am asleep, I sleep well.
Starting yesteday (7/15/08), I have had the constant smell of gasoline/exhaust fumes (it's the only thing I can relate it to) in my nose.  I, too, would like to know what causes this.  It is very annoying, considering that the smell of gas/exhaust makes me nauseous.  
Same here, exactly....it's driving me mad. everything smells and even tastes "gassy" and/or "moldy". i can't exactly put my finger on it but is has been extremely distracting and annoying.
for the past few months I smell something like sweet, burnt logs, or old ashes but sweet.
It hits me at different times and different places so I know it is internal. Very annoying and a little scary, Like what is going wrong internally that is causing this smell? I am being treated for GERD, LPR and also have sinus problems. Have trouble swallowing and drainage.
Very strange - I have the same problem and I have neglected telling anything for fear of sounding insane.  It's so annoying - constant smell of exhaust/gas but w/o the headache I would probably have if it was actually exhaust.  I've noticed I can no longer wear perfume, it just smells horrid and so strong and I barely spray a 1/2 spray.  I have had to take off my shirt with the perfume on it and shower just to get the smell off.

Anyone gone to the dr to get this checked out?

I do smoke and have for years but this is new... and so strange and just plain annoying.  
I have the gas smell also. I have been getting the episodes for about 5 years. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Even after being medicated for it I still have the smell episodes. ( having and have had one now going on 9 days) I have had an MRI EEG and a CT done. My Drs have all dismissed me and say they don't know why. They don't even seem interested. Like I am making it up or something. I even went to the DR today and I still have no answers.
Wow...count me in.  I too smell gas/exhaust wherever I go.  Burning sensation in the eyes, no different than if I were to be in an enclosed area with strong engine exhaust present.
What the heck is this anyway?
I've told my wife and she initially gave me the ol' raised brow of skepticism.  After showing her a thread like this one, she now believes me and wants and answer or two just like me.
Dan - MN
There are many causes of phantosmia, you can google it, but notice that it often starts after a sinus infection.  A common cause, and the only one you can cure, is an infection of the upper sinuses (frontal and sphenoid) by anaerobic bacteria, which may or may not produce any other symptoms of sinusitis.  Here is the cure:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322
The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground. A regular sinus saline irrigation won't work, because of gravity.

If it works for you, continue to flush for 3 days after the smell goes away, or it can grow back, which it did 2 times to me before I figured it out.  By the way, along with the dogpoop smell, I've also experienced, and removed, the gas smell.
I had the same thing, I went to my doctor and she said it was related to allergies. She gave me some prescription allergy medicine and prescription nose spray. After a week it was gone!

So I think it would be a good idea to visit your doctor and see if its related to allergies.
I've experienced the same thing...but the smell of dog poop instead of gasoline.  I was told that it was Sinusitis - an inflammation of the sinuses - which usually occurs after having a cold.  The sinuses become inflammed and trap in the mucus that usually drains out with a cold.  The mucus then starts to collect bacteria and this starts to create that awful smell.  Some home remedys are nasal decongestants, nasal sprays for inflammation, and things of that nature.  There are 2 types of Sinusitis - acute and chronic.  Acute lasts less than 4 weeks, and usually clears up on it's own.  Chronic is a lot tougher to get rid of.  It usually lasts at least 8 weeks, and most of the time has to be treated with antibiotics from your doctor.  Sometimes it takes more than one type, and usually includes an antibiotic nasal spray along with the pills.  If you still have symptoms after 4 weeks, you need to visit your doctor before it turns into a more serious condition which required surgery to clean out the sinuses and relieve the inflammation.  Good luck to everyone suffering from this!!  I hope you all feel better very soon!
I`ve had the smell of gas and exhaust fumes for over a year. It kept us prisoner in our home.  It was so bad my wife of 58 years marriage left home on 26 April 2010 to stay with one of our daughters.  I taped the doors,  windows, blocked the vents run 2 ceiling fans, 2 portable fans and 3 extractor fans.

It was not until last week Wednesday 4 August my grand-daughter found this page on the internet. For which she has my deepest gratitude.

I saw my doctor this morning 9th who prescribed Beconase Nasal Spray and Naseptin Nasal Cream 10 days supply.  I can only pray they work
I too have had a strange fuel smell ever since I fell and banged up my nose pretty badly.  I thought I had a sinus infection but my blood work shows no sign of infection.  This smell comes and goes and accompanies a sinus headache.  A new symptom just developed a week ago, which is hives.  All over me.  I'm wondering if they are related somehow.  My doctor seems to think I'm insane... Anyone else get hives?  Ever heard of this?
  From freebee 975. Thought I`d let you all know how I got on with the medication, not to good.  I have an appointment with a hospital on the 2nd November. Will mkeep you all informed as to what happens.  Best of luck to all sufferers.
Okay, I can't find any answers as to why this is happening to us!
I tell my family about it and they can't relate.

I also reassure them that it's not a smell I'm smelling in the house.  It's just something I am gathering in my nasal/sinus passages.

It's not like when I *sniff* I actually smell it, because when I sniff I am able to smell in general. When I smell the gasoline/exhaust type of smell, it's just there when I'm breathing like normal.  It's like the odor is gathering at my throat or something.  It's hard to explain.
Also, lately I've been having some sinus issues, not cold like symptoms... But typical drainage and slight ear aches. So, I have no clue!

But like I said, if I actually sniff to smell, I don't smell it anymore. It's just when I am sitting here. I swallow because my mouth doesn't seem clear and it actually is.
I just got done with my third steroid injection for a herniated disk in my neck.  Everywhere I go I smell exhaust/gasoline.  This is driving me nuts!
My wife thinks it's a product of the steroid shots.  I feel for all of you that have this condition.  Anyone else out there with the same affliction?
I too have this weird smell but it is more of a hot chemical smell!  I
does remind me a bit like things I might have smelled in the hospital or dentists office.I have been having it ever since I had surgery Dec. 28 2011.  I too am going crazy and everyone said it is either a memory or infection. I have no drainage so I am confused on the infection part.My left side of my face started to pull up so I went to the emergency and they thought I was having a stroke! They did CT's MRI's and no results. They kept me over night and released me to the care of my doctors.
My regular doctor ignored me, the hospital doctors ignored me. I see a neurologist on the 4th. Who knows where that will lead.  If I find anything I will report.  Good luck all, if you find more let me know. Pat
I also have the smell of exhaust fumes.  It seems to start when my allergies are bad.  It usually goes away after a week or 10 days.  I have it now and I hope it goes away soon.  If anyone learns of a treatment or cure let us know.
Ugh same exact problem here...My family thinks I am crazy, when I sniff I can also smell normally but when I am just breathing in and out, all i smell is exhaust fumes.  It is actually starting to make me dizzy :(  don't know where to turn...Sounds like doctors don't have an answer either...
OMG i just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted here. i started smelling gas fumes a week ago and it keeps getting stronger. i have had my husband smell everything in the house (he is a 25 yr mechanic so he doesn't smell well let alone gas/oil smells) but even my bloodhound nose could not sniff it out. then i thought it was coming out of my pores. my eyes burn and i get migraines when i smell the slightest gasoline (and have had a 24/7 headache for 4 yrs now with no idea why) at first i thought it was in my head. a phantom smell, which made sense as i suffered sever abuse as a child. but then i realized i don't smell it as strongly outside where there is more space. i have had some minor allergy issues as its that time of year but nothing bad. had my second sinus surgery a few months ago and all is good and open. at least i have something now to go to my dr's with and if nothing else i know i'm NOT crazy. that means more to me than anything cuz i was about ready to have them commit me. thank you!
i sometimes get a like sweet smell of lamp oil,  and recently, for 2 days got the smell of like iodine, happens every couple or 3 months, very sweet smell like scented lapm oil , can't flush it out, just goes away on it's own, had it about 5 years now, really strange and annoying but can't figure what it means or why it happens, i'm pretty sure it's not natural!! no other basic symptoms of anything wrong or different when it comes on, all times of year, usually lasts 1-1.5 weeks, no matter where i go it follows!! wowo pretty weird!!??
I had a bad cold and flu in June, right at the time the air conditioners were being changed in my house. I thougth I could smell gas and was convinced that there was a leak. The technician came and checked everything but couldnt find a leak anywhere. The smell kept getting stronger and stronger but no one else could smell it. I began to smell this gas smell no matter if I was out of the house or in someone elses house.. or at the hospital where my daughter gave birth... I was really worried and couldnt find any answers on doing a google search.
After about 3 weeks the smell went away, but its back since the past week and today I started getting a sore throat.
By some good fortune I found this forum as I was searching for an answer for this strange delima..I cant say enough about how relieved I am that I am not alone in this strange situation. Has anyone seen an Otolaryngologist? It was suggested on one of the medical websites to see this type of Doctor to rule out that this strange smell is not being caused by other health problems.
I hope I can find some respite for this . I dont smoke or drink but I am overweight . And during the flu I had in June i was taking anti biotics, cough syrups and a tiny capsule that I had to just swallow ... it was a medicine to ease the sore throat and the infection in my the back of my throat. Could this tiny capsule that had medicine which coated my throat have caused this strange smell? I think it was called Benzonate or something like that. .
I too have this issue, & have had it now for close to a year now. It started as me smelling a diesel fuel type smell, for a few days, then it went away. A few months later it came back, this time lasting longer. It now happens at least once a month now, and lasts for anywhere from a week, to at the worst, about 3 weeks straight. I can smell other smells, but the diesel/gasoline smell is the one that I have ALL the time. It interferes with my sleep, & actually makes me nauseous occasionally, and very light-headed. I also have developed a sore throat with it the last 3 or 4 times, and it gets worse every time now. I can't take it anymore. My doctor doesn't seem at all concerned, says it's a sinus infection & gave me a nasal spray that did not work. I am at a loss & it's literally driving me crazy! I am so glad I am not alone in this, but am very sorry you all are suffering. I noticed that the first post was in February of 2008....has anyone actually found out what this is, or a possible treatment for it? I recently received a Neti-Pot & am planning on trying it tonight. If I get ANY relief, I will post here. I am also seeing my Neurologist soon, (for another condition) but will be mentioning this to him as well. If I get ANY info, I will post it here, but if I don't post, then I have no new info.

Good luck to all who suffer with this....may you find relief soon!
I had an issue with smelling/tasting gasoline or kerosene in my mouth.  I also have/had striations in my fingernails.  After seeing my doctor, I found out I was zinc deficient.  A simple zinc supplement twice a day has cured this awful taste.  

I hope this helps you!
I thought I was going mad!
had this for 3 weeks solid now :-(
A bit wary about going to the dr about it, but its driving me nuts!
So glad I found this forum, thought I was nuts. This smell has come and gone for at least the last couple of years. Today it came back worse than ever I was asking everyone at work if they could smell it, I had thought maybe the heat had been turned on and was the cause, nope. My eyes also burn and water as if I am actually smelling deisel type fumes. Yes I have smelled the poop smell in the past as well, in fact that seems to be first with the gas fume smell following it's heals. The latter makes me nauseous, I have always hated deisel fume smell even before this started.
The one symptom I haven't seen above that I also have especially during one of these "episodes" is severe dry heaving. For me this all started again 4 days ago while cleaning my Mom's house out, ALOT of dust, the heaves came on so bad it was embarrassing. When the heaves start with me it is usually when my nose starts to run or I get post nasal drip. I have noticed over the years that going from a warm environment out into the cold will trigger these extreme dry heaves. Now in reading all the posts above I am thinking these may be related and makes a little sense that the dust may have triggered it. I guess maybe keeping a diary would help, but till now no one I ever asked had any answers or the experience of this. I am just glad I have found others who at least understand the frustration. Anyway, if anyone else gets bad dry heaves at well please let me know? Thanks!
Oh yes and one more thing, a coppery taste is sometimes an issue...anyone else?
Why arent any Drs posting on this subject? I dont smell gas or fuel. With me its like sweet paint. I smell coffee all the time during the night while I sleep and also cigarettes burning and it actually stings my nostrils and throat. I had a negative EEG and neg MRI of the brain. I do smell things that actually exists so its not like I totally lost my sense of smell. I will say that the foods I eat arent as flavorful as they use to be.  What is my next step??
I was thinking the same thing joelc especially seeing this thread is like 3 yrs running...
Ok.. so went poking around this site and found many other threads on this same subject. The most promising "cure" and what I will be trying is here... http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush
It seems to make more sense to me than anything else I have read.
I am reading your stories, and wanted to let you know that it sounds as if you all also have phantosmia.  You can google this and read the symptoms.  I developed phantosmia in 1993, so almost 20 years ago.  The one thing that I have found that works is putting your head on the floor (rendering it upside down) and putting about 7 drops of saline solution into the affected nostril.  You need to stay in that position for about 2 minutes in order for it to work.  Please note, this does not cure the problem, but provides relief sometimes for the rest of the day and sometimes just a few hours.  I had phantomia for 7 years seeking medical help from everywhere (ENTs, Smell disorder specialist, GPs, Dentists, etc.) before I contacted Dr. Leopold.  He was the one that recommended doing this procedure.  My heart goes out to all of you.  I know how much this impacts my life, so I am sure it brings a lot of displeasure to yours as well.
I have the same exact thing. :( I cant get answers. Everyone acts like im crazy cause of it. Ive even developed panic disorder from it. I noticed it also gets bad if ive eaten an orange or smelled exhaust anytime I get it too. It lasts for a week or longer. HELP!!!
Wow I see im not only one who is having this issue..It started for me a week ago..I have been smelling gasoline and thought it was lawmower under the house. removed that and still the same issue..It has gotten worse as the week has went on. My eyes are red and irritated from this and even burning some. I was getting mad because I couldnt understand why my husband couldnt smell this gas smell. I seen some have wrote about doing a sinus rinse and I am gonna try this,,I need this to go away it is very aggravating to smell this every second of the day. Will report back as to how the sinus rinse did. Thanks all
well I can tell you its not seizures doing this..ive had seizures since 91 and have never faced this issue. I even had the kind of seizures you stated and never smelled anything weird before or after. I do agree that this could be sinus related thing
would love to know how this turned out for you? doing that rinse
I to have the exhaust smell ive been having this on and off for a couple of years sometimes it last up to 3 weeks sometimes a week and gos away for months i think it may be a sinus infection and we can smell it i also have bad ears and when my ears start to get all aching and running icky stuff the smell always returns or if i use q tips alot in my ears it returns and i can either get ear drops for a while and antibiotic the smells gos away so its very frustrating ive cried and cried just wishing it will go away but i really think we all may can smell our own infections that are in our ears throat and nose may sound crazy but i kinda think this from me experimenting a lil :(
i had been dealing with this thing for a few years now..the smell is kinda reminiscent of some type of fumes, not sure what kind though.  I find that once the smell comes on, (besides it being random)  it also last for different amounts of time and ranging from 10minutes to an hour.  Sometimes i get headaches with it and sometimes i don't.  I know it's not infection related, but i would like to know what it is related to.  I have hypothyroidism, but i don't think it is connected to that.  Can you guys maybe add some conditions to your reports on the smells so that maybe we can all see if we have anything in common?
I'm 18 and hav xperienced dis 4 2 years recently it has been occuring sooo often dat I get headaches n have nose bleeds at tyms da smell gets so bad I feel like thrown up! I dnt smke o do drugs. I smell chemicals, burning tyre and smoke constantly! I thawt I was insane until I googled dis a couple of days ago, I'm glad I'm nt alne! I hav tried nasal sprays and drops n salt water bt nothing wrks! Help needed urgent! Shanell
I have this same thing.  It's not always gasoline smell, sometimes it's dust or a sweet sugary smell.  It's usually set off by actually smelling the smell then it just seems to linger on, sometimes for hours, sometimes for days.  I developed it after going through chemotherapy when my sense of smell seemed to heighten. My sense of taste was affected too and that totally cleared up, the smell thing just hasn't.  

I've always been sensitive to smells and had sinus problems.  I've read that this is a symptom of your adrenel glands being "run down."  I'm trying now to build them up hoping this will solve it.
Same here, ditto for most. I am thinking something is blooming and our overtaxed olfactory systems are reading it as "gasoline".  Had these for two years now and most pronouncedly in the spring.  

Who knows ? Maybe we are smelling some premature strain of auto fumes. Does  everybody posting here live near busy roads?  I wonder if anyone who smells this lives in the country or on the coast i.e. far from frequent auto travel.
I do live in the country and have this smell too.  It smells like exhaust leak to me.  I recently ( about 3 months ago) received dentures and wonder if it is not due to them-maybe with my sinuses.  It is driving me crazy and I have had it for about a month straight now.  Wish you all good luck and I will continue to watch this and research!
I too have this same condition and have driven myself nuts trying to figure out the smell. I started having this problem after working at a cleaning compnay using lots of cleaning products plus I dry cleaned furinture with solvent and now have problem smelling regular smells but this one comes and goes quite abit...Please help!
We're all in this together.  I liked the suggestion of sharing our symptoms so we can discover what's causing this.  Here are my symptoms:  Muffler/exhaust fume smells.  Started Aug 2011 (3 mos after surgery on my caratid artery).  It lasts all day long.  My tongue and even the roof of my mouth burns sometimes.  My nose is cold as if I'm out in a winter storm even though I'm sitting in a hot room w/o AC.  I have dry heaves that make my chest ache, but no nausea.  No sore throat.  I can smell everything else w/ no problems, but the fume smell is always there.  The only way I can sleep at night is w/ a sleeping pill.  I've seen ENT, neurologist, drs of infectious diseases.  Nobody knows anything about this.  Dr. told me to take an antihistamine tablet (10mg) every 12 hrs.  That relieved the dry heaves only.  ENT gives me a shot of steroids in each nostril every 2 weeks.  This gives me some relief (it eases the discomfort), but several of my symptoms remain.   What do all of us have in common?  I take medicine for high cholesterol/blood pressure.  I've had major dental work done (teeth were filed down and capped).  Of course my caratid artery surgery occurred around my head.  Let's find our common ground.  Thanks for your help, everyone.  As I said, we're in this together!
I am new, history of lymphoma with sinus scarring, that was over 5 years ago, last four days I cannot smell anything but gasoline, I have been out of vehicle, out of house, everywhere I go I smell gasoline..not diesel, not oil,first migraine..low grade..in 28 years.. but all I smell is gasoline
I don't get it either. This first started happening 4 years ago when I started taking Chantix. I got this weird smell of gasoline wherever I went. No one else oculd smell it. It lasted days. Fast forward months later. No smell but then I was handling a box of Chantix and the next morning I woke up with the smell. At that point I was thinking this was psychological issue and that it was in my head. It lasted over a week.

Two days ago, almost four years after the last instance, I get it again. What is going on?

I read on other forums that someone said something about BRAIN TUMOR? i was like Uh... I hope not?
So weird that so many people have the same thing! I thought it was so weird that when I googled it nothing would show up about it. My eyes are watering and it makes md nauseated. Also light headed at times. I do have allergies so I'm guessing that's what it's from then. This is so strange!? Why the smell of exhaust!? Where does that play into allergies!? It gets so bad I can even taste it. Glad to know I'm not alone though.
I too have been suffering from this horrible gasoline smell.  I am pretty healthy, not on any medications, although have had gum surgery about a month ago.  Shortly after the surgery, I noticed the smell.  I took 1-1/2 Vicadin the day after the surgery, but that is it.  Not sure if that is related.  I smell this sickening gasoline odor everywhere, when I breathe in, out....it's in my throat and gives me a constant low-grade headache as well as a slight constant stomach ache that just doesn't seem to go away;  No one else smells it except me.  It does seem like it is worse when I pump gas.  I am also able to smell other things, but the gasoline smell just comes right back.  I can't stand it, It's driving me nuts.  I'm really glad I'm not the only one.....think I'm going to try the "saline" that someone recommended.
could be the toxins you are smelling from the aerial spraying we are all being bombarded with, I suggest you take a look at the video 'Why on Earth are they Spraying"
Like everyone else, I want to say "this is so weird."  To find this group of people who came together spontaneously while searching for answers to the same questions, and after receiving no help from their health professionals.  AND WE ALL HAVE IDENTICAL SYMPTOMS!  And, apparently no one in the health system knows anything about what we are experiencing.  Amazing!

I am convinced that what we are all experiencing is a reaction (possibly an allergic reaction) to medications that we are taking.  Or, more precisely, we are encountering an allergen that is prompting an allergic response that affects the way we absorb our medications.

I have severe narcolepsy, and have to take some powerful Rx drugs for it.  I take Adderall (adderrall) in combination with Effexor to try and maintain wakefulness during the day, and up until recently I was taking Ambien and Prosom at bedtime to try and get some productive sleep, on a normal circadian cycle.  I also take a beta blocker, Lopressor, for hypertension, and Lipitor for cholesterol.  Recently, my sleep specialist switched me from Ambien/Prosom to a very powerful drug, Xyrem.  The reason for the switch was that my night time sleep had become greatly disturbed, and my day/night sleep cycle was completely out of whack.

Like most posters here, I have been having this "fume-smell" problem for over a year now.  It first began last summer, when, over a three-day period, it kept getting worse and worse.  I'd wake up each morning and the smell would be so intense that it was burning my throat and nose.  The awful solvent smell got so intense that everything smelled and tasted wrong.  In desperation (I live alone), in the middle of last August I turned off the air conditioning and opened all the windows.  I ran the attic fan 24/7 to try and get rid of the smell.  Thankfully, it was a mild summer last year in South Carolina.  My PCP prescribed Flunisolide nasal solution, hoping it would give me some relief.  After a couple of months it went away.

But now it's back.  It returned about a month ago.  Only this time, it's a little different, and I have some experience dealing with it.  And, there was that big medication change right in the middle of it happening, and that had an effect on it.

In BOTH occurrences, last summer and this summer, I was doing a D-I-Y project that involved sanding paint.  Last year, I was painting my truck, this year, my front porch railing.  I did not use a dust mask either time.  I do NOT think it's a coincidence that the problem started right after I breathed in paint dust.  Both times, I thought I was getting a cold, or having hay fever.  I got a dry, scratchy throat, and was constantly having the sensation of something being stuck in my throat, which led to a slight sore throat.  Many of you have reported the same things.  THEN CAME THE AWFUL SMELLS.  The first thing I noticed, in addition to the smell, was that my medications weren't working like they were supposed to.  They weren't as effective, and, because mine are so time-specific, I noticed that they seemed to not work at the times they were supposed to.

But, because this cause my sleep doctor to change my night meds drastically, it caused me to see vividly that the awful smell was directly related to the meds I take.

Somehow, some way, that nobody seems to believe me when I tell them, whatever is happening inside me is interfering with my body's normal absorption of drugs, and causing them to be re-directed into my sinuses, causing the awful chemical smell.  Because of the very short half-life of both Effexor and Xyrem (both four hours), I'm able to see that they are the primary sources of the awful solvent or gasoline smell.  The Xyrem is VERY obvious.  It is a very potent and fast-acting drug.  It only works for four hours.  I have to take a dose immediately upon going to bed, and then take another dose four hours later.  It's supposed to ensure that I get a good 8 hours of restful sleep.  But it's NOT working!  I'm not going to sleep until two or three hours after I take it, and it's not ending after 8 hours, it's staying in my system for much longer.  BECAUSE IT'S GOING STRAIGHT TO THE MUCOUS MEMBRANES IN MY NOSE, SINUSES, AND MOUTH.  I took it before, about 5 years ago, and did not have this problem.  This time, if I wake up during the night, it feels like I'm "huffing" AIRPLANE GLUE!  Or, gasoline!  It's burns my nose so bad that sometimes I try breathing through my mouth, but I can smell it coming out of my mouth, too!  Just like so many of you have also experienced.  I feel like I've snorted onion juice!

But, because of Xyrem's short half-life, it gets out of my system relatively quickly.  And the worst of the smell goes with it.  But Effexor is causing the SAME smell in my nose, only not as strong as Xyrem.  And because of its short half-life, I can tell when it's passing out of my system too.

Which leaves the Adderall (adderrall).  Adderall (adderrall) smells sickly-sweet, like vanilla extract.  It's actually not a bad smell, if it didn't overpower all the other smells and tastes.  It's like I'm constantly holding a vanilla-scented candle under my nose.

I believe that it's all connected to histamines, and that the paint dust acted as a histamine H1 antagonist in my mucosa, somehow causing some or all of my most powerful prescription drugs to get re-directed and excreted in the mucus membranes.  I end up swallowing it again, since it makes its way down my throat to my stomach, screwing up with the normal metabolism of the medications, causing me to not get the effects from them when I'm supposed to.

I've also noticed a sudden increase in acid reflux, which at first prompted me to turn to my old remedy, Zantac 75, which had the unfortunate coincidence of also being another antagonist of histamine H1.  Also, histamine H1 exerts a major influence on the sleep cycle.  So I had a "perfect storm" of things to derail me.

Another reason that I suspect histamines are somehow involved is that in the beginning of this cycle of awful smells, when my sinuses started post-nasal dripping like a faucet, I reached for another old OTC remedy, an antihistamine, chlorpheniramine maleate, (the active ingredient in Chlor-Trimaton).  I had checked the package insert for Xyrem, and it does not mention anything about antihistamines adversely interacting with it, so I didn't think there would be a problem.  But, instead of the Xyrem working only 8 hours that night, I was practically in a "coma" for 14 hours!  And even then, I was totally messed up for another three hours!  I couldn't hardly walk!  It was wild!  I was like Guy Pierce in the movie "Memento"!  I had no short-term memory at all!  I gradually got back to normal after three hours.

Anyway, I think that's the root of our problem.  Basically, we have an allergy to something, and it's making our prescription meds go to our nose.

Sorry I had to write a friggin book to say it!
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention one thing.  Tinnitus (ringing in ears).  Anyone having that?  It's hovering around in the background about 50% of the time for me.  Not overwhelming, but just a little high-pitched whistle.  Goes along with the headaches.

I went to Rite-Aid yesterday and got a saline irrigation kit.  I've used it once, tonight, and it seems to have helped a little, but not much.  That nasty smell is still there for the most part.

Oh, and many have mentioned it seeming to come from deep down in your lungs, too.  Well, I experience that too, but I also had another experience with it coming out of another place.  It's kind of embarrassing to say, but I passed a large amount of gas a couple of days ago... and, yep, you guessed it... it smelled just like that nasty gasoline/mold/mildew smell my head has been full of!  But, maybe that was just my perception of it, with my rhino being all plastered and messed up.  If my nose was working right, maybe it would have smelled just like a fart is supposed to!  Who knows?  LOL.
I am SO glad I googled this today!!!   I feel so much better now knowing that there are more people with the same thing going on!!!  I swear I am not crazy is what I keep telling people!!!  I hate it!!!   Although I smell diesel alot, I am very hyper sensitive to many more things that nauseate me when around them, like Garlic- perfume-mold- just to name a few!!!   BLAHHHHHH   makes me wanna throw up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I am not on any meds--     it is so frustrating!!!   Thanks to everyone that posted..I dont feel so alone now!~
I too have TINNITUS and deaf in the left ear. About 3 weeks ago this gas smell hits me? It is bad and my nose waters for no reason with some snezzing. My tinnitus is so bad i cant focus and now this sicking gas smell. Please help
Wow - I'm not alone!  How have I never found this board before??  I've never said anything to my doctor before because I don't even know if I could describe in an intelligent way what was even happening.  I'm so relieved that I'm not going crazy or just imagining this.

One thing I've wondered about, and maybe you all can add some input to this idea..... Do you have any old, silver tooth fillings?  I had a lot of large cavities as a kid, and so have a mouthful of silver fillings.  I know that at least one of these is cracked.  I'm wondering if it's possible that it's slowly leaking mercury into my system, and if that could maybe be causing this.  What do you all think?

I, too, think it's odd that there's been no input from someone in the medical profession about this.  We can't all be crazy -- can we?
I too smell leaking gas this few days.  My place has no gas stove or gas heater at all.  Glad to have find this many people that have the same experience.  I think it is either our sinus or the spraying that is going on all over the country.  Funny, my husband cannot smell anything!!
I have been smelling the gas fume smell for several weeks.  I've had no new medications over 10 years, no damage to the nose, and no sinus issues ever.  I first noticed it at work and asked my co-workers to sit in my chair and see if it was from the vwent above me.  NOBODY could smell it.  Later I noticed it every where I go except outside.  I have noticed when blowing my nose I am getting blood which I never had before.  Being on Coumadin this used to be my sign of thin blood but now.....I don't know what it is from.  So glad I am not the only one experiencing this.  
I have to chime in.  I also got the crazy oil-smell thing after a minor head cold - and believe me it was scary and weird (note past tense).  I relate to all past comments in this string.  However, my condition was limited only to the strong smell of oil that was present in the absense of any other smell, I could still smell food, etc.  No other conditions like dry heave, etc.

The posting that mentions nasal wash was on the right trail.  My wife (R.N.) and a holistic medicine advocate remembered reading about the benefits of Xylitol in the nasal/sinus passage.  In short, this all-natural product prevents bacteria from adhering to cells and allows the body wash them away naturally - the result is less infections.

OK - so I've had this for a month and after reading these posts and taking my wife's advice I went to a local health food store and bought "Xlear" (pronounced "Clear").  I've only been using it for 24 hours and have a noticeable improvement!  So I'm not cured yet, but this is the first morning I can remember where I do not have the strong oily smell.  What I like about Xlear is that it's all natural and you can use it as often as needed without ANY side affects.  It promotes healthy sinus cavity and I recommend anyone try it that has not.

Here's the link: http://www.xlear.com/nasal-spray.aspx?gclid=CKuD9di-1rMCFSTZQgoddg8Azg

I am so sorry, I hadn't kept up on this thread:(
I did finally develop a full blown sinusitis and was given antibiotics. It took 2 rounds and I wasn't getting much relief. I had then gotten an infection (while on the antibiotics) at an incision site from a biopsy (unrelated to nasal). the surgeon put me on an anti bacterial form of antibiotic and everything (smell included) then cleared up and quickly.
I still get the smells, usually after being in or near molds, heavy dust and or change of seasons. I do believe it is all sinus related, like a bacteria or mold or something. This would explain maybe why the nasal rinse DOES work for a time. Sometimes total relief and sometimes just a few days until the "episode" passes. That is what I now call them, my smell episodes. The dry heaves just started again as the cold air and change from warm to cold and vise verse is just starting here in New England.
I do find if I just start to get the smell and I take a Benadryl dose it will sometimes stop it from blooming.
It's good to see so much activity on this thread, it was pretty dead when I first found it. I will try to continue to follow it now. Thanks all!
One more thing, I noticed a few people asking about ringing in the ears. My answer is yes, sometimes but mostly a deep down "itch" in my left ear canal that can not be scratched.
Wow... finally got through all the posts. The only thing I can add is I don't take any daily prescriptions. Occasional Vicoden when arthritis flares up. I had many issues with ear infections as a child and had my adenoids (adenoids) and tonsils removed which stopped them for years but did leave scar tissue in my inner ear. It is what I think causes my deep inner ear itch, but now who knows, maybe not? Other than the arthritis I am healthy except for being over weight.
environmental allergies, cause by the toxins we are being sprayed with .  look up on utube 'what on earth are they spraying'
I'm re-posting this because I'm not sure if "All" could see it.  Still doing well with the Xlear...

i've been bothered with smells in my nose for a few months. started after a cold around the beginning of october?  at first i had zero idea that there was a smell in my nose; i just thought the burnt toast that morning stayed in my nose.gradually, the smell got worse and also more clearly gas - fumish.  hard to define.  i also have sinus symptoms like post nasal drip and feel fluish, feverish, achy neck and body etc. my doctor referred me to an ENT.  i see the specialist tomorrow.  after i told my doc i researched fungal and bacterial issues in my sinuses,  my doc said yes it could be fungal or bacterial.  he said i could get a compounded pharmacist to make a spray for me but first go to ENT guy.  i may have to take a ct scan also.  anyway, i am miserable with this smell and nausea, etc. ofcourse at first i was fearful about brain cancer but now i'm fearful that we won't be able to get rid of this!  i'm grateful that i have a doctor who believes me and will work with me.  he is very open to natural healing as well as allopathic medicines.  i am determined to cure this.  i will certainly post whatever i learn.   so grateful you are all here.  this is an annoying disturbing unknown condition.  everyone hang in there we will figure this out together!
I smell the diesel exhaust and no one else in my home does. It's driving me crazy. But so happy to find these posts and know I'm not insane. It's so bad in the night, it wakes me up, nauseous. I haven't had a cold and don't have sinus problems. It did occur last winter so I thought maybe it was the heat in my apt building going on - we have steam radiators. But I've turned them all off and opened the windows...and I still smell the exhaust. I'll try the Xlear Nasal Spray. Thanks everybody!
Good explanation of exactley what i have. Hard to even tell if its a smell or a taist. Its just there. I have noticed a little sines head eche and a little eat eche twinge here and there. It just started today and i hope it goes away soon.
I too have been having the same problem for over a week now. It started one evening a could smell a strong smell of gas so strong i could taste it. After 3 days this smell and taste turned into petrol exhaust fumes. However, i realised this was only happening in the evening at home and whilst driving my van. So for the last 24hours, even though it is bitterly cold, i decided not to put my heating on. Well the taste and smell of petrol fumes is now hardly noticeable i.e. it definately is connected to my sinus AND is definately agrivated by heat. Exactly what it is and how to cure it i have yet to find out. I have been to my Doctors and he put it down to acid reflux which i have been given tablets for. Have been taking them for a week now and has made no difference whatsover! DID YOU FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS?
Did the xlear nasal spray clear up the condition for you?
Hi, can you please tell me if this sorted your wifes condition. I'm at desperate stages because my Doctor doesn't seem at all interested.
I have been experiencing this exhaust smell on & off for the last year. I noticed the smell getting stronger when the heat turns on with the April Air humidifier.

When I leave the house the weird smell dissipates  I believe that I have mold in my walls. It comes out on my bedroom floor boards where I can see it.

I think the mold spores activate and multiply with the humidfier turns on or when it's damp outside and I'm breathing in the spores all night.

I'm going to wipe down my floor boards and the 2 walls that are showing mold with a water/bleach mixture and  see if it makes a difference.

Does anyone else have mold problems in their house/walls?

I have been experiencing the exhaust smell on and off for the past year. I believe for me I am breathing in Mold Spores in my house. When it's damp/raining outside or when my humidifier go on with my heat in the winter.

Do you have any mold in your house? By window sills, floor boards, walls?
I have been experiencing this exhaust smell on & off over the last year. I now believe for me that I have been breathing in Mold Spores all night while sleeping when it's damp/raining outside or in the winter when the humidifier goes on with the heat.

I can see the mold around the window sill, the floor boards and on the wall. Do you have any mold in your house?
No, I don't have any mold in the house. It only mainly affects me in the evenings when the heating is on and when i am in m y van with the heater on.
I finally found out why i had been smelling and tasting diesel fumes. The van i drive at work has a diesel fuel filter leak. Must have been like hat since October!
I live in a trailer park in my RV with a half dozen bunnies, half whom I've cared for over 5 years.  About a week ago, my manager decided to kill some weeds on the public walkway adjacent to my RV using gasoline instead of a weed killer.  I smelled the vapors and went outside to request he stop, but he had already finished.  I tuned on my AC and opened door to my RV but it was sucking in more vapors.  So I turned on an exhaust fan... the vapors lingered for 5 days during which time I smelled gasoline even when the odor had dissappated outside and in the RV.  I now have a sinus infection with nasal, nasal bone and facial pain along with aching eyeballs, headache and itching ears due to the long exposure to toxic gasoline fumes and its chemical residues.  I've been using  an antihistamine nasal spray, Vicks vapor inhaler stick and swabbed inside my nose with triple action anti-bacterial ointment. So far, I feel a little better - but not much. Interestingly, I went to see a movie yesterday and wasn't aware of any symptoms when immersed into the movie Oblivion with Tom Cruise.
how did this turn out?
i have the smell n taste of gas in my nose n mouth right now and my eyes are burning n watering. its making me sick and ive been to the doctor over it before and they thought i was crazy. im not sure what this is but it is making me crazy!!! ive had it last a long time before and i dont want that again!!! if anyone has figured out what this is and how to make it go away please let me know!!!! thank you
Mine started two months ago.  I only take thyroid medication, have not had a cold in over a year. Have not had headaches, or major sinus problems. Strange.
mine just started today..thought it was an old airconditioner going bad...throwing it out..then a brisk walk around the block to find out it is still there.  I am in my third hour and going crazy but wanted to tell you my symptoms because I also have neck problems, been diagnosed with high thyroid but no medicine and also earaches and part of my nose is swollen like a year and stuffy...I hope this helps you finding anything out..maybe as I read on their will be one...also breathing inhalers (albuterol and atrovent ) Loratab and occaisonally clonipin for panic attacks or helping me sleep, polygleconol and occaisonally tylenol...hope this helps in finding a cure..pray mine will end soon!!!!  good luck!!
I had this same exhaust smell stuck in my nose recently.  After having read up from various sites about other that have this, I'll share what happened for me, and what (at least for me) I believe is at the root of the problem.

I attended a car show that was in a parking garage for about 3 hours.  I had breathed in a lot of exhaust over that time, but it wasn't bothersome, I work around cars a lot.  Later that night, I awoke several times with the smell of exhaust - as if someone was parked outside my window with the car running.  

The next two days, I would get the smell on and off again, and often when in the car - as if I became hypersensitive to the smell of exhaust from cars in front of me.  

As many note, it seems to be stronger with shallow breathing, comes and goes, but is consistently around.  

This morning, I awoke with no smell, and noticed that I didn't have the smell over the course of the night either.  I also noticed that there was a rather thick mucous in the back of my throat which seems to have traveled out of my sinuses.  I'm suspecting that the two are very related, and that:

1) A significant enough amount of exhaust molecules were trapped in the mucous in my sinuses causing the odor to show up.  That's consistent with shallow breathing (picks up molecules out of mucous and allows enough time to smell them).

2) It comes and goes by the hour - may be related to the amount of moisture in sinuses.

3) It comes and goes monthly/annually - may be related to the fact that I've had that same thick (quite thick) mucous periodically, sometimes with > 1 year between episodes.

For those that have other smells, it wouldn't surprise me if it was similar/same issue - either a significant amount of the molecules are stuck in the sinuses, or maybe some foreign material (food, bugs, who knows) are causing the other bad odors.

At least for me, the Neti pot may have worked, I didn't need to do it, but suspect the outcome would have been the same.

Hope that helps!
Same problem here.  It started after a cold with a lot of coughing and congestion.  Then I smelled a really strong smell which was sort of like gasoline or wood finish but a little sweet.  It got really strong so that all of my food tasted like the smell.  That happened about 4 weeks ago.  The smell lessened significantly after a few days but I still get "whiffs" off and on throughout the day, especially when getting up in the morning and after I have been bending down.   I have GERD for some time and am thinking that it might be related to this somehow.   Also, I think I am experiencing some bloating.
t
I have the same problem and I think I might know what is going on.  I was reading the following post from someone in this forum:

"It started after a cold with a lot of coughing and congestion.  Then I smelled a really strong smell which was sort of like gasoline or wood finish but a little sweet.  It got really strong so that all of my food tasted like the smell.  That happened about 4 weeks ago.  The smell lessened significantly after a few days but I still get "whiffs" off and on throughout the day, especially when getting up in the morning and after I have been bending down.  I have GERD for some time and am thinking that it might be related to this somehow.  Also, I think I am experiencing some bloating."

When I read this message I found an "exact" match with what I have been experiencing.  I also have GERD.   I noticed a few other important signs that were not mentioned.  During the initial few days when the smell was really strong, which occurred towards the end of my cold, I smelled some of the phlegm that I coughed up and, to my surprise, it had a very strong smell just like the smell that I had been smelling.  Four weeks out now, the smell of the phlegm is just about gone, and although the "whiffs" are still happening (often in the morning but several more time throughout the day) the symptoms seem to be gradually going away.

So here is what I think is happening, at least for this case.   The coughing from the cold caused some of the stomach acids to be aspirated into the lungs.   Normally there is a barrier that will prevent this but the acid damaged the barrier and so some acidic material went into the lungs.  That would explain several things: (1) whenever I get a cold, the coughing often lingers for up to a month afterwards.  (2) It explains the smell in the phlegm that was coughed up.   So I looked this up on Google, "acid aspiration into lungs with GERD" or something like that and you do indeed find that the acid can get into the lungs for GERD sufferers.   I suspect that the smell is actually coming from the acid damaged lungs.   According to what I read, the body eventually repairs the damage unless this happens repeatedly in which case there are certain types of lung diseases that you can get.  

So, if you have GERD, make sure you keep treating the problem, especially when you are having a cold.   Be aware that heavy coughing may lead to acid aspiration into the lungs.   That's my take anyway.  I should say that I am not a medical doctor so I might be wrong and some of the people in this forum have symptoms that are a lot different from mine.
I too have this smell anomaly, although I first thought that exhaust fumes were leaking into the house from the lawn mower being used outside. It is as though the fumes are trapped in my nose. I continually ask if anyone else can smell it and I come up with negatives.  I have been taking synthroid for about 5 years.  I have had a lot of dentistry, most recently a root canal that I was told was close to the sinus.I did break out in a rash on the side of my face and neck where the root canal was done. I suffer from facial pain, tmd, and jaw pain. The only possible related procedure was this very deep root canal done several weeks prior to developing the smell.???
Hope u can sue him....the stupid fool...I am so sorry that you are going thru this....for me it was my immediate neighbors burning pesticide laden agriculture waste and my roommate refused to close his door or windows; thereby flooding the house with smoke...which I have smelled eversense.all around on across Oahu the island I live on, AND on Maui: inside, outside, mornings, nights, behind cars, on top of mountains with pristine clean air, and no it is not vog (which our islands are famous for,I know because I can check that index and that's on the Big Island of Hawaii which is hundreds of miles from here anyway ). I smell  burning pesticide, and rotten stinking smelling sulfur, diesel like, compost like, garbage ever since then I have had "phantom (debatable) smells".I've also snow all weird sweet acrid lamp oil like smell that that person described. Also, and yes I have had hives,I've had headaches, and I've had burning eyes and throat, as well. This has been ongoing since last December 2012. I don't want to sound like that nut job or anything but, do you suppose they may be spraying something and at high attitudes perhaps coming out of the diesel fuel? I'm not talking about chemtrails in an " aliens are over taking the government"  or anything like that. What i di wonder is whether taking cost cutting corners and maybe using a cheaper jet fuel and/or additives that we may be smelling the residuals of the particulates descending down upon us, and maybe some of us are more symptomatic than others to the affects. Or maybe its additives in the gasoline, deliberate or unintentional by the supplier or distributor (just a thought). I don't think those ideas are far fetched. I'm not into conspiracies I just want an answer I am looking for solutions I wanna know what we are experiencing because collectively this is horrendous individually but first of all I can't imagine how the toll, and the ripple effect it is having on all our lives combined! And, this is just a few of us that happen to be talking about it in this forum, so it must be so much more significant and larger in scale!
Well, for me it was my immediate neighbors burning pesticide laden agriculture waste and my roommate refused to close his door or windows; thereby flooding the house with smoke...which I have smelled eversense.all around on across Oahu the island I live on, AND on Maui: inside, outside, mornings, nights, behind cars, on top of mountains with pristine clean air, and no it is not vog (which our islands are famous for,I know because I can check that index and that's on the Big Island of Hawaii which is hundreds of miles from here anyway ). I smell  burning pesticide, and rotten stinking smelling sulfur, diesel like, compost like, garbage ever since then I have had "phantom (debatable) smells".I've also snow all weird sweet acrid lamp oil like smell that that person described and I have had hives yes I have hives I've had headaches and I've had burning eyes throat as well and this has been ongoing since last December 2012 I don't want to sound like that nut job or anything but do you suppose they may be spraying something and that these attitudes are coming out of the diesel fuel I'm not talking about chemtrails in aliens over taking the government or anything crazy day but I'm taking about quote for Asians cost cutting corners and maybe using a cheaper at a gym or jet fuel all that we may be smelling the residuals other article it's a descending down upon us and maybe some of us are more symptomatic than others
also I forgot to mention I have two air purifiers going in my house (both have the one has UV light) I'd installed a brand new air conditioner, I vacuumed cleaned and covered inside drains throught my entire house, I recently moved from one side of the island to the other, also bought a brand new car, laundered all of my clothes and washed everything that has fabric and yet the smell still persists!!!! additionally when I went to Maui for 2 weeks the smell was there as well,!! there's no escaping it!
I have found after years of smelling strong chemicals almost everywhere I go and having them linger constantly in my nose even after I've been away from the source, is that the problem was actually in my nose (body). I could smell paint, gas, mold, perfume, sick people, cleaning products, detergent and most any toxic fumes; and once I had an intial exposure, it would cause me to be ultra sensitive and to feel as if I was swimming in a chemical soup odor. Right now I am 100% free of this hyper-sensitivity and my nose is completely clear and fresh and normal in it's smelling sense. This healing occurred through ridding my body of systemic Candida, especially the yeasts that were living in my nasal and sinus passageways. You will be amazed once you start to eliminate this fungus, how much toxic yeasts have been lodged in your body affecting its basic functions, i.e, sense of smell. I explain how I went about cleansing my body of these pathogens on my blog at  http://heallovenow.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-candida-cleanse.html  Bless you and don't give up hope. I think I had it worse than most and am totally free of it now!
OMG!!!
For the last two months we, my husband &  I have been smelling this Exhaust  smell off and on.
Before we only smelled it at night starting around sunset off and on,  now we are smelling it through out the day and night,  We thought we were going nuts!  First we checked ourselves,   then all around the house,  then around our neighborhood,,   NOTHING !
The only other conclusion would be is that,
Our GOD DAM government is testing some weather controlling crap,  seeding the clouds ( along with us)  or Chem. Trails ( which does smell like carbon monoxide,)  whatever the case, after reading  100's of blogs on other  sites, ( in regards to the Islands and the weird Exhaust smells,  people are starting to talk )  SOMEONE IS SPRAYING US!
I live in Lahaina and WE WANT IT TO STOP!!
It gives us headaches, body aches, hard to breath,  coughing  etc...
Yesterday , we purchased on line 2 Carbon Monoxide units, when they arrive we will let everyone know the readings, so far Ive heard of at least 100 people complaining  on the island of this strange odor that seems to come and go,  which makes us feel like we are NOT going crazy. (thank you internet) one med site...  [url] http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/Strange-gas-smell-/show/425681#post_comment[/url]

Very Sincerely
Maui Islander
OMG!!!

Very Sincerely
Maui Islander
OMG!!!

Very Sincerely
Maui Islander
OMG!!!
Yesterday , we purchased on line 2 Carbon Monoxide units, when they arrive we will let everyone know the readings, so far Ive heard of at least 100 people complaining  on the island of this strange odor that seems to come and go,  which makes us feel like we are NOT going crazy. (thank you internet) Ask yourself, Why can I smell other things normal, if it was sinus or mold , or any infection then all odors would be compromised.
We can smell everything else as normal, from fruit, flowers ...everything.
Someone is spraying US!

Very Sincerely
Maui Islander
OMG!!!
Someone is spraying US!
OMG!!!
Someone is spraying US!
Unfortunately, Lightstorm9, if both you AND your husband are smelling the same strange odor, that is not what this thread is about.  (Unless it has changed and I'm not aware of it.)  What we are all seeking help with is a chronic internal condition that changes or interferes with our personal sense of smell.  It is not coming from an outside source, no one else can smell what we're smelling.  Sorry, I hope you find a resolution to your problem, but I'm afraid you won't find it being discussed here, we're talking about something completely different.  Good luck.
OK... speaking of the problem... it's still too early to know for sure, but I might be experiencing some relief from it after three years of having virtually no sense of smell, or a very distorted one.  Ten days ago, I had a colonoscopy.  The last one I had before that was in 1987, or 27 years ago.  (Yes, I know, I shouldn't have waited that long.)  They found many polyps, two or three were very large, according to my gastroenterologist.  But, thankfully, the biopsies all came back negative for cancer.  I've noticed some BIG changes to my system, all for the better.  Those things must have been really interfering with the proper function of my insides!  BUT, yesterday, I just happened to notice that, for the first time in three years, I smelled coffee brewing!  Then I started sniffing around, and realized that I'm smelling all kinds of things I haven't smelled in years!  It's not exactly back to fully normal again, but it's a definite improvement.  I'm anxious to see if it will continue to improve.  I have a follow-up appointment scheduled with my gastroenterologist in mid-April, and I plan to ask him about it.  Could it be that some of those polyps were allowing some toxins to get out of my colon and into the bloodstream, not enough to make me sick, but enough to affect my sense of smell?
I have found now that if I even get a hint of the smell I take a Mucinex D (the orange box) and it kicks it right out. In speaking with a Doctor I was told it may be a type of fungus that grows in the sinus that could cause the unpleasant smell. Makes sense, as nasal flushing (neti pot or similar) seems to help with repetition as well. Now I just take a Mucinex D as soon as I get any kind of a head cold or if the smell occurs. I will say after having had to deal with it for so long (couple of years on and off) I haven't had any issues for over a year now, I hope this helps any of you suffering from this weird phenomena. If bad I suggest flushing a couple times a day for a few days AND using the Mucinex D.